Some rules in hockey don't make sense if you think about them, for example...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Some rules in hockey don't make sense if you think about them, for example...

You can't handle the puck with your hand and push it to a team mate in the offensive zone.  They will blow the whistle for a hand pass for that, but handling the puck and passing it to yourself is fine.

Why is the classic stick lift move not interference? 

If you jockey for position in front of the net, that's fine, do the same thing at center ice, it's a penalty.

Ever notice that they kick guys out of the face off circle pretty often, but don't recall ever seeing the 2nd face off guy getting thrown out.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Re: Some rules in hockey don't make sense if you think about them, for example...

Question, if when the net is empty and the defenseman knocks down a puck at the blue line with a high stick as the defensive team tries to clear it, shouldn't that be an automatic goal?  I don't think it is, but it should be.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Re: Some rules in hockey don't make sense if you think about them, for example...

For me it is the illegality of kicking of the puck into the net. Why not? It was created for safety reasons, I think, but really...no player is going to drop-kick the puck toward the net. Dumb rule.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Sorry to burst your bubble, but the rules make sense, you just don't understand them.

In response to BadHabitude's comment:
    [QUOTE]

You can't handle the puck with your hand and push it to a team mate in the offensive zone.  They will blow the whistle for a hand pass for that, but handling the puck and passing it to yourself is fine.

This rule is to prevent the game into evolving into throwing the puck from player to player.  It's OK to give it yourself, because that's not a "pass" and thus, not a "hand pass".  It is preferred that you use your hand and not your stick in this situation to prevent stick-swinging.

Stick on stick is how you defend and is perfectly legal.  Interference is only intended when you obstruct a persons movement.  You are allowed to follow them and you are allowed to defend all players regardless of whether they have the puck.  Body Contact is only allowed with the puck carrier, with the original intent of separating them from the puck.

If you jockey for position in front of the net, that's fine, do the same thing at center ice, it's a penalty.

You can jockey for position anywhere as long as you aren't obstructing a players movement.  Players just don't jockey for space in some random spot near a sponsers logo out passed the blue line.  If they did, I think we'd all laugh.  Even in front of the net, if a player is jockeying and attempts to move elsewhere (such as behind the net) and the opponent steps in front of them and obstructs them, it's a penalty.

Ever notice that they kick guys out of the face off circle pretty often, but don't recall ever seeing the 2nd face off guy getting thrown out.

Players tend to get kicked out for lack of focus.  The second player tends to be much more focused and careful about the draw, because if he gets kicked out you could be looking at a really poor player on faceoffs coming in.  Further, if players keep getting kicked out, the team can get a delay of game penalty so the players are extra mindful of that.

[/QUOTE]

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I like the differences in the rules of hockey.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:
    [QUOTE]

For me it is the illegality of kicking of the puck into the net. Why not? It was created for safety reasons, I think, but really...no player is going to drop-kick the puck toward the net. Dumb rule.

[/QUOTE]

Tell that to Erik Karlsson. Skates are very dandgerous.  You can't have players kicking.  Also, you can't get a high-sticking penalty if you are in the process of shooting because it's part of the game... no matter how much damage you do to a persons face.  In much the same way if you allow kicking pucks to score, do you call a penalty if you kick, score and slice your opponents ankle in the same process?  Hockey is not soccer.

I will say that the old rule of not being able to "redirect" a puck with your skate was stupid... but that's why they got rid of it.  But we don't need players kicking at pucks.  I like my ankles intact.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to OatesCam's comment:
    [QUOTE]

You can jockey for position anywhere as long as you aren't obstructing a players movement.  Players just don't jockey for space in some random spot near a sponsers logo out passed the blue line.  If they did, I think we'd all laugh.  Even in front of the net, if a player is jockeying and attempts to move elsewhere (such as behind the net) and the opponent steps in front of them and obstructs them, it's a penalty.

Players tend to get kicked out for lack of focus.  The second player tends to be much more focused and careful about the draw, because if he gets kicked out you could be looking at a really poor player on faceoffs coming in.  Further, if players keep getting kicked out, the team can get a delay of game penalty so the players are extra mindful of that.

[/QUOTE]

Lots of stuff is let go in front of the net.  It's a hockey thing.  When you get to the front of the net, you waive some of your rights.  Often times, the right to stand up straight is one of them.  The refs let it go.

I never thought about the second faceoff guy, but BHab is right.  Think of how many times the first guy gets kicked out and how many time the second guy does.  The refs just go with "screw it, I'm dropping it anyway".

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

I never thought about the second faceoff guy, but BHab is right.  Think of how many times the first guy gets kicked out and how many time the second guy does.  The refs just go with "screw it, I'm dropping it anyway".

[/QUOTE]

Another case of the linesmen letting it go.

Otherwise penalty..............which they obviously don't want to call ( chintzy penalty and players know it doesn't get called ) because of their " screw it, I'm dropping it anyways " actions.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

oatescam - I take your point about gloving it, however I see this play reasonably often when a player gets a glove on a high puck and it inadvertently goes to a team mate.

Blown dead.

They should fix that.  Defensive team wants to get the puck out they should pay for flipping it out of the zone.

re: second face off guy - I don't believe I have never seen the second guy get thrown out.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

re: second face off guy - I don't believe I have never seen the second guy get thrown out.

[/QUOTE]

I have.........not recently though.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

The reason the second guy never gets thrown out is that it's an automatic penalty. One that refs just won't call. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to bostonfan191646's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The reason the second guy never gets thrown out is that it's an automatic penalty. One that refs just won't call. 

[/QUOTE]

Huh? You sure about that?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I think its after the 2nd guy.  It is in CIS hockey.  Unless its been changed. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Rule 76.6. Two violations by the same team results in a bench minor for delay of game faceoff violation

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

How many fakes and false drops will it take to get a linesman kicked out?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

[QUOTE]

Sorry to burst your bubble, but the rules make sense, you just don't understand them.

[QUOTE]

This rule is to prevent the game into evolving into throwing the puck from player to player.  It's OK to give it yourself, because that's not a "pass" and thus, not a "hand pass".  It is preferred that you use your hand and not your stick in this situation to prevent stick-swinging.

Stick on stick is how you defend and is perfectly legal.  Interference is only intended when you obstruct a persons movement.  You are allowed to follow them and you are allowed to defend all players regardless of whether they have the puck.  Body Contact is only allowed with the puck carrier, with the original intent of separating them from the puck.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Couldn't disagree on the faceoff bit more. Face offs are probably where a players focus is at it's highest. The problem: they're focused on cheating

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davinator. Show Davinator's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to shuperman's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Rule 76.6. Two violations by the same team results in a bench minor for delay of game faceoff violation

[/QUOTE]

Correct. And if you notice the linesman almost always talks to the player taking the second faceoff, reminding him that if he messes up, it is AutoPenalty. That will get your attention in a hurry.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

How many fakes and false drops will it take to get a linesman kicked out?

[/QUOTE]

That's a pet peeve of mine in the current game.  I hate that.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

I think your challenge in implementing this is what is "inadvertently"?  Players can be sneaky and refs can be judgmental.  If the ref from game 7 against Montreal was making the call, you can be sure that a Marchand play would be called dead while a Markov hand pass would be let go.l

[QUOTE]

oatescam - I take your point about gloving it, however I see this play reasonably often when a player gets a glove on a high puck and it inadvertently goes to a team mate.

Blown dead.

They should fix that.  Defensive team wants to get the puck out they should pay for flipping it out of the zone.

[/QUOTE]

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

I hate the charging rule as it stands now.  It needs an overhaul.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

re: the classic stick lift

But if you lift a guy's stick if the puck is no where near, that would be an interference penalty probably - if a forward skated out to the blue line and lifted the defenseman's stick.  But if the puck is moving toward the defenseman, it's fine.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Another ref thing I don't like is when they help players.

I've seen a ref pick up a goalie stick and hand it to him when the play went the other way, and I've seen refs help players off the ice who have a broken skate blade.

I don't like them doing it because there is no way they can be consistent about it as they help players only when it's convenient for them.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

In response to Chowdahkid-'s comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I have.........not recently though.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Ditto - not since it became a penalty a few years back.  Used to happen all the time in the Battle of Alberta.  Joel Otto vs. Messier was usually good for a lot of jockeying and Otto was one of the few guys who could take the pounding Messier would deal out and keep coming back and winning his share of draws.  A few times a game, they'd toss one or the other of the two and the guy coming in would cheat in any way possible just to have a chance of winning and also not getting slashed, speared, head-butted....  Sometimes he got booted, too.  Never saw the third guy get bounced though.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

The hand pass thing should be an easy fix - the receiving player can only touch the puck with his stick - if it wasn't for the injury risk.  There's a little overlap here with the stick lift in that it's part of the game when two players go for a lose puck and in the battle for it, one or the other stick breaks.  If I reach out with my hand to grab the puck as it goes by, but you choose to try to knock it down with your stick, and you break my wrist, then there's a problem. 

It is a little hard to say this is a good reason when you allow it in the defensive zone, though - in fact, the difference means the D zone guy will be able to use his hand and the O zone guy will have to use his stick.  So I guess, in combination with not being able to close your hand on the puck, this is a way to discourage the use of the hands to make skill plays.

That's what a lot of this really comes down to for me - make players make skill plays with the stick, not the hands or to some extent the feet.  That's the game.

Are you not entertained?!?!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]

I hate the charging rule as it stands now.  It needs an overhaul.

[/QUOTE]

You mean the fact that charging is defined as charging?

So stupid.

Sections
Shortcuts