Subban

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

Subban

Would you accept, welcome, or dislike it if Subban came here to play with his brother at some future date?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

Re: Subban

Depends who they have to give up to get him.  He's a great player.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Bruins fans would love him if he played here.  Also think he would tone down the nonsense.

The racist social media stuff by some is not representative of the majority of Bruins fans.  Complete idiots.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=451046

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from OrrandPapiRGods. Show OrrandPapiRGods's posts

Hate,! The thought of possibly no longer being a Bruins fan  crossed my mind. First time that's ever happened. 
    The reasons are many but the 'not answering the bell' issue and that he generally ambushes smaller guys when he does fight are reasons at the top of my list. The diving,  and extreme showboating, and the non fit to the Bruins culture would be secondary reasons.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Not a big fan of the way he plays, but would probably get over it if he helped us win (Marchand style).

The social media thing is such a red herring.  I actually wish the Bruins and Bruins fans would stop apologizing for it.  We didn't do it.  The team didn't do it.

You got us, media.  One or two of our million-plus fans are idiot racists with computers.  Let's not give them more attention than they deserve.  We can't control all opinions in a major city, even very stupid, offensive ones.  We can't control access to Twitter either.  Apologizing for it links us to it.

It's a shame.  Anonymous people can be jerks.

Carry on.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Not a big fan of the way he plays, but would probably get over it if he helped us win (Marchand style).

The social media thing is such a red herring.  I actually wish the Bruins and Bruins fans would stop apologizing for it.  We didn't do it.  The team didn't do it.

You got us, media.  One or two of our million-plus fans are idiot racists with computers.  Let's not give them more attention than they deserve.  We can't control all opinions in a major city, even very stupid, offensive ones.  We can't control access to Twitter either.  Apologizing for it links us to it.

Carry on.

[/QUOTE]
    Good post Fletch...I can picture a guy sitting in Caesar's Palace holding a losing ticket after PK's goal and unleashing his frustration on Twitter.  You're right, the B's shouldn't even have acknowledged it.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from days-of-Orr. Show days-of-Orr's posts

[QUOTE]

Carry on.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

BINGO!

reporting on racist remarks from irrelevant people is just as idiotic....  media just gave these morons their 15 mins. of fame....  i'm sure they weren't expecting to get this much attention....

as for Subbban, i'd take him on my team anyday....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from days-of-Orr. Show days-of-Orr's posts

In response to hangnail's comment:
    [/QUOTE]

Good post Fletch...I can picture a guy sitting in Caesar's Palace holding a losing ticket after PK's goal and unleashing his frustration on Twitter.  You're right, the B's shouldn't even have acknowledged it.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

agree B'S shouldn't have acknowledged it, for all we know these could be Penguins' fans or even sHabs fans just trying to give added incentive to beat the B'S....

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

[QUOTE]

Carry on.

[/QUOTE]

fletch- don't think anyone is apologizing for it, but the B's management, players and fans are right to condemn it.  Not the 1st time this topic has made the news, see Joel Ward.

Agree with you, always a few knuckleheads in every crowd, not just ours. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallydouglas. Show wallydouglas's posts

As far as subban goes no i dont like m and his showboating, its called disrespect to the other team or players. Just like i dont like some of marchands antics such as the pointing to the ring finger in that loss to the canucks, This is sports, sports are suppose to be about fun,competness and most of all respect, neother of these 2 players show 2 out of the 3.
    My opinion only counts when I am right

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

I really don't think it's Neely's job (or anyone else in the organization) to monitor the Twitterverse.  That's really what this is all about.  People are going to tweet whatever they want whenever they want, even if it's offensive. Just ignore these fools and they will go away.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

First, I'd be pumped if the B's got him as long as his nancyboy routine didn't come as well.

More importantly, I just did a quick twitter search after hearing that 17,000 tweets contained Subban and N.

What did I find?  The first ones clicked on were from a guy in Montreal, a guy in Finland and a guy in Toronto.  Attributing them all to Bostonians as absurd as the idea itself.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Agree with all of you here. Because some idiots are getting racist with Subban it's being connected with Bruins fans..This of course makes a great story with what happened to Joel Ward and the fact that it's a hot topic issue in sports these days. Those people are not Bruin fans.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Oh, and to answer the question of the thread, of course I would want Subban on my team, who would not. I've been a fan of his since his junior days, Shupe and myself have always liked his game. I don't mind the antics, makes the rivalry that much better.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Every fan base has a sizable amount of morons (see Vancouver 2011) but in terms of the overall fan base numbers, it's a marginal number at best. I was bugged tonight (by good friends so it was completely meant in jest) by saying to me "So you're a racist, eh?" Actual hockey fans understand there are issues that could be had with the way Subban plays the game (ditto for Marchand or Burrows or Bishop or Brown or Lapierre or Kesler or Ribeiro or or or etc.)  The idiocy that kept on getting re-tweeted deserved to be smacked down. But does it reflect Bruins fans? No more than Sterling's comments reflect the opinion of Clippers fans, meaning not at all.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Oh, and would I be happy if PK was a Bruin? Hell yeah, but let him have a good talking to by Bergeron, Iginla and Chara before he actually skates in a game. Maybe Marchand(and lately Lucic) can sit in on the same meeting.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

He's already had an impact on this series. Clearly a good player... I'd offer Thornton and Caron.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

His questionable on-ice stuff aside, Subban's a dominant player with preeminent skills. I'd have no problem seeing him as a Bruin. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

I don't care for the way he plays at all.  But then again, I would have said that about Brad Park, and every Montreal Canadien who ever lived.

And the Neely "statement" thing... really bugs me.  Why all this corporate dancing.  I bet well over 99.9% of the population already assumes the Bruins don't support racism.

Racists don't mind be called racists, and they love all this indignation.  What they don't like....is being dismissed as pathetic, stupid, ignorant losers.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sobchack. Show Sobchack's posts

I don't know if he fits the Bruins mold like a Chara or Seidenberg, but the guy can put points on the board.  Lots of 'em.

The new media is now 24/7, ubiquitous and pervasive in more aspects of our lives than ever.  It feeds on every "story" it can find to survive.  No more sifting through what's "news" and what isn't.  ANything to raise an eyebrow is enough.  

These tweets were detestable, but here is when McLuhan proves so scarily accurate: "the medium is the message."  Just a small percentage of racist 'tweets' and you understand the power of the medium itself - a "tweet," a thing that didn't exist 8 years ago.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from UncleAlad. Show UncleAlad's posts

The media itself is racist here for even reporting this overhyped BS in the first place and playing loose with the facts in order to spur ratings, page hits, and ad revenue. The Bruins shouldn't even have acknowledged it.  There are morons in every fan base, and highlighting their actions just encourages them to continue.

As for Subban, yes he's talented but like others I dislike the way he plays he game, same as I do for Marchand.  I suppose if he changed his act I would accept him. I say trade Marchand for Subban and watch what happens then.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

I didn't bother to read any of the tweets, so I don't know exactly what was said.  I assume these "fans" don't even realize that Iginla is also Black because he has lighter skin and you can't really tell when watching the game on TV.  They don't know Iginla is Black because they are not Bruins fans.

As far as wanting Subban on the Bruins, I say no.  I don't think he's coachable.  He would drive CJ bonkers.  He has all the talent in the world, but I find he is not a smart player.  He tried (and missed) to deliver big hits a few times in game one that directly led to scoring chances for the B's.  I think he was a healthy scratch at the Olympics because he is not a good system player.  The Bruins are all about the system and I think he would not be a fit.

***Follow Fluto on twitter.  He's awesome.***

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

No way.  And not because he's a hab. I don't want him because:

- He doesn't play tough.  He throws reckless hits when players are vulnerable, but not otherwise.  He flops like crazy.  Yeah, sure, Marchand acted like his (wrong) knee was broken when Smith hit him, but you don't see him flopping after every contact and looking at the ref with puppy dog eyes. I HATE how Subban does that.

- He's not a team player.  When Montreal lost to Ottawa last year, they all turned on each other.  At the heart of that was Subban.  There was actual video of him berating his teammates and them flipping out at him.  He's a cancer on a team, and not worth it despite his talent.  If the Bruins get the Habs on the ropes, I expect another implosion.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In response to stevegm's comment:

I don't care for the way he plays at all.  But then again, I would have said that about Brad Park, and every Montreal Canadien who ever lived.

And the Neely "statement" thing... really bugs me.  Why all this corporate dancing.  I bet well over 99.9% of the population already assumes the Bruins don't support racism.

Racists don't mind be called racists, and they love all this indignation.  What they don't like....is being dismissed as pathetic, stupid, ignorant losers.

Well said, steve. I always enjoy reading your stuff. I think people from all walks of life who are inclined to this kind of thinking probably do rub themselves with pant-tent inducing glee seeing their ignorance posted.

I'm a black man and to be honest I didn't have this kind of thing in the forefront of my mind entering this series but I admit I did, quietly wonder if someone, somewhere would go down that road. That some brainless dummies took the initiative to post their mental dung is more disappointing to me than surprising. I'm no less frustrated about it though. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to RichHillOntario's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to stevegm's comment:

Well said, steve. I always enjoy reading your stuff. I think people from all walks of life who are inclined to this kind of thinking probably do rub themselves with pant-tent inducing glee seeing their ignorance posted.

I'm a black man and to be honest I didn't have this kind of thing in the forefront of my mind entering this series but I admit I did, quietly wonder if someone, somewhere would go down that road. That some brainless dummies took the initiative to post their mental dung is more disappointing to me than surprising. I'm no less frustrated about it though. 

[/QUOTE]

We don't even know if they were even "fans." Could just be racist trolls looking for trouble. Either way, it looks bad for the organization, the city, and hockey. In a place that made history with O'Ree no less. Best to move on...

Sections
Shortcuts