Spooner situation: Creating a really good problem for Julien

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

Re: Spooner situation: Creating a really good problem for Julien

In response to TomOBrien's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to islamorada's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Spooner will need to prove the Nashville game was not a Christmas gift to be returned to AHL.  c

Consistency as a third line center.  I too like the Swedes on that line.

I he does, Thornton's suspension will be the change not Kelly.  Kelly's speed would make the 4th line complete imo. 

[/QUOTE]

Hi Everyone,

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to each of you and those you hold dear.

I don't post on the site too much these days, but I want each of you to know I read your posts faithfully. :-)

I could not agree more...Thornton is at a point in his career where he could be used as a spot-starter in the event of injuries or a team with a penchant for fighting or goonery. His pay also does not make it prohibitive if he sits...

Kelly has had a pretty good year up to this point and his versatility and skill set makes him a logical choice for fourth line duty. They would be able to increase their minutes per game and relieve some pressure on the other three lines. I think the team will be better balanced in this scenario.

Of course, if Spooner hits a flat spot, he can be rested or given time to watch from the ninth floor (seems to be part of the process with B's rookies anyway).

I believe Caron has been played to "show case" his skills in an attempt to increase his trade value...unfortunately it has not worked out. Might be able to trade him to another team with a player needing a change of scenery to spark their career...he will never return a first round draft pick as he was when we selected him. Whoever pushed for him should be fired...what a waste.

[/QUOTE]
    I think he was.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TomOBrien. Show TomOBrien's posts

In response to 50belowzero's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Spooner will need to prove the Nashville game was not a Christmas gift to be returned to AHL.  c

I he does, Thornton's suspension will be the change not Kelly.  Kelly's speed would make the 4th line complete imo. 

[/QUOTE]

Hi Everyone,

I don't post on the site too much these days, but I want each of you to know I read your posts faithfully. :-)

I could not agree more...Thornton is at a point in his career where he could be used as a spot-starter in the event of injuries or a team with a penchant for fighting or goonery. His pay also does not make it prohibitive if he sits...

Kelly has had a pretty good year up to this point and his versatility and skill set makes him a logical choice for fourth line duty. They would be able to increase their minutes per game and relieve some pressure on the other three lines. I think the team will be better balanced in this scenario.

Of course, if Spooner hits a flat spot, he can be rested or given time to watch from the ninth floor (seems to be part of the process with B's rookies anyway).

I believe Caron has been played to "show case" his skills in an attempt to increase his trade value...unfortunately it has not worked out. Might be able to trade him to another team with a player needing a change of scenery to spark their career...he will never return a first round draft pick as he was when we selected him. Whoever pushed for him should be fired...what a waste.

[/QUOTE]
    I think he was.

[/QUOTE]

Thanks for letting me know...I had no idea

Cheers

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Claudorr. Show Claudorr's posts

Let's not live in the past: Kelly is not the player he used to be, even 3 years ago...He must be replaced by Spooner on the third line: much better speed, hands and...future ! We can keep Kelly, but I'm not sure he wants to play on the fourth line. That's why I say : trade him, for a pick or for another seasoned veteran who could have the role Kelly had  in 2011.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from gord11. Show gord11's posts

When/if all players return; the 3rd Line will consist of Eriksson and Soderberg centred by Spooner; Kelly goes to 4th line with Paille and Campbell (Thornton/Caron subbing in and out of 4th Line as needed); Fraser goes back to Providence.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bobruins. Show bobruins's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Hi Everyone,

[/QUOTE]
    I think he was.

[/QUOTE]

Caron was the best player available in a very weak draft....how he and the other players drafted that same year/ round develop is really a roll of the dice......it's always easier to say afterwards they should have taken this or that player.....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Coming back to Caron, I think if he got lots of regular playing time he would be ok, but that's not going to happen on this Bruins team.  If he was in Calgary I would bet he would be a better player than Joe Colborne.

And who was the tool that was going on and on and on about Colbourne being a trade that Boston would regret?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bobruins. Show bobruins's posts

In response to gord11's comment:
    [QUOTE]

When/if all players return; the 3rd Line will consist of Eriksson and Soderberg centred by Spooner; Kelly goes to 4th line with Paille and Campbell (Thornton/Caron subbing in and out of 4th Line as needed); Fraser goes back to Providence.

[/QUOTE]

I agree with this.....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

Kelly's proven he can be effective in the post season.  Not sure why you'd trade/demote a guy who's proven to be a playoff guy to promote someone who hasn't.  That doesn't sound like Julien philosophy to me.

In all likelyhood Spooner will get his chance to play if all hands are on deck for the post season,  but just not as a starter.

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:[QUOTE]I like what I have seen from Spooner, hope he does well and I think he will. I'm just amazed at how people are so quick to dismiss Kelly though. Whats the knock on Kelly? He's a good player. Like I said before, come playoff time, I like having Kelly on the roster. [/QUOTE]

Moneywise if PC can find a way, which I think he will, Kelly will remain till draft day or the summer.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from OrrandPapiRGods. Show OrrandPapiRGods's posts

In response to bobruins' comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to gord11's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I agree with this.....

[/QUOTE]

Me too, this is how I see it unfolding

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bgrif008. Show bgrif008's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I like what I have seen from Spooner, hope he does well and I think he will. I'm just amazed at how people are so quick to dismiss Kelly though. Whats the knock on Kelly? He's a good player. Like I said before, come playoff time, I like having Kelly on the roster.

[/QUOTE]

Seriously. Playoffs are a different beast all together. I want veterans in there and not some player yet to even experience it yet. We all like what we see, but, as many have said before, you dont go trading players based off a handful of games. Now Caron on the other hand has played plenty of games. Trading him would not upset my night sleep at all.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallydouglas. Show wallydouglas's posts

The debate on spooner will go on into the new year for not just fans but Bs brass, Kelly is still awhile away from returning and no one knows just yet about Eriksson but if you wanna look beyond this,Its a given that caron is the next to go, along with Thornton,I think the fisticuff days are coming to an end more in fact the enforcer so I can see a line of kelly cambell and paiile in the future and the rest will fall in place.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mxt. Show mxt's posts

Spooner hasn't found the back of the net yet but he can play and flat out fly. He can't go back. He's basically the only speed threat we have. Caron has now had a few chances to do something (anything?) to show he belongs with the B's, but really belongs in the AHL right now. Maybe he's a late bloomer, or maybe he just isn't good. Won't be the first (or last) first rounder we've fanned on. In the limited playing time some of them have had, the young D-guys all look like they can play. The brass will have some tough decisions down the road for sure, but that's not a bad position to be in.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chappy28. Show Chappy28's posts

In response to Claudorr's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Let's not live in the past: Kelly is not the player he used to be, even 3 years ago...He must be replaced by Spooner on the third line: much better speed, hands and...future ! We can keep Kelly, but I'm not sure he wants to play on the fourth line. That's why I say : trade him, for a pick or for another seasoned veteran who could have the role Kelly had  in 2011.

[/QUOTE]

The truth is that Kelly's 20g year was an outlier of his career.  He has come back to his natural baseline which is a defensively responsible, hard working bottom 6 guy with good character/intangibles.  That's what management thought they were getting when they picked him up.  Nobody expected him to put up 20+ goals and 20+ assists like he did the year we won the cup.

Bottom line, Spooner should stay as our 3rd line center when Kelly comes back, which means that either Kelly or Campbell should be on their way out, or are at risk of being healthy scratches when the team is fully healthy.

We have a legit chance of having a serious depth advantage in the playoffs with a dangerous 3rd line not unlike the Krecji-Wheeler-Ryder line when Krecji first broke into the NHL.  Spooner-Soderberg-Erikson/Smith (hopefully Smith stays on the top line), could be even better:  Spooner=Krecji, Soderberg>Wheeler, Erikson>Ryder

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In response to bim09's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Kelly's proven he can be effective in the post season.  Not sure why you'd trade/demote a guy who's proven to be a playoff guy to promote someone who hasn't.  That doesn't sound like Julien philosophy to me.

In all likelyhood Spooner will get his chance to play if all hands are on deck for the post season,  but just not as a starter.

[/QUOTE]

Ryan Spooner on fiyah !

He also has that ten-to-two skating move like Skinner.........which doesn't live up to your NHL standards ?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

He does have something to prove:

He needs to prove he can find the back of the net.

That's just totally silly.

If he provides scoring opportunities for his linemates he doesn't have to prove anything. His playmaking and skating have been the main reason for that 3rd line's success lately.

He's making that 3rd line better without finding the back of the net. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to bobruins' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Hi Everyone,

[/QUOTE]
    I think he was.

[/QUOTE]

Caron was the best player available in a very weak draft....how he and the other players drafted that same year/ round develop is really a roll of the dice......it's always easier to say afterwards they should have taken this or that player.....

[/QUOTE]

I agree. He was 25th pick. That's hardly a lock in any season. Most of the teams in the league wish they hadn't passed on Ryan O'Reilly or Alex Chaisson. It's easy to draft with years of hindsight available.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mattc355. Show mattc355's posts

_

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bobruins. Show bobruins's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

He does have something to prove:

He needs to prove he can find the back of the net.

[/QUOTE]

Spooner only had 5 goals in 21 Providence games......but his 23 points still makes him the points leader on the PBruins and he missed 8 games since the call-up........his game right now is his speed and set-up man for his wingers.......the goals will eventually come....

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

Savy wasn't a sniper either.  But he was a pure playmaker.  Spooner looks to be in that mold.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to bim09's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Savy wasn't a sniper either.  But he was a pure playmaker.  Spooner looks to be in that mold.

[/QUOTE]

I can see the similarities and I will be ecstatic if he becomes as effective as Savard in his prime.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to neely66's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to kelvana33's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to neely66's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The way this team is built we  need  a more offensive player on the third line and maybe that  player can be

Spooner . We know Kelly can't help offensively .  Relying on the first and second line in the playoffs is too much. If the  third  line can be scoring consistently the hardware will be back home. 

[/QUOTE]

Last year Kelly had a struggling Peverley, along with numerous auditions on the left wing side. Two years ago with steady linemates he was a 20 goal scorer with a +33.

[/QUOTE]

It's not a one year where he scores 20 that makes him a 20 gs. Since in nhl hes been averging something like 6 goals per year. 2011 playoffs was a pinnacle for him. He's awful offensively  and would not care if they bought him out.  Any player can get hot in playoffs don't keep a kelly cuz maybe he might get hot.  Keep campbell he's cheaper

[/QUOTE]

Yes it does. If a player scores 50 goals one year, he's a 50 goal scorer. If a player wins a Super Bowl, he is a Super Bowl Champion.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

It's not a one year where he scores 20 that makes him a 20 gs. Since in nhl hes been averging something like 6 goals per year. 2011 playoffs was a pinnacle for him. He's awful offensively  and would not care if they bought him out.  Any player can get hot in playoffs don't keep a kelly cuz maybe he might get hot.  Keep campbell he's cheaper

[/QUOTE]

Yes it does. If a player scores 50 goals one year, he's a 50 goal scorer. If a player wins a Super Bowl, he is a Super Bowl Champion.

[/QUOTE]

Kel, Marco and some other folk's flawed math is the reason some like to call Kessel a 40 goal scorer even though it's never happened. You're absolutely right. A player has to be judged on his best season regardless of whether it's repeated or not because that's literally what he's proven himself capable of. For instance, Mike Green is a 31 goal scorer regardless of how he's performed since. We now know for a fact that is what he's capable of doing.

Sections
Shortcuts