Spooner assigned to Providence ....."unreal"

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

Spooner assigned to Providence ....."unreal"

2 points in 2 games, good speed, great effort.....but still not enough ....we'll keep ST 

what will. It take to stay with the BRUINS ??   Minimum a hattrick and a 1st star and than the management will open their eyes...

And thats probably what he will do ...if only he would get a real trial ...more than 2 games just lile the chance Jordan Caron got ....

UNREAL !

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Re: Spooner assigned to Providence .....

I think you mean 'UNACCEPTABLE!'

I actually have to agree that I'd like to see him stay in Boston, but with a healthy roster (Eriksson back soon), some tough decisions need to be made. 

Very temporary.  He'll be back.  At some point he'll make himself indispensible, Marchand style.  Until then, he's the hard luck victim of a 2 way contract.  No big deal.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

...is it a correct statement that Spooner has options and Caron does not? If that is the case, if they send down Caron, he'd probably be scooped on recall waivers in no time.

Can someone confirm and/or clarify for me?

Stanley, I agree that Spooner deseves to stay, but I imagine they think its a better option to send down Spooner than cut loose Caron or Thornton. I see it as a good sign that Ericksson must be close to a return.

Lots of young players in this (or any) organization get yo-yo'ed. Doesn't mean they don't like him.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

I guess they are better than I realized.  Does he drink too much beer?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:

I actually have to agree that I'd like to see him stay in Boston, but with a healthy roster (Eriksson back soon), some tough decisions need to be made. 

Very temporary.  He'll be back.  At some point he'll make himself indispensible, Marchand style.  Until then, he's the hard luck victim of a 2 way contract.  No big deal.

How much longer do you think the B's hold on to Caron Fletch? When do they actually draw the line in the sand & say. "It's time to cut bait here." I have mixed feelings on the guy. He's tough along the boards & he shows flashes of being a steady 3rd line guy, but his steadiness is streaky as fawk! Now we have Spooner who certainly has shown he belongs with the parent club, but is that just adrenaline going & then complecency sets in? Remember Caron in his rookie year  when he scored something like 7 goals in 5 games or something like that  when he was playing with Bergeron & Recchi? Since then he's been a yo-yo. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Caron is tied with Rask and Thornton for points.

Enough is enough.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:

How much longer do you think the B's hold on to Caron Fletch? When do they actually draw the line in the sand & say. "It's time to cut bait here." I have mixed feelings on the guy. He's tough along the boards & he shows flashes of being a steady 3rd line guy, but his steadiness is streaky as fawk! Now we have Spooner who certainly has shown he belongs with the parent club, but is that just adrenaline going & then complecency sets in? Remember Caron in his rookie year  when he scored something like 7 goals in 5 games or something like that  when he was playing with Bergeron & Recchi? Since then he's been a yo-yo. 

Jordy has had his chance to make an impact of some kind but has been underwhelming. If his key contribution to date is that he is defensively responsible then i would say he will not end up being a long term option. There are other players in providence that will get a chance ahead of him now. I think the B's might hold on to him for awhile but ultimitely he will be traded as opposed to losing him for nothing on waivers. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

It's to be expected as both Fletch and Obie noted. We all liked Spooner's compete level and exceptional speed, and he will be back. It's time for Claude to determine how he will urge this team to play. There is more offence capability, with back-up in Providence, than Claude has had. It is time for him to realize that Thornton is a superb loyalist and cheerLeader, but no longer as good as others on the ice. It's time to give Bergeron two solid, and fast scorers on his wings if the 2nd line is to rival the 1st; it's time to play the better players available.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Yeah, I think Caron has had plenty of opportunity and perhaps that ride has run its course.

How about another idea for a roster spot -- Bench Marchand.

At least for a game.  Put Spooner in there.  I'm serious.

It's ridiculous what that guy has put forward so far this year, mainly because we all know what he's capable of now.  He's been awful.

He's being outscored by Reilly Smith and Torey Krug; he's being outhit by David Krejci; he's being outshot by Shawn Thronton, and he's the only full-time player on the Bruins with a negative +/-.  He's been the opposite of Ryan Spooner to these eyes -- uninspired. bored, lethargic, uninvolved.

I'm all for Julien's patience with guys, and I expect Marchand to come around just fine, but Spooner needs a spot and Marchand needs a kick in the azz.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

Marchand is this years Lucic. Fat got benched last year, so why not.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to bogie6's comment:

It's to be expected as both Fletch and Obie noted. We all liked Spooner's compete level and exceptional speed, and he will be back. It's time for Claude to determine how he will urge this team to play. There is more offence capability, with back-up in Providence, than Claude has had. It is time for him to realize that Thornton is a superb loyalist and cheerLeader, but no longer as good as others on the ice. It's time to give Bergeron two solid, and fast scorers on his wings if the 2nd line is to rival the 1st; it's time to play the better players available.

I've always appreciated ST & thought he was the best in league for his overall usefulness as far as being the residental "tough guy". IF & SINCE the B's continue to want to hold onto to someone in this role. I'm glad it's Thornton & not a Parros, or even worse Jon Scott! But, I to am on the "time to move on" & bring up a kid, or Johnson to play with the parents. My biggest worry though is that IF they do drop Thorts, will that then make some of the tougher B's start taking on more of the pugilist role? Will McQuaid, Lucic, Iginla & Chara think it's up to them to take care of that stuff more? 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

I think the Bruins would love to deal Kelly and get that cap space.  I would say Caron is on thin ice, but they won't demote him and get him plucked off waivers.  He could get dealt soon.  Spooner is an NHLer, no doubt.  Most likely fairly soon.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGuyWithDaThing. Show TheGuyWithDaThing's posts

They should probably just trade Caron, in all honesty. Get a mid-round pick for him (3rd or 4th) and move on. I think he has the potential to be a solid 3rd line player, but it's just not working out for him for whatever reason. Putting him with a young up-and-coming team like perhaps Edmonton or something would probably help both teams, assuming the compensation is decent for the Bruins. I totally understand the Bruins not wanting to simply waive him and not get anything for a 1st round pick which they've invested a good amount of time with, but they can't hold down a roster spot strictly due to that. They both need to move on.

Spooner is more than ready to play with the big boys. I'm not saying they need to move mountains to get him on the roster, but Caron and Thornton are not even close to the player that he is.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

Yeah, I think Caron has had plenty of opportunity and perhaps that ride has run its course.

How about another idea for a roster spot -- Bench Marchand.

At least for a game.  Put Spooner in there.  I'm serious.

It's ridiculous what that guy has put forward so far this year, mainly because we all know what he's capable of now.  He's been awful.

He's being outscored by Reilly Smith and Torey Krug; he's being outhit by David Krejci; he's being outshot by Shawn Thronton, and he's the only full-time player on the Bruins with a negative +/-.  He's been the opposite of Ryan Spooner to these eyes -- uninspired. bored, lethargic, uninvolved.

I'm all for Julien's patience with guys, and I expect Marchand to come around just fine, but Spooner needs a spot and Marchand needs a kick in the azz.

As far as I'm concerned if this organization can actually have the ballz to bench Neely. Then I think they can bench anybody! I agree that Marchand is a shadow right now. He's shown spurts, but that's about it. He certainly deserves to be watching from the press box though. But, as CJ did with Lucic...He'll let him try to play himself out of it for awhile first. Hopefully he'll come around in these next couple of games. Doesn't he have a 5pt game against the Panthers on his resume? Let's hope he can do it again. Here's a little bit of info I got from my friend in CO. Stewart is back in Hitchcock's dog house! I know this guy is a streaky fawker too, but I'd love to see this guy in a Bruin's Jersey. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Where's Whitfield ? Or Pandawful ? Begin anyone ?

No I know, the "merlot line" has been great this season.

"Ahh Ryan needs to work on his backcheck defensive part of his game and faceoffs down in the AHL"

LoL

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

Where's Whitfield ? Or Pandawful ? Begin anyone ?

No I know, the "merlot line" has been great this season.

"Ahh Ryan needs to work on his backcheck defensive part of his game and faceoffs down in the AHL"

LoL

Doing Bob Beers job the other night beside Dave Goucher. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from UtahBruin. Show UtahBruin's posts

I wanted to see Spooner get a longer look. He looked good for the 2 games and he definately belongs centering the 3rd line. He would benefit having Kelly on his wing being able to help with faceoffs more than spending time in  Providence. 

As much as I like ST I have to agree with other posters that his time has come to an end, or at least he should get less time. I think they should start rotating him with Caron. This may bring Caron's trade value up a bit as I believe he is on the way out the door. He has not lived up to expectations and the Bruin's don't want to just give him away on waivers. Who knows, maybe a regular rotation on the 4th line will get him going like it did for Marchand a few years ago. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mattc355. Show mattc355's posts

I like the kid, but he hasn't set himself apart enough to make it a clear choice.  The team might be better with Caron to be honest.  Not that Caron is more skilled, just the feel of the team.  I liked what the third line generated with Caron and Smith.  Soderberg seems to be a default lock though.  And I don't like that.  But we'll see.  He hasn't been bad either.  I still like reuniting March with the Merlot line for some reason.  But obviously I'd like to see Marchand-Bergeron-Eriksson start clicking.  So right now for me it's either Marchand or Soderberg with Bergeron and Eriksson.  With the other one on the fourth line (Marchand's case) or scratched (Sod's case).  I like Caron and Smith on the third.  Just my take.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Madhouse27. Show Madhouse27's posts

Pretty disappointing news. I thought the 3rd line had some pretty good shifts in the second half of that last game and they had that pretty goal the night before. I was hoping they'd get an opportunity to gel. Talk about a revolving door on that line...

So with Spooner back in Providence and Caron riding the pine, who's heading for 3rd line duties when Loui returns?   

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to Madhouse27's comment:

Pretty disappointing news. I thought the 3rd line had some pretty good shifts in the second half of that last game and they had that pretty goal the night before. I was hoping they'd get an opportunity to gel. Talk about a revolving door on that line...

So with Spooner back in Providence and Caron riding the pine, who's heading for 3rd line duties when Loui returns?   

Reilly Smith.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Madhouse27. Show Madhouse27's posts

In response to 50belowzero's comment:

In response to Madhouse27's comment:

Reilly Smith.

That sounds good to me. Even though it was a small sample during pre-season, those three seemed to have some natural chemistry. Hopefully Marchand gets going on the 2nd line and all is well. Maybe Caron can spot Thorton against the softer teams. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

I have to admit, I was a little surprised by this.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from gord11. Show gord11's posts

Yea this rankles a bit. Unless they are setting the table for something that will clear a little space for Spooner, I don't like this.

I see this, along with a few other personnel decisions, a few other pronouncements, that smack a little of...arrogance, of over-confidence, of complacency - Hey Peter, you gotta MAKE the Playoffs before you can WIN them.

I think you gotta be icing the best team you can, the best team you've got, all the time - regardless of two-way contracts, waivers etc.

Otherwise, I fear we're gonna see more games like the Islanders-B's the other night - where the pre-ordained conquering heroes are arriving to collect their two points and are leaving with none.

Complacency starts at the top. They don't award the Stanley Cup in November Peter.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to gord11's comment:

Yea this rankles a bit. Unless they are setting the table for something that will clear a little space for Spooner, I don't like this.

I see this, along with a few other personnel decisions, a few other pronouncements, that smack a little of...arrogance, of over-confidence, of complacency - Hey Peter, you gotta MAKE the Playoffs before you can WIN them.

I think you gotta be icing the best team you can, the best team you've got, all the time - regardless of two-way contracts, waivers etc.

Otherwise, I fear we're gonna see more games like the Islanders-B's the other night - where the pre-ordained conquering heroes are arriving to collect their two points and are leaving with none.

Complacency starts at the top. They don't award the Stanley Cup in November Peter.

Thats why i wouldn't really worry about it until April, the B's are in 5th place in the east with 2 games in hand. A little too early to worry about PC being arrogant or overconfident. Spooner will get his chance, believe me.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

I could be wrong, but Spooner being sent down tells me Eriksson is ready. If thats the case, then I have no problem with it, actually like it. Spooner is a top 6 guy, no sense having him play 3rd or 4th line here when he can play on the top line and PP unit in Providence.

Sections
Shortcuts