Still not sure how to react to the first 2 games...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

Still not sure how to react to the first 2 games...

I continue to believe the Canucks are a far better team.  They have much, much better scoring, deeper defense, and better goaltending.  To be honest, I kinda expected to get blown out of games 1 and 2.

What happened?  The Bruins simply played the games they wanted to play.  They actually controlled play most of both games.  Everyone is throwing a fit over Ference's turnover or Chara's coverage on the OT goal, but the fact is the Bruins have held this high-octane offense to a grand total of 3 goals in regulation.  They were 0-0 with a minute left in game one and leading by a goal in Game 2.  Who wouldn't have loved that idea beforehand?

People are screaming about not playing well in the third periods.  Hello, they lost each third period 1-0!  This is horrible?  The most powerful offense in the NHL at home in the SCF outscored them 1-0 in the third and this is poor play?  I dont see it.

Luongo has been solid but relatively untested.  Still, he hasnt given up any game-changers.  Thomas, well, we are getting what we always do... incredible circus saves and in the case of Game 2, softies and bad OT goals, usually in the same game.  The problem there is when he has his great game (Game 1) we HAVE to win that one. Didn't.  Game 1 was pretty much Game 7 against Tampa, with the other team scoring instead. Need to win the games Thomas picks to play well in, as with Tampa.

All in all, the B's just arent getting run out of the building, but they could still get swept at this rate.  Can they play better at home?  They rarely do, but they did against Tampa.

It is of course unfortunate that Burrows figured in on 3 goals after unfairly dodging suspension.  And with the Lapierre antics and NBC going along with the joke before Game 1, its pretty obvious who is supposed to win this series. Still, I did not expect to come away from this series having less respect for Vancouver.  This is surprising.  I always thought they were a pretty classy outfit, but clearly from their behavior I was wrong.

Sure would like to see the B's make a series of it, though.  Ill be there Game 4; maybe Ill see a Cup awarded.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

Re: Still not sure how to react to the first 2 games...

PS, Emerick and Company's snarky comments, especially in the second period, are getting old.  Love to see the Bruins get an attitude about the NHL, NBC and Vs' obvious bias for Vancouver and get angry.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

How can Luongo be better and yet be untested?

Canucks have been better in every facet of the game except goaltending.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

Very frustrating that the Bruins have basically wasted two very well played games by making a single (or in last night's case, multiple concurrent) mistakes that lead to the winning goals.  It makes it seem like the Bruins will have to be 100 % perfect to get a win, rather than just 98%, and that's tough to do.

I guess tomorrow we will find out if match-ups have been important so far.  Maybe Chara won't need to be on the ice for almost 30 minutes.

That it was Burrows was salt in the wound.  Best to forget that angle.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from FanfromGWN. Show FanfromGWN's posts

The Bruins were down 0-2 in the first series against an inferior opponent; Van is better in areas then Mtl was but not much - the Bruins will rebound. Van's strength's coming in havn't materialized - PP, the Sedin's & Kesler only have 1 goal so far, their defence is weaker without Hamhead and Luongo when pressured like the Hawks did, will look very average - let's hope the Bruins start parking some big bodies in front consistently. Another bonus - don't the refs change for the next two games?

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

In Response to Re: Still not sure how to react to the first 2 games...:
    How can Luongo be better and yet be untested? Canucks have been better in every facet of the game except goaltending.
    Posted by kelvana33

What did you expect? A thread started by IMANIDIOT & him not have some derogatory remark against TT? Comon' Kel.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In Response to Still not sure how to react to the first 2 games...:
    I continue to believe the Canucks are a far better team.  They have much, much better scoring, deeper defense, and better goaltending.  To be honest, I kinda expected to get blown out of games 1 and 2. What happened?  The Bruins simply played the games they wanted to play.  They actually controlled play most of both games.  Everyone is throwing a fit over Ference's turnover or Chara's coverage on the OT goal, but the fact is the Bruins have held this high-octane offense to a grand total of 3 goals in regulation.  They were 0-0 with a minute left in game one and leading by a goal in Game 2.  Who wouldn't have loved that idea beforehand? People are screaming about not playing well in the third periods.  Hello, they lost each third period 1-0!  This is horrible?  The most powerful offense in the NHL at home in the SCF outscored them 1-0 in the third and this is poor play?  I dont see it. Luongo has been solid but relatively untested.  Still, he hasnt given up any game-changers.  Thomas, well, we are getting what we always do... incredible circus saves and in the case of Game 2, softies and bad OT goals, usually in the same game.  The problem there is when he has his great game (Game 1) we HAVE to win that one. Didn't.  Game 1 was pretty much Game 7 against Tampa, with the other team scoring instead. Need to win the games Thomas picks to play well in, as with Tampa. All in all, the B's just arent getting run out of the building, but they could still get swept at this rate.  Can they play better at home?  They rarely do, but they did against Tampa. It is of course unfortunate that Burrows figured in on 3 goals after unfairly dodging suspension.  And with the Lapierre antics and NBC going along with the joke before Game 1, its pretty obvious who is supposed to win this series. Still, I did not expect to come away from this series having less respect for Vancouver.  This is surprising.  I always thought they were a pretty classy outfit, but clearly from their behavior I was wrong. Sure would like to see the B's make a series of it, though.  Ill be there Game 4; maybe Ill see a Cup awarded.
    Posted by SoxFanInIL

The Bruins have more than shown they belong in the same stratosphere as this team in which it is difficult to find a weakness.  It's the Boston errors that have proven costly against the league's top regular season club but that's what serious Cup contenders do; make the opposition pay for their errors.

Games 1 and 2 have seen the Bruins hit more consistently than in some of their earlier playoff contests and it's my hope their physicality starts to take its toll on the Canucks as the games continue. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

To be honest:
    Game 1: Very sloppy by both teams.  Each team controlled the play when 5 on 5.  No clear cut advantage.  I think the refs ruined the flow.  Which in fact may have been to our advantage.  Neither team played great.  We outshot and outhit them.   1-0 could have gone either way.  Lots to build on.

Game 2: Slow start and then we really did take control and had a 2-1 lead with 10 minutes left.  One bad shift is all they needed and its tied.  14 seconds and numerous brainfarts and we are down 2-0. 

I thought they would have one blow out type win 5-2 type score.

Scarey thing is we really have contained the Gazoo's even though Burrows went off last night but lets not crown him b/c his two goals werent the greatest even though their result is the same. 

Biggest thing I knew coming in was that Van would hit hit and continue to hit and play up tempo hockey and force our dmen.  I didnt think we would look as bad and have no physical eliment.  I thought this was where we could match them.  It really hasnt happened.  Their hitters and pests are doing it every shift.  Ours are not.  Horton/Lucic/Marchand/Campy are not playing in your face hockey. 

We need a big 1st period.  My fear is we fall asleep at the wheel like we tend to do at home.  IF that happens we are in serious trouble.
    I still think we win game 3.  Thats all I care about now.  Its our season.  I see Lucic is crying for fans to be loud.  Well its time for him to be loud on the ice.  He has been terrible.  Zero effort, zero hits, zero emotional play.  The one shift he goes to the net and he scores.  He has to stop trying to be Milan Gretzky.  I think his ego and 30 goals have gone to his head.  He has how many since March?   He doesnt have the skill to be a playmaker.  Dump and bump and go hard to the net. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SteveM. Show SteveM's posts

So let's see where we stand on Thursday morning. Hopefully we are looking at a 2 out of 3 series with one must win up North.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

How can Luongo be better and yet be untested? Canucks have been better in every facet of the game except goaltending.
    Posted by kelvana33

Simple. I said "solid but relatively untested."  That means he's made the saves he's been expected to make, but has not been particularly pushed.

I think the assumption here is to try to say the edge in goaltending goes to the guy who plays "exceptional." I think in this case, where the guy who has been "solid but relatively untested" (and is 2-0) is better than the guy who "made great saves in both games, but gave up 2 bad goals in an OT loss."

Goalies shouldn't be required to make circus saves to be the better goalie. Not giving up bad goals can be just as important, especially in a Stanley Cup Final, as we saw last game.

I understand how some people might disagree.

38, glad you could come by.  I would have felt bad if you didn't stalk me again and start the name calling.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

Very frustrating that the Bruins have basically wasted two very well played games by making a single (or in last night's case, multiple concurrent) mistakes that lead to the winning goals.  It makes it seem like the Bruins will have to be 100 %   perfect to get a win, rather than just 98%, and that's tough to do. I guess tomorrow we will find out if match-ups have been important so far.  Maybe Chara won't need to be on the ice for almost 30 minutes. That it was Burrows was salt in the wound.  Best to forget that angle.
    Posted by DrCC

Have to agree with all of this, which essentially is the point of my thread.  Two very well played games, defense giving up 1 and 2 regulation goals and they dont win either?  Its horribly frustrating, but how do you come back from that?

And your point is well taken on the 98 vs 100%... how many teams really have to play 100% mistake-free to win?  Before thiose games many of us were worried about giving up 4-5 goals a game, but the B's put the clamps down and limited the goals against.  A team should be able to overcome giving up an occasional turnover or goaltender's soft goal.  Its not like they are doing it 4 times a game.  Geez, most goals in most hockey games are the result of a mistake.  But those 2 games FELT like they had to play perfect.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from djbosox2004. Show djbosox2004's posts

This is one of the best threads of the year.You guys know alot more about hockey than I do and that`s why I come here.I just read and interject every now and then(unless I jab at a troll).
        Nothing but good opinions and hockey talk.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

This is one of the best threads of the year.You guys know alot more about hockey than I do and that`s why I come here.I just read and interject every now and then(unless I jab at a troll).     Nothing but good opinions and hockey talk.                
    Posted by djbosox2004

Yeah just hoping for some analysis, regardless of which player or team is criticized  without all the emotion and frustration (I have it too, I couldnt breathe after that last loss. Throwing things helps). Getting that here for the most part.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

Some thoughts from the west coast...

In Gm 1, I thought the Canucks were the more dangerous team, even though they were outshot. I thought that they had more odd-man rushes, more clear chances on net, but Thomas played great, and kept the game scoreless almost to OT.

In Gm 2, I thought the Bruins played much better, and the chances were much more even.  I thought the Bruins controlled most of the 2nd, but the Canucks played better in the 3rd.  Unfortunately for the Bruins, TT didn't play as well as he did in Gm 1. 

If you had the Bruin skaters of Gm 2 + TT of Gm 1, then the Bruins would likely win.

On the other hand, I think that the Canucks used the "Manny factor" to their advantage on Saturday -- but more important, I think he will become more of a factor as the series goes on, and he gets his game timing back.  It's amazing to me that a guy who's been off as long as he has, and with an eye injury, could go 6 of 7 on faceoffs in his first game back. 

I expect a full out effort by the Bruins on Monday -- I expect Horton to finally make an appearance in the series.  However, if the Canucks can weather the initial storm, and be either tied or down by only 1 after 2, then I think the Canucks will win game 3. The Bruins only chance is to jump all over the Canucks early, and get up by 2 or 3 goals.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from CafardoSaysTradeBrady. Show CafardoSaysTradeBrady's posts

Very frustrating that the Bruins have basically wasted two very well played games by making a single (or in last night's case, multiple concurrent) mistakes that lead to the winning goals.  It makes it seem like the Bruins will have to be 100 %   perfect to get a win, rather than just 98%, and that's tough to do. I guess tomorrow we will find out if match-ups have been important so far.  Maybe Chara won't need to be on the ice for almost 30 minutes. That it was Burrows was salt in the wound.  Best to forget that angle.
    Posted by DrCC

The definition of "margin of error" victories/losses. 

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Billy-Chapel. Show Billy-Chapel's posts

Some thoughts from the west coast... In Gm 1, I thought the Canucks were the more dangerous team, even though they were outshot. I thought that they had more odd-man rushes, more clear chances on net, but Thomas played great, and kept the game scoreless almost to OT. In Gm 2, I thought the Bruins played much better, and the chances were much more even.  I thought the Bruins controlled most of the 2nd, but the Canucks played better in the 3rd.  Unfortunately for the Bruins, TT didn't play as well as he did in Gm 1.  If you had the Bruin skaters of Gm 2 + TT of Gm 1, then the Bruins would likely win. On the other hand, I think that the Canucks used the "Manny factor" to their advantage on Saturday -- but more important, I think he will become more of a factor as the series goes on, and he gets his game timing back.  It's amazing to me that a guy who's been off as long as he has, and with an eye injury, could go 6 of 7 on faceoffs in his first game back.  I expect a full out effort by the Bruins on Monday -- I expect Horton to finally make an appearance in the series.  However, if the Canucks can weather the initial storm, and be either tied or down by only 1 after 2, then I think the Canucks will win game 3. The Bruins only chance is to jump all over the Canucks early, and get up by 2 or 3 goals.
    Posted by 49-North

Even though Id love to see the Bruins get out to a 2 or 3 goal lead, it doesnt always mean it will hold, as we have seen.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

In Response to Re: Still not sure how to react to the first 2 games... : I am still trying to figure out why there is a bias.  You know when they show a bias to a non-hockey market like TB, there is a problem. 
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing

Me too.  It would seem that if there was a bias (especially in the TB series) it would be FOR the Original 6 team with the huge ratings rather than a Florida team that won a Cup not that long ago. That one didnt make sense.

But that power play stuff in the second period when Emrick was just being obnoxious, then says, "sorry New Englanders, just reading the information."  Then they score on the PP and he says, "The Bruins are 1 for their last 1 power plays" in dripping sarcasm.  Really?

I understand highlighting the flashy, offensive President's Trophy winning team.  They are full of stars and deserve it... but the disrespect they show the Bruins is puzzling to me.  I don't see where it helps the broadcast.

21. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts