Stand up Defenseman

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

Stand up Defenseman

A very well written column by Dan Shaughnessy on Ference. My apologies if this has already been posted.
    http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/bruins/articles/2011/02/08/the_call_here_bruins_ference_a_stand_up_defenseman/?page=2

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

Re: Stand up Defenseman

i agree with shaughnessy...kudos to ference. i would have done the same thimg myself. it was a cheap shot taken by paille, and 2 two of the leaders on the bruins have been sidelined by cheapshots. supporting bergy and savvy is a no brainer, to downplay pailles hit would be offensive to these team leaders, almost condoning these hits. don cherry is a meat head- "axe murderer", really? he had very little credibility... now he has none 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

Completely agree with Shaughnessy/Ference. Milbury is a joke. Im glad my hometown (Walpole) is changing the Milbury cup to the Songin cup. Basically because Mike is such a jerk he wont even acknolwedge the event or anything.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Shaughnessy is a moron.  Any member of the media that hasnt played the sport should not talk about something they have never experienced.

Speaking out about it is fine and I could have gone along with this IF he didnt throw Paille under the bus.  Time and place. 

With that said it was a good read and this wasnt directed at any of the 3 posters on this thread.

Apparently I need sensitivity training so I apologize in advance if I have offended you.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I don't buy that, shupe.  The media shouldn't write about anything they haven't actually experienced?  How far does that extend?  Should only former politicians be allowed to write about politics because they're the only ones who know what goes on behind closed doors?  You hear this from athletes all the time and it's a wonderful way to say that you're basically beyond criticism except from your peers - we'd all love that.  Transfer that sound bite from the locker room to the Jerry Springer show and it's "You don't know me!! You don't know me!! I do what I want!!"

And this whole thing is ridiculous.  If Paille feels badly it's either because he feels what Ference said is true - bad hit, trying to get it out of the game, no one wants that - OR he feels bad because he's been suspended for 4 games.  I'll assume it's that he thinks it was a bad hit, even if it was unintentional.  So if Ference is just saying what any player with any kind of character at all feels, why is he a bad guy?  He didn't single Paille out, he didn't say he's that kind of player.  He said it was a bad hit.  It was.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Book,

This has been thrown back and forth so please don't take offense to this.  I know what the media's role is.  And I can accept that they have a job to do.  But bad media is good media b/c it sells.  
    But I take the words of former players a lot more serious than any of these ambulance chasing media types.  TSN/CBC are littered with ex-players/coaches and I tend to take their words over someone who has never played the game.

Was it a bad hit in todays game? Yes.  Should AF have kept his mouth shut?  Yes. 

Cheers

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Shupe, I'm with you. Shaunnessey has always stepped in to get his own name out there. Ference should have waited and then said his peice about head shots. There was no need for him to mention Paille, just stick to the subject. A close review indicates it was primarily a shoulder hit, and the player has a shoulder injury, not a concussion or head injury.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

In Response to Re: Stand up Defenseman:
    Shupe, I'm with you. Shaunnessey has always stepped in to get his own name out there. Ference should have waited and then said his peice about head shots. There was no need for him to mention Paille, just stick to the subject. A close review indicates it was primarily a shoulder hit, and the player has a shoulder injury, not a concussion or head injury.
    Posted by bogie6

He has a broken face. Wether it was from Paille's shoulder or hitting his face on the ice IDK.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

This is hockey, sensitivity training in the other room with figure skating, Tanya Harding is giving the speak.

Ference should have kept his mouth shut, at least he has helped his teammates, in answering everything about this stupidity, they haven't had to talk about poor hockey efforts and let down after Dal game.

Me thinks they doth protest too much.  The more it is talked about the less likely it is to go away.

The hit was not a bad hit, it was a missed good hit, Pail targeted the shoulder, hit the shoulder, follow through hit the face.  THE PLAYER WAS CARRYING THE PUCK, HE IS A TARGET. THIS HIT IS NOT COMPARABLE TO SAVARD HIT, SAVARD'S HEAD WAS THE TARGET.

Julien had it right, player has to have head up as well and be aware, yes the onus is on the hitter, but the player better be aware.
    Then PC hit it as well, before speaking to media, he would have reviewed the hit and talked about it with parties involved, Ference SHOULD HAVE SHUT HIS TRAP.

Yes Ference is a standup defenceman, is having his best year as a Bruin, I have defended him when people were calling for his head in past because of his play.  There comes a time when a player's mouth outweighs his hockey skills, Ference is not there yet, but is fastly honing in on becoming dispensable.

While many people here, believe this is alright to spew whatever comes into his head, most teams and GM's would prefer that shiite be kept in the freakin locker room. Pretty sure PC just LOVES talkin about this.

Ference days will be numbered, nothing to do with status of Pail as a 4th liner, has to do with his status as a teammate, I was shocked last year when he was kept after the union fiasco.  I was happy but shocked he was kept.  Rec and Sav were very unhappy then as well, he may survive this, but no way if he opens his trap before thinking again.

Yeah honesty is a good trait, now go tell your aunt she is not your uncle and to shave off her mustache.

Awwwwwww shaddupp!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

this entire topic reminds me of that geico commercial with the drill sergeant"well why don't we march on down to mamby pamby land..." why are people defending poor paille-did ference hurt his feelings?...awww. if you f'up, and can't handle being called on it- you need to grow up and join the real world.  i was raised with what's called "tough love", i never questioned how much i was cared for- because everything came from the heart. now if a team is a family...how does this not work there also? how did paille become the victim here? ference chose to stand up for his family members-savvy and bergy...instead of being politically correct- how is this wrong? stop candy coating the world... some of it is ugly like it or not

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

Look clearly the Bruins dont give to flying F's about this and would much rather have it just die. Paille and Ference kissed and Made up. Bergy/Recchi defended AF. They alls aid the locker room is fine they got together had a few beers and watched the superbowl no drama.

The only ones harping about this are a few certain posters bonehead mike and hit or miss don. Piledriver isnt an emotionally frail person(not that I know of he must have a good constitution to sit upstairs and play well when he does get called on.)

CJ's Comments were numbskulled how do Bergy and Savard feel about blaming the victims? I suppose if they were NEO from the matrix they could have avoided those hits but in reality they couldnt have.

Paile came from the blindside case closed. You want to get rid of these hits? Dont be twofaced like crosby and man up when your wrong. AF is respected by players on his team and across the league. I dont think anyone here knows better.

And to those who say Mike Milbury knows better. Does he? Is he in the B's locker room more htan Bergy, Recchi, AF?? No if they say all is good ill take their words over loudmouth mike.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from misterpaulo. Show misterpaulo's posts

At the end of the day the comments made by PC stick with me the most.

AF should have reserved his comments until he viewed a replay and perhaps had more time to gather his emotions.  AF can say the dressing room is fine with what he said and in his mind it probably is, but after reading PC's comments, he clearly would have preferred that AF handle that interview differently.  I bet there are other guys in that dressing room that feel the same way as well (right or wrong).

Call these players and media personalities cavemen, old school, out of touch, whatever, but remember we are talking about a game that punishes fist fighting with a meager 5 minute penalty (even when a player gets concussed due to a punch).  If a player can get his mind scrambled during an intentional fist fight (like when AF smoked Adam Burish of the Stars who is now out), I struggle hearing everyone come down so hard on a player that makes an unsafe reaction play in the heat of the moment.

We are all hypocrites.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

this entire topic reminds me of that geico commercial with the drill sergeant"well why don't we march on down to mamby pamby land..." Posted by adkbeesfan

I love that commercial! I like your take on this. People have their panties in a bunch over something that just shouldn't be a big deal. AF answered a question honestly, showed some sack by not taking the wuss bus, and nobody except Paille had a problem with it IMO. In fact, I would bet there are more guys on the team that appreciated the comments (Bergy and Savvy for sure) than cared one way or the other. If not for a few in the media sensationalizing it, the story would have died already.
    (throws a box of tissues at Shup) lol

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Book, This has been thrown back and forth so please don't take offense to this.  I know what the media's role is.  And I can accept that they have a job to do.  But bad media is good media b/c it sells.   But I take the words of former players a lot more serious than any of these ambulance chasing media types.  TSN/CBC are littered with ex-players/coaches and I tend to take their words over someone who has never played the game. Was it a bad hit in todays game? Yes.  Should AF have kept his mouth shut?  Yes.  Cheers
    Posted by shuperman

No offense taken shupe - let 'er rip.  But I still don't agree.  I think that whole line of argument comes from the players (in every sport).  They don't like being called out.  We get sold that line because we know being a pro athlete is a different world, but that doesn't mean it's true.  I want media who can think, gather information and process that information reasonably and preferrably without an overt agenda (cough*Milbury*cough).  That's what makes you a good journalist, whether you cover sports or politics. 

There's definitely a place for former players, especially smart ones who know how to include insider knowledge in their analysis rather than just continually remind us of "when I played...".  But don't think for a second that those guys aren't ambulance chasers and media shills the second they trade a jersey for a blazer.  They're trading on their past, and they sell that asset hard because it's their primary qualification for their jobs (remember PJ Stock's first year on HNIC?  Painful!)  And sometimes, even when they've convinced themselves they're "telling it like it is," they're lying to themselves or repeating something they've been led to believe.  Everyone does it.  No such thing as a true autobiography.

Scotty Bowman never played a pro game, nor did Mike Babcock.  Bob McKenzie never played a pro game, nor did Pierre LeBrun or Eliot Friedman.  Ken Holland played 4 NHL games, and Lou Lamoriello never played pro.  Pretty sure they all excel because they're smart about the game of hockey.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

this entire topic reminds me of that geico commercial with the drill sergeant"well why don't we march on down to mamby pamby land..." why are people defending poor paille-did ference hurt his feelings?...awww. if you f'up, and can't handle being called on it- you need to grow up and join the real world.  i was raised with what's called "tough love", i never questioned how much i was cared for- because everything came from the heart. now if a team is a family...how does this not work there also? how did paille become the victim here? ference chose to stand up for his family members-savvy and bergy...instead of being politically correct- how is this wrong? stop candy coating the world... some of it is ugly like it or not
    Posted by adkbeesfan

I asked this same question on another thread and have yet to receive an answer.Can someone tell me what positives can be taken from AF speaking his mind?What does Paille's hit have to do with Bergy and Savard?Apples and oranges.Out of the 3 hits,Pailles' was the only one not worthy of a suspension(in my mind).Paille is generally considered a clean player who now is being talked about in the same breath as Matt Cooke.I personally think there is something wrong about that.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

here's the positive i see...why can't the bruins as an organization stand for something? say, like , we as a group of athletes will not stand aside and watch players intentionally harm each other.  if you do... you will not play for this organization, if you do it against us...there will be swift retribution(this is where chara steps into the fray).this could be a team building experience...its us versus the bad guys and the league...they could be the the new sheriff in town and clean it up. think about it- you've got to start with a paille departure(not JUST for this-he's been the worst performing forward all year) as part of any move made by the trade deadline...then they can all don their badges and save the world...and win a cup

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

btw...i don't think it was a targeted head shot...but it was a targeted cheap shot

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

btw...i don't think it was a targeted head shot...but it was a targeted cheap shot
    Posted by adkbeesfan

I'll say the hit was borderline(not cheap) but am willing to give him a little more leeway since his spot in the lineup is so unstable at best.Let's agree to disagree because this debate could still be going come playoff time if we let it.Cheers.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from stingerjp. Show stingerjp's posts

At first i wasn't too sure how i felt about this one.  Generally, a player should keep his comments out of the paper and say what he needs to in the dressing room.  However, after last season's cheap shot by Cooke, i can remember Guerin and Crosby speaking up about Cooke's hit having no place in hockey.  I admired both having the integrity to condemn the actions of a teammate. 

I don't see much of a difference on this one.  I view Crosby as one of the best LEADERS in the the league, and because he spoke up last year, i'll have to side with Ference with this one.

I am surprised that one part of the story is being left out of the news coverage:  the fact that Ference was a big part of the Paul Kelley fiasco and that many players on the B's spoke out against Ference's role in that firing.  Is the finger pointing at Ference today connected to any lingering feeling from Ference's union involvement a couple of years ago?   Not sure but i do think it has added to the questions being asked about AF right now...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

if paille is dealt in their move-whatever it may be- they will officially be deputized... and then watch out- the big bad bruins are coming to town like a clint eastwood classic(he never lost a fight)- b's win cup 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

dez, I think you can only speak of potential benefits.  Being mature enough to criticize the action but still back your teammate isn't easy and it shows character, professionalism, and conviction.  I would hope that contributes to the Bruins identity, so when teams come in they know they aren't playing a team that loves the cheap stuff when it works for them and cry like Nancy Kerrigan when it doesn't.  Maybe, just maybe, that keeps teams from thinking "let's do it to them before they do it to us."  As long as the Bruins have half a dozen guys who can answer the bell, this won't come off as wussy because it's not motivated by fear.

At very least, I respect the team for not closing ranks and crying that Paille is paying for a mistake.  Donte Stallworth also paid for a mistake.  When a guy makes a mistake, he deals with the consequences and everyone moves on.  When a guy does something like this on purpose, he fights tooth and nail against the consequences...so he can do it again.

This isn't Robby Ftorek hanging Kyle McLaren out.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"A very well written column by Dan Shaughnessy"

Not in the same sentence he needs to stick to railing on Epstein for not making the right moves (comical), calling out Ellsbury for seeking a second opinion or apologizing to JD Drew for not doing enough research to realize that the Drew's child was in a body cast during JDs first season.

Shaughnessy and Milbury are tired with their rants. BDC and NESN need new blood on their staff that have a grip on reality. Ference should not be praised for calling Paille out Andrew should be praised for finally settling this in private which he did at the super bowl party the Bruins players had too bad "Curse of the Bambino" researcher didn't wait to write the article.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

dez, I think you can only speak of potential benefits.  Being mature enough to criticize the action but still back your teammate isn't easy and it shows character, professionalism, and conviction.  I would hope that contributes to the Bruins identity, so when teams come in they know they aren't playing a team that loves the cheap stuff when it works for them and cry like Nancy Kerrigan when it doesn't.  Maybe, just maybe, that keeps teams from thinking "let's do it to them before they do it to us."  As long as the Bruins have half a dozen guys who can answer the bell, this won't come off as wussy because it's not motivated by fear. At very least, I respect the team for not closing ranks and crying that Paille is paying for a mistake.  Donte Stallworth also paid for a mistake.  When a guy makes a mistake, he deals with the consequences and everyone moves on.  When a guy does something like this on purpose, he fights tooth and nail against the consequences...so he can do it again. This isn't Robby Ftorek hanging Kyle McLaren out.
    Posted by Bookboy007

I see your point but still wish he said nothing.I'm not expecting anyone to come out and applaud Paille but like most mothers like to say"if you can't say something nice about someone..........."

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

At first i wasn't too sure how i felt about this one.  Generally, a player should keep his comments out of the paper and say what he needs to in the dressing room.  However, after last season's cheap shot by Cooke, i can remember Guerin and Crosby speaking up about Cooke's hit having no place in hockey.  I admired both having the integrity to condemn the actions of a teammate.  I don't see much of a difference on this one.  I view Crosby as one of the best LEADERS in the the league, and because he spoke up last year, i'll have to side with Ference with this one. I am surprised that one part of the story is being left out of the news coverage:  the fact that Ference was a big part of the Paul Kelley fiasco and that many players on the B's spoke out against Ference's role in that firing.  Is the finger pointing at Ference today connected to any lingering feeling from Ference's union involvement a couple of years ago?   Not sure but i do think it has added to the questions being asked about AF right now...
    Posted by stingerjp

Ference actually called out Crosby for having NOT said anything after the hit on Savard.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

ok dez...so wouldn't ference be a hypocrite for not calling out palle? i bet you crosby wished he had said something now-little late. good for you andrew ference. you can't talk the talk if your not willing to walk the walk.

Sections
Shortcuts