Someone has to start the line combo discussion.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

Someone has to start the line combo discussion.

I'll fall on the sword on this one....I'm still bored....

For me, THE biggest question I have going into camp is where Julien wants to play Seguin. The Bs have a better sense of Savard's unlikely return these days. Coupled with Krejci's upcoming free agency, and it seems vital that Seguin get comfortable at his natural center position sooner rather than later. Obviously they didn't want to rush him last year, but the kid has tons more experience especially given the Cup run, and the championship buys the Bruins some leeway to do what's right for the long-term and not just go "all in" to win today. All these factors, to me, point to Seguin slotted into the 3rd line center job in camp.

From there, the dominoes fall. It seems unlikely that:

a) Poluiot is good enough to land the 2nd line wing position
    b) Caron or another rookie is good enough to be in that spot coming out of camp
    c) Julien would want three centers on one line (Kelly, Peverly, Seguin)

So how do you guys see this shaking down offensively? Not just line combos, but what are the factors/reasons why you see things going a certain way?

The safe route:

Lucic-Krejci-Horton
    Marchand-Bergeron-Peverly
    Kelly-Seguin-Pouliot
    Thornton-Campbell-Paille

I don't see any young guys getting a crack at the lineup just yet, but it'll come later with injuries and/or poor play. Caron beat out Paille for a spot last year, so that could happen again.

On defence, the Bruins did a good job of creating balance during the regular season to gobble up minutes, and then switch to top-loaded when needed in the playoffs. The most stable guys back there are Chara-Seids-Ference, so I'd like to see:

Chara-Corvo
    Seidenberg-Boychuck
    Ference-McQuaid

Who you got?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsIn4. Show BruinsIn4's posts

Re: Someone has to start the line combo discussion.

Now that's a line where Seguin has no chance to shine...

I think a second line of Marchy, Bergy and Tyler would be dynamic.

Kelly-Peverly-Pouliot is a reasonable 3rd line to me.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chappy28. Show Chappy28's posts

I think Tyler gets one more year on the wing -- to help minimize the defensive responsibilities and get his confidence going scoring goals.  Put him with a good center and he WILL score 25+ goals this season.  He has the best shot on the team.

After this upcoming season, Kelly and Peverly's contracts are up clearing room for Seguin to make the switch to his natural center position.  Then Bergy, Marchand and Caron will make up our 2nd/3rd line shutdown group and they will give Seguin at least one skilled winger to play with to make up our second scoring line

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

All of this is interesting, particularly since there are some unknowns involved. No problem with Seguin on Bergeron's wng as he will get a number of face-off opportunities, plus will learn how to play two-way hockey from the best on the Bruins. Pouliot could very well fit on the third line, but, Who does Claude have to teach or develop? Development is Sweeney's bag, but he doesn't seem to focus on the NHL team. Just read where Lindsey Ruff made his development coach, who did work with Gerbe and Ennis last year, one of his assistents. Are we too set into Claude's structure to evolve into a better scoring team? Also what about the PP? Who on Claude's staff hasn't had a shot at changing or improving the Power Play?? The skills exist, so it boils down to a process. Something has to give, and if it's not the players who just won the CUP, what about all the "yes" men on Claude's staff ??

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from hibachibbq3. Show hibachibbq3's posts

In Response to Re: Someone has to start the line combo discussion.:
    Now that's a line where Seguin has no chance to shine... I think a second line of Marchy, Bergy and Tyler would be dynamic. Kelly-Peverly-Pouliot is a reasonable 3rd line to me.
    Posted by BruinsIn4

I really hope the only line Poulliot sees is the buffet line on the 9th floor. 
    People forget how good Caron was early on last season, and I was bummed to see  him bumped down to Providence.
    I think he'll make the team out of camp and be on that 3rd line.

Lucic-Krecji-Horton
    Marchy-Bergy-Seguin
    Peverley-Kelly-Caron
    Paille-Campbell-Thornton

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chappy28. Show Chappy28's posts

I also would not mind seeing Poulliot not make the team.  If for no other reason than he was on on the Canadians.  From reading the scouting reports we have a few guys in Providence and juniors that could fill that spot.  Taking a chance on an underpreformer is all well and good, but there's nothing like some home grown talent!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Start Seguin on the 3rd line until he forces his way onto the top two, just like Marchand did last year.  Start him with some PP time to help him develop too.  I don't see anyone on the top two lines that should be supplanted by Seguin to start the season.  Make the kid earn it.

Rotate Peverly in for a little time on the top line and give Horton some time with Bergeron.  Might balance the speed a little.  I think speed on the wing opposite Lucic might be very rewarding.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

Fletch - Now you're talking. As tempting as it is to pair Seguin with Bergeron, it's just not the same as playing the actual center position to learn the ropes and earn a spot. Plus, Kelly is an excellent 2-way player who can play the mentor role. Not saying he has Bergeron's talent, but his mind is there and it could benefit Seguin's development as a center.

As for disrupting the 1st line, I actually agree to some extent but thought it would cloud the discussion. Kidding aside, I'd actually prefer to see more balance between speed, skill and thump on each line:

Marchand-Krejci-Horton
    Lucic-Bergeron-Peverly
    Kelly-Seguin-Pouliot
    Caron-Campbell-Paille

But that's crazy talk.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"a) Poluiot is good enough to land the 2nd line wing position
    b) Caron or another rookie is good enough to be in that spot coming out of camp
    c) Julien would want three centers on one line (Kelly, Peverly, Seguin)"

Nailed it again Asmaha but "C" is in the air. Who wants to play with the red hot Marchand and Bergeron ?

Peverley has the inside track he is in Julien's favor because of course he can back check, be found when the Defensman looks up for an outlet to get the puck out and started to feel comfortable with his teammates. Chiarelli wins as he sits down to speak with Arniel, Sauve, Spooner, Knight and Caron "You want a job!? Go get it!"

BadHab is right camp and the preseason games are going to be fun to watch because about 7 forwards will be fighting for every inch of ice time.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonFan07. Show BostonFan07's posts

It will most likely be...

Lucic-Krejci-Horton
    Marchand-Bergeron-Seguin
    Peverley-Kelly-Caron
    Paille-Campbell-Thornton

But I think it should be...

Seguin-Krejci-Horton
    Marchand-Bergeron-Lucic
    Peverley-Kelly-Caron/Knight/Spooner(depending on whether or not the latter 2 return to juniors)
    Paille-Campbell-Thornton

this combination gives them 2 multi-dimensional lines and Krejci gets the top level skill player he so desparately needs

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chappy28. Show Chappy28's posts

Fletch - Now you're talking. As tempting as it is to pair Seguin with Bergeron, it's just not the same as playing the actual center position to learn the ropes and earn a spot. Plus, Kelly is an excellent 2-way player who can play the mentor role. Not saying he has Bergeron's talent, but his mind is there and it could benefit Seguin's development as a center. As for disrupting the 1st line, I actually agree to some extent but thought it would cloud the discussion. Kidding aside, I'd actually prefer to see more balance between speed, skill and thump on each line: Marchand-Krejci-Horton Lucic-Bergeron-Peverly Kelly-Seguin-Pouliot Caron-Campbell-Paille But that's crazy talk.
    Posted by asmaha

Why split up Bergeron and Marchand?  The two had great chemistry from the start!  They complement each other well in their ability to forecheck and pick off passes.  While the Krecji line generates most of their offence breaking into the zone, Bergeron and Marchand get it done by stealing the puck and quick counter-attacks.  Plus I think its important that Bergeron be paired with a 'shoot first' winger as he is more of a 'pass first' kinda guy

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jeg4. Show jeg4's posts

What makes anyone think that Sponner or Knight are better options than Pouliot? Must be the "smart" thing to say. 

There will be no major changes barring injuries

Pouliot replaces Ryder on the 3rd line.
    Seguin replaces Recchi on the 2nd line.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

But I think it should be... Seguin-Krejci-Horton Marchand-Bergeron-Lucic Peverley-Kelly-Caron/Knight/Spooner(depending on whether or not the latter 2 return to juniors) Paille-Campbell-Thornton this combination gives them 2 multi-dimensional lines and Krejci gets the top level skill player he so desparately needs
    Posted by BostonFan07

No way Lucic is on the right wing.  He's a left wing. 

And why put Seguin on the top line already?  Why is everyone so opposed to having this kid earn his playing time in the top six, just like everyone else?  Let him develop instead of yanking other guys who have earned their spot.

I doubt they would have signed Pouliot if they were not planning on using him at the start of the season.  He'll be in there to start.  Whether he stays or not...who knows...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from huntbri. Show huntbri's posts

In my opinion, if you are going to play Seguin on the wing he needs to be on one of the top 2 lines.  I do like him with Bergeron and Marchand.  That allows Kelly to be the 3rd line centre with Peverly on his line (a line that can check and chip in with some goals) and Campbell to be the 4th line centre. I don't think playing wing on the 3rd line with average offensive players at best, is going to help Tyler's development.  At least if he was centre on the 3rd line, he could work on continuing to develop his game on the defensive side of the puck. I suppose if he was at least a regular on the powerplay they could start the season with him as a winger on the 3rd line, if they want to see what strides he has made.  If he is able to show more consistency than last year, I think he needs to be on the 2nd line as a winger this year so that he can establish himself as a consistent offensive force.  Perhaps then in the next year or two they could look at moving him to centre.  So my vote is 2nd line winger but if not then 3rd line centre.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

I like Kelly with Bergeron and Marchand.  This is our top shut down line who will play against the other teams top offensive line.  That is more Kelly than anybody.  Kelly has shown he can score the odd one too.  Peverly then plays with Seguin giving him a more offensive linemate.  The third wheel with those two is dependant on who earns the spot.  There are a few candidates.   

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Lucic-Krejci-Horton
    Marchand-Bergeron-Peverly
    Kelly-Seguin-Pouliot
    Thornton-Campbell-Paille

That's exactly what I think also, Asthma.

If Pouliot fails or Caron dazzles, it might look differently, but to start the pre-season, this has to be the way Julien has it.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

I am not sure on the defensive pairings quite yet, Corvo needs to find a place on the team.  I am apt to believe Seidenberg and Chara will be a pairing at the beginning of the year.  Corvo will fill in once he has some chemistry with another defenseman.  Thanks for not adding Kampfer to the list!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

In my opinion, if you are going to play Seguin on the wing he needs to be on one of the top 2 lines.  I do like him with Bergeron and Marchand.  That allows Kelly to be the 3rd line centre with Peverly on his line (a line that can check and chip in with some goals) and Campbell to be the 4th line centre. I don't think playing wing on the 3rd line with average offensive players at best, is going to help Tyler's development.  At least if he was centre on the 3rd line, he could work on continuing to develop his game on the defensive side of the puck. I suppose if he was at least a regular on the powerplay they could start the season with him as a winger on the 3rd line, if they want to see what strides he has made.  If he is able to show more consistency than last year, I think he needs to be on the 2nd line as a winger this year so that he can establish himself as a consistent offensive force.  Perhaps then in the next year or two they could look at moving him to centre.  So my vote is 2nd line winger but if not then 3rd line centre.
    Posted by huntbri

The Seguin comment is worthy of discussion.  I am firmly in the belief that the time to experiment with young people is in October not March.  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from huntbri. Show huntbri's posts

In Response to Re: Someone has to start the line combo discussion. : The Seguin comment is worthy of discussion.  I am firmly in the belief that the time to experiment with young people is in October not March.  
    Posted by islamorada

I agree so I think they need to decide whether they want him to be a 2nd line winger or a 3rd line centre for the 2011-12 season.  They then need to start the season by giving him a solid number of games - perhaps 20 or so, and a solid number of minutes per game - 15 or so, with the same line-mates, to allow him to try to get into a groove and maintain some consistency.  I think he should also be a mainstay on the 2nd powerplay unit over that period of games as well.  Of course if he really doesn't do well or the team really struggles, or there are injuries, CJ may be forced to make changes sooner, but I really believe if you want consistency from a young player you have to put them in a consistent situation.  If he does well his confidence will grow and they will be able to have more flexibility as to where they use him.  If he doesn't do well it will show that he still has work to do to be a consistent contributor at the NHL level, but again he needs a fair chance early in the year in order for them to make a fair evaluation  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

Thanks for not adding Kampfer to the list!
    Posted by islamorada

What don't you like about Kampfer?

Sections
Shortcuts