St. Louis Reportedly interested in Ryder

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ed121501. Show ed121501's posts

Re: St. Louis Reportedly interested in Ryder

How come no one is talking about Ferrence, and his 2.25 million cap hit, as a potential trade option ? The talk always seems to revolve around Wheeler and Ryder. I certainly understand why Ryder and his 4 mill hit should be involved in a trade but, I would much rather trade Ferrence over Wheeler. Wheeler provides the B's with insurance at the center position and his age and size should not be overlooked. Bottom line is that I'm just not ready to give up on Wheeler yet.
    Ferrence, on the other hand, has 2  years remaining on his contract and would be a nice 2nd or 3rd pairing, puck mover for a number of teams. Once again, the bottom line is that I believe that Ferrence has worth and value to a number of teams. Trading Ferrence would also open up room for McQuaid ($575,000) who is deserving of a place on this defense.

Bury Sturm and his questionable knees in Providence until the trade deadline and see what you can get for him. I'm sure that he would be more than willing to waive his no trade clause after riding the buses for a few months.
    Trade Ryder and Ferrence when Savard is ready to come back. Hate to see Ryder go but someone needs to go to make some room.
    BTW, you're all entitled to your opinions but, spare me with the 'how dare you propose sending Sturm to the minors' stuff. Yes, he had some bad luck with injuries and he seems like a good guy but, I just want to see this team win the Cup and there are some very unpopular but necessary decisions that need to be made. Go B's 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bridgemanusa. Show bridgemanusa's posts

ed121501 -  I agree... send Sturm down to Prov and he will ask for a trade. He already stated he wants to win a cup so a "contender" would grab him for a stretch run and I am sure he would go if he knew he would get no ice time here. I have always been a Ryder fan since his first days in the league and I still am. I think the Bs paid too much for him but I also think they could get him back for a more reasonable 2.8-mil/season (moving forward) and he is worth all of that. You just cannot teach his "release" and when he plays physical he brings a whole new element to the game.

Sturm has speed but nowhere near the shot Ryder does.

My candidates for cap space relief:
    Sturm
    Hunwick
    Wheeler
    Stuart
    Ference
    Savard (only for for the right package and certainly NOT near top of list)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jalvis. Show jalvis's posts

In Response to Re: St. Louis Reportedly interested in Ryder:
    How come no one is talking about Ferrence, and his 2.25 million cap hit, as a potential trade option ?
    Posted by ed121501

I would say it's because the B's are unquestionably deeper at the forward position than on defense.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Some of you are missing the point. When Savard is ready the cap says Ryder goes. No one else has the same impact. In addition, there must be cap room when Sturm joins the team not after he joins. Would you really want Ryder instead of Savard??? Savvy fills a forward spot, so a forward goes. Paille does not do much for the cap, and a defensemsn would be offset in the cap by a defense replacement. CC any clearer comment?/

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rockett7. Show rockett7's posts

Sturm should be moved.....Sturm will be back lets say Jan 1...He will be in game shape March 1 with 5 goals...Outta Town July 1...

Right now Ryder is in at least game shape....will pot 25-30....outta town July 1

What seems like the better move?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BuzzardBoots. Show BuzzardBoots's posts

Am I hallucinating or did this Ryder thread take a turn into Fantasy Land and someone actually suggested that Tampa Bay might be willing to trade Stamkos to the Bruins?

That was a dream, right?  That seriously did not happen, did it?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

Some of you are missing the point. When Savard is ready the cap says Ryder goes. No one else has the same impact. In addition, there must be cap room when Sturm joins the team not after he joins. Would you really want Ryder instead of Savard??? Savvy fills a forward spot, so a forward goes. Paille does not do much for the cap, and a defensemsn would be offset in the cap by a defense replacement. CC any clearer comment?/
    Posted by Bogie6

I think the Question is Ryder or Sturm?? Im guessing that if Sturms knees are taking longer than expected its not a good sign. Ryder on the other hand is hardly ever hurt and has been doing good sofar this year.  Id send away Sturm+Paille wich is greater cap relief than just ryder. Plus Sturm+Savard are going to come back staggered not  both the exact same day, this gives the bruins more tiem to make a decision. Perhaps if Ryder's play slips too much by then you consider moving him and gambling on sturm to comethrough in the playoffs.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from beantowngm15. Show beantowngm15's posts

bridgeman

Stuart?  Really?  You pick Mark Stuart and his 1.675 cap hit as a candidate for cap relief?  What are you smoking and where can I get some?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

Am I hallucinating or did this Ryder thread take a turn into Fantasy Land and someone actually suggested that Tampa Bay might be willing to trade Stamkos to the Bruins? That was a dream, right?  That seriously did not happen, did it?
    Posted by BuzzardBoots

I think he was trying to make a point - that his suggestion has about as much factual base in it as the article that the OP linked.

On the Ryder vs Sturm issue, timing may be critical.  As is, either Sturm or Savard can be added to the roster without clearing any cap space.  Only a roster spot needs to be opened - possibly by sending Caron to Providence or by trading Paille.

The team will have to clear cap space before the second of the two returns.  If Sturm comes back significantly before Savard, then his play can be evaluated, and time can be spent trying to convince him to change his mind about his NTC.

If Savard comes back first, or the timing is close, things get tricky.  Sturm can get a conditioning stint in Providence, but that's at most 5 games.  I suppose he could be traded before being activated, but I would think another GM would take a lot of convincing to get him to agree.

Demoting either of them is a risky proposition.  If the demoted is playing well enough to warrant a recall, there's a good chance another team will grab them on re-entry waivers (and as far as I am aware that will be the case even after the trade-deadline; I'm not sure about once the playoffs start), especially as the cap space needed to acquire one of these players goes down as the year progresses.

Chiarelli does have options, and they should increase with every day that passes as 'banked' space gives teams more cap room to work with.  Should be interesting to see what finally happens.  Given that Sturm and Savard are both skating with the team, it could be soon.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BuzzardBoots. Show BuzzardBoots's posts

Thanks DrCC ... guess my sarcasm meter needs some tuning up!

Sections
Shortcuts