Subban, Hamilton shine

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Re: Subban, Hamilton shine

Haha, good to see all the sympathy for my wasted trip to Halifax! Of course it wasn't really wasted, some great hockey was played.

Some observations: Ryan Murphy was the best player on the ice.  Very high end skill. Mark Scheifele also looked a class above, I don't know if he had any points but he was clearly the strongest forward for either team. The Canadian goaltending was terrible, Makarov was great. I was right behind the net and the Russian angled shooters perfectly, forcing far-side blocker shots and deflected them to the corners with ease. After the first 10 minutes the Canadians were clearly the superior team, with the main difference being in net.  Hudon (a Habs pick) was a big surprise for me. I had never heard of him before, but he has excellent skill. Reminded me a little of a Krejci-type. Could be a steal of a pick for the Canadiens.

While I didn't get to see the Bruins play in person, I did watch them last night on TV. Every time I see Subban I am more impressed. I think he's a special player. No question that he is currently the best Canada has to offer at the junior level.  Hamilton, too, looked very good. Great stick work and a touch of nasty. I think he could be dominant next to Chara...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In Response to Re: Subban, Hamilton shine:
    [QUOTE]Haha, good to see all the sympathy for my wasted trip to Halifax! Of course it wasn't really wasted, some great hockey was played. Some observations: Ryan Murphy was the best player on the ice.  Very high end skill. Mark Scheifele also looked a class above, I don't know if he had any points but he was clearly the strongest forward for either team. The Canadian goaltending was terrible, Makarov was great. I was right behind the net and the Russian angled shooters perfectly, forcing far-side blocker shots and deflected them to the corners with ease. After the first 10 minutes the Canadians were clearly the superior team, with the main difference being in net.  Hudon (a Habs pick) was a big surprise for me. I had never heard of him before, but he has excellent skill. Reminded me a little of a Krejci-type. Could be a steal of a pick for the Canadiens. While I didn't get to see the Bruins play in person, I did watch them last night on TV. Every time I see Subban I am more impressed. I think he's a special player. No question that he is currently the best Canada has to offer at the junior level.  Hamilton, too, looked very good. Great stick work and a touch of nasty. I think he could be dominant next to Chara...
    Posted by OatesCam[/QUOTE]

Yes Hudon did look good but the kid is only 5'8. 
    Subban the 1st 2 periods looked like he was fighting the puck.  1st Russian goal not sure if it went off of Hamilton'd stick and then between the legs. If not looked weak.
    Subban did his job and some. In the latter stages of the 2nd after Canada took the lead , then in the 3rd closed the door to win the game. 
    I prefer a 5-4 game were a goalie makes the important saves when the game is on the line over a 2-0 SO with 20 saves.
    Scheifele comes across a very talented player but in this tournament either he was snake bitten or he has trouble finishing.  I could see him setting up Kane in Winnipeg this season.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Subban, Hamilton shine:[QUOTE] Hamilton, too, looked very good. Great stick work and a touch of nasty. I think he could be dominant next to Chara...Posted by OatesCam[/QUOTE]

OC - Some posters were saying Hamilton runs around a bit in his own end and isn't positionly sound as they would like to see him. My feeling is Julien and Sweeney will straighten this out rather quickly.

So you would say Hamilton looked allot better defensively than the previous games ?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

I think he's looking measurably better than last year's world juniors, that's for sure. He is still not especially efficient with his positioning, but I think his coverage of his target is strong. And he has a Chara-like knack for firing out the poke-check.

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Subban, Hamilton shine : OC - Some posters were saying Hamilton runs around a bit in his own end and isn't positionly sound as they would like to see him. My feeling is Julien and Sweeney will straighten this out rather quickly. So you would say Hamilton looked allot better defensively than the previous games ?
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

I don't care too much about how tall Hudon is because his game won't be a physical one anyway. He reminded me a bit of Krejci, nice puck skills and didn't mind taking hits from the bigger players. Scheifele, yeah, I don't know how much he actually scored but his game was awesome. He looked strong, fast, skilled, and - most importantly - seemed to be thinking the game at a higher level than everyone but Ryan Murphy.

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Subban, Hamilton shine : Yes Hudon did look good but the kid is only 5'8.  Subban the 1st 2 periods looked like he was fighting the puck.  1st Russian goal not sure if it went off of Hamilton'd stick and then between the legs. If not looked weak. Subban did his job and some. In the latter stages of the 2nd after Canada took the lead , then in the 3rd closed the door to win the game.  I prefer a 5-4 game were a goalie makes the important saves when the game is on the line over a 2-0 SO with 20 saves. Scheifele comes across a very talented player but in this tournament either he was snake bitten or he has trouble finishing.  I could see him setting up Kane in Winnipeg this season.
    Posted by BsLegion[/QUOTE]

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

It's extremely likely that Doug Hamilton will lose more games for the Bruins this year than he helps them win.  We won't really know how well his game fits the CJ scheme until he gets the chance to play, but the Bruin D is more than the sum of its parts because, well, this is Sparta.  Every guy does his job and is covered in a designed and predictable way by the rest of the unit, and so in every situation the player has the freedom to be as creative as he wants as long as he's doing his job.

Everything I've seen suggests Hamilton is the kind of player whose instincts are to be active - pursue the play, pressure the man, jump into the hole, join the rush.  He's going to have to temper that instinct significantly in Boston, and it won't be a smooth process, especially if he's also trying to show the game that led him to so much junior success.  Doug's man is going to score a few tap ins that win close games - probably more often than Hamilton steps into the high slot on the PP and roofs a hard, accurate wrister.

I'm not trying to be a negative Nancy here, but I hate the pattern where people build up a kid to be the king of the world and then want to trade him for Cheez Whiz by January.