Start Targeting the 2012 Season

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruinscam. Show bruinscam's posts

Re: Start Targeting the 2012 Season

i agree, again this team has no d  no pp no balls    but have best 1 2 goalies   thats not gunna cut it  they might make playoffs  but will fold like a cheap tent,,,,they can;t beat a pathetic habs team  ,,what are they against them last 10 games   2 wins?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruinscam. Show bruinscam's posts

by far the worst pp in hockey    ccrapp

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

Sad but true...very well said, and on the money.

"Being negative is just pointless and counter productive to even enjoying what little joy this current Bruins team is capable of providing to their fan base."

"Let's all just hope I should say pray for changes and try to enjoy whatever good comes out of the season."

^^^This is probably the best thing I've read on this board...and as a fan that reality sukz beyond description...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from abra-cadaver. Show abra-cadaver's posts

I wouldn't mind CJ's defensive style if they had a good PP to make up for the lack of even strength scoring.  But their PP is a joke.  90% of the time they cant even get set up in the offensive zone, let alone score.  Ward needs to be sht canned before CJ.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bobforte2002. Show bobforte2002's posts

In Response to Re: Start Targeting the 2012 Season:
    [QUOTE]LOL I get a kick out of reading these Flyers came within 2 wins of the cup last year after fininshing 8th in the regualr season and no Number 1 starting goalie. Did it ever occur to you that the Bruins learned something from last year They will kick it up in March   You watch!
    Posted by samsonov[/QUOTE]

What I meant by modeling the Bruins after a team like the Flyers is their willingness to bring in a new coach that plays an up tempo, aggressive forechecking game their willingness to make a commitment to developing and playing young talent up front and either drafting, trading or signing d-men that can both play physical and offensive games. 

My reference to the Flyers had absolutely nothing to do with their regular season or playoff performance last year or the year before.  And like I mentioned in my original post unlike our loss in the playoffs last year, that was just yet another in a long line of recent Bruins collapses, I'm betting the experience their young players gained in their run and ultimate loss in the finals betters them.  They didn't lose to the Blackhawks because they collapsed.  They lost because the team they were trying to model themselves after (the Hawks) were a year or two ahead of them talent and experience wise.  

Just compare their D-men to the Bruins D.  Only Chara cracks their top 4, Ferrence and Seidenberg would by 5&6. Boychuck and Mcquaid would be in the minors because they lack NHL talent and Kampfer and Bartwoski would be in the minors developing because the Flyers already have NHL caliber d-men.

Again where the Flyers finished last year means less than where we finished. It's not where they have been but where they appear to be heading.  Based on what you see here in the Bruins if the talent stays the same and the coaching stays the same do you like where we are headed as a franchise?  I pray your answer is no. Otherwise you might want to start posting your rebuttals on the Harry Potter message board you probably moderate. At least maybe you understand that world better than the world of the Bruins.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mikeonetwo. Show Mikeonetwo's posts

Savard was severly concussed.  Expecting him to be a point per game player is a little ridiculous.  Remember, it takes time to come back from injury.  Give him a break and most importantly some time to get back to top form.

Second Thornton is a role player.  He plays his role well.  Locker room presence is important. 

Recchi, is old.  He scored the game winner just now.  I agree with reducing his minutes somewhat, he'll come through in the clutch, you'll rejoice. He's better than you think.

Ryder is having a good year, however, I agree with all the hate this guy gets.

Coaching is just OK.  If the team takes periods off, in my eyes, thats a coaching problem.  Part of the job is keep you team motivated. 

We have a good team.  We have good players.  We have great goaltending. All we need is great coaching.

Most importantly, theres half a season left! 

Relax!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Blow up the team they got a point in Montreal and two points in Pittsburgh.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jake1977. Show Jake1977's posts

SanDog,

Do you really think this team, currently constructed, is going anywhere in the playoffs?  I don't think they should blow up this team, but they are going nowhere again this year. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Read my posts I've maintained that PC needs to make a few moves.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jake1977. Show Jake1977's posts

I mostly read and very rarely comment, can you tell me again the moves you think he should make?  I am interested in your ideas, as I usually agree with what you say...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

Let's not forget, most "fans" didn't even think this team would make the playoffs last year... and they were inches away from improving upon the previous stellar season.

I agree a few moves are needed... let's enjoy watching.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Jake, I've always maintained the the Bruins need more speed on the wing and need a better Defenseman to QB the powerplay some might call that a "PMD" but that is not allowed here so lets just say "offensive minded Dman who can skate rather fast".

See there is a contingent on this particular board lets call them "the snob know it all crowd" that say trade threads are dumb and Chiarelli won't be able to bring anyone better in to improve the team but I say let the trade threads ride.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowboys9. Show cowboys9's posts

Hey Sandog, you miss Kessel and Wideman don't you? LOL..

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Start Targeting the 2012 Season:[QUOTE]Hey Sandog, you miss Kessel and Wideman don't you? LOL.Posted by cowboys9[/QUOTE]

I always tune into NHL Center Ice when the Panthers play so I can watch the "it's electric" blueline dance of WIDE MANS it's truly an amazing feat.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

I agree with the original poster.  Its not disrespectful to CJ to state the team has passed him by.  CJ was a superb fit for this team when they were young, disorganized, and undisciplined.  He formed a solid defensive system and pushed them into the playoffs.  He deserves credit for that.

However, the early exits last 2 years, incredibly maddeningly inconsistent performances over the last 2 years, tells me: 1. they have tuned him out 2. the system doesnt work any more and a bulk of older, soft and inconsistent players like Ryder, TT, Wheeler, etc have to go and they need to use the infusion of talent and youth and speed with the Marchands, Carons, Seguins, et al.

The OP is dead-on when he says the B's coaching change should mirror the infusion of up-tempo , speed and offensive mode that happened after changes in Pittsburgh and Philly.  The B's arent an overly talented offensive team, but not as bad as they look many nights.  Knock off the defense-first stuff and try to take this team to the next level. Let some of these skill guys use their skill.

I think especially after last year's collapse, that CJ is only here because PC didnt want to pay him, Lewis and a coach #3.  Anything short of a deep playoff run sends CJ down the road this offseason, along with a core of the current players and possibly even PC.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from fordprefect. Show fordprefect's posts

11th post

/Thread.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bobforte2002. Show bobforte2002's posts

In Response to Re: Start Targeting the 2012 Season:
    [QUOTE]I mostly read and very rarely comment, can you tell me again the moves you think he should make?  I am interested in your ideas, as I usually agree with what you say...
    Posted by Jake1977[/QUOTE]

Jake,

I'm no GM so I'm not going to go on a tirade in tune with if I were GM I would make this move, that move and this move and we'd win the cup this year. If it were that easy we'd all be GMs and the Bruins would win the cup every year.

However I do believe I'm knowledgeable enough about the sport and in particular the Bruins and their prospect system to point out some things that may be able to help.

Current NHL Team Roster:

There just isn't enough true goal scoring talent up front, the lack team speed, they lack size (not depth) at center and lack entirely (beyond Kampfer) any d-men that can consistently skate, make plays out of their own end and man the point on the PP effectively.

Proposed Changes if the Bruins want to win this year or next:

With a stock pile of picks (including two 1st and two 2nds in this year's draft) along with a solid but somewhat unspectacular prospects in the minors, playing in college, junior or over seas it would seem the Bruins have the ammunition to make moves to bring in the size and speed they lack at forward and the play making/puck moving they lack on defense.

As for who to go after that's been addressed on some many threads it would take forever to rehash all the ideas so here's a truncated version.  Guys like Shea Weber or Keith Yandle would cost too much (in prospects and picks) so the Bruins have to aim lower and try to target guys such as Jordan Leopold, Christian Erhoof, Kevin Bieska or Matt Niskanen Not a very sexy group. 

Chiraelli has already addressed this deficiency by trading and or drafting players such as Kampfer, Warsosfky and Bartowski.   Guys like Bieska and Erhoff are UFA's next year so unless the Bruins are willing to give up literally the farm to get a Weber or Yandle I think we have to take a look at the second tier guys I mentioned above and hope that players like Kampfer, Warsosfky and Bartowski develop sooner rather than later.  As a side note I would stay away from the likes of the Kaberle's and Corvo's of the world.  If the players cause more goals than contribute to scoring they aren't worth brining in.  That's why we got rid of Dennis Wideman.

At forward one of Krejci, Bergeron or Savard needs to go as we are fairly deep at center. These guys all lack size and are all on the play making side of the house versus the goal scoring side of this house . Which of course would be fine if we were stock piled with snipers at wing but we are not .  Not at the NHL level and not in the minors.  Beyond Seguin there is not a single Bruins prospect that projects as an elite and consistent 25-40 goal a year threat.  Lucic and Wheeler have shown promise as much as inconsistency.  Seguin has the potential but no guaranty he'll produce.  The rest of the squad is either old (Recci - third and fourth line variety -Campbell, Marchand, Thorton, Paille, Caron) or probably out the door anyway soon (Ryder, Wheeler).

Our prospects in the minors, college or Junior aren't in the mold of the Semin's or Malkin's of the world either.  Arniel, Sauve, Spooner, Knight, Colbrone may all turn out to be solid NHL talent but 25-40 goal a year scorers. Not likely.

There's no quick fix to this except to shed salary in the off season (Savard, Thomas, Ryder, Wheeler) and to bring in UFAs or sign an RFA forward (s) to an offer sheet (Zach Parise?) This is very risky and costly ask Brian Burke). A couple of UFA forwards worth maybe taking the risk on next year (Alex Semin, Brad Richards, Erik Cole and Miko Koivu).

The goal tending is solid at the big club level but pretty shabby even at the AHL and development levels. If they shed Thomas they have to bring in a veteran like Craig Anderson or Osgood to back up Tuuka and draft or trade for some goal tending prospects ASAP.

As an organization their drafting has improved but it's been clear for a long time that the Bruins simply aren't spending the money to draft and develop talent from Europe. I believe the money that it costs to aggressively scout in Europe combined with the Bruins and other teams fear of drafting euro players that may never play for the team (which has happened to them) has caused this.  This has to change as quite a bit of talent (particularly offensive) is coming from the continent. 

As for coaching I'm less inclined to chastise Claude for his style of play as I am for the fact that his teams Bruins and otherwise have played far to timid, inconsistent and without heart.  His unwillingness to alter his approach game to game (or even in game), his leaning on veterans too much even if they are playing terrible and is handling of younger players even if they are outperforming veterans (didn't marchand deserve to be moved up and take minutes from Recci, Wheeler or Ryder) are more the reasons he has to be replaced.  In his defense the Bruins don't have forwards with speed to carry the puck through the neutral zone or d-men who can skate or make plays. Thus changing to a hard core forechecking game an up tempo team play with a new coach will only be effective if the personal changes as well. Just changing the coach won't make a difference, the NHL is not the NBA.

That's my take anyway. What do I know. I can't even get my team in NHL 11 to make the playoffs ;)

Sections
Shortcuts