Sports Illustrated Sportsman of the Year

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

Sports Illustrated Sportsman of the Year

I believe that the Bruins or Tim Thomas has a good chance of winning this award for 2011.  Anyone else agree with me.  That would be a great accomplishment for the team or individually for Thomas. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Re: Sports Illustrated Sportsman of the Year

In Response to Sports Illustrated Sportsman of the Year:
    [QUOTE]I believe that the Bruins or Tim Thomas have a good chance of winning this award for 2011.  Anyone else agree with me.  That would be a great accomplishment for the team or individually for Thomas. 
    Posted by susan250[/QUOTE]
    I thought it was already awarded to some basketball coaches.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

In Response to Re: Sports Illustrated Sportsman of the Year:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Sports Illustrated Sportsman of the Year : I thought it was already awarded to some basketball coaches.
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

You are probably right. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sports Illustrated Sportsman of the Year : You are probably right. 
    Some others had posted about TT getting robbed. I don't know the names of the coaches. Both from college though I believe.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sports Illustrated Sportsman of the Year : Some others had posted about TT getting robbed. I don't know the names of the coaches. Both from college though I believe.
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

http://www.rotorob.com/2011/12/06/2011-si-sportsman-of-the-year-mike-krzyzewski/ 
    http://www.nesn.com/2011/12/mike-krzyzewski-pat-summitt-share-sports-illustrateds-sportsman-of-the-year-award.html

This is the article.  I hadn't realized this was already awarded.  I also believe that Thomas deserved it.  I just received my latest sports illustrated magazine with the sportsman of the year award.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sports Illustrated Sportsman of the Year : http://www.rotorob.com/2011/12/06/2011-si-sportsman-of-the-year-mike-krzyzewski/   http://www.nesn.com/2011/12/mike-krzyzewski-pat-summitt-share-sports-illustrateds-sportsman-of-the-year-award.html This is the article.  I hadn't realized this was already awarded.  I also believe that Thomas deserved it.  I just received my latest sports illustrated magazine with the sportsman of the year award.  
    Thanks.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from zamboni24. Show zamboni24's posts

SI could care less about hockey. Like ESPN in years past -- when hockey players persevered thru cancer and other setbacks -- they prefer to award some whiney tennis player who got a flesh wound from a mental patient.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

[QUOTE]SI could care less about hockey. Like ESPN in years past -- when hockey players persevered thru cancer and other setbacks -- they prefer to award some whiney tennis player who got a flesh wound from a mental patient.
    Posted by zamboni24[/QUOTE]

You are right. I just checked to see how many hockey players won this award.  Only Bobby Orr won in 1970.  The US olympic team won in 1980.  In 1987 this award was granted to Athletes who care.  Many different athletes were given this award for their contributions to helping different causes.
    I am very surprised that the professional sport of hockey doesn't win this award more often. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

SI blows and the SOTY Award is a sham. Orr won in 1970 because he made such an impact on the sport that it transcended hockey. People who had never watched a hockey game in their lives and knew nothing about the sport suddenly were paying attention because of Orr. Nobody impacted the game the way Orr did, both on and off the ice, before or since his time. Not Howe, not Gretzky or Lemieux or anyone else. This, to me, is why Bobby Orr is the greatest hockey player of all time.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kennedy97. Show Kennedy97's posts

Look, I love Tim Thomas...I have since he played at UVM. And what the guy has accomplished just to get to the NHL is absolutely unbelievable.

But you were really expecting him to win an award from a US sports magazine over the guy who just became the winningest coach in mens college basketball and an outgoing legend of a coach for womens basketball who not only has won more college basketball games than anyone else but also has Alzheimer's?

Thomas never had a chance. It would have been nice and all, but there was just no way.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

[QUOTE]Look, I love Tim Thomas...I have since he played at UVM. And what the guy has accomplished just to get to the NHL is absolutely unbelievable. But you were really expecting him to win an award from a US sports magazine over the guy who just became the winningest coach in mens college basketball and an outgoing legend of a coach for womens basketball who not only has won more college basketball games than anyone else but also has Alzheimer's? Thomas never had a chance. It would have been nice and all, but there was just no way.
    Posted by Kennedy97[/QUOTE]

You are right and they both definitely deserve this award this year.  It is just surprising that no professional hockey player or team has ever won this award except for Bobby Orr or the 1980 US Olympics team, (they aren't a professional team, but close enough).  I believe it might have something to do with the fact that most of the best players are Canadian.  That is the only explanation that I have for this. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

[QUOTE]Look, I love Tim Thomas...I have since he played at UVM. And what the guy has accomplished just to get to the NHL is absolutely unbelievable. But you were really expecting him to win an award from a US sports magazine over the guy who just became the winningest coach in mens college basketball and an outgoing legend of a coach for womens basketball who not only has won more college basketball games than anyone else but also has Alzheimer's? Thomas never had a chance. It would have been nice and all, but there was just no way.

Could not have said it better myself. I don't watch or follow college basketball, so I didnt even consider it. I just figured with that fraud Lance Armstrong out of the picture he had a shot. But like you said, being a hockey player, he had no chance.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsFanInPenTerritory. Show BruinsFanInPenTerritory's posts

One of the caps-loving nincompoops on this board was blathering recently about the lack of local media coverage on the Bruins. I don't know or care about Boston. Still, the lack of national coverage about hockey is bothersome. If Thomas were, say a basketball player or a football player he'd be on every ESPN show imaginable, profiled by an SI literary heavyweight (sorry, Farber's good but isn't one of their stars) and would generally be lauded for his tremendous story.

Hockey's the biggest niche sport in the world and I'm perfectly fine with it.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsFanInPenTerritory. Show BruinsFanInPenTerritory's posts

For that matter even Bergeron with his recovery from concussions would merit a Sportsman of the Year Award.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kennedy97. Show Kennedy97's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sports Illustrated Sportsman of the Year : You are right and they both definitely deserve this award this year.  It is just surprising that no professional hockey player or team has ever won this award except for Bobby Orr or the 1980 US Olympics team, (they aren't a professional team, but close enough).  I believe it might have something to do with the fact that most of the best players are Canadian.  That is the only explanation that I have for this. 

Gretzky won it once, too.

Hockey's just too far down the major sports pecking order in the US. I'm fine with that, too.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In the 70s SI was very different towards Hockey when it covered Orr's Bruins and the Broad Street Bullies it helped hockey explode. Then the 80s came with Bird n Magic along with the Big East and ACC college basketball, SI forgot about hockey which I'm fine with as well because it changed the magazine from good to boring..

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sports Illustrated Sportsman of the Year : You are right and they both definitely deserve this award this year.  It is just surprising that no professional hockey player or team has ever won this award except for Bobby Orr or the 1980 US Olympics team, (they aren't a professional team, but close enough).  I believe it might have something to do with the fact that most of the best players are Canadian.  That is the only explanation that I have for this. 

The best 10 minutes of goaltending I ever witnessed by Jim Craig after the US got the 4th goal! One of the top 3 hockey games I've ever seen in my life was this one. That team may not have been a professional one, but don't forget this Soviet team demolished an NHL all-star team in 79' 6-0 with our very own Cheevers in the net. And the Russians played Muschkin (sp) instead of Tretiak in that NHL game.

As far Thomas goes not winning this award? It's SI that should be called "We cover every other sport well except for hockey!" So there's nothing lost for Timmy there.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sports Illustrated Sportsman of the Year : Gretzky won it once, too. Hockey's just too far down the major sports pecking order in the US. I'm fine with that, too.

You are right that Gretsky did win this award.  I just don't understand why more hockey players/teams don't win this award.  It is very surprising to me that the other 3 major professional teams/players have won this award more than a few times and hockey not very often.  Of course, this award is also given to college teams/players and other sports, such as golf.  Professional football, baseball and basketball have won this award a combined 25 times since its inception in 1954.  That means that almost 50% of the time this award is given to either a professional football, baseball or basketball team/player.  Hockey doesn't get the similar recognition that it deserves. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kennedy97. Show Kennedy97's posts

Of course the award has been won mostly by baseball, football and basketball players. It's beging given by an American sports magazine! SI will cater to its audience, which is the general US sports fan, for whom hockey is well below football, baseball, and basketball on the radar. It's only special cases (Orr, Gretzky, 1980) when some hockey players become household names that SI takes notice. That's their focus, and it always has been.

Tim Thomas is not a household name with your average American sports fan...even now that he's on hold with Peggy while waiting in the back seat of a cab. It's just the way it is.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jalvis. Show jalvis's posts

[QUOTE]Tim Thomas is not a household name with your average American sports fan...even now that he's on hold with Peggy while waiting in the back seat of a cab. It's just the way it is.

That commercial is hilarious!!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sports Illustrated Sportsman of the Year : That commercial is hilarious!!
    Posted by jalvis[/QUOTE]

Agree that it is a great commercial.