Suspensions from Pens vs. Islanders

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from callodthedom19. Show callodthedom19's posts

Suspensions from Pens vs. Islanders

Godard 10 games
    Gillies 9 games
    Martin 4 games
    Islanders fined 100,000

Haley didn't get a suspension. Most likely because he will be sent right back down to the AHL where he belongs. Thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowboys9. Show cowboys9's posts

Re: Suspensions from Pens vs. Islanders

Would have loved to watch this game from beginning to end.. reminded me so much of the 70's line brawls  I used to love to watch when the Big Bad Bruins, Broadstreet Bullies, and Habs and Islanders had pretty tough teams , those were the days.....and on the heels of the Habs/ Bruins tilt..... Godard's suspension was automatic.. you jump off the bench and it is 10 games..Gillies went berserk and actually from what I read gave Tancredi a concussion as he was pummeling him on the ice.. real nasty..

I guess they were sticking up for their teammate DiPietro who got rocked the game before with these two... Simply wild.. Haley's charge for the goalie Johnston was priceless... Makes me wonder if this is just an isolated couple of incidents or are we going to see more of these type of brawls due to the amount of cheapshots going around....Also to make it worse was the Isles running up the score which I am sure didn't help..

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from callodthedom19. Show callodthedom19's posts

In Response to Re: Suspensions from Pens vs. Islanders:
    Would have loved to watch this game from beginning to end.. reminded me so much of the 70's line brawls  I used to love to watch when the Big Bad Bruins, Broadstreet Bullies, and Habs and Islanders had pretty tough teams , those were the days.....and on the heels of the Habs/ Bruins tilt..... Godard's suspension was automatic.. you jump off the bench and it is 10 games..Gillies went berserk and actually from what I read gave Tancredi a concussion as he was pummeling him on the ice.. real nasty.. I guess they were sticking up for their teammate DiPietro who got rocked the game before with these two... Simply wild.. Haley's charge for the goalie Johnston was priceless... Makes me wonder if this is just an isolated couple of incidents or are we going to see more of these type of brawls due to the amount of cheapshots going around....Also to make it worse was the Isles running up the score which I am sure didn't help..
    Posted by cowboys9

This was classic thuggery. Islanders should be ashamed of themselves. Good for Godard for standing up for his goalie. That showed how big his heart is. Tancredi got the concussion from the high hit of Gillies. Shame on Gillies for continuing to hit him when he was down and then barking at him from off the ice. Guy is a moron.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowboys9. Show cowboys9's posts

In Response to Re: Suspensions from Pens vs. Islanders : This was classic thuggery. Islanders should be ashamed of themselves. Good for Godard for standing up for his goalie. That showed how big his heart is. Tancredi got the concussion from the high hit of Gillies. Shame on Gillies for continuing to hit him when he was down and then barking at him from off the ice. Guy is a moron.
    Posted by callodthedom19

I am guessing the entertainment value for you was not what it was for me..I think if you go back to previous game between these two teams there were a lot of cheap shots by the Penguins that might have led to this.. particularly Talbot throwing  a blindside hit on Comeau and knocking him out...and then of course the fiasco with DiPietro.. Funny you would be appaled by this , because just about a year ago..fans on these boards were clamoring for the same after Savard got knocked into Pallookaville by Cooke.. and the Bruins  did nothing about it... The Isles thought otherwise and were willing to pay the price later..

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Orrthebest. Show Orrthebest's posts

In Response to Re: Suspensions from Pens vs. Islanders : I am guessing the entertainment value for you was not what it was for me..I think if you go back to previous game between these two teams there were a lot of cheap shots by the Penguins that might have led to this.. particularly Talbot throwing  a blindside hit on Comeau and knocking him out...and then of course the fiasco with DiPietro.. Funny you would be appaled by this , because just about a year ago..fans on these boards were clamoring for the same after Savard got knocked into Pallookaville by Cooke.. and the Bruins  did nothing about it... The Isles thought otherwise and were willing to pay the price later..
    Posted by cowboys9

Not only that the Pens were laughing after DiPietro got hurt.  The Dirty birds had this comming and deserved worse.  I can have no sympathy for any team that employes Matt Cooke.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaymiller. Show jaymiller's posts

To put things in perspective .........

The highlights did show Fleury smiling and patting the goalie on the back etc, shortly after the melee.... and i'll admit i was chuckling too when i saw the highlights of the one puch knockdown, BUT that was well before anyone found out about D'Pietro's facial fractures.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from callodthedom19. Show callodthedom19's posts

In Response to Re: Suspensions from Pens vs. Islanders : I am guessing the entertainment value for you was not what it was for me..I think if you go back to previous game between these two teams there were a lot of cheap shots by the Penguins that might have led to this.. particularly Talbot throwing  a blindside hit on Comeau and knocking him out...and then of course the fiasco with DiPietro.. Funny you would be appaled by this , because just about a year ago..fans on these boards were clamoring for the same after Savard got knocked into Pallookaville by Cooke.. and the Bruins  did nothing about it... The Isles thought otherwise and were willing to pay the price later..
    Posted by cowboys9

The game was entertaing for sure and I believe the Pens have had this coming for a long time now. I just didn't like seeing Talbot get suckerpunched even though I hate him. That could've been a Bertuzzi x2 (who ironically enough was sticking up for his then teammate Matt Cooke). I also didn't like what Gillies did at all that was absolutely disgusting. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt that he thought the guy was turtling so he kept swinging but to stand in the walkway and yell at the guy when he is down on the ice clearly hurt is disgusting. Like I said I gained a lot of respect for Godard. That showed me that he has a lot of heart. And, yes I do know why this happened because of the incidents in the previous meeting. Surprisingly Bruins hockey isn't the only hockey I pay attention to.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsFanInPenTerritory. Show BruinsFanInPenTerritory's posts

My girlfriend and I were watching this game, after having watched the awesome Bruins-Canadians game this week, and we were both amazed at the Islanders.

It's a shame that this team had those great 80s seasons, else I would love to see them move into Quebec City's new arena. Wang and Snow have turned this franchise into a pathetic joke. The game against the Pens shows that yes, the Islanders are fighting for themselves but they are fighting for no purpose. They have a bunch of American Leaguers filling out their roster and no real chance. I hope Nabokov continues to hold out and Tavares leaves at the first chance he gets.

Of course, the Pens deserve plenty of blame for that game too. No excuse for someone jumping the boards for a fight and ... sometimes a team that runs its mouth and plays dirty needs to get beat down. Talbot and Orpik are good, grity and semi-skilled players but they get under peoples' skins. To say nothing of Ratt Cooke.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

too bad cooke wasn't on the receiving end of the gillies hit. that would've been priceless. i would've loved to see him yapping like that with cooke lying on the ice.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from callodthedom19. Show callodthedom19's posts

too bad cooke wasn't on the receiving end of the gillies hit. that would've been priceless. i would've loved to see him yapping like that with cooke lying on the ice.
    Posted by goodnewsbears

You got me there that would've been sweet.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

callo-

I am guessing you like when teams get bullied?  I actually thought more of Montreal than I did for my own team after the brawl filled game.  They have no fighters outside of Moen but still took their licks and skated away. 
    The fans in Montreal gave their guys a huge ovation for battling it out.  Almost reminds me of a little geek standing up to a bully....sure the bully beat him up...but at least he stood up for himself.

Boston didn't fight PK and the other yappy Habs.   They faught eupo's and small french guys. 

As a die hard bruin fan i didnt stand and cheer for that...the only player that deserved a beat down was the guy McQuad grabbed.  And thats b/c he was classless after scoring in OT and pushing Chara. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from callodthedom19. Show callodthedom19's posts

callo- I am guessing you like when teams get bullied?  I actually thought more of Montreal than I did for my own team after the brawl filled game.  They have no fighters outside of Moen but still took their licks and skated away.  The fans in Montreal gave their guys a huge ovation for battling it out.  Almost reminds me of a little geek standing up to a bully....sure the bully beat him up...but at least he stood up for himself. Boston didn't fight PK and the other yappy Habs.   They faught eupo's and small french guys.  As a die hard bruin fan i didnt stand and cheer for that...the only player that deserved a beat down was the guy McQuad grabbed.  And thats b/c he was classless after scoring in OT and pushing Chara. 
    Posted by shuperman

Have you read anything I typed. I think the Pens got what they deserved but I don't think Talbot shoudl've got suckered and I think Gillies shouldn't have stayed there yelling. I would consider Montreal more of the bullies. They are the ones that run their mouths and try to goad you into doing something foolish. If the Islanders would've done what the Bruins did to Montreal I would've had no problems. I don't support the two moves by the mentioned above. Please read my posts next time. If I were the Islanders I would have put the goon squad out and as soon as the whistle blew I would have started a donnybrook. Also, Hamrlik gave a nice little cheapshot to Thorts after the AF Moen fight started. He deserved it.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikzor. Show mikzor's posts

It is amazing Haley didnt get a suspension.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from JYaso. Show JYaso's posts

www.boston.com/community/persona.html?UID=24452bbc04fc88a3129de092ee63ee2d&plckUserId=24452bbc04fc88a3129de092ee63ee2d">
    First: 12/16/2005
    Last: 2/13/2011
    callo-

I am guessing you like when teams get bullied?  I actually thought more of Montreal than I did for my own team after the brawl filled game.  They have no fighters outside of Moen but still took their licks and skated away. 
    The fans in Montreal gave their guys a huge ovation for battling it out.  Almost reminds me of a little geek standing up to a bully....sure the bully beat him up...but at least he stood up for himself.

Boston didn't fight PK and the other yappy Habs.   They faught eupo's and small french guys. 

As a die hard bruin fan i didnt stand and cheer for that...the only player that deserved a beat down was the guy McQuad grabbed.  And thats b/c he was classless after scoring in OT and pushing Chara.

You just lost the respect I had for you as a good solid poster.  Montreal deserved a beat down because of their consistent cheap shots and stick fouls after the whistle and their yapping and diving.  If you think that PK Subban doesn't deserve a beat down then you need to watch gymnastics or syncronized swimming.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

callo- I am guessing you like when teams get bullied?  I actually thought more of Montreal than I did for my own team after the brawl filled game.  They have no fighters outside of Moen but still took their licks and skated away.  The fans in Montreal gave their guys a huge ovation for battling it out.  Almost reminds me of a little geek standing up to a bully....sure the bully beat him up...but at least he stood up for himself. Boston didn't fight PK and the other yappy Habs.   They faught eupo's and small french guys.  As a die hard bruin fan i didnt stand and cheer for that...the only player that deserved a beat down was the guy McQuad grabbed.  And thats b/c he was classless after scoring in OT and pushing Chara. 
    Posted by shuperman

Euros like Hamrlik who fired the puck at the net after the whistle? 

I didn't see any players running away, getting caught and getting beat up.  They stood, they fought, they got it handed to them.  I give them credit for going, but remove some credit for losing every single battle.

Because the league can't hold the chippy player accountable (because they really don't have suspension-worthy antics) and because the other teams can barely hold them accountable (instigator), maybe a few more all out beatings like this will have teams hold themselves accountable.  Guy like MaxiPac and Subban should take a look at poor Tom Pyatt's face.  Gionta, as Captain, should have Tom Pyatt's beating playing over and over again while reminding everyone that this happened because of the cheap style of play of some of the rats on the team.

Teams without d-bags don't get the life kicked out of them for no reason.  You won't see this happen to a quality club.   I hope it continues to happen to teams who play this style.  If I were Tom Pyatt, every time I  walked past Subban, I'd say, "Do you want to know how I got these scars?  They're from you  and your weak ace style of play.  If you're going to play like that, answer the bell so the rest of us don't have to."

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaymiller. Show jaymiller's posts

It is amazing Haley didnt get a suspension.
    Posted by mikzor

All Haley did was fight (face to face) ~ hence no suspension whereas the other two Isles delivered blows to unsuspecting players heads. Why would Haley get a suspension ??

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

This is hockey, not ballet.  It is a fast game played by big guys that can be pretty violent at times.  I have no problem with the occasional donney-brook, all teams have a breaking point and need to push back.

As a Bruins fan, I was thrilled by their response against the Habs.  Consider me the polar opposite of shupe, at no time did I find myself gaining respect for the Habs because of the fights.  The Habs are a chippy and chirpy team, the B's were in a good spot on the scoreboard to push back.  Also, unlike shupe, I gained respect for Boychuck, since this easy thing to do is to stand there and do nothing.  Also, Thorton, who at times, lives by the code to a fault.  Very happy to see him try to get after Hamrlik, a chippy/chirpy Hab, unfortunately he hid behind Van Masenhoven's fat a** to save himself.

As for the Isles, again, I have no problem with their response.  Their #1 goalie has a broken face as a result of the Pens BS, and they pushed back.  I wonder how many Isles fans feel like shupe does, gaining more respect for the Pens?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In Response to Re: Suspensions from Pens vs. Islanders : Euros like Hamrlik who fired the puck at the net after the whistle?  I didn't see any players running away, getting caught and getting beat up.  They stood, they fought, they got it handed to them.  I give them credit for going, but remove some credit for losing every single battle. Because the league can't hold the chippy player accountable (because they really don't have suspension-worthy antics) and because the other teams can barely hold them accountable (instigator), maybe a few more all out beatings like this will have teams hold themselves accountable.  Guy like MaxiPac and Subban should take a look at poor Tom Pyatt's face.  Gionta, as Captain, should have Tom Pyatt's beating playing over and over again while reminding everyone that this happened because of the cheap style of play of some of the rats on the team. Teams without d-bags don't get the life kicked out of them for no reason.  You won't see this happen to a quality club.   I hope it continues to happen to teams who play this style.  If I were Tom Pyatt, every time I  walked past Subban, I'd say, "Do you want to know how I got these scars?  They're from you  and your weak ace style of play.  If you're going to play like that, answer the bell so the rest of us don't have to."
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

Exactly right.  Do you see the Red Wings (who really have no fighters on the squad at all) getting beat up and bullied?  No.  Because they play hockey and stay away from the crap.

The Habs have the unique combination of having a collection of cocky, mouthy, cheap shot players AND not enough guts and muscle to back it up.  The Bruins called them on it last game and it wasn't pretty for Montreal.  Let's hope they call them on it again next time, and maybe, eventually, PK will shut his big mouth.

Pyatt should absolutely show PK Subban his battered face - the price for PK's antics.  Just like Burish and Barch should have Steve Ott take a look at their broken eye sockets.

Perhaps Crosby and Tangradi might wonder aloud to Matt Cooke, why they are out with concussions...

Maybe the system works...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jalvis. Show jalvis's posts

Boston didn't fight PK.  
    Posted by shuperman

It's not like they didn't try.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowboys9. Show cowboys9's posts

In Response to Re: Suspensions from Pens vs. Islanders : Euros like Hamrlik who fired the puck at the net after the whistle?  I didn't see any players running away, getting caught and getting beat up.  They stood, they fought, they got it handed to them.  I give them credit for going, but remove some credit for losing every single battle. Because the league can't hold the chippy player accountable (because they really don't have suspension-worthy antics) and because the other teams can barely hold them accountable (instigator), maybe a few more all out beatings like this will have teams hold themselves accountable.  Guy like MaxiPac and Subban should take a look at poor Tom Pyatt's face.  Gionta, as Captain, should have Tom Pyatt's beating playing over and over again while reminding everyone that this happened because of the cheap style of play of some of the rats on the team. Teams without d-bags don't get the life kicked out of them for no reason.  You won't see this happen to a quality club.   I hope it continues to happen to teams who play this style.  If I were Tom Pyatt, every time I  walked past Subban, I'd say, "Do you want to know how I got these scars?  They're from you  and your weak ace style of play.  If you're going to play like that, answer the bell so the rest of us don't have to."
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

I am gathering you and I are from the same era... Bang On..Montreal players, some not all,  are " sneaky dirty" after whistle jabs with the sticks, slew foots, that is what MaxiPac (lol ) did to McQuaid at the end, hits from behind, etc and sometimes you have to answer the piper.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Yes Detroit has no one like that.  Maltby(when he played was worse than PK...way worse).  Draper. Holmstrom. Franzen.  Franzen isnt a house hold name but he is no angel out there.

Outside ok PK i just don't get the hate for Montreal.  Well I lie.  Dude that shot in OT and won and then pushed Chara.  But I already indicated that he got what he deserved. 

I don't need to be a homer.  I cheer for my team and call things as I see them.  I guess everyone missed Chara's slash, Lucic's punch on Price, Marchands cheap hit after the whistle and the other little things that went on in the game.  And none of the Bruins ever run their mouth.  Its funny they showed all this against Montreal but no fire against Pitt when they ended cooke's career. 

The Dallas game was created b/c of a Campy and Ott from when he was with Florida.  I thought the matchup in terms of players was even.

JY- I am not here for respect of other posters.  I like coming in and reading hockey knowledge and debating topics.  I haven't seen all you have said about montreal.  Yappers? Who?  Divers? every team has them.  We have our rats as well.  Sticking.  There are so many little battles in the game that go on.  I try and watch all the battles even when the puck isnt involved.

You may not like my posts but at least I can see between the lines of the actual game.  And if you havent noticed I often say things that create debate. 

Again, Montreal took a beating.  But I can bet you they are a better team b/c of it.  Whipe off their wounds and hold their heads high.  As an anti-montreal fan I thought they handled themselves well.  And they didnt lose every fight either. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Should have read when Cooke ended Savy's career.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

NOT

they didnt lose every battle.
    how is Krejci.  Moen more than handled himself.  Price was generous with TT who indicated he was lucky.  The end of the game stuff they cleaned house after the earlier battles.
    The most one sided win was Krecji....

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

NOT they didnt lose every battle. how is Krejci.  Moen more than handled himself.  Price was generous with TT who indicated he was lucky.  The end of the game stuff they cleaned house after the earlier battles. The most one sided win was Krecji....
    Posted by shuperman

You are correct.  I forgot about the Krejci fight.  The Price/Thomas tussle is not included in any fight category that doesn't start with "Things that do not qualify as".

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

NOT-
    agreed...TT/Price was a blip on the radar b/c of what it was.  If that wasn't skating clowns I don't know what is.

Sections
Shortcuts