Spooner & Khokhlachev

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Spooner & Khokhlachev

What does the future hold for these 2 guys?  Both guys appear to be "natural" centers on the smallish side and seemingly would be best suited for top-6/ PP roles.  At last check, the big club already has 2 really good top-6 centers, and a pretty good one on the 3rd line as well.  So, here we go again...

How will these two kids fit in, arguably the team's top 2 prospects?  Are they trade bait (Khokhlachev was a key piece when they thought they had Iginla from Calgary)? Are Krejci or Soderberg playing their final year here, with one of these kids the heir apparent? Can they play wing and is that their future?  Neither kid has much left to prove in the AHL, especially Spooner.

Spooner:

Just turned 22 in January, 5'10" 180lbs.  He has been just about a Point per Game guy in the AHL, even when he was dipping his toe in back in 2010 when he was 18/19; overall 31-79-110 in 116gp.  Also, coming off a year where he played 23 NHL games, picked up 11 assists and did not look out of place.  Finished the year with a productive playoff run with PBruin; 6-9-15 in 12gp.

Khokhlachev:

Won't turn 21 until September, 5'10" 185lbs.  Comes off a solid 1st full season in the AHL; 21-36-57 in 65gp.  Got a sniff with the B's for a game.  Also finished with a strong playoff run; 9-5-14 in 12gp.  Actually tied for the AHL lead in playoff goals, despite only playing n 12 games.

Nice to have good prospects in the system, would be better if they fit in where the team has holes.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Re: Spooner & Khokhlachev

Not saying this will ever happen..........but a fantasy of mine would be to put the two of them with Soderberg and see what happens.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

In response to Chowdahkid-'s comment:

Not saying this will ever happen..........but a fantasy of mine would be to put the two of them with Soderberg and see what happens.

Of the 2, do you see one guy better equipped to play the wing?

In your 3rd-line scenario, how would you want them lined up by position?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In response to Crowls2424's comment:

Koko.

From what we've seen in the NHL ( and going back to his junior days ) Spooner hasn't looked as good on the wing. 

Spooner-Soderberg-Koko.

On the weak side defensively........... Players playing out of their natural positions..........a very inexperienced trio. 

Not the best matchup for a third line........but somehow I'd like to see how they'd do together in the offensive zone with their different skill sets.

Probably not a typical Julien type of line...........but they all are offensive players which makes it an intriguing possibility for me.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Speaking of "not a typical Julien" thing to do, but, if they keep Kelly, I could see them lining up

Kelly-Soderberg-Khokhlachev

Paille-Spooner-Campbell (Campbell takes the D zone draws).

Then in games where Julien wants to kick up the O, he switches Spooner and Kelly.

Are you not entertained?!?!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

Speaking of "not a typical Julien" thing to do, but, if they keep Kelly, I could see them lining up

Then in games where Julien wants to kick up the O, he switches Spooner and Kelly.

Good idea..........and would cure my curiosity of seeing those 3 play together.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

How does that kick up the O? How many NHL goals has Spooner scored? I'm one of the ones calling for a Kelly trade but has his stock really fallen below Spooners?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

That is a phenomenal idea

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

In response to Bruinfaninnewjersey's comment:

How does that kick up the O? How many NHL goals has Spooner scored? I'm one of the ones calling for a Kelly trade but has his stock really fallen below Spooners?

Watch spooner play an nhl game, then watch Kelly and tell me who's more offensively gifted

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

In the abstract, no, probably not.  Kelly will always be a coach's best friend because he's a smart, dependable, reasonably physical, reasonably mobile veteran bottom six player.  But he has the offensive instincts of Oleg Yevenko.  Tell me you haven't lost count of the number of two on ones where Kelly is the puck carrier and he waits so long to figure out what to do that the best play he can make is to skate behind the net.  Two on one, and he decides to take the puck behind the net.  Or he has to settle for a weak, bad angle shot.  He's going to have years where he gets goals because he gets to pucks in scoring areas and he can hit the net.  He'll crash the net.  But don't ask him to make something happen from the red line in.  Spooner, on the other hand, can hang on to the puck when it's on his stick, he can skate with his head up to look for a pass, he can make a good pass to a guy he recognizes is in a good shooting area, and he can create space for Soderberg and his other linemate with his speed just by going hard to the net.  It's not even close.  If he plays enough to show he can also be a smart, savvy defensive zone player - more stick than brick - then he'll move past Kelly for sure.

[object HTMLDivElement]

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Koko.

From what we've seen in the NHL ( and going back to his junior days ) Spooner hasn't looked as good on the wing. 

Spooner-Soderberg-Koko.

On the weak side defensively........... Players playing out of their natural positions..........a very inexperienced trio. 

Not the best matchup for a third line........but somehow I'd like to see how they'd do together in the offensive zone with their different skill sets.

Probably not a typical Julien type of line...........but they all are offensive players which makes it an intriguing possibility for me.

I was thinking the same things, that Khokhlachev would be a better fit on wing than Spooner.

Like the line idea, might even have Spooner center it, with Soderberg on LW.  The Krejci & Bergeron lines are already solid defensively, the 3rd-line doesn't have to be thought of as a traditional "checking line"

Kind of like the "That's 70's Line" of the Kings, no?  Kings were able to effectively utilize young guys like Toffoli & Pearson by putting them with Carter.  Same here by putting the PBruins guys on a line together with Soderberg.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Or, if CJ goes with Chowdah's suggestion of Spooner-Soderberg-Khokhlachev; your 4th-line is Paille-Kelly-Campbell.  How is that for a defensively responsible, pain-in-the-azz line to play against?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

I just don't see both Spooner and Koko playing on the same line next season. CJ is quite conservative. I believe Florek and Fraser have the inside track over Koko.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

That's too small of a 4th line for Julien's taste I think, Florek gets the nod. KoKo got "IT" at some point in the AHL last season, I mean he just exploded offensively near the end of the year. The battle during camp for the 3rd line wing that rides with Söderberg is going be, just that, a good battle.

I wonder if Julien carry's the extra forward of extra defenseman starting in October. There is also a possibility Cassidy becomes Julien's other assistant coach. Surprised PC and Julien haven't made the decision on a new assistant yet.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[/QUOTE]

Kelly is 33 and has gone through injuries.

His goal scoring or offensive contributions is a thing of the past . How many goals do you expect from him to score this year ?

And yes ......... the stocks of older more expensive players usually falls while the young, cheaper, upcoming players stocks rise. That's usually how it works.

If Kelly didn't make so much cash ................ 4th line duties would be a perfect fit for him with his current ability.

I like what Kelly has given to the Bruins in past years. But with the present day Kelly on the 3rd line.........any kind of kicking up the O will be a chore.

Play the kids.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:

I just don't see both Spooner and Koko playing on the same line next season. CJ is quite conservative. I believe Florek and Fraser have the inside track over Koko.

You're probably right. 

But if the 3rd line isn't contributing to the offense ( as in year's past )........... does conservatism change to desperation in the search for more offense ?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

I was thinking the same things, that Khokhlachev would be a better fit on wing than Spooner.

Like the line idea, might even have Spooner center it, with Soderberg on LW.  The Krejci & Bergeron lines are already solid defensively, the 3rd-line doesn't have to be thought of as a traditional "checking line"

Kind of like the "That's 70's Line" of the Kings, no?  Kings were able to effectively utilize young guys like Toffoli & Pearson by putting them with Carter.  Same here by putting the PBruins guys on a line together with Soderberg.

[/QUOTE]

You read my mind with the Kings comparison.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

I wonder if Julien carry's the extra forward of extra defenseman starting in October.

Considering Miller is signed to a one-way contract I think it most likely he is the 7th Dman, barring injury in the pre-season of course. Keeping a 13th forward may come down to if it is worth it or possible cap-wise.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

I wonder if Julien carry's the extra forward of extra defenseman starting in October.

Barring any trades..................Miller and his one way $800,000 contract ?

Edit: Late again. I would make a lousy " Family Feud " contestant on the buzzer.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BigBadnBruin. Show BigBadnBruin's posts

I have mentioned before, that I think the two young Centers, will spend training camp on the RW, with the better performer, winning a RW spot. I won't say the battle is for the 3rd line RW, because I think it would be tough to ask Soderberg to play with a couple of rookies. I could see, Eriksson staying on the 3rd line, and Spooner/Koko getting into the top 6.

I believe that the 3rd line LW position, is Fraser's, barring injury. Kelly will become a cap casualty.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In my time I've played wing on both sides and d on both sides.  I've rarely played center so I might be prejudice in saying this, but I think the transition from center to wing should be pretty easy.  I'm really intimidated by the center position, you have to be everywhere and when you make a mistake or are slow on the backcheck it's way more obvious than if someone else does it.  And you got to help out if necessary in all 4 corners.

Yes, you would have to make adjustments, but I don't see it as much of a big deal, I think even less so than playing your opposite wing.  And no comparison in changing from forward to d and vice versa, enormous adjustments there.

But center to wing?  As long as you get the side your most comfortable with, I don't see why that would be very hard at all.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Barring any trades..................Miller and his one way $800,000 contract ?

Yep, I think Miller is up for good....assuming he doesn't get traded.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Good piece by Haggs today where Bruce Cassidy talks about the prospects and even how sees potential wingers in the group.

http://www.csnne.com/blog/bruins-talk/nhl-notes-look-young-bs-forwards-pushing-jobs

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

re: Robins "he can play"

No.  He can't.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Claudorr. Show Claudorr's posts

Robins can't play and he is not a good fighter either. He will fight all right, but he rarely wins... Reminds me of Thornton in his last two years...

Sections
Shortcuts