Something smells funny Re : Marchand

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ErnestoGiove. Show ErnestoGiove's posts

Something smells funny Re : Marchand

I remember the summer of Phil Kessel. Chia kept reiterating they will match any offer, he will remain a Bruin, progress is being made and Kessel wanted to be a Bruin. Sometime after, Kessel was gone, Chia chnaged his tone to state Kessel didn't want to be a Bruin. Julien stated that he had issues with him and Kessel, off to Toronto stated what a feeling it was t be part of a "real organization".

Fast forward to this year and Brad Marchand. One month after winning the cup where he turned a few heads. Drafted in 2006, and finally living up to his potential - who should we believe? The last note I saw said progress is being made. This makes me think of what is happening behind closed doors. I know that Marchand used to have an edge when he came into training camp. I remember a fight with Chara a few years back. He did some stuff Julien didn't like. He said some things he shouldn't have. 

So I figure Chia is asking for a 3-4 years deal, probably near 12-13MM, under $4MM per. Marchand probably think he deserves something north of $4MM. Look at Ryder and Kaberle as two recent examples. What do you think the difference was that would make them bolt out of town? I don't think it was 250K or 500k. Maybe millions? Would they have offered Ryder something like $2MM? Or Kaberle 2.5MM? Penny pinching? Is that what Stamkos and Doughty are? No one seems to think that, so why should we think anything more of the Marchand situation.

We'll see, as the new season is fast approaching. I won't be the least bit surprised if they turn heads again, trade him for some prospects and picks and we hear a new tune - it turned out he didn't want to remain a Bruin, it was evident, his work ethic lacked a bit, he had some coachng issues, etc etc etc.

All I know if that he has the higghest selling jersey among the Bruins (Last time I heard), Tshirts as well - and I think his agent probably knows that means big cash in numbers. Else Marchand would be a Bruin today.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuturmouthwhenimtalkingtoyou. Show shuturmouthwhenimtalkingtoyou's posts

Re: Something smells funny Re : Marchand

There's no wrong answer. He was one of the best forwards the entire season and played even bigger in the playoffs. He isn't afraid to be the man when the situation calls for it, he likes the attention that the other leaders do not, his intensity is contagious and his skill level is vastly underrated.

But $4M is a lot of money.

I would think that Brad would be the type of player who would be open to an incentive-laden contract. If he continues to play at the level he played at this year, he will justify the additional cash moneys.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

These numbers are way off. Marchand won't sniff $4mil....nor is his agent silly enough to ask for it. Listen, there are a ton of arbitration cases coming up, and why would either side want a deal done right now without having those numbers as case studies?

It'll get done, and the difference is the goodwill that comes with winning the cup. If Marchand demands something in that $4mil you suggest, then go ahead and let him walk. Not worth it. The Bs can't just go and overspend because we like the way he competes. PC was right to walk away from Kaberle and Ryder at the money they got; he'd be right to walk away from Marchand if the numbers get out of hand.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

OK; let's try this scenerio. BM got paid $812k last season. I say give him $4.0 mill for his 1st yr & $2.0 the next 2-3. This way he's getting more than fair value for what he's done & incentive to keep it going.

Listen? How nice was it for the Boston Bruins to FINALLY have that Essa Tikkanen! Except BM got under the skin of the whole dam team; not just one player (Craig Janney) I think BM is for real; but I'm not for paying the guy over $2.5 as an average for the next 3 yrs. However; you can't just let the guy walk either. This is one of these times; where he WILL come back & bite you in the derrier. This guy is a p.i.t.a for the oppostion & if he gets rid of the foolish antics; a TRUE BOSTON BRUIN!

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sportsnutty. Show Sportsnutty's posts

I'll bite on the 50th Marchment thread but Im sure what I have to say won't be anything profound...

1. Chia probably wants to pay Marchand 2.5 mil a year for 4 years or so. Rationale: Thats what good "first year" players coming off of their rookie contract should get.
    2. Marchment's agent knows what he means to the team and knows what crazy money free-agents are getting on the open market.
    3. No one knows BM here. We do know there were some immaturity issues in juniors and they poked up several times during this past season. eg. He might be inclined to be drinking his own/his agent's kool aid.
    4. The settlement will probably be somewhere in between the two sides numbers. Unless BM's agent is asking for a 4-year 18 million contract or something ridiculous. In which case, we still own his rights, and Ill hate to see the little f^cker go, but ill enjoy the draft picks.
    Lets GO BRUINS!!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ksp57. Show ksp57's posts

I really REALLY hope that this isn't Phil Kessel Part 2 where one of the other teams threatens an offer sheet and Chiarelli caves for 3 draft picks. Marchand was meant to be a Bruin and I hope he stays one.

Also, I hope this isn't JJ figuring he won it all and now he can save a little coin and still make it to the Conference Finals anyways.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from nrguy. Show nrguy's posts

The Kessel and Marchand comparison is a good one in that they both play hockey, both scored more than 20 goals, and were both up for contract renewal.

All the comparisons end there.

Kessel wasn't a team guy, didn't/doesn't play d, Kessel was a top-10 pick (March was a 3rd), Kessel didn't play in the AHL to earn his spot, Kessel was a 3 yr vet when his entry level deal was up, and, most importantly, Marchand wants to stay here.

With the cap room available, Marchand isn't going anywhere (sorry NAS).

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from KennyBizz. Show KennyBizz's posts

Marchand signs for 3 year 11.5 Mil (3.5, 3.8 & 4.2).  He deserves the money.  The cup is here and he was a major part of that,  an absolute horse in the playoffs.  He gets on your nerves and score timely goals - that's a valuable asset.  If you don't like Marchand, you ain't a Bruins fan. His heart is on his sleeve out there fellas.  
    Simmer boys ..., he get's paid in August.   

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

If Marchand holds out for the same money as Lucic is earning and more than Krejci after having a heck of a half season and a good playoff, he can go away.

I doubt this is the case.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I just don't see many similarities between Marchand and Kessel, besides the apparent difficulty of negotiations.  The Bruins said Kessel lacked work ethic because he did.  He got benched in the playoffs.  Marchand was a beast in the playoffs and if the Bruins said he lacked work ethic, nobody would believe them.

That said, Marchand does not have the natural talent that Kessel did and he gets by on working harder and being a pain in the neck.  You never know if that stays with players who have big contracts.  Hopefully the comparisons to Pat Verbeek are accurate, because that guy never let up.

I say $4m is too much.  Marchand is still too young and too unproven to ask for that kind of money (from a team full of shrewd, sensible contracts).  Sign him to a two year deal and tell him that if he keeps getting better he will hit his big payday on the next contract.  I really doubt the fears of losing him to an offer sheet are very realistic.  That would mean another team wants to pay him $4m a year, AND lose some high draft picks to do so.  Call their bluff.  Make the kid earn the big contract for a little longer.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from KennyBizz. Show KennyBizz's posts

NAS - how much does he get? Let's hear a number..

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

Let's get two things straight here re: Marchand:

1. He has the same agent as Kessel - Wade Arnott (brother of Jason, son of Flicka)

2. No team will make an offer until they see what they have at training camp.

Therefore, don't expect Brad to sign before training camp.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Attorney's do nothing in Washington, attorney's trying to take away workers rights to negotiate in Wisconsin, two attorney's talking about blowing up company A to merge into company B, two attorney's arguing an athlete's proper salary...

Brad Marchand will be in a Bruins uniform this September and attorney's will keep...ZZZzzzzz

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Just re-freaking-lax about Mushmouth.  He has zero leverage other than an offer sheet, and there's almost no chance he gets an offer sheet big enough for the Bruins to walk because he has one season as a second line player under his belt.  Not even a full season.

No team is going to give him first line money based on one half season and a great playoff.  No one is going to take that kind of risk until they know he can be that player without Patrice Bergeron and Mark Recchi riding shotgun.  Huge risk to give $5+ to a guy known to have a short fuse and some focus issues.  And make no mistake, it would have to be $5+ before Chiarelli would balk.  Not because he really wants to pay Mushmouth $4M+, but because no team that actually wants him will come in with established 2nd liner money.  They know that won't get it done, and it would look a lot like bad faith - just trying to mess with Chiarelli's cap.

So be patient.  Call me in September if he hasn't signed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

Gotta believe the LBOH gets signed, but I agree patience is needed. Doubt it will come b4 training camp.

The diff. that Chia will see w/Marchy and Kessel is that Kess had a very one dimensional game, zero defensive ability, little forechecking acumen, and was likely not the most popular guy in the locker room.

Marchy is probably laughed at as a bit of a punk, but in a good way--like that pesky younger brother who bugs the cr*p out of you and your friends but is actually fun to have around.

and fact is, his playoff contributions were enormous.

I'm syain' he gets signed. Probably a 1 or 2 year deal, at around $2.5 to $3 Mil. As NAS said, if he holds out, I'm not gonna stamp my feet and cry about it like I did w/Kessel. Sorry, Marchy, you WERE awesome, but if you don't want to stay w/the Stanley Cup champs and be a part of a core group of young guys w/every reason to think you can win it all again, just b/c you think you're the next coming of Paul Kariya (or the like), we gotta let you go. More high draft pix wouldn't be the worst thing in the world, altho' I'm on record as saying I very much want to see SOME kind of deal get done to keep him here at least for another 3 yrs.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from biggskye. Show biggskye's posts

IMO, he will be a bruin this up-coming season. If Chiarelli won't pay what they're looking for, he will end up signing a 1 year contract for about 2.8M.
    Then, after next season (depending on the new CBA),he will have arbitration rights.
    That could be another reason for the delay in getting Marchand under contract.
    Agents are all trying to get front-loaded contracts that pay huge for the up-coming season, in order to protect their clients from a lockout.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sportsnutty. Show Sportsnutty's posts

I agree he isn't worth 4 million a year for MANY reasons. But I don't know that his agent wont ASK for 4 million a year. Especially with several teams yet to be at the salary cap floor still. I don't know as if any possibility can be ruled out. Personally, I think its just a question of waiting and getting a deal done, which should happen shortly before camp.

Lets GO BRUINS!!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

In Response to Re: Something smells funny Re : Marchand:
    [QUOTE]   IMO, he will be a bruin this up-coming season. If Chiarelli won't pay what they're looking for, he will end up signing a 1 year contract for about 2.8M. Then, after next season (depending on the new CBA),he will have arbitration rights. That could be another reason for the delay in getting Marchand under contract. Agents are all trying to get front-loaded contracts that pay huge for the up-coming season, in order to protect their clients from a lockout.
    Posted by biggskye[/QUOTE]

BOOMCHUKALAKA!!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]   IMO, he will be a bruin this up-coming season. If Chiarelli won't pay what they're looking for, he will end up signing a 1 year contract for about 2.8M. Then, after next season (depending on the new CBA),he will have arbitration rights. That could be another reason for the delay in getting Marchand under contract. Agents are all trying to get front-loaded contracts that pay huge for the up-coming season, in order to protect their clients from a lockout.
    Posted by biggskye[/QUOTE]

Protect their clients?  No, protect themselves!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Yeah, nitemare, I think bigg has a point too - that's probably what accounts for the impression of difficulty we're getting from ChiaPete when Fluto or some other inkstained wretch says "Chiarelli offered only a terse reply regarding the negotiations...".  I'd be terse too if the last conversation was "Okay, sure, 7.5 over 3, but we want 6 in the first year...".

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from crono420. Show crono420's posts

I love Marchand, don't get me wrong but Krejci and Bergeron are the core of the offense. If Marchand bolts (why would he) we would be ok

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from number08. Show number08's posts

He will get an escalating contract ala Darth Quaider. Something like $3, $3.5, $4 mil. If he pulls a Ryder in the final year -bye bye.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]He will get an escalating contract ala Darth Quaider. Something like $3, $3.5, $4 mil. If he pulls a Ryder in the final year -bye bye.
    Posted by number08[/QUOTE]
    I'm thinking a 3 year deal- $2.5, $3, $3.5mil or a 2 year deal at $2.75 per.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

[QUOTE]He will get an escalating contract ala Darth Quaider. Something like $3, $3.5, $4 mil. If he pulls a Ryder in the final year -bye bye.
    Posted by number08[/QUOTE]

The original poster here, has an interesting theory but I agree with Book and others who stress BM's lack of leverage.  I'd be surprised if a deal isn't worked out...but folks...it's all about money.
    Despite what many believe here, Kessel isn't a Bruin because he can't play defense, or because he was a locker room issue, or because he's soft, or because he has an attitude, or his lack of concern for conditioning....or because he didn't want to be a Bruin.  He's not gone for the dozen other reasons so often mentioned here.  He went to Toronto SPECIFICALLY...because Boston did not want to pay him 5.2 mil per.
    That's the only reason.
    If the price had of been 3.8, he'd still be here, and the B's would be hyping his offensive skills.  the way it worked out...they had to make their decision look good, so out came the negatives(sort of like the arbitration process).
    It's all about money.  The cap game is all about money.  You over pay, you lose.  Plain and simple.
    Kaberle and Ryder....again, all about money.  It's not that the B's weren't interested, they just didn't want to entertain all that money.  
    I think PC made the right call on all 3(he did let negotiations get away on himself with Kessel though)
    I don't think there's anything to be alarmed about, and I'm confident the B's will even "slightly" overpay for this guy.  Any more though, and past history tells us, they'll dig their heels in.
    I'm ok with that 

Sections
Shortcuts