Stamkos: "Lightning Can Contend for the Cup"

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Stamkos: "Lightning Can Contend for the Cup"

As per NHL.com:

Steven Stamkos looks at the new Tampa Bay Lightning roster and believes they have a legitimate chance to contend for the Stanley Cup.

"We have a good thing going down in Tampa," Stamkos told The Canadian Press on Wednesday. "We have a great owner, we've got a great GM in Steve Yzerman, and we've got a good young team. I want to win, and hopefully I can do it in Tampa."

Stamkos said the additions of free-agent center Brian Boyle and defenseman Anton Stralman, and the re-signing of forward Ryan Callahan improved the Lightning, who were swept in the Eastern Conference First Round by the Montreal Canadiens last season. 

"We didn’t have the finish we wanted to last year, but with the new faces coming in, the expectations are probably set a little higher," he said.

Stamkos, 24, will begin his first full season as captain after being limited to 37 games and 25 goals in 2013-14 because of a broken leg.

After forwards Jonathan Toews and Patrick Kane each signed an eight-year, $84 million contract to stay with the Chicago Blackhawks, Stamkos has often been mentioned as next in line for a similar big deal. He has two seasons remaining on a five-year, $37.5 million contract he signed in 2011.

"The business part of the game, it's growing," Stamkos said. "Obviously the game's in good shape, and when that happens the [salary cap is] going to grow and players are going to get paid more money. Those guys deserve it; they're great players in this League, they've won championships.

"That's the goal for me is to win a championship. You let your play take care of itself on the ice and when it's time to re-sign or sign a contract, you back it up with your play."

So did the Lightning do enough this offseason to vault them to the higher echelons of the NHL or is Stamkos just talking the usual summer nonsense?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

Re: Stamkos:

I think they're a good team but not upper echelon.  I like their forwards and signing Boyle was a really solid move but their D-men just seem to be underwhelming.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I don't think they're worse than the Habs or the Rangers.

Why not?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Made it to the playoffs last year despite losing Stamkos for some time. I do think he will miss St. Louis though.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

One thing to consider too is that Stamkos is a UFA in a couple of years so it is in the team's best interest to at least field a competitive team if they want to keep him past his present contract.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to stan17's comment:[QUOTE] I think they're a good team but not upper echelon.  I like their forwards and signing Boyle was a really solid move but their D-men just seem to be underwhelming. [/QUOTE]

And an untested playoff goalie. All looks great on paper but everything changes once the post season starts. Callahan, Carle and Brewer have been down right horrific in the playoffs and they are supposed to be leaders on the team.

Underwhelming is a good description.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:
    [QUOTE]

One thing to consider too is that Stamkos is a UFA in a couple of years so it is in the team's best interest to at least field a competitive team if they want to keep him past his present contract.

[/QUOTE]

Give you one guess as to where the speculation is already ramping up regarding where he'll be in 2016.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs/2014/07/23/maple_leafs_steven_stamkos_ignores_speculation_hell_sign_with_toronto.html

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Ha! Yep, I was just reading that. I have no doubt he will eventually make his way to TO....in about 15 years when he is close to retirement and needs to pad his nest-egg.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

[QUOTE]

Ha! Yep, I was just reading that. I have no doubt he will eventually make his way to TO....in about 15 years when he is close to retirement and needs to pad his nest-egg.

[/QUOTE]

Toronto media will still hype him as the missing part to a Cup, by then way past the half century without one.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

You know I almost feel sorry for Leaf fans.....almost.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davinator. Show Davinator's posts

Stamkos was in T.O. for a pick-up ball hockey game (sponsored by Coca-Cola and spread though the Twitter-verse).

He is likely optimistic(as most players are in the off season) an offered a standard media-groomed hockey player answer.

But as NAS said, why not them? Why not the Bruins again? At this time of year, everyone's in first place.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

[QUOTE]

You know I almost feel sorry for Leaf fans.....almost.

[/QUOTE]

I'm not quite there yet.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

Not sure if this was already noted somewhere jm but congrats on joining the ten grand club.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Oh thanks RHO. Quite the honour indeed :)

Looking forward to you joining us patrons up here

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

8000 of the 10,000 started new threads, too - makes it distinctive!

Are you not entertained?!?!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:
    [QUOTE]

8000 of the 10,000 started new threads, too - makes it distinctive!

[/QUOTE]

And the rest were "bingos"......

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

[QUOTE]

Oh thanks RHO. Quite the honour indeed :)

Looking forward to you joining us patrons up here

[/QUOTE]

I'll be a cryogenically frozen head by then.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Made it to the playoffs last year despite losing Stamkos for some time. I do think he will miss St. Louis though.

[/QUOTE]

I think the Lightning is the one team that closes the gap a bit on the Bruins for the top team in the East this season. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think the Lightning is the one team that closes the gap a bit on the Bruins for the top team in the East this season. 

[/QUOTE]

Me too. A number of teams have improved in the offseason. I think the conference is not going to be the cakewalk it was last year.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Yeah, I don't know.  I don't know if I trust Bishop to put up those numbers again.  I still don't like their blueline with Hedman, Carle, Garrison and Strahlman as a top 4.  I have soft serve cones that were tougher.  They're also relying on a lot of youth up front.  A lot.  It remains to be seen if the Johnson-Palat combo platter can be consistently as good as they were last year.

Washington is intriguing.  Overhauling the D with former Penguins - free agency's 4 point game - addressed a need for them, and Kuznetsov and Ward might just give them enough of a secondary scoring threat to take the pressure off the Ovechkin line. Holtby's still cheap, but sometimes plays cheap, and that could still sink them.  I guess we know why shupe likes them so much?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

[QUOTE]

Yeah, I don't know.  I don't know if I trust Bishop to put up those numbers again.  I still don't like their blueline with Hedman, Carle, Garrison and Strahlman as a top 4.  I have soft serve cones that were tougher.  They're also relying on a lot of youth up front.  A lot.  It remains to be seen if the Johnson-Palat combo platter can be consistently as good as they were last year.

[/QUOTE]

Interesting in that Bishop is still a bit of an unknown. Last playoff it was fairly easy for the Habs to stop the lightning offense.....just shut down Stamkos. They may be a little deeper this season. Garrison and Strahlman will help move the puck up the ice faster and more efficient. But, year, still soft as butter.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Due to what they've done to improve their team or because of Bruin inactivity so far, nite?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Washington is intriguing.  Overhauling the D with former Penguins - free agency's 4 point game - addressed a need for them, and Kuznetsov and Ward might just give them enough of a secondary scoring threat to take the pressure off the Ovechkin line. Holtby's still cheap, but sometimes plays cheap, and that could still sink them.  I guess we know why shupe likes them so much?

Caps are gonna be strong again next year.  

RW- Ovi, Brouwer, Ward, Wilson

LW- MJ, Kuznetsov, Laich, Chimera

C- Backstrom, Burakovsky, Fehr, Beagle(Latta).  

Def they are good, lots of guys who can skate and move the puck.  

Trotz will make this team good.  Lots of teams still looking to upgrade def and Green could net them a nice young talent like Tatar in detroit.  They need a true #2 center but can possibly add via trade as season moves on.  They have really good young prospects.  Caps will be solid next year.  Holtby will turn things around for the better.  

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to RichHillOntario's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Due to what they've done to improve their team or because of Bruin inactivity so far, nite?

[/QUOTE]

The deals that Yzerman has made are significant enough to see them improve. I honestly don't see Boston falling much. Their system & the players have bought into it & I think they'll be just as good providing they can stay healthy in the top nine. I do think that the movement of Eriksson to the top line may hurt the 3rd a bit, but nothing that will stop them from finishing between 1 & 3 in the East.

Sections
Shortcuts