Summer rankings: Boston Bruins top 15 prospects

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Summer rankings: Boston Bruins top 15 prospects

http://hockeyjournal.com/blog/kirks/Summer_rankings-_Boston_Bruins_top_15_prospects

"Ryan Spooner and Malcolm Subban still occupy positions at the top of the organizational depth chart, but they are vying for positions of clear strength on the NHL roster. In Spooner’s case, he’ll need a great training camp to convince GM Peter Chiarelli to perhaps move someone else out to find a spot for the 21-year-old and his team-friendly $875,000 cap hit. Subban has a long developmental path ahead of him as he enters his first professional season ticketed for the AHL, but with Tuukka Rask’s new long-term deal in place, he’ll have to be patient and bide his time as Boston works him into the mix.

Joe Morrow, Matt Fraser, and Reilly Smith all slot into the B’s top-10 for now given their natural upside and productivity at the AHL level for Fraser and Smith. 2013 third-round selection Peter Cehlarik opened eyes at development camp for his quick stick and offensive presence, though his skating needs a lot of work. The Slovak left winger’s potential lands him at ninth overall, ahead of second-rounder Linus Arnesson, who is more of a safe, steady defenseman than one who has the top-end talent and productive two-way game to put him into the top-10."

Not profiled in the summer top-15

Matt Bartkowski, D

Jordan Caron, RW

Dougie Hamilton, D

Torey Krug, D

O'Gara with quick ascension towards the top.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

Re: Summer rankings: Boston Bruins top 15 prospects

Any chance you kept the list from last summer? Curious to see who moved up/down.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

In response to asmaha's comment:

Any chance you kept the list from last summer? Curious to see who moved up/down.

I think this is it:

http://hockeyjournal.com/blog/kirks/2011-12_Boston_Bruins_prospects_roundup

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Hmmm three of the top 7 are from the Dallas trade. That definitely restocked the prospects.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Cassidy, Sweeney and Tom Fitzgerald on Grzelcyk

“He’s a guy that just separates himself with his footspeed,” said Providence Bruins coach Bruce Cassidy, who ran the practices along with B’s assistant general manager Don Sweeney. “He gets up the ice and makes plays. You’re going to have to do that when you’re a smaller defenseman; that has to be part of your job description. He can do it. And the more he does it on a regular basis, the better off he’ll be in the end.”

Ex-Bruins forward Tom Fitzgerald, now a Pittsburgh Penguins player development official but on hand as a dad with his son, Ryan, a B’s draftee taking part in camp, understands why critics talk about Grzelcyk’s size. But he chooses to talk about the 18-year-old’s impressive skill-set.

“There’s an old saying that I think is totally true,” said Fitzgerald. “Bigger guys have to prove that they can’t play; smaller guys have to prove that they can. Grizzie probably has his doubters.

“But you know what? You can look at his size, or lack of size, or you can look at him as a good hockey player. He skates well with the puck, he’s smart, he’s a high hockey-sense kind of guy. He’s a player forwards want to play with, because he’s going to get the puck out of your end and get it up the ice with speed. He’s a really good transitional defenseman.”

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Where's Zach Trotman...?  I thought he had a good AHL year, which would seem to be more impressive than some others who aren't AHL ready yet.

No Carter Camper?!  I'm surprised that Jared Knight continues to be viewed as a better prospect than Camper or Cunningham.

On that note, no Warsofsky, no Colby Cohen, no Tommy Cross...are NCAA defensmen falling out of favor (Yes, I know about Krug/Barto).  I have already emailed BDC about disabling Bookboy's account before he can respond to this...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

wow, bart missed the cut last year. talk about taking a big step forward. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Trotman is as brittle (2 concussions in the last year in a half) as ol friend Rico Sauve and maybe Jared Knight. You can differ from Ludeke if you want Fletch, I agree Cunningham and Camper are further up the trough than Knight right now.

KoKo couldn't even knock neither out of Providence's top six last spring.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Anyone know if there's been an update on the NHL prospects rankings lately? With the recent changes, I'd be curious to see where the Bruins rank overall - trhe most recent is the spring edition and a lot has changed in the system since then.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

You and a few others are why I visit the site to read.  Many thanks. 

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

http://hockeyjournal.com/blog/kirks/Summer_rankings-_Boston_Bruins_top_15_prospects

"Ryan Spooner and Malcolm Subban still occupy positions at the top of the organizational depth chart, but they are vying for positions of clear strength on the NHL roster. In Spooner’s case, he’ll need a great training camp to convince GM Peter Chiarelli to perhaps move someone else out to find a spot for the 21-year-old and his team-friendly $875,000 cap hit. Subban has a long developmental path ahead of him as he enters his first professional season ticketed for the AHL, but with Tuukka Rask’s new long-term deal in place, he’ll have to be patient and bide his time as Boston works him into the mix.

Joe Morrow, Matt Fraser, and Reilly Smith all slot into the B’s top-10 for now given their natural upside and productivity at the AHL level for Fraser and Smith. 2013 third-round selection Peter Cehlarik opened eyes at development camp for his quick stick and offensive presence, though his skating needs a lot of work. The Slovak left winger’s potential lands him at ninth overall, ahead of second-rounder Linus Arnesson, who is more of a safe, steady defenseman than one who has the top-end talent and productive two-way game to put him into the top-10."

Not profiled in the summer top-15

Matt Bartkowski, D

Jordan Caron, RW

Dougie Hamilton, D

Torey Krug, D

O'Gara with quick ascension towards the top.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Trotman is as brittle (2 concussions in the last year in a half) as ol friend Rico Sauve and maybe Jared Knight. You can differ from Ludeke if you want Fletch, I agree Cunningham and Camper are further up the trough than Knight right now.

KoKo couldn't even knock neither out of Providence's top six last spring.

Interesting, I didn't know that about Trotman. 

I like Luedeke a lot and I'm sure he knows a lot more about the prospects than I do.  I just think he tends to favor the newest, youngest prospects sometimes.  Some of those guys may have a higher ceiling for potential someday, but most of them will likely never be an AHL all-star, like Camper.

I like Ryan Fitzgerald and I liked the pick.  But should an undersized guy who has never even played an NCAA game be above a proven AHL scorer and NHL callup like Camper, who's only played two years as a pro himself?

I get bored with AHL all-stars who've "topped out" too (St. Pierre, Lehtonen, Whitfield), but Camper is still pretty young and didn't look out of place in his short NHL test.  I'd say he's a top 15 prospect in the system, until he shows that he's peaked right where he is.

Brad Marchand played well over 100 AHL games with similar stats to Camper, but then he just kept getting better and thrived when he got his (2nd) NHL shot.  Camper might do that too (unlikely, I know).  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to red75's comment:

Anyone know if there's been an update on the NHL prospects rankings lately? With the recent changes, I'd be curious to see where the Bruins rank overall - trhe most recent is the spring edition and a lot has changed in the system since then.

http://www.hockeyprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=1553

From July 8th, not shocked by the ranking. Maybe PC read it as well...

@Fletch - It's going to be tough for Cunningham and Camper, it's hard to break in with Boston anyways. Remember the only reason we saw Bartkowski and Krug is because they forced Juliens hand because of injury.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

@Fletch - It's going to be tough for Cunningham and Camper, it's hard to break in with Boston anyways. Remember the only reason we saw Bartkowski and Krug is because they forced Juliens hand because of injury.

I agree.  I just think it is hard to say they aren't prospects anymore.  It was hard for Marchand to make it too.  I think it is more likely that Camper becomes a Bruin regular than Ryan Fitzgerald, but you never know.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Ranking the Boston Bruins Top Ten Prospects  

July 15th, 2013 at 2:42 PM 
    By Tim ODonnell

photo credit: slidingsideways via photopin cc

For the last few days, Peter Chiarelli and his staff have been watching prospects go through drills and learning what it's like to be a professional. With the prospects soon to be heading home before training camp, let's take a look at how Bruins 101 ranks the top-ten Bruins prospects.

1. Ryan Spooner – Spooner impressed during his first professional season last year and should be in the competition for a spot on the third line. In 59 regular season games with the Providence Bruins, the 21-year old scored 17 goals and 57 points. His 40 assists and 57 points both lead all AHL rookies. Spooner did make an appearance in Boston, playing in four games but never finding the scoresheet. At this point, it's only a matter of time before he gets a spot in Boston. It just might be this year.

2. Malcolm Subban – Subban is just 19-year old and is expected to start his first professional season with the Providence Bruins this season. The 2012 first round pick was impressive last season with the Belleville Bulls, going 29-11-4 with a 2.14 goals against average and a .934 save percentage. There were thoughts that Subban might be a trading chip after Tuukka Rask signed a long term deal, but that's highly unlikely. Subban needs a couple years in Providence to continue to develop before there's a chance of him playing in Boston.

3. Niklas Svedberg – Svedberg was pretty much unheard of before last season. Signed as an undrafted free agent, Svedberg burst on the scene in Providence and took away the starting goaltender job from Michael Hutchinson. In 48 games, Svedberg was 37-8-2 with a 2.17 goals against average and a .925 save percentage. Despite the signing of Chad Johnson, Svedberg has a chance to be Rask's backup this season. He just has to prove he can handle it during training camp.

4. Alexander Khokhachev – Last season Khokhlachev tried to play in the KHL but struggled mightily before returning to the Windosr Spitfires of the OHL Once there, he rediscovered his offensive game that made him the Bruins second round pick in 2011. In 29 games with Windsor, Khokhlachev scored 22 goals and 48 games before signing with the Bruins and being sent to Providence. In 11 games with Providence, the 19-year old scored just one goal and three points. A full year in Providence would certainly help Khokhlachev improve and possibly compete for a job in Boston in a few seasons.

5. Joe Morrow – Morrow is one of the players acquired in the Tyler Seguin deal. He is a former first round pick and has tons of potential, especially on the offensive side The problem is he has yet to realize that potential in the AHL. He had just 15 points in 57 games with the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins and four points in nine games with the Texas Stars. Hopefully the Bruins defensive minded system can help Morrow put his game together and give the Bruins another young, talented defenseman.

Anthony Camara - This season will be Camara's first as a pro. And he will instantly become a fan favorite. He fits the Bruins mold perfectly. He is a big, strong player who isn't afraid of the physical side of the game. But he has a lot of growing up to do. He has a habit of getting into trouble on the ice and being suspended for it. If he can figure out how to continue to play his style without crossing the line then he could be a good player in the Bruins system. Unfortunately that's a big if at this point.

7. Matt Fraser – Fraser is another player who came over in the Seguin deal and can compete for a spot on the third line. He has proven he can score in the AHL (70 goals in the last two seasons) but hasn't been able to find the back of the net in the NHL. In 12 games with the Dallas Stars last season, Fraser scored just one goal and three points. If he can figure out how to score in the NHL, he can give the third line some offensive punch.

8. Seth Griffith – Like many others on this list, Griffith is about to begin his first professional season and will most likely spend all of it in Providence. He was a prolific scorer with the London Knights of the OHL, recording back-to-back 80-plus points seasons. He also has some learning to do in Providence and if he can put it together, he can be a solid NHL player.

photo credit: sarah_connors via photopin cc

9. Jared Knight - Knight was once high on the prospects list before last season. A hamstring injury limited him to just 10 games in Providence and two games in the ECHL. He had just one goal and three points in those 10 games. He needs to stay healthy this season and produce if he wants a shot at playing in Boston soon. 

10. Reilly Smith – Smith may be the forgotten piece of the Seguin deal but may be the one player (aside from Loui Eriksson) that sees any consistent playing time in Boston. Smith has tremendous offensive upside, scoring 14 goals and 35 points in 45 games with the Texas Stars last season. Out of the three prospects who came with Eriksson, Smith has seen the most NHLaction, playing in 37 games last season.  Unfortunately he wasn't able to carry the offensive production from the AHL, scring just three goals and nine points. He has a real shot of beginning the season on the Bruins third line.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

They are a solid batch of prospects, perhaps the deepest group Boston has had in years.  And there is strength at every position, which is nice.  I see Smith or Fraser sticking in Boston this year as the 3rd line RW.  I really think Smith is the guy.  If he can show some finish, that 3rd line could look real good.  Spooner looked excellent in his time in the NHL - it's too bad Kelly has a no-trade.  I wonder if he could play RW?  Seth Griffith is the most exciting prospect to me.  He will probably amount to nothing, but if he does make it, he'll make it big as a high-end scorer.  That would be amazing.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

He could have played Aaron Johnson.  He didn't.  Injury isn't the only reason; depth chart is.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:

On that note, no Warsofsky, no Colby Cohen, no Tommy Cross...are NCAA defensmen falling out of favor (Yes, I know about Krug/Barto).  I have already emailed BDC about disabling Bookboy's account before he can respond to this...

What, you're expecting me to gloat?  Who do you think I am?  Some basement-scented Kessel-hound?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Good thoughts and no trolls . Thanks for the comments

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Thanks San - I thought they may have moved up a bit after the Dallas trade.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Kirk Luedeke ‏@kluedeke29 3h

Guys who just missed the top-15: Zach Trotman, Carter Camper, Craig Cunningham. Bruins system loaded with like players, middle tier guys

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

What, you're expecting me to gloat?  Who do you think I am?  Some basement-scented Kessel-hound?

I do like that description for some of our peers here.

I'm doubling down on NCAA D-men...

Matt Benning -- next star on the Bruins blueline.  Take it to the bank.  Stone cold lock.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

Thank you gentlemen !  This is great reads for a Bruin fan. Keep up the great banter. Your hockey and Bruin hockey passion comes out loud and clear here. Once again, thankyou.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I agree.  I just think it is hard to say they aren't prospects anymore.  It was hard for Marchand to make it too.  I think it is more likely that Camper becomes a Bruin regular than Ryan Fitzgerald, but you never know.

Prospect article filter 101: the younger a guy is, the more prospect article writers will love him.  In prospect world, players come on the scene bearing comparisons to NHL players - usually wild and outlandish ones like MacKinnon currently carries because a) he as a #1 overall and b) he's from Crosby's home town.  MacKinnon could have a Calder winning season and finish with 40 fewer points than Crosby did as a rookie.  He could have a great career and never have Gatorade buy him a house.  But since you first heard his name, the story has been what's in the water in Coal Harbour because here comes the next Crosby. 

At 14, 15, 16 players come on the pro radar only when they are head and shoulders above their competition, and that gets people excited.  A kid might play in the same Nepean rink Yzerman did and break an Yzerman record for 13yr olds, and suddently that's the expectation: next Yzerman.  As they get older and progress, players prove they aren't the next Gretzky or Bourque.  In Junior, he goes from the third line to the first line at the same time as hormones add 20 lbs and 4" of height and suddenly there's a crazy upward spike that gets people salivating.  Ah, but then the more experience you have without winning a Calder or breaking Selanne's goals by a rookie record, the more of a disappointment you are in prospect world.  Every year, every game, brings you closer to being whatever you're going to become, and very, very few players stay ahead of that set of expectations.  Look at Seguin.  Three years into his NHL career and we have seen only the merest flashes of that Stamkos-like release leading to Stamkos like production.  Last year, it was "Taylor Hall - always injured.  Told ya."  Better yet, look at John McFarland.  Almost a point per game rookie in the OHL on a weak team.  People talked about how his skills were comparable to some of the great recent OHL grads - just waiting for him to break out.  Well, a couple of good but not great years and a rash of injuries and now he's can't crack Florida's AHL lineup.  Florida.

Apply this filter to Camper and Cunningham.  Camper was never drafted (strike against perceived potential).  In two AHL seasons, he hasn't shown that he's dominant against AHL competition.  10 goals last year.  Smaller player.  Cunningham - not drafted at 18 then picked in the 4th. Again, concensus on his potential is a strike.  Size is a strike.  Guys beat these strikes, but the percentage is very, very low.  And part of it is this perception of upper tier potential.  Do you think that Camper and Cunningham have the potential to keep improving if given NHL ice time?  A real shot?  They'll have to be better than they are now to have NHL careers, but can they be enough better that it's worth giving them 20 games or 40 to prove it? 'Cause if the answer in your gut in "no", you probably never see them on a list of top prospects.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Thanks San - I thought they may have moved up a bit after the Dallas trade. [/QUOTE]

No these three prospects took allot of thier spots. I still think PC raked it in with these three in the trade. Interesting that Ludeke keeps Knight up high with his injuries last season.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"Do you think that Camper and Cunningham have the potential to keep improving if given NHL ice time?  A real shot?  They'll have to be better than they are now to have NHL careers, but can they be enough better that it's worth giving them 20 games or 40 to prove it? 'Cause if the answer in your gut in "no", you probably never see them on a list of top prospects."

Cunningham, for a 4th rounder, has gone from 20 goals his 1st full year to 25 the next year in Providence. Marchand never topped 18 in the AHL but he got his shot. Having seen both in the AHL, I wouldn't say Marchand outperformed Cunningham in the least at the AHL level.

Back to...what is PC and Julien's AHL offensive output barometer ?

Sections
Shortcuts