State of the Bruins

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from nrguy. Show nrguy's posts

Re: State of the Bruins

The PP has to improve, quickly. Otherwise happy with where they are and in-line with preseason expectations. Exceeding expectations on defense and meeting expectations on offense. Loss of expected production from Savard and Horton has been picked up by Bergeron, Lucic, and Marchand. 

I understand why people are unhappy with this team but I just don't agree with it. Opinions are like a******s, everyone has one, they all stink.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

I'll agree about the PP (especially without Savard).

Areas for improvement:
    More (some?) scoring from the likes of Wheeler, Horton, and yes, Seguin (most forwards, in fact).
    Better puck possession (this has bugged me all year long, so many passes get fumbled or are in the attacker's skates).
    Lastly, more than anything they just need to be stone cold killers. They jump on a team and then seem to pull back. Last night's game was a prime example. That should NOT have been a nail-biter.

But the glass is 3/4 full

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

Check back after their last game.  We're probably all pretty happy with where they are now but this organization won't get any props from me until they're playing at the end of May/beginning of June - too many blown playoff series for my liking.  But yes, I'm happy with what they're doing and enjoy watching but the ultimate question is will they be able to compete for a Cup?  That's really all that matters.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

I am sure most watched last nights game.  And that is the exact reason why I continue to stress the need for additional players.  We need a scoring winger and a top 4 dman.  Hemsky\s name has come up but I don't think he is the correct fit.

2-1 games can be won by either side.  If no improvement is made we are not going far.  At least add another dman to take some minutes away from chara.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

In Response to Re: State of the Bruins:
    Check back after their last game.  We're probably all pretty happy with where they are now but this organization won't get any props from me until they're playing at the end of May/beginning of June - too many blown playoff series for my liking.  But yes, I'm happy with what they're doing and enjoy watching but the ultimate question is will they be able to compete for a Cup?  That's really all that matters.
    Posted by hangnail

Ditto what this guy says.

I'm glad they are where they are in the standings...I like that we have Seguin and that Marchand is a real nice surprise, along w/Kampfer...TT has just been phenomenal, and is as good a story as there is in hockey...I'm thrilled we have Chara anchoring the D, and I think he's extremely under-valued.

But the bottom line is I'm just one of those long-suffering Bruins fans who's so unbelievably sick of tacking on year after year w/out a championship. I want them playing in June for the Cup. Look at the Flyers--they've been to the finals, I think 6 times, since the late 80's? They haven't won but they've been d*mn close and the Bruins haven't had even a glimpse at the Cup in 21 years, and we all know how long it's been since actually drinking from it.

The Cup, The Cup, The Cup.

Every year that goes by without it the Orr footage gets grainier and grainier.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

I'm not as adamant about the CUP. I prefer that they play well with"chemistry". At all levels lines and defensive pairings excel when they know where their partners are or will be as the game progresses. In last nite's game Bergeron's line buzzed the Florida net with repeated passes to where they knew a linemate would be. Even with Recchi's skills deteriorating, he still has smarts and knows where Bergie and Marchand will go; pass; and shoot, so that he can be in a position to help and contribute. I've lobbied for moving Rex to the 4th line, but that would be wrong. There are some players on the bruins who may never acquire the smarts Rex demonstrates like Boychuck [ poor passes, ring around the boards] and Thornton[ out of position, poor passes, reactive not thinking or instinctive]. As such, I would replace Thornton with a line of Wheeler/Campbell and Paille; and I would replace Boychuck with Stuart; have Kamfer /Seidenberg; Chara/Ference/ Stuart/McQuaid.. With Savard out, I'd replace him with Hamill, a smart center, good vision, and minimal impact on the CAP. Keep kreji and Bergie's lines as is.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bandgbleeder. Show bandgbleeder's posts

They need to get the powerplay to work. This probably means tossing Marchand and Seguin in head first and yanking Krejci out until he gets his act together.

That, and they really need to develop some bloodlust. They get ahead of teams but just don't twist the dagger. They need to finish people off.

In Response to State of the Bruins:
    The All-Star break seems like a perfect time to recap the first half (okay, it’s really more like 61%) of the season. The Bruins currently rank 3 rd in the conference and are tied in fourth for points. They are 28-15-7 (for 63 points) and they’re on pace to finish the year at 46-25-11 (for 103 points). They’re 1 st in the league in defense (2.1 goals-allowed/game), 6 th in the league in offense (3.0 goals/game), 4 th in penalty killing (85%), and 18 th on the power play (17.5%). Perhaps more importantly, I think most fans (and the players and coaches too) feel like this team can play better. The pessimist might say that they’re under-achieving; the optimist might say, “If they’re doing well and they have room for improvement, things can only get better.” My question for you guys is, what do you think is the thing they need to improve most? (And I don’t mean swinging a deal for the Sedin twins, I mean something the current players could improve on, i.e. breakouts or the power play). Would love to hear your thoughts…
    Posted by legolaspinkerton

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

I'm not as adamant about the CUP. I prefer that they play well with"chemistry". At all levels lines and defensive pairings excel when they know where their partners are or will be as the game progresses. In last nite's game Bergeron's line buzzed the Florida net with repeated passes to where they knew a linemate would be. Even with Recchi's skills deteriorating, he still has smarts and knows where Bergie and Marchand will go; pass; and shoot, so that he can be in a position to help and contribute. I've lobbied for moving Rex to the 4th line, but that would be wrong. There are some players on the bruins who may never acquire the smarts Rex demonstrates like Boychuck [ poor passes, ring around the boards] and Thornton[ out of position, poor passes, reactive not thinking or instinctive]. As such, I would replace Thornton with a line of Wheeler/Campbell and Paille; and I would replace Boychuck with Stuart; have Kamfer /Seidenberg; Chara/Ference/ Stuart/McQuaid.. With Savard out, I'd replace him with Hamill, a smart center, good vision, and minimal impact on the CAP. Keep kreji and Bergie's lines as is.
    Posted by bogie6

I think those are all good points, Bogie, but I'm curious--why do you not care as much about the Bruins actually winning hockey's greatest prize? I'm not critcizing--just sincerely curious--wondering if perhaps you haven't been a Bruins fan for as long as some and don't feel the approaching 40-year drought....or perhaps you were old enough to remember and appreciate their last victory and that's enough for you? (I was only 6 years old when they won the Cup in '72 and obviously couldn't fully revel in its significance.

I still love watching hockey for the sport itself...I even try to get to as many Div. 1 college games as I can, and I appreciate a sweet pass to a closing winger and a top shelf goal as much as anyone...but when you pledge your ellgiance to a team as faithfully as most who bleed Black and Gold do, isn't the ultimate goal to see that team win the Stanley Cup? And shouldn't that be the Bruins #1 top priority as an organization and to its fan base? I'm not asking for 3 in a row like Stanley has, but I'd rather not have this be an 86-year Red Soxian type of situation, or a Cubs thing either!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

It may sound minor, but I'd like to see the coaches get the players to use their sticks more when pressing the forecheck. They've done an ok job on the forecheck this season, but too often they focus on putting physical pressure and ignoring the passing lanes. Often they'll come in and their sticks aren't even on the ice. If they kept up the same physical pressure, but simulaneously kept their sticks down to clutter the passing lanes, they'd force a lot more turnovers and increase their scoring chances.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

It may sound minor, but I'd like to see the coaches get the players to use their sticks more when pressing the forecheck. They've done an ok job on the forecheck this season, but too often they focus on putting physical pressure and ignoring the passing lanes. Often they'll come in and their sticks aren't even on the ice. If they kept up the same physical pressure, but simulaneously kept their sticks down to clutter the passing lanes, they'd force a lot more turnovers and increase their scoring chances.
    Posted by red75

That's interesting Red because I was thinking the exact opposite about some of the players(Thorton,Paille,Ryder,etc.).We have guys like Bergeron and Marchand that have good enough speed and smarts to bear down on a player and then use his body and stick to take away the passing lane.The other guys I mentioned need to forget the puck and play the body on the forecheck but too often are happy to turn away from a guy while waving their stick.I won't care if Thornton and Paille don't score again this year if they finish the check on every opportunity.Ryder,I know it won't happen but you can see the obvious improvement in his game when he bodychecks rather than stick-checking.Too many guys are trying to pick off passes Bergeron-style and they simply aren't good enough to be effective at it.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Well, I'm glad you asked this question. Everyone says they need a puck moving defenseman. (get in line).

What they really need is this.

1. Consistent secondary scoring. Too many nights it seems Shawn Thornton is getting the best chances ( a credit to his play this year, and probably a credit to the play of Campbell)
    2. Horton needs to get hot. he is getting his chances and I am confident they will start going in and going in at the best time.
    3. The Power play. Boychuk and Seidenberg need to be better here. the forwards need to be moving alot more, they are way to stationary and predictable.
    4. Julien needs to loosen the reigns a bit and if he does Krejci and Seguin will be alot better off. This, in my opinion is crucial if this team is go far in the postseason.
    5. For Juliens defensive system it seems like to me at least Tim Thomas has to make several highlight saves a night, i don't read too much into shots against but it's the quality of scoring chances that concerns me. These are killers in the postseason, and quite frankly its not fair to assume Thomas can keep up this pace for the rest of the year, nor should he have to. Basically if your giving up that many chances , you should at least be getting your share down the other end.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

Rask needs his confidence back, he is a topnotch goalie with good numbers but no wins. He is not playing his positionally correct standup type tending, that he displayed right 2nd round last year, not sure exactly where he lost it but he did.
    TT keep on being TNT.

The D has been pinching more and when they do good things have come of it, Cj needs to allow some more when we have the lead, when he does we fill the net. Also allow the D to take the body at the line when the opportunity is there, which is a ton more than it actually happens. Stuart needs to play but if he doesn`t leave Ference with McQ and Z with Kampf, they are the 2 weakest on D and need the most help in their own end.

Forwards quit the stupid passing where ther e is no pass, take the puck to the net, yes the dirty area, rather than peripheral wristers that anyones grandmother could stop.  Shoot, Hit, Score and give us a few dustups, protect your mates, and oh yeah shoot hit score.

Cj get out of the kitty by the barn door tactics, it is always a recipe for disaster. Stop playing your own zone in a box when you are not shorthanded, I hate watching the opposition D wideopen and our forwards rushing at them when they get the pucks. Work on the freakin PP. Sit Thorn and Pail and bring up Sauve and Caron. Play your star players more, keep the 4th liners off the first line. Fix the freakin PP. Comeup with a better entrance than dump and chase or dump and change, and oh yeah fix the freakin PP.

We have a good team, Cj can actually coach, just wish he would more often. The Bruins state is in good order, just need to be consistantly good, can`t in em all but it would be nice.

Cj last night in middle of 2nd period, seen him scratching his head and then like a light came on he started smiling almost like he was chuckling, I believe he got the joke someone told him at breakfast, oh well, we have him for the rest of the year.

A lot of the rest of the year comes down to the state of Sav more than anything.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

I think the team looks very good.  To say we should add players isn't all that realistic unless Savard is done for the season, because we don't have the cap space.  I really don't think we have any major weak points.  It would be hard to be even better than they already are.  They would be higher in the standings if not for Krecji getting injured and Savard not playing well.  If DK gets back to the top of his game and Seguin can step up a bit in the second half and/or Savard comes back healthy, they will be as good as anyone.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Trytobearit, sorry but I didnot hang around yesterday, so let's start with I was 40 in 1972, and started as an avid Bruins fan during the 19 40s, although I went to my first game in 1937 with my Aunt who was an avid sports fan. I believe that the CUP evolves from lots of skill plus a large dollop of luck as in having a "Halak" type run in the playoffs, and zero injuries. I've also coached in mites, best time to teach skating, thru Travel teams and Midgets. I am solidly in favor of "chemistry" between linemates as we now see with Bergeron's line, and two years ago with Kreji/Wheeler/Ryder. A coach has to work at it and remain flexible, but, shuffling lines constantly leads to inconsistent play. As far as the Bruins PP, I would favor sticking with existing lines that continue to move and skate rather than moving individuals, forming an umbrella and standing still. The ultimate target is the CUP, but I enjoy the way a team, in my case the bruins, builds toward that objective.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

Trytobearit, sorry but I didnot hang around yesterday, so let's start with I was 40 in 1972, and started as an avid Bruins fan during the 19 40s, although I went to my first game in 1937 with my Aunt who was an avid sports fan. I believe that the CUP evolves from lots of skill plus a large dollop of luck as in having a "Halak" type run in the playoffs, and zero injuries. I've also coached in mites, best time to teach skating, thru Travel teams and Midgets. I am solidly in favor of "chemistry" between linemates as we now see with Bergeron's line, and two years ago with Kreji/Wheeler/Ryder. A coach has to work at it and remain flexible, but, shuffling lines constantly leads to inconsistent play. As far as the Bruins PP, I would favor sticking with existing lines that continue to move and skate rather than moving individuals, forming an umbrella and standing still. The ultimate target is the CUP, but I enjoy the way a team, in my case the bruins, builds toward that objective.
    Posted by bogie6

I suspected you were a veteran Bruins fan, and I must say I'm extremely jealous--not just b/c you got to fully enjoy the 1970 and 1972 Cup wins as an adult but b/c you've seen this team through decades, changing over time, and seeing some of the game's best players as a result! You must have seen Rocket Richard torch the B's in his prime; you've seen the emergency of the greatest player ever from his inception to Cup; you've seen Willie O'Ree break the color barrier and make history via the Bruins. You saw those early 70's teams change the very culture of hockey in Boston.

Truly awesome stuff.

Glad to hear you're still involved in the game and loving it for its best qualities. I admit it's harder for me to appreciate it on that level....just ONE Stanley Cup for the Bruins before I'm too old to follow the puck and I'll completely change my tune.

As for what this team could do better, I would like to see the front office make a move to replace Ryder or Wheeler w/someone--anyone--even if talent-wise they aren't far better. I think the team needs a shakeup, esp. w/Savard out--most likely for the rest of the year--and the pattern I don't like over the past 3-4 years is going into playoffs hoping that players like DK, Horton, Wheeler, etc, can just magically start playing up to their potential and hoping a goalie wins the Cup. It COULD happen but it's not likely.

They also need another PMD to complement Kampfer, but again--who and how?

Positives: Marchand, Bergeron (my current favorite Bruins), obviously Thomas, Chara, a sound defensive (if boring) system, and I do believe that Lucic and Horton are extremely talented players who CAN and perhaps WILL be the goal scorers the B's need them to be to be successful.

I've just seen too many disappointments since I really started understanding and following the game and team in the late 1970's. One of my earliest memories is Montreal Game 7 1979. Ouch.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

My old friend KPD sent me a note 4 weeks ago when I queried his take on Claude. he indicated that we might well be faced with dump and chase for the year. Well maybe Neely's critique, or the "discussion " with Chiarelli, but Claude has been visibly more proactive in the last few weeks, and the on ice product has been more enjoyable. I still feel that Kreji 's current line needs time to jell, and that Hamill would provide the best alternative for replacing Savard asnd leaving the rest of the team as is. Managing both the cap and payroll are two major challenges for Chiarelli. I ve liked most of what he has done since he jettisoned Lewis, and believe he will replace Claude when Claude's contract runs out. It would be hard if Claude won the cup, but that's one reason I do not think the B's are all the way there yet. Chiarelli 's filling the pipeline, adding draft picks, and melding Kamfer, Marchand, Mcquaid are all positive signs. Claude, and his staff do not seem to know how to maximize Seguin, and the kid is obviously thinking too much. let's see how chia handles Savard. Inserting Hamill fills a void with a kid who has always been smart if not too big, and it would send a strong message to Savard that he is not being replaced. Good for all the players to recognize.

Sections
Shortcuts