Step Up

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

Step Up

Only 1 loss.  Great game to watch, wasn't totally upset when OT goal was scored, kind of expected it as the bounces just seemed to be going the Hawks way, it happens.

With Horton's injury, we all know that Seguin has to step up his game big time!  However, when will Chris Kelly step up his game?  He has struggled all season and many on BDC said just wait, he starts off slow all the time, he's a vet, a big game player, blah, blah, blah!  He has been the Bruins worst player!  He is a team worst minus - 9, with no points in 17 playoff games.  Is being good on draws and as a penalty killer enough?  Or is it time to insert someone else for a game?  If the 3rd & 4th lines don't step it up and start to contribute, or at the very least play even, it will be very tough to win this series.  Never thought that I would say this, but boy do they miss Campbell.  Furthermore, when a game is 3 OT's and a healthy player has only 9:55 of ice time, why is that player dressed?  I love #22, but if the coach has that little confidence in him, he should not be in uniform.  I know there are reasons why Caron, Spooner, Pandolfo, Soderberg, and whoever else are in street clothes, but would Claude have had the confidence to have one of them on the ice in the 3rd OT?  NO panic here, just think that Claude might be wise to mix up the bottom 2 lines for game 2.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

Re: Step Up

What changes will Claude make, assuming Horton is out for a while...Soderberg?

Does Claude also look to make other changes in his roster, like:

• Replace Krug with Redden?  Costly mistake by the kid last night, he may want the veteran presence now.
    • Replace Daugevins with Caron? Daugevins missed a golden chance and didn't even get a shot off...trying to do too much. Not sure if Caron would bring anything better though.

I am not advocating for either move, just wondering whether Claude might want to tweak things a bit?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I wouldn't make too many changes.  The Bruins had just won 9 out of 10 playoff games, and then lost by the smallest of margins possible to a very good Hawks team.  1/16 of an inch on that post and we'd be talking about how they continue to pull it out.  

Krug made a mistake for sure and it ended up in the net, but I still thought he played quite well on the balance.  He seems like he can be difference maker too.  A few times he carried the puck through the neutral zone and it seemed to force the Hawks to really scramble on defense.  I'd stick with Krug.

I'm assuming Horton is out, so either Soderberg or Caron needs to fill in.  So be it.

No need to over-react here.  They can't win them all.  Stick with the plan.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from huntbri. Show huntbri's posts

I agree that you don't want to over-react to one loss but I think they do need to add some new blood to shake things up a little.  Obviously Kelly, Peverly and Seguin have done some good things as the Bruins have been winning.   Still offensively I am not sure what happened to Kelly and Peverly.  They seem to have no clue. I don't expect them to score goals or get points in bunches but I expected them to score a few goals each. The same with Seguin but he is at least creating chances and has beena little snakebitten.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:

I wouldn't make too many changes.  The Bruins had just won 9 out of 10 playoff games, and then lost by the smallest of margins possible to a very good Hawks team.  1/16 of an inch on that post and we'd be talking about how they continue to pull it out.  

Krug made a mistake for sure and it ended up in the net, but I still thought he played quite well on the balance.  He seems like he can be difference maker too.  A few times he carried the puck through the neutral zone and it seemed to force the Hawks to really scramble on defense.  I'd stick with Krug.

I'm assuming Horton is out, so either Soderberg or Caron needs to fill in.  So be it.

No need to over-react here.  They can't win them all.  Stick with the plan.

I hear you Fletch, but the B's won 8 of those 10 with Campbell and Horton in the lineup.  Now that Soupy isn't centering the 4th line, the balance isn't there.  Claude is shortening his bench because of it, obviously has very little confidence in ST, and I am becoming more and more ticked off with Kelly.  Claude benched Peverly for a game, it might be time to do the same with Kelly.  Even before Horton got injured, I thought the 3rd & 4th were getting drastically outplayed by Chicago's 3rd & 4th.  I understand that it is the finals, but sometimes tough decisions need to be made.  Quenville was juggling all night it seemed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to huntbri's comment:

I agree that you don't want to over-react to one loss but I think they do need to add some new blood to shake things up a little.  Obviously Kelly, Peverly and Seguin have done some good things as the Bruins have been winning.   Still offensively I am not sure what happened to Kelly and Peverly.  They seem to have no clue. I don't expect them to score goals or get points in bunches but I expected them to score a few goals each. The same with Seguin but he is at least creating chances and has beena little snakebitten.

Shaking things up after a 4-3 triple OT loss is over reacting to one loss! The B's can be better, but the hawks got 2 lucky breaks. They don't get the 1st break this series is 1-0 B's. There will be a shakeup if Horton is out. But, you don't shake anything up now, just because of one loss. If it was a 6-2 blow out maybe the thought could/should be there, but losing a game like this isn't a reason to "shake things up a little".

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:

[/QUOTE]

Shaking things up after a 4-3 triple OT loss is over reacting to one loss! The B's can be better, but the hawks got 2 lucky breaks. They don't get the 1st break this series is 1-0 B's. There will be a shakeup if Horton is out. But, you don't shake anything up now, just because of one loss. If it was a 6-2 blow out maybe the thought could/should be there, but losing a game like this isn't a reason to "shake things up a little".

[/QUOTE]

Shake things up not because of loss.  Shake things up because Kelly has been the worst Bruin all season.  He has gotten worse in the playoffs.  Shake things up, because Claude has shown twice already that he has no confidence in #22.  With Campbell out of the lineup, the bottom 2 lines have not been effective, even in the wins!  This series will be close throughout, and the B's will NEED 4 lines to contribute.  It's not an over-reaction to one loss, it's a reaction to injuries, poor play, and a different team/series.  The Bruins could have won last night and I would still be saying the same things about the bottom 6.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

But who is better than Kelly?  We don't have any star players in the press box.  I would be very surprised if Caron or Soderberg could suddenly step in and play better than Chris Kelly in all areas of the ice.  Those two aren't centers either, and we already lost Campbell.  You need Kelly in there.  Right?  

What's the better option here?  I say you keep the system in place and hopefully you get a better game out of Kelly.  That seems much less risky than throwing in a new guy, shuffling positions to accomodate that (Seguin would have to center the 3rd line I think).  Caron and Soderberg seem likely to fill in for Horton on the wing anyhow.  No need to pull a 3rd veteran out of the lineup and then try to fill a hole at center.  Missing Campbell and Horton is enough of a disruption.  Keep Kelly where he is.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

In response to MeanE's comment:

Shake things up not because of loss.  Shake things up because Kelly has been the worst Bruin all season.  He has gotten worse in the playoffs.  Shake things up, because Claude has shown twice already that he has no confidence in #22.  With Campbell out of the lineup, the bottom 2 lines have not been effective, even in the wins!  This series will be close throughout, and the B's will NEED 4 lines to contribute.  It's not an over-reaction to one loss, it's a reaction to injuries, poor play, and a different team/series.  The Bruins could have won last night and I would still be saying the same things about the bottom 6.

MeanE, there is no way in H-E-Double-Hockey-Sticks that Claude removes Kelly from the line-up, unless he gets hurt also...he is also being used on occasion as a backup center on faceoffs. Thornton is always a possibility but I don't foresee him being ousted either.

Like others have said, they can not panic at this point based on a 3OT loss which could have gone the either way.

The only reason I would imagine Julien replacing Krug would be specifically to bring in a more experienced D-man like Redden...I would not expect him to replace Krug with Bartkowski at this point, the kid does have some decent offensive skills that are still helpful.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

But who is better than Kelly?  We don't have any star players in the press box.  I would be very surprised if Caron or Soderberg could suddenly step in and play better than Chris Kelly in all areas of the ice.  Those two aren't centers either, and we already lost Campbell.  You need Kelly in there.  Right?  

What's the better option here?  I say you keep the system in place and hopefully you get a better game out of Kelly.  That seems much less risky than throwing in a new guy, shuffling positions to accomodate that (Seguin would have to center the 3rd line I think).  Caron and Soderberg seem likely to fill in for Horton on the wing anyhow.  No need to pull a 3rd veteran out of the lineup and then try to fill a hole at center.  Missing Campbell and Horton is enough of a disruption.  Keep Kelly where he is.

I may be crazy, but I would give Pandawful a shot right now to replace Kelly.  He might not be better, but can he be any worse right now?  He blocks shots, he is good on the PK, he is a veteran, can handle his own in the dot.  Kelly has been brutal.  I know it won't happen, and I am just frustrated with #23.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I may be crazy, but I would give Pandawful a shot right now to replace Kelly.  He might not be better, but can he be any worse right now?  He blocks shots, he is good on the PK, he is a veteran, can handle his own in the dot.  Kelly has been brutal.  I know it won't happen, and I am just frustrated with #23.

[/QUOTE]

I agree with that ^ ;)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from watchtower. Show watchtower's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]
    Agreed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from watchtower. Show watchtower's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I agree with that ^ ;)

[/QUOTE]
    What about the face-off circle?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from huntbri. Show huntbri's posts

Step Up

I don't care who steps up - Seguin, Kelly, Peverly, Soderberg or someone else you might not expect but in my opinion someone needs to.  It is not about panic or criticism.  It is about facts and the facts are that they are now playing a team that is playing as well as they are.  That means they will probably need some additional contributions to put them over the top.  So far they have relied on 6 guys for offense as well as some key goals by Krug, Boychuk and McQuaid.  In my opinion they will need some of the so far offensively challenged forwards to make some key contributions in order to beat a very good Hawks team.  In 3 rounds Segs, Pevs and Kelly have 2 goals.  My bet is that if they can contribute 3 or 4 goals in this series to supplement what Krejci, Horton (hopefully) ,Lucic, Bergeron and Marchand will certainly continue to bring, the Bruins will once again be Stanley Cup Champions.  That is not asking a lot.

Here are the links to the stats from the 2011 and 2013 and you can clearly see the Bruins got more balanced scoring in 2011.  I realize they have gotten to the Finals so might say who cares but again I think they need a little more balanced offense in this match-up to get er done.

http://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/BOS/2011.html#skaters_playoffs::none

http://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/BOS/2013.html#skaters_playoffs::none

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I know you would've because your a whiney little bia tch who's never satisfied unless you have something to complain about! Pandolpho in OVER KELLY! The Hawks are loaded with speed you dolt! You think Pandolpho can come in after being out this long & have an impact against the Hawks team that is playing on all cyclinders!? Your hockey knowledge is NIL, Ziltch ZERO!!! 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

I don't care who steps up - Seguin, Kelly, Peverly, Soderberg or someone else you might not expect but in my opinion someone needs to.  It is not about panic or criticism.  It is about facts and the facts are that they are now playing a team that is playing as well as they are.  That means they will probably need some additional contributions to put them over the top.  So far they have relied on 6 guys for offense as well as some key goals by Krug, Boychuk and McQuaid.  In my opinion they will need some of the so far offensively challenged forwards to make some key contributions in order to beat a very good Hawks team.  In 3 rounds Segs, Pevs and Kelly have 2 goals.  My bet is that if they can contribute 3 or 4 goals in this series to supplement what Krejci, Horton (hopefully) ,Lucic, Bergeron and Marchand will certainly continue to bring, the Bruins will once again be Stanley Cup Champions.  That is not asking a lot.

Here are the links to the stats from the 2011 and 2013 and you can clearly see the Bruins got more balanced scoring in 2011.  I realize they have gotten to the Finals so might say who cares but again I think they need a little more balanced offense in this match-up to get er done.

http://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/BOS/2011.html#skaters_playoffs::none

http://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/BOS/2013.html#skaters_playoffs::none

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from huntbri. Show huntbri's posts

I get where you are coming from NOB.  Yes the Bruins have played well and are in the Stanley Cup Finals and they simply lost one hockey game in OT that they just as easily could have won.  They are 9-2 in the last 11 so everyone needs to relax.  I get all that.  I also have watched hockey long enough to recognize things fairly quickly.  The Bruins played pretty well last night. I think they can play a little better but I don't think it was like some of the games against the leafs where they played terrible for long stretches at a time or even like the game they lost against the Rangers where it took huge gaffs from our best players and even then the game went to OT. 

Yes there were a couple of mistakes that led to goals last night and the Hawks got the bounces and the Bruins didn't however you could also plainly see that the Hawks have 4 lines that can all play a little.  Bottom line is that our big guys outscored their big guys 7 points to 2 points and when that happens the Bruins usually win, however their 3rd and 4th lines outscored our 3rd and 4th line guys 6 points to 1 point.  That can't continue to happen.  The Bruins will need to get the defensive effort they brought against the Pens or if that is harder to do against Chicago because they have a more balanced offense then they will need some scoring from their bottom 6 forwards (especially the 3rd line).

If they win the Cup without a few key goals from their bottom 6 (I will include Seguin in that as well no matter what line he is on) I owe you a beer.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

I get where you are coming from NOB.  Yes the Bruins have played well and are in the Stanley Cup Finals and they simply lost one hockey game in OT that they just as easily could have won.  They are 9-2 in the last 11 so everyone needs to relax.  I get all that.  I also have watched hockey long enough to recognize things fairly quickly.  The Bruins played pretty well last night. I think they can play a little better but I don't think it was like some of the games against the leafs where they played terrible for long stretches at a time or even like the game they lost against the Rangers where it took huge gaffs from our best players and even then the game went to OT. 

Yes there were a couple of mistakes that led to goals last night and the Hawks got the bounces and the Bruins didn't however you could also plainly see that the Hawks have 4 lines that can all play a little.  Bottom line is that our big guys outscored their big guys 7 points to 2 points and when that happens the Bruins usually win, however their 3rd and 4th lines outscored our 3rd and 4th line guys 6 points to 1 point.  That can't continue to happen.  The Bruins will need to get the defensive effort they brought against the Pens or if that is harder to do against Chicago because they have a more balanced offense then they will need some scoring from their bottom 6 forwards (especially the 3rd line).

If they win the Cup without a few key goals from their bottom 6 (I will include Seguin in that as well no matter what line he is on) I owe you a beer.

Don't bother huntbri, you don't know what you are talking about.  Take some meds for your panic disorder, yada,yada,yada.  It's the same old story with some on this board.  Even if their are clear stats to back up your observations, you have no idea what you are talking about.  I'm with you in that I don't care who chips in on the 3rd & 4th, they just need it to be somebody.  I'll admit that what is waiting in the wings for forwards doesn't look pretty, but with what Kelly has provided, and Claude's lack of faith in ST, why not mix things up down there now, so that you don't have to press the panic button later.  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

I know you would've because your a whiney little bia tch who's never satisfied unless you have something to complain about! Pandolpho in OVER KELLY! The Hawks are loaded with speed you dolt! You think Pandolpho can come in after being out this long & have an impact against the Hawks team that is playing on all cyclinders!? Your hockey knowledge is NIL, Ziltch ZERO!!! 

[/QUOTE]

NOB - you are the biggest f luck in puss e on BDC.  I am not complaining about anything.  I simply want to see the Bruins utilize different players in place of drastically underperforming players you knob!  I was very satisfied with an incredible game to watch last night.  Why is a line up change a panic?  Was Quenville panicking when he put Bollig in the line up?  Was he panicking when he switched his lines during the game?  Is Kelly's "speed" helping him?  Just because the Bruins made it to the finals with no production from him, and others in the bottom six, has no bearing on whether they can win vs. the Blackhawks.  Claude is shortening his bench regardless.  He is going to ask only 10 minutes out of the bottom 3 from here on out most likely.  Kelly's only plus right now is pk and pandawful can provide that just as well.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

I agree with that ^ ;)

[/QUOTE]

My wife does as well.  However, it might be even crazier to keep rolling Kelly out on the ice each game.  His awful play has been masked by the strong goal output of the D throughout these playoffs.  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from huntbri. Show huntbri's posts

It looks like Horton will miss at least a game so we will see who comes in and what they add to the mix.  I do agree however if Horton was not going to be out that I would make at least one change to the mix in the bottom 6 to give someone else a shot.

Look how Krug invigorated the Bruins when he first game in.  Bartkowski played pretty well also and Hamilton was pretty solid too.  Look what Seguin did when he first came into the line-up in the 2011 playoffs.  Sometimes guys who come in bring a fresh edge that leads to results.  It doesn't always mean that someone is playing really poorly.  Sometimes you just need some new blood for a game or two.  Remember Thornton sat out a few games in 2011 and then when he came back in game 3 of the Finals he was a key for invigorating the Bruins game.

With the injuries Boston has now it may all be a moot point because they do not have a lot of additional bodies to play with.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

It looks like Horton will miss at least a game so we will see who comes in and what they add to the mix.  I do agree however if Horton was not going to be out that I would make at least one change to the mix in the bottom 6 to give someone else a shot.

Look how Krug invigorated the Bruins when he first game in.  Bartkowski played pretty well also and Hamilton was pretty solid too.  Look what Seguin did when he first came into the line-up in the 2011 playoffs.  Sometimes guys who come in bring a fresh edge that leads to results.  It doesn't always mean that someone is playing really poorly.  Sometimes you just need some new blood for a game or two.  Remember Thornton sat out a few games in 2011 and then when he came back in game 3 of the Finals he was a key for invigorating the Bruins game.

With the injuries Boston has now it may all be a moot point because they do not have a lot of additional bodies to play with.

Please stop.  None of what you say makes any sense.  You know nothing about hockey.  Your just a complainer.  LOL  You continue to make very valid points while others simply name call.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from huntbri. Show huntbri's posts

Thanks man.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

Ya know what hunt; this is a fantastic post & I would agree with you IF the tying goal & OT winner weren't lucky bounces for the Hawks. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

NOB - you are the biggest f luck in puss e on BDC.  I am not complaining about anything.  I simply want to see the Bruins utilize different players in place of drastically underperforming players you knob!  I was very satisfied with an incredible game to watch last night.  Why is a line up change a panic?  Was Quenville panicking when he put Bollig in the line up?  Was he panicking when he switched his lines during the game?  Is Kelly's "speed" helping him?  Just because the Bruins made it to the finals with no production from him, and others in the bottom six, has no bearing on whether they can win vs. the Blackhawks.  Claude is shortening his bench regardless.  He is going to ask only 10 minutes out of the bottom 3 from here on out most likely.  Kelly's only plus right now is pk and pandawful can provide that just as well.

[/QUOTE]
    You're not complaining about Kelly's play? And it's "biggest fawking pussi" 

Sections
Shortcuts