Summer topics - wild ideas when the goalie is pulled.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Summer topics - wild ideas when the goalie is pulled.

Last 58 seconds of the game.  Goalie pulled. 2 things I've never seen.

1)  How often have you seen a breakaway in this situation?  Rather than just putting the puck into the empty net, why doesn't the player skate into the crease and stickhandle or just let the puck sit there until someone challenges him?  That way he burns more seconds off the clock before getting the empty net insurance goal.

2) I'm not sure if this is legal or not.  Inspired by world cup soccer.  If the other guys pull their goalie, can you stuff all 5 players and your goalie into the net effectively making a wall?  Maybe 3 (of your biggest) players might be able to form the wall and have the other 2 guys hang out 2 feet further away just to clear rebounds.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Re: Summer topics - wild ideas when the goalie is pulled.

In response to BadHabitude's comment:

Last 58 seconds of the game.  Goalie pulled. 2 things I've never seen.

1)  How often have you seen a breakaway in this situation?  Rather than just putting the puck into the empty net, why doesn't the player skate into the crease and stickhandle or just let the puck sit there until someone challenges him?  That way he burns more seconds off the clock before getting the empty net insurance goal.

2) I'm not sure if this is legal or not.  Inspired by world cup soccer.  If the other guys pull their goalie, can you stuff all 5 players and your goalie into the net effectively making a wall?  Maybe 3 (of your biggest) players might be able to form the wall and have the other 2 guys hang out 2 feet further away just to clear rebounds.

You don't see many break a ways in that situation. Right away I thought of the Edmonton game from a couple of years ago, I forget who they were playing but they had a break a way on an empty net, did some stickhandling and missed. Edmonton comes right down and scores to tie the game.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

You mean Patrik Stefan:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uI0CFWPxdss

In all is glory

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:

You mean Patrik Stefan:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uI0CFWPxdss" rel="nofollow">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uI0CFWPxdss

In all is glory

Thanks, I was too lazy to look it up..And back to pulling goalies, Roy kind of added a new wrinkle this year by pulling his goalie a lot earlier than coaches traditionally do.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

He really did didn't he? I was surprised at how many coaches copied that. I guess if it is a good idea then why not. When in Rome.....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[/QUOTE]

The Bruins are playing Nashville with a one goal lead. The Bruins call a timeout to use the "stuff the net" model for protecting the lead.

Shea Weber will be positioned for a one timer in the slot.

Julien asks ........any volunteers ? Everyone on the bench seems to be busy doing "other things".

After the game the Bruins announce callups from Providence.

P.S. A frozen puck hurts more then a soccer ball.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In response to Chowdahkid-'s comment:

The Bruins are playing Nashville with a one goal lead. The Bruins call a timeout to use the "stuff the net" model for protecting the lead.

Shea Weber will be positioned for a one timer in the slot.

Julien asks ........any volunteers ? Everyone on the bench seems to be busy doing "other things".

After the game the Bruins announce callups from Providence.

P.S. A frozen puck hurts more then a soccer ball.

I would do it.  Despite the pain.  You are already the agent for one person, why not me, too?   All you really need is a chest protector and a full face shield and cover the vitals with your hands just like soccer.  You could do it from the opening face off and force every game into a shoot out.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

I would do it.  Despite the pain.  You are already the agent for one person, why not me, too?  

[/QUOTE]

I will get on the horn to PC. 

How much do you weigh ? 

We will have to get you on a fat-filled diet to beef you up to the 300 lbs. range with most of your weight being concentrated in the belly-butt area.

Am I hired ?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In response to Chowdahkid-'s comment:

I would do it.  Despite the pain.  You are already the agent for one person, why not me, too?  

I will get on the horn to PC. 

How much do you weigh ? 

We will have to get you on a fat-filled diet to beef you up to the 300 lbs. range with most of your weight being concentrated in the belly-butt area.

Am I hired ?

Done deal!  I'm 235 now, down from my all time high in December of 260.  But since I've made a study of diet and nutrition I can easily gain or lose without counting calories!  My odds of being in the NHL in some manner as easily as good as Stanley's!

I think idea #1 is a good one, it is rare, but it could run out a fair amount of clock, especially since it would take a while for everyone to realize what was going on.  Probably after it was done once they would look for it and make sure to keep chasing.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I don't see a lot of situations where there is no one chasing except when it's pretty clear that an EN goal ends the game for all intents and purposes.  There's usually a guy no more than three or four strides behind, so if the guy with the puck intends to slow down or stop in the crease, figure half of that is eaten up, leaving maybe a second or two before he should stop being a smart arz and just take the ENG.

In addition to guys getting hurt playing goalie without goalie equipment, whether it's Weber or whoever blasting freely, I think you grossly underestimate the number of holes there would be for a puck to tumble through.  Ping, off a stick, ping off a leg, zip through a jersey under the arm.  The goalie would be useless because he'd see nothing - he'd have to just "make himself big" and hope the puck hits him if it gets through. Plus, the second I see them form a wall, I'm setting up three shooters - one head up, one at 45 degrees from the net on each side, and then I have two guys set up at the end of the wall on each side and establish position so those three guys can't re-orient to the different angles very easily.  After about five passes around that horn, I'll turn your wall into what I wanted in the first place: a massive pile of random traffic to screen the goalie.  There's also the shot pass option that goalie couldn't track.

The wall idea works better in soccer because they usually set it up so much farther away from the goalie and it's a full ten yards from the shooter.  And the shooter has to shoot from a particular spot - can't move it around and change the angles etc. It sometimes seems to take them 5 minutes to set up a free kick.  In 5 seconds, Chara to Bergeron to Chara to Bergeron to Krug to Chara to Bergeron to Soderberg....

This whole "pull the goalie early" thing will be one of those ideas with a short term life like the Wildcat formation in the NFL.  It was novel and teams hadn't really thought about what to do in that situation with 6 minutes left in a game, so it seemed like it was worth it because, for the most part, teams that pulled their goalies very early didn't suffer humiliating 10-2 defeats with 6 ENGs.  There seemed to be no more risk of an ENG with the goalie out for 5 minutes than 1 minute.  Next year, teams will have a plan to make Roy pay when he does this.  And here are the coaches in his division, who will have thought about it the most: Hitchcock, Quenneville, Maurice, Laviolette, Ruff, Yeo.  A.K.A Cup winner, 2 time Cup winner, Cup Finalist, Cup Winner, Cup Finalist, Mike.  I think that group will have some pretty good ideas of how to deal with Roy, and once one of them comes up with a poison pill for that situation, well...monkey see.

I think I'd put my fastest skater out high - really high - so that any time you get possession you can just rip it down the ice and make it a race.  Make it more like a penalty kill that way where you don't have to worry about icing.

Are you not entertained?!?!

• You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

I'm 235 now, down from my all time high in December of 260.  

How tall are you?

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

How tall are you?

As his agent, the perfect height in my contract negotiations for Badhab would be 4 foot tall..........the height of the net.

Of course, if he was taller ..........we could work on his butterfly.

haha 4", 235 pounds plus equipment=no net.....lol!

Nice!

• You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

How tall are you?

All of 5'8" so I'm reasonably close to the 4 feet.  What the heck does BB know anyway, I'll only be convinced it won't work if I see it done.  And to be honest I'd like to see it tried by the Habs first, vs. the Bruins with Chara trying to pound one in.

All of 5'8" so I'm reasonably close to the 4 feet.  What the heck does BB know anyway, I'll only be convinced it won't work if I see it done.  And to be honest I'd like to see it tried by the Habs first, vs. the Bruins with Chara trying to pound one in.

I'm 5"8' as well but only 180 pounds. Can't seem to get past that threshold no matter what I eat....and I do love food to an almost absurd level. I guess I would be quite useless for the soccer tactic, unless I stack on top of someone to protect the top of the net. That's not prohibited under NHL rules and regulations is it?

I'm 5"8' as well but only 180 pounds. Can't seem to get past that threshold no matter what I eat....and I do love food to an almost absurd level. I guess I would be quite useless for the soccer tactic, unless I stack on top of someone to protect the top of the net. That's not prohibited under NHL rules and regulations is it?

Even better!  Why didn't I think of that!  Almost everyone in the NHL is 6' or better - so ya just stack them up like cordwood.  Goalie on the bottom unless you got Chara on your team, then heaviest to lightest unless you run out of 6' guys.  Yah, there might be a hole, but its really really hard to get it in there.

haha.....it is just crazy enough to work. Might need Bruins issue blindfolds so no one bails which might cause the whole structure to come crashing down.

You know where it probably would work like a charm?  In Squirt or Mite hockey (forget what you guys call it - atoms?)  In my day the kid who could lift the puck was pretty rare at that age.

Pile up the kids in front of the net.

AutoShutOut!

[QUOTE]

AutoShutOut!

/QUOTE]

Which of course would lead to AutoCup...

• You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

I remember reading an article about how Charles Wang was looking into sumo wresters possibly playing net.

In response to kelvana33's comment:

I remember reading an article about how Charles Wang was looking into sumo wresters possibly playing net.

You can't be serious...

In response to kelvana33's comment:

You can't be serious...

Here it is. Wang certainly does things differently.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/columns/story?id=2523578" rel="nofollow">http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/columns/story?id=2523578

Oh man.....that is priceless!!

Thanks for this Kel, you made my weekend!

Oh man.....that is priceless!!

Thanks for this Kel, you made my weekend!

I never realized that at that time Snow was made G.M his salary counted against the Cap for the next two years.

Ha! Only in the land of Wang....

• Sections
    Shortcuts