spooner sent down. mistake.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Re: spooner sent down. mistake.

I do kind of wonder what might have happened in Krejci's first full year if the Bruins had had any kind of option.  Bergeron was concussed. Sobotka was on the roster but not scoring the way he did in Providence.  They got pretty much every drop of what Metropolit could give them.  Their top centres in Providence were Pascal Pelletier and Matt Hendricks - neither convincing as an option.  The roster was so thin that they didn't exactly have tradeable assets on the NHL club, and a team that's just drafted 5th overall then 8th overall is in no position to trade young players for an established second line centre.

All of which suggests that if this team was that team, Spooner's probably playing tonight.  But it's not that team, that Jeebus, so he's in Providence and hopefully on the Marchand plan that will see him back next year ready to absolutely choke out a spot on the big club.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ejacks. Show ejacks's posts

<<On Caron, I can't get the line from last year or the year before out of my head - something like the rest of the league doesn't see Caron the way the Bruins do. 

There was a time when he had some more offensive punch to his game, but it seems gone.  He did nothing in Providence last year, and less in Boston.  I'd bet a dollar they could send him down unclaimed.>>

You may be right, BB.  Given his consistent "healthy scratch" status, any GM who did have interest in him has probably inquired - and PC would/should probably take whatever he can get.  Then again, if you have to have a guy not getting regular ice time at either the NHL or AHL level in order to be sure you are covered in the event of injury, etc., who would you want to do that to, other than Caron?  I think ST would handle it with class, but I don't think that's the kind of message (lunchpail veteran, and "character guy," who does the dirty work without complaint sits) that either CJ or PC want to send to the team. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ejacks. Show ejacks's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:
    [QUOTE]

All of which suggests that if this team was that team, Spooner's probably playing tonight.  But it's not that team, that Jeebus, so he's in Providence and hopefully on the Marchand plan that will see him back next year ready to absolutely choke out a spot on the big club.

[/QUOTE]

Agreed.  A rebuilding/developing team has the luxury of letting a guy like Spooner develp at the NHL level.  But a legitimate SC contender has to make sure that it has all options available - and needs to rely on guys who have gotten them there before. 

Spooner is likely a slightly worse option right now than keeping things the way they are.  And even if he is a better option, it isn't much better - and there just isn't enough of a potential difference to make it worth the risk of playing an inexperienced guy over capable vets. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

Unless it's a goon or a stay at home defenseman, if a guy cannot score in the NHL, a guy cannot play in the NHL.

[/QUOTE]

Is there a magic time frame in a player's career for this quote ?

Not goons, not stay-at home defencemen but still no goals and playing NHL hockey. Goaless in 2013-14 with more games played then Spooner.

Alex Burrows - 23 games 

Ville Leino - 35 games

Martin Erat - 45 games

Avoiding the obvious ( depth of the Bruins ) while repeating your ideas makes you look foolish while bordering on stubborness.

The reason he's back in Providence is because of a full return to health of the Bruin's forwards otherwise he'd still be on the Bruin's roster.

Everyone but you knows this.........even Stanley.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

OT: how has Erat gone 45 games without scoring?  He was always streaky in Nashville, but this is ridiculous.  I've heard radio talking heads repeat rumours (notice that that rhymes with tumours) that he's one of the not-well-liked, but man....

Conversely, how did Darcy Regeir's Trojan Horse ever put up 53 points in Philly?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Can the 3rd line provide more offense with Kelly or Spooner on the line ?

Is the 3rd line worse off defensively with Spooner on the line than having Kelly moved up from the 4th ?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:
    [QUOTE]

OT: how has Erat gone 45 games without scoring?  He was always streaky in Nashville, but this is ridiculous.  I've heard radio talking heads repeat rumours (notice that that rhymes with tumours) that he's one of the not-well-liked, but man....

Conversely, how did Darcy Regeir's Trojan Horse ever put up 53 points in Philly?

[/QUOTE]

Playing with better players ? His last year in Philly he actually looked quite good.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Leino started his Buffalo tenure with some talent around him, though - I can't remember the line combos but he certainly spent some time with Pominville, Vanek, Roy....  He looks lost every time I see him - often so much so that you hear them call his name (well, I hear them...) and it's a shock because I'd just assumed he was a healthy scratch.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Can the 3rd line provide more offense with Kelly or Spooner on the line ?

Is the 3rd line worse off defensively with Spooner on the line than having Kelly moved up from the 4th ?

[/QUOTE]

Honestly?  Kelly is better for the line both offensively and defensively, especially if Soderberg keeps playing C the way he has.  Spooner was losing possession battles that you see Soderberg winning - opportunities for the C to extend possession.  Kelly's good on the wall, fast enough to get in on the forecheck, more physical, and able to be the retrieval guy that lets the two Swedes brew up a little Glug.  You've seen them provide more offense the last few games, and while those games are against weaker teams, you can't deny that the line has looked dangerous.  Caveat is that it's been Paille and will be Paille again on the left side tonight.

Spooner will keep getting better.  He will make Kelly expendable some day.  That day is not today.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from xdrive. Show xdrive's posts

In response to bostonfan191646's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think this is a huge mistake. what do you guys think. 

[/QUOTE]

huge mistake?? no he hasnt even scored a goal the whole time he was up here. i like him and the talent is obvious but still needs to work on a few things especially face offs. besides who do you want to sit to keep him

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Good thing Kelly and his great skills in the faceoff dot were moved back to the 4th line after 50 minutes in tonights game.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to Chowdahkid-'s comment:
    [QUOTE]

Is there a magic time frame in a player's career for this quote ?

Not goons, not stay-at home defencemen but still no goals and playing NHL hockey. Goaless in 2013-14 with more games played then Spooner.

Alex Burrows - 23 games 

Ville Leino - 35 games

Martin Erat - 45 games

Avoiding the obvious ( depth of the Bruins ) while repeating your ideas makes you look foolish while bordering on stubborness.

The reason he's back in Providence is because of a full return to health of the Bruin's forwards otherwise he'd still be on the Bruin's roster.

Everyone but you knows this.........even Stanley.

[/QUOTE]

It's really sad that you don't know the difference between a rookie who has never scored an NHL goal and a veteran who isn't scoring right now.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

It's really sad that you don't know the difference between a rookie who has never scored an NHL goal and a veteran who isn't scoring right now.

[/QUOTE]

It's really sad that you don't see the real reason that Spooner was sent down was because the Bruins have all their forwards healthy.

Everyone else does.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to Chowdahkid-'s comment:
    [QUOTE]

It's really sad that you don't see the real reason that Spooner was sent down was because the Bruins have all their forwards healthy.

Everyone else does.

[/QUOTE]

If he were playing great, he could have forced them to make a move.  They could have kept him in the press box and subbed him in and out of the lineup.

I'm hoping that the guy turns out to be a great NHL player, or even a good one.  As of now, he can't score in the NHL.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

If he were playing great, he could have forced them to make a move.  They could have kept him in the press box and subbed him in and out of the lineup.

I'm hoping that the guy turns out to be a great NHL player, or even a good one.  As of now, he can't score in the NHL.

[/QUOTE]

All obvious observations except for the subbing in part..........unlike your claims of can't score, can't play. That's not why he was sent down.

Once again you fail to acknowledge the numbers game of the Bruins depth. I'm guessing your stubborness and iconic bdc opinion of yourself being the answer.

P.S. Subbing him in and out of the lineup is a terrible idea. You want him to play where ever that may be . How does he get better by sitting in the press box every other game or for extended periods ? Caron is the guy to fill that role.

Sections
Shortcuts