Stanchions

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Stanchions

I was just reading a report on a scientific study into the biomechanical causes behind the accident that caused the death of a luger at the 2010 Olympics in Whistler. It also mentioned the boneheaded design flaw of having an unprotected steel post right beside the track in that location, which the luger collided with, killing him instantly.

And that got me thinking about Chara and MaxPac - not the hit or the craziness that followed, but the design of the rink itself, and whether or not it has been corrected. My local rink still has a similarly exposed stanchion at the bench. I know the Bell Centre stanchion has since had a turnbuckle installed, but what about the other rinks in he league? Does this design flaw still exist in any NHL arenas? If yes, why has it not been repaired? If no, when were the changes done, and what were the safety measures taken?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Re: Stanchions

Darn, I just thought you were starting a list of things that are as smart as you.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

I don't know what's been done, but one guy had a great idea! 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIQ49TsJRGY

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In response to dezaruchi's comment:

Darn, I just thought you were starting a list of things that are as smart as you.

Seriosuly? I've completely dropped it.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

edit: (double post)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to red75's comment:

Seriosuly? I've completely dropped it.

And I seriously couldn't care less how you feel one way or the other. Would your life be different if I said I love you instead? Would "LOL" have solved everything?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:

I don't know what's been done, but one guy had a great idea! 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIQ49TsJRGY

Great idea by Grapes.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

BTW Red, don't act like you're trying to be the bigger person. It's clear to see you only "dropped it" because you didn't have a leg left to stand on.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

No, I just don't unerstand what possible benefit you get out of keeping it going in completely unrelated threads. Whatever floats your boat I guess.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

I had plenty of legs to stand on, I dropped it because it was a stupid meaningless Internet fight, like I said on that thread. If you enjoy them, go for it, don't expect me to keepi it going on my side.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

No, I just don't unerstand what possible benefit you get out of keeping it going in completely unrelated threads. Whatever floats your boat I guess.

Yeah, that's what it is. You just don't get it. Maybe you can explain the benefits of needlessly starting a fight to begin with? Frankly, I'm just amusing myself right now. Your feelings mean nothing to me. Do I need to be any clearer than that?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Anywhose, back on topic, aside from Cherry ae there other ideas out there - it looks like what Philly did works.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Why do we need new ideas? Montreal was one of the last places to update the design and injuries from stanchions are as rare as snow in the Grand Canyon.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

OMG DEZ drop the quarter, you are one of the best posters on here in my book.  Yet, you are like the person who speeds up in the passing lane to avoid being passed.  No one is first, it is a matter of conversation. If you disagree, say so, then argue if you are right to a degree ofnot  destroying the whole of concept, blogsphere logic....   I fear this is a Chowda/NAS discussion from the summer of 2010.  What was the argument?  I cannot remember.  You too Red, if you really want to end the argument, then don't feel sensitive to continue.  Otherwise Dez is correct.  Stop this please.  

The stanchions issue should be a number one item of topic considering the CTE mantra of the NHL, NFL, etc.  As for the Chara/Pac debate, well, Quebec is a different culture, and to this fan humorous.    Fix the stanchions!  Or change the word to stand up posts not to offend Quebecois logic.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to islamorada's comment:

OMG DEZ drop the quarter, you are one of the best posters on here in my book.  Yet, you are like the person who speeds up in the passing lane to avoid being passed.  No one is first, it is a matter of conversation. If you disagree, say so, then argue if you are right to a degree ofnot  destroying the whole of concept, blogsphere logic....   I fear this is a Chowda/NAS discussion from the summer of 2010.  What was the argument?  I cannot remember.  You too Red, if you really want to end the argument, then don't feel sensitive to continue.  Otherwise Dez is correct.  Stop this please.  

The stanchions issue should be a number one item of topic considering the CTE mantra of the NHL, NFL, etc.  As for the Chara/Pac debate, well, Quebec is a different culture, and to this fan humorous.    Fix the stanchions!  Or change the word to stand up posts not to offend Quebecois logic.  

Isla, what's wrong with the current stanchions? Can you think of another player to have been hurt by one? I don't think it's really an issue. The NHL has problems that are far more important than the stanchions. That's the point I just made. Am I wrong about that?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Whaddya talking about, guys get run into the stanchions all the time.

I remember they showed a clip in the old garden of Modano getting run into the stanchion and getting knocked out or at least hurt.  And then they showed the stretcher guys dropping him on the way into the ambulance.

Do we really have to have a body count before changing it to something safer?

And how much time do you lose while they scrape a body off the ice?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to BadHabitude's comment:

I remember they showed a clip in the old garden of Modano getting run into the stanchion and getting knocked out or at least hurt.  And then they showed the stretcher guys dropping him on the way into the ambulance.

So you can remember 2 players then. So many that you need to bring up the "old Garden" as proof of an epidemic. I believe I already stated that Montreal was the last arena to update the stanchion design. Again I ask, what seems to be the problem with them now (aside from knee-jerk hysteria)?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Let's ban stretchers too because someone got dropped from one.........

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Red,

The good thing about how they've curved the glass is that it doesn't change play at all.  I was always surprised that the hard corners were there.  I can't believe no one got killed by one of them, and am happy they've solved the problem there.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

Red,

The good thing about how they've curved the glass is that it doesn't change play at all.  I was always surprised that the hard corners were there.  I can't believe no one got killed by one of them, and am happy they've solved the problem there.

Nas, I am also happy the problem has been dealt with.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

So you can remember 2 players then. So many that you need to bring up the "old Garden" as proof of an epidemic. I believe I already stated that Montreal was the last arena to update the stanchion design. Again I ask, what seems to be the problem with them now (aside from knee-jerk hysteria)?

Dez, watch the clip that NOB/nite posted. In it there's a compilation of hits into the stanchion from the last decade, there must be at least or close to 30 - and Maclean and Cherry say they're not showing close to all of them. It's a common problem - last time I went to a Jets game, it looked similar to what MaxPac got hurt on. So is there a league standard yet, like with the curved glass NAS refers to? If not, why?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Also NAS, what do you think works better - the curved glass or the gymnastic-padding style turnbuckles in Philly? An open question.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

I don't understand why they don't use the idea Cherry suggested.  Lesser NHL practice rinks could retrofit the change easily as it uses a standard sheet of plexi, but simply angled.  I've seen the curved glass and I can't imagine how that would actually work.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Also NAS, what do you think works better - the curved glass or the gymnastic-padding style turnbuckles in Philly? An open question.

They'd probably work the same, but the curved glass would be a lot more pleasing to view.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Dez, watch the clip that NOB/nite posted. In it there's a compilation of hits into the stanchion from the last decade, there must be at least or close to 30 - and Maclean and Cherry say they're not showing close to all of them. It's a common problem - last time I went to a Jets game, it looked similar to what MaxPac got hurt on. So is there a league standard yet, like with the curved glass NAS refers to? If not, why?

I watched the clip Red. I just feel it's an issue that was essentially dealt with already. I'm not trying to be argumentative when I say I don't remember a single incident from last season involving an injury due to stanchions. Cheers! Hockey is almost back! Go Bruins!

Sections
Shortcuts