Spooner

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Spooner

I like the kid, but I have to say he has me wondering a little.  He takes a fair number of perimeter shots and is reminding me a *little* of Kessel and Seguin in that respect.  And I'm sure he's also a little frustrated with not having scored yet.  The first NHL goal will be a big one.  I like him much better than Caron.  And 11 assists in half as many games as Campbell and Paille ain't half bad.

Don't get all riled up, yes, he needs time and it's too early to be making pronouncements about him, but still...  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Re: Spooner

Well, I've been saying for a while now that Spooner was being anointed a regular spot and I felt that was premature. He needs time to develop, I"m just not so sure it has to be on the NHL roster.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from marco0863. Show marco0863's posts

"player reminding me a *little* of Kessel and Seguin "

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-KPGh3wysw&feature=youtube_gdata_

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Agree he's been a perimeter player thus far in the NHL. Not sure if that was his style in the OHL I hardly watched him play 2 full games.  As an OHL select against the Russians did see him go more to the net therefore I think he is capable. 

In the NHL not sure if he just needs the confidence , it's just that NHL D are big and fast men , and he might never be that type that will force himself to the front of the net but he does have the speed to go around a D and cut to the net.  As Bruin fans I hope we don't look for or compare him to the likes of Marchand or a Gallagher on the Habs in terms of hockey skill or tag him as not a Bruins type player. 

One thing for sure he has the skill, the hands  to score (got a glimpse on the s/hootout).

p.s. Hope he scores soon,  it's about time.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Don-Bruino. Show Don-Bruino's posts

In response to BadHabitude's comment:

I like the kid, but I have to say he has me wondering a little.  He takes a fair number of perimeter shots and is reminding me a *little* of Kessel and Seguin in that respect.  And I'm sure he's also a little frustrated with not having scored yet.  The first NHL goal will be a big one.  I like him much better than Caron.  And 11 assists in half as many games as Campbell and Paille ain't half bad.

Don't get all riled up, yes, he needs time and it's too early to be making pronouncements about him, but still...  

Badhab, I think we have a "Tyler Bozak" type with a little more speed. Still, that isn't that bad.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to dannycater's comment:

Well, I've been saying for a while now that Spooner was being anointed a regular spot and I felt that was premature. He needs time to develop, I"m just not so sure it has to be on the NHL roster.

Spooner has great vision & can pass that puck. He needs to be able to stay in the NHL to continue to learn the seams at the NHL pace. I think this guy can be Marc Savard with twice the speed. I am worried about his sho t, but I think once he gets that 1st one he'll be set. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallydouglas. Show wallydouglas's posts

I think once he scores that 1st you will see a difference in him and as mentioned, just a lack of NHL experience is affecting him. I like what he brings and hope that line can get some chemsitry soon.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

I don't remember the last time I was rooting as hard for a kid to get his first goal.  I hope it will make a big difference in his game.

As for his perimeter play, at least in recent times part of it may be Eriksson.  He seems to be the designated net-front presence on whatever line he plays, and seems to spend a lot of time standing just outside the net.  I don't know if it is by design, or simply a tendency of his.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from marco0863. Show marco0863's posts

Anyone know where loui is? Was he traded? 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Gotta score to stay.

I am praying that the kid gets it going, but until he does, that goose egg is heavy.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Don-Bruino. Show Don-Bruino's posts

In response to marco0863's comment:

Anyone know where loui is? Was he traded? 

Ok, Ok, Marco. You got me to giggle. The time for Loui Eriksson will come.

We should start slamming him, like we did with Marchand, Krejci, Lucic, etc.....then he'll wakeup like the others did.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from marco0863. Show marco0863's posts

Spoon has 11pts in 22gp granted no goals but not playing on first or second line

Loui has 15 pts in 29 games  and was playing in second line

Let spooner be hes a kid he might start scoring he might not but he has the right for time yet louihas no

Excuse hrs been horrible but no ppl too proud to say it cuz that would imply the seguin trade.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

Gotta score to stay.

I am praying that the kid gets it going, but until he does, that goose egg is heavy.

I agree NAS & I'm hoping that goal post in the S-O didn't do more damage to the kids confidence. I hope Marchand takes the kid under his wing & tell him to keep with it. He knows what he's going thru.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bobruins. Show bobruins's posts

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:

In response to dannycater's comment:

Spooner has great vision & can pass that puck. He needs to be able to stay in the NHL to continue to learn the seams at the NHL pace. I think this guy can be Marc Savard with twice the speed. I am worried about his sho t, but I think once he gets that 1st one he'll be set. 

Same here, the sho ts on goal I saw him take looked a bit on the weak side.......

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Spooner isn't playing "3rd man high" in the offensive set for the 3rd line. Ryan is supposed to be getting the puck from Soderberg to set up Loui in the slot or vice versa. In comparing Spooner to Marchand in the AHL and the NHL (early on), for the most part I like what I see except for Marchand attacks the net after getting the puck from Bergeron. They are playing two different positions.

When Spooner does have the opportunity to attack the net, he gets "Erikkson-Itis", deferring to the point or tries to set up his wingers. From what I seen of him in the AHL is he has a quick sh0 t and pretty accurate but he isn't sh00 ting. Right now I agree his confidence is a bit low. Sending Ryan back to Providence will do nothing but get him more points feeding Sweethands and Fraser.

Krejci, Lucic and Marchand were given time, Spooner will get it eventually.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

Spooner isn't playing "3rd man high" in the offensive set for the 3rd line. Ryan is supposed to be getting the puck from Soderberg to set up Loui in the slot or vice versa. In comparing Spooner to Marchand in the AHL and the NHL (early on), for the most part I like what I see except for Marchand attacks the net after getting the puck from Bergeron. They are playing two different positions.

When Spooner does have the opportunity to attack the net, he gets "Erikkson-Itis", deferring to the point or tries to set up his wingers. From what I seen of him in the AHL is he has a quick sh0 t and pretty accurate but he isn't sh00 ting. Right now I agree his confidence is a bit low. Sending Ryan back to Providence will do nothing but get him more points feeding Sweethands and Fraser.

Good way of putting it San, for whatever reason Loui does not,will not, can not, bring himself to sh0/0t the puck even if he is 10 ft in front of the net with a clear view, Spooner has either watched this or isn't confident enough yet. Confidence will come with time spent in the league and working with the coaches.I have to agree with the observation that Spooner doesn't seem to have much mustard on his sh0 t. If we are going to compare his style to that of Savard well i would suggest Ryan gets a little more velocity on his slapper!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from riptide757. Show riptide757's posts

Spooner has displayed his speed and offensive ability. it seems Claude as always is taking the slow approach that has spooner focused on his defensive responsibility first making him a little reluctant to rush the offense at this point in his career. same thing he's done with every good Bruin prospect...........

It looks like Spooner will be the healthy scratch and up top watching when Kelly returns which is good for him. then go from there. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chappy28. Show Chappy28's posts

In response to BadHabitude's comment:

So he reminds you of the two most skilled Bruins of the last decade that were traded to then become elite NHL scorers????

Maybe we should keep this one until he at least tickles his prime.  I would take it as a compliment to be compared to Kessel or Seguin.

Bruins management is not infallible, and young players take time to grow into their game at the NHL level.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to 50belowzero's comment:

Good way of putting it San, for whatever reason Loui does not,will not, can not, bring himself to sh0/0t the puck even if he is 10 ft in front of the net with a clear view, Spooner has either watched this or isn't confident enough yet. Confidence will come with time spent in the league and working with the coaches.I have to agree with the observation that Spooner doesn't seem to have much mustard on his sh0 t. If we are going to compare his style to that of Savard well i would suggest Ryan gets a little more velocity on his slapper!

On his vision & passing skills. I don't think Spooner will ever shoo ot the puck as well as Savvy did, which I think was underestimated & not talked about, because he was such a great dishman.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to DrCC's comment:

I don't remember the last time I was rooting as hard for a kid to get his first goal.  I hope it will make a big difference in his game.

As for his perimeter play, at least in recent times part of it may be Eriksson.  He seems to be the designated net-front presence on whatever line he plays, and seems to spend a lot of time standing just outside the net.  I don't know if it is by design, or simply a tendency of his.

I do. Wears # 53 right now & in his first 20 games he did everything but score. I remember one game where he hit both post & a crossbar in 2 shifts. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Remember Krejci in exactly the same phase of his career? Played half a dozen games in 2006-07 and put up zeroes (playing less than four minutes on average).  Started his first full year the next year and had 12 assists in his first 35 games.  And zero goals.  So if Spooner gets two more assists in his next 13 games, he'll be doing better than Krejci did at the same point in his career.

Of course, once DK got that first one, he liked it so much he scored three games in a row.  Hoping for the same pattern from Spooner.  Krejci also had 5 points in his first 7 playoff games, which I'd take right now if offered.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

In response to marco0863's comment:

louihas no

Excuse hrs been horrible but no ppl too proud to say it cuz that would imply the seguin trade.

1.  I don't think he's been horrible. As I said on the Eriksson thread, he's been one player on defense (steady, only a minus player in 2 games so far) and another on offense where he's making smart plays and doing the right things, but the play is consistently going elsewhere.  Either he's not reading his linemates or his instincts aren't in tune with the way the Bruins play yet.  But I see a good player out of sync, not a horrible player.

2. Works both ways, marco.  You're awfully quick to declare Eriksson a bust and claim victory.  Is that because, if Eriksson turns it around and the Bruins get two 25 goal scorers and two prospects for Seguin, you'd have to admit it was a decent trade?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

I do. Wears # 53 right now & in his first 20 games he did everything but score. I remember one game where he hit both post & a crossbar in 2 shifts. 

Seth Griffith? I know he hasn't played in 20 games but he wears #53.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

In response to riptide757's comment:

Spooner has displayed his speed and offensive ability. it seems Claude as always is taking the slow approach that has spooner focused on his defensive responsibility first making him a little reluctant to rush the offense at this point in his career. same thing he's done with every good Bruin prospect...........

It looks like Spooner will be the healthy scratch and up top watching when Kelly returns which is good for him. then go from there. 

Based on what? I haven't seen any indication spooner will be scratched. Have you heard something I havent?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to 50belowzero's comment:

Seth Griffith? I know he hasn't played in 20 games but he wears #53.

NAS? I found out who's been stealing your Aho le pills! Tongue Out

Sections
Shortcuts