Given that Ference will not be back, the mix under contract are as follows:

Chara

Seidenberg

Boychuk

McQuaid

Krug

Bartkowski

Hamilton

7 d-men in the Top Tier, with AHLers; Warsofsky & Trotman in the pipeline, maybe include Chudinov.

I conclude, and others have debated this, that the only off-side d-man option is Seidenberg on right-side, how might the pairs shape up for next season?

Thinking that leaves the B's with 3 right-side d-men and 3 left-side d-men, with Seidenberg as the swing. 

Seems like even with Ference's departure, the B's could consider trading away another d-man to free up a spot for Hamilton, Krug or Bartkowski.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

Re: State of the B's D-Men: 2013-14

I would guess that Bart is the 7th dman if the season started tomorrow.  Top 6 consist of 3 righties and 3 lefties.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

In response to hangnail's comment:

I would guess that Bart is the 7th dman if the season started tomorrow.  Top 6 consist of 3 righties and 3 lefties.

Thinking they need to make a call on the Chara-Seidenberg pair.  If that is the top pair for the playoffs, seems like it should set up that way in the regular season.  Assuming Seidenberg is right-side, then there are only 2 other right-side slots for Boychuk, McQuaid & Hamilton.  And if Seidenberg is right-side, then either Krug or Bartkowski is a top-4.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I don't think it will be very stable.  I think you'll have nominal pairings of Chara, Seidenberg and Boychuk with whoever the other three are - Hamilton, Krug and McQuaid in no particular order, with, yes, Bartkowski as the 7th D. 

Situationally, you'll see Chara and Seidenberg, Chara and Boychuk etc., with Krug and Hamilton getting a chunk of PP minutes.  I would guess one of them is PP1 and the other PP2.

The D will require more coaching next year than they have in a long time.

Are you not entertained?!?!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

In response to Crowls2424's comment:

Thinking they need to make a call on the Chara-Seidenberg pair.  If that is the top pair for the playoffs, seems like it should set up that way in the regular season.  Assuming Seidenberg is right-side, then there are only 2 other right-side slots for Boychuk, McQuaid & Hamilton.  And if Seidenberg is right-side, then either Krug or Bartkowski is a top-4.

Maybe CJ splits up Chara and Seids and moves Seids back to the left..Chara/Hamilton; Seids/Boychuk; Krug/McQ...lots of decisions to be made for sure

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

What about Redden ?  Should they retain him for depth ? I thought he actually played well in the playoff games he played in. I think he could come cheap.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Seidenberg is a UFA next summer. Will he get an extension during the winter ? or does PC wait to see how he plays first ?

Let the kids play then pick up a veteran in March for the playoffs.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Would prefer to see all the young guys playas speed is essential in today's NHL. That scenario would imply that Seidenberg play right side.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

I see Bartkowsi,Krug and hamilton in the top 6. Perhaps a deal involving McQuaid and Peverley to free up room for Horton under the cap.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mattc355. Show mattc355's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:

I see Bartkowsi,Krug and hamilton in the top 6. Perhaps a deal involving McQuaid and Peverley to free up room for Horton under the cap.

Krug and Hamilton for sure.  Bartkowski is borderline for me.  I could see McQuaid being the odd man out of the lineup, but his salary is so low, you don't gain much by trading him.  We need more on the left side.  I don't mind the idea of bringing Redden back.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Canadianfan6. Show Canadianfan6's posts

In response to Crowls2424's comment:Looks real good maybe the best in the NHL!

Given that Ference will not be back, the mix under contract are as follows:

Chara

Seidenberg

Boychuk

McQuaid

Krug

Bartkowski

Hamilton

7 d-men in the Top Tier, with AHLers; Warsofsky & Trotman in the pipeline, maybe include Chudinov.

I conclude, and others have debated this, that the only off-side d-man option is Seidenberg on right-side, how might the pairs shape up for next season?

Thinking that leaves the B's with 3 right-side d-men and 3 left-side d-men, with Seidenberg as the swing. 

Seems like even with Ference's departure, the B's could consider trading away another d-man to free up a spot for Hamilton, Krug or Bartkowski.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from days-of-Orr. Show days-of-Orr's posts

[QUOTE]

Maybe CJ splits up Chara and Seids and moves Seids back to the left..Chara/Hamilton; Seids/Boychuk; Krug/McQ...lots of decisions to be made for sure

[/QUOTE]

totally agree, i like these pairings....  maybe flip Boychuk with Hamilton....

need to split up Z & Seids in order to keep them fresh....  also time to show a little faith in your other d-men against other teams top players....

Hamilton needs to play top four mins. next year....

another way to save wear and tear on Z would be to cut back on his pp time especially since he refuses to use that howitzer of his....

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosbruins2011cup. Show bosbruins2011cup's posts

In response to days-of-Orr's comment:

totally agree, i like these pairings....  maybe flip Boychuk with Hamilton....

need to split up Z & Seids in order to keep them fresh....  also time to show a little faith in your other d-men against other teams top players....

Hamilton needs to play top four mins. next year....

another way to save wear and tear on Z would be to cut back on his pp time especially since he refuses to use that howitzer of his....

Totaly agreee with you there I love Z but I would be fine with him not being on the power play at all any more. I wonder if the only reason they have kept him on it is they don't want to hurt his pride?