Spooner situation: Creating a really good problem for Julien

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from riptide757. Show riptide757's posts

Spooner situation: Creating a really good problem for Julien

How do you send this kid back? simple, you just cant! can't trade him either, Spooner has pretty much nothing more to prove. after only a half dozen or so games in Kelly's place the kids confidence is starting to soar really fast in all three zones and in the the faceoff circle. what's really impressive so far is Spooners documented good hockey sense that gives him the ability to use to utilize his blazing speed as a playmaker and ability to take over a game at the NHL level as seen against Nashville Monday night. but the most impressive part of his game so far is the ability to develope offensive chemistry with his wingers in this case Soderberg. this is the most confidfent I've seen the Bruins pp since Marc Savard's playing days in a Bruin uniform, and Spooner's been a huge part of that. we all know his abilities were never a secret, but now that we've seen him in a key role it's obvious he has no more use in Providence or a healthy scratch. so what does Claude do when Kelly returns? we all know Julien and how he relies on his vets but i believe he has a big decision to make this time upon Kelly's return. the most logical move? moving Kelly to 4th line between Paille and Thorton and scratching Cambell. as much as a love the guy i see no other choice at this point in Bruins history. Spooners blazing speed and abilities outweigh the need for Cambell in my humble opinion................what's your thoughts? 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bobruins. Show bobruins's posts

Re: Spooner situation: Creating a really good problem for Julien

In response to riptide757's comment:

How do you send this kid back? simple, you just cant! can't trade him either, Spooner has pretty much nothing more to prove. after only a half dozen or so games in Kelly's place the kids confidence is starting to soar really fast in all three zones and in the the faceoff circle. what's really impressive so far is Spooners documented good hockey sense that gives him the ability to use to utilize his blazing speed as a playmaker and ability to take over a game at the NHL level as seen against Nashville Monday night. but the most impressive part of his game so far is the ability to develope offensive chemistry with his wingers in this case Soderberg. this is the most confidfent I've seen the Bruins pp since Marc Savard's playing days, and Spooner's been a huge part of that. we all know his abilities were never a secret, but now that we've seen him in a key role it's obvious he has no more use in Providence or a healthy scratch. so what does Claude do when Kelly returns? we all know Julien and how he relies on his vets but i believe he has a big decision to make this time upon Kelly's return. the most logical move? moving Kelly to 4th line between Paille and Thorton and scratching Cambell. as much as a love the guy i see no other choice at this point in Bruins history. Spooners blazing speed and abilities outweigh the need for Cambell in my humble opinion................what's your thoughts? 

Someone will be traded....problem solved.....

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from riptide757. Show riptide757's posts

Bruins trade activity will probably be determined by Erikssons health situation. but you can start with Caron. he needs to go. he's pretty much worthless..........

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

He does have something to prove:

He needs to prove he can find the back of the net.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

@MarkDivver

"And so Ryan Spooner finishes his career in Providence with 25-62-87 in 88 games."

Great job Bruce Cassidy you helped force PCs hand. There are no more excuses like "Yes buy Kelly is great in the dot and he kills penalties". Spooner can do both and create better offensive chances for his linemates. He creates nightmares for the opposing defenseman with his speed, you can't teach that.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from riptide757. Show riptide757's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

Your joking right?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Claudorr. Show Claudorr's posts

Good opportunity to bring in new blood. Trade Kelly for a pick.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Your joking right?

No.  He has no NHL goals.  Let's hold off on annointing him just yet.  I hope he tears it up.  We've been waiting for years to see him play.  But, before the roster moves are made and contracts are given, let's see if he can find the back of the net.

Let's also see him do a little more than seven career assists.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from riptide757. Show riptide757's posts

Your joking right?

No.  He has no NHL goals.  Let's hold off on annointing him just yet.  I hope he tears it up.  We've been waiting for years to see him play.  But, before the roster moves are made and contracts are given, let's see if he can find the back of the net.

Let's also see him do a little more than seven career assists.

Nothing to do with anointing, it is what it is. The kid made more plays in one game than Cambell made all season so far. But fair enough, I'm sure putting the puck in the ocean won't be a problem with this kid. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

riptide. campbell and spooner have no correlation. they play very different roles. Spooner is probably never going to be a fourth line center in the NHL. This effects Kelly. Third line center is his role. I don't think the bruins should go moving any players because a rookie has had a good couple weeks. Kelly is completely capable of playing on the fourth line if spooner keeps it up. 22 to the ninth floor. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

I like what I have seen from Spooner, hope he does well and I think he will. I'm just amazed at how people are so quick to dismiss Kelly though. Whats the knock on Kelly? He's a good player. Like I said before, come playoff time, I like having Kelly on the roster.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from riptide757. Show riptide757's posts

In response to bostonfan191646's comment:

riptide. campbell and spooner have no correlation. they play very different roles. Spooner is probably never going to be a fourth line center in the NHL. This effects Kelly. Third line center is his role. I don't think the bruins should go moving any players because a rookie has had a good couple weeks. Kelly is completely capable of playing on the fourth line if spooner keeps it up. 22 to the ninth floor. 

I never suggested moving anyone

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from riptide757. Show riptide757's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:

I like what I have seen from Spooner, hope he does well and I think he will. I'm just amazed at how people are so quick to dismiss Kelly though. Whats the knock on Kelly? He's a good player. Like I said before, come playoff time, I like having Kelly on the roster.

Kelly is great

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

I never suggested moving anyone

you repeatedly suggested that spooner did more than campbell. that's more what i was getting at. campbell isn't going to get scratched. top PK guy etc. he could play wing. but they will never healthy scratch Campbell. They won't healthy scratch Kelly either. They shouldn't scratch spooner, which in my mind leaves thornton as the odd man out most nights. 

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sobchack. Show Sobchack's posts

I like Kelly.  In 2011 he was a great fit, huge pick up.  But, he's been off/on since then.  Pretty much underperformed last season with a -7 in the playoffs.  

The 4th line works when healthy; I wouldn't gamble on making Campbell the odd man out.

I'd like to see a 3rd line of Spooner and the Swedes.  Keep Smith with Bergey.  

But, it's a tough call no matter.  Too much of a "good problem."

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to neely66's comment:

The way this team is built we  need  a more offensive player on the third line and maybe that  player can be

Spooner . We know Kelly can't help offensively .  Relying on the first and second line in the playoffs is too much. If the  third  line can be scoring consistently the hardware will be back home. 

Last year Kelly had a struggling Peverley, along with numerous auditions on the left wing side. Two years ago with steady linemates he was a 20 goal scorer with a +33.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Spooner and 22 have no correlation either.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:

Last year Kelly had a struggling Peverley, along with numerous auditions on the left wing side. Two years ago with steady linemates he was a 20 goal scorer with a +33.

He's gotta give us more than three goals by Christmas, Kel. 

Also, six goals in his last 85 games.

I'd be pretty happy to see Kelly playing elsewhere.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

you repeatedly suggested that spooner did more than campbell. that's more what i was getting at. campbell isn't going to get scratched. top PK guy etc. he could play wing. but they will never healthy scratch Campbell. They won't healthy scratch Kelly either. They shouldn't scratch spooner, which in my mind leaves thornton as the odd man out most nights. 

Bergeron and (fill in any Bruin who might win a faceoff) can handle the PK.  If Campbell is struggling, of course they'll scratch him if they think it's needed. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

For me the player I'd like to see replaced by Spooner would be Caron.

I am really frustrated by Caron, I like what I see from Spooner much better.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Spooner will need to prove the Nashville game was not a Christmas gift to be returned to AHL.  c

Consistency as a third line center.  I too like the Swedes on that line.

I he does, Thornton's suspension will be the change not Kelly.  Kelly's speed would make the 4th line complete imo. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bobruins. Show bobruins's posts

In response to BadHabitude's comment:

For me the player I'd like to see replaced by Spooner would be Caron.

I am really frustrated by Caron, I like what I see from Spooner much better.

Before the rash of injuries, Caron was the 13th forward replacing Thornton in the lineup once a month.....you want that role for Spooner???....Spooner should be the third line center .....

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

Spooner and Smith could be the pieces we need for a Cup run... but I think Eriksson and Kelly are needed (or replaced by trade) for a Cup run.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TomOBrien. Show TomOBrien's posts

In response to islamorada's comment:

Spooner will need to prove the Nashville game was not a Christmas gift to be returned to AHL.  c

Consistency as a third line center.  I too like the Swedes on that line.

I he does, Thornton's suspension will be the change not Kelly.  Kelly's speed would make the 4th line complete imo. 

Hi Everyone,

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to each of you and those you hold dear.

I don't post on the site too much these days, but I want each of you to know I read your posts faithfully. :-)

I could not agree more...Thornton is at a point in his career where he could be used as a spot-starter in the event of injuries or a team with a penchant for fighting or goonery. His pay also does not make it prohibitive if he sits...

Kelly has had a pretty good year up to this point and his versatility and skill set makes him a logical choice for fourth line duty. They would be able to increase their minutes per game and relieve some pressure on the other three lines. I think the team will be better balanced in this scenario.

Of course, if Spooner hits a flat spot, he can be rested or given time to watch from the ninth floor (seems to be part of the process with B's rookies anyway).

I believe Caron has been played to "show case" his skills in an attempt to increase his trade value...unfortunately it has not worked out. Might be able to trade him to another team with a player needing a change of scenery to spark their career...he will never return a first round draft pick as he was when we selected him. Whoever pushed for him should be fired...what a waste.

Sections
Shortcuts