Take a glance at 2011-2012 season

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from thedauber1. Show thedauber1's posts

Re: Take a glance at 2011-2012 season

In Response to Re: Take a glance at 2011-2012 season:
    [QUOTE]Pleaseeeeee dont waste anymore money on a 3rd line "two way, good in his own end, PK, responsible, hard to play against" forward, we have tons of those guys getting paid too much as is.  We need top end talent, be it top pairing dman or 1st line, PP forward.  I beg, no more Kelly, Paille, Boychuck, etc etc etc.  Forget Rex next year, love the guy, but take his and ryders money and try to get some legit talent on this team.  If you have krejci's line, chara shutting down the back end, the best tender tande, in the NHL, AND just one elite offensive talent to play with seguin or bergy and boost our god awful PP, provide more consistency in scoring etc, well then we're talking!   But pleaseeee, no more muckers or JAGs!
    Posted by bigbadbruinsfan[/QUOTE]

so who you going to go get if your PC, there really isn't anyone available that matches that description

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigbadbruinsfan. Show bigbadbruinsfan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Take a glance at 2011-2012 season : so who you going to go get if your PC, there really isn't anyone available that matches that description
    Posted by thedauber1[/QUOTE]

There are so many variables to that question, not my job.  I'd be pumped about Richards if savvy is gone, as long as it isnt another 17 year contract for another 30 year old. 

My point, no more decent guys, if you can't get a top guy in free agency, dont blow money on more long term contracts to ok type guys.  We have plenty of that, we need another big time player in some fashion.  Trade at draft, free agency, RFA, whatever PC or whoever the GM is, wants to do to win us the cup!  Another Ryder or Kelly aint gonna do it.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from thedauber1. Show thedauber1's posts

okay, but its kind of dumb to say that if you don't have examples. there isn't a single UFA who has more goals than Lucic. If you sign Richards, who are you going to trade once Seguin develops into the center that he will be, Richards, Krejci, or Bergeron?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigbadbruinsfan. Show bigbadbruinsfan's posts

[QUOTE]okay, but its kind of dumb to say that if you don't have examples. there isn't a single UFA who has more goals than Lucic. If you sign Richards, who are you going to trade once Seguin develops into the center that he will be, Richards, Krejci, or Bergeron?

Richards, Gagne, Markov, Jovo, I duno, I'm not a Gm, you're not a GM.  I know one thing, bruins don't need to lock up more cap space on ok guys.  Like I said, I don't know who's on the trade market, or who will be in June, and neither do you. 

Seguin, Bergy, and Richards have all played pretty substantian time on the wing in their NHL careers.  Seguin and Richards are/will be goal scoring centers, not just setup men like a savvy or krejci, playing them together would work well.  BR plays half wall on PP, plays point on PP, hes versatile.

I don't want to make this yet another BR post.  I'm simply saying don't waste more cap space locking up decent guys, we have a roster here full of that, and plenty of guys in Providence who can play those roles cheap (see mcquaid and marchand this season).  PC has put together a good team here, just a top player or two away.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigbadbruinsfan. Show bigbadbruinsfan's posts

And what does lucic goals have to do with signing or trading for someone else?  Are we only allowed to have one guy who can score per roster?  You're contradicting yourself here.  We can't sign anyone with less goals than lucic and there arent any UFAs with more than him, but you persist in shooting down my point that we shouldn't sign another high teens low twenties goal scorer?  So which is it, or are you just looking to argue?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigbadbruinsfan. Show bigbadbruinsfan's posts

As a side note, Richards is by far the best free agent until Iginla and Crosby after the 2013 season.  So unless we can get a guy like this via trade, we will have to home grow the needed additional forward.  Kelly and Ryders salaries would come pretty close to scoring us Richards (just shy of 7Mill), sounds like a great deal to me, too bad we gave up a 2nd round pick and have Kelly's 2.185 on the books again next year.

Does Bryan Murray have incriminating photos of PC or something?  How did he fleece a 2nd rounder from us for Kelly's bad contract?

Take out Kelly and Ryder, add Richards to Seguin and Peverly, now we have 2 consistent scoring lines and a huge shot in the arm to the PP.  Add in how hot Bergy's line can get, and we have something cooking now.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigbadbruinsfan. Show bigbadbruinsfan's posts

Or, what are the chances we go after an RFA either via trade or sign?  Let's be honest, Burke had the right idea, but did it with the wrong team since Tor stinks and gives up high picks.  If it's us, and we give up a late 1st and late second to sign any one of a large number of great RFA's, isnt it worthwhile?  We just gave up what amounts to two #1's, a #2 if Kabs resigns, and a #2 for kelly and kaberle at the deadline.  Call me crazy, but a 1,2,3 for a guy like Parise from a cash strapped NJ sounds like a steal (use savvys cash if he's forced to retire).

Impressive RFA list... http://www.capgeek.com/free_agents.php?year_id=2011&team_id=-1&position_id=-1&fa_type_id=1

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from thedauber1. Show thedauber1's posts

1. why do you hate kelly so much? he wasn't a bad pick up at all. 2. the point about lucic is simple, everyone talks about how we need A TRUE SNIPER, or AN elite goal scorer. well if you don't think lucic is, then were not going to get one. 3. sharp is a free agent after next season, unless i'm mistaken. 4. I agree we shouldn't go out and spend long term money on 2nd or 3rd teir players, but unless theres a huge trade for iginla or sharp, were not going to be adding a big name in the off season. Richards is not happening. Your saying PC needs to fix everything but not thinking about how. It would be like saying Obama needs to fix the economy, stop world hunger and eliminate taxes

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigbadbruinsfan. Show bigbadbruinsfan's posts

I never said a word about fix everything?  I said we need 1 or 2 more guys, that's far from fixing everything.  Those 1 or 2 guys cant be more of the same with 2nd and 3rd tier guys.  Where's the disconnect?  Whoever said Lucic isn't a goal scorer?  You're right, Sharp is a UFA next year, that would be great.

Kelly for a 2nd round pick and over 2Mill per for this year and next is a horrible pickup for a 10-15 goal scorer.  The point is simple, sign guys who can make a top line or top d pairing impact, names have been pointed out on here so I won't re hash.

You're saying the same thing as me, but putting words in my mouth about lucic not being a good enough scorer or PC needs to blow it up.  Go back, read what I said, it was a very very simple point.  You want specifics, I gave them, you don't like Richards well that's fine and your opinion.  Get an RFA, Parise if healthy (info we dont have because we aren't GM's!), Gagne as a ufa, etc.  Just don't go sign another paille/kobasew/kelly/ or the like, we have tons of that, more of those guys aren't putting us over the top. 

We do need more dynamic offensive talent.  Don't get all worked up because you think someone is slighting your binky PC.  We have guys like lucic who are a great start, but to compete with the Det, Chi, Phi, Wash, SJ, Van, etc, we need more than one top guy like lucic.  You are allowed to have more than one guy who can score, I'm sure you're aware, I hope anyways.

The plan is simple, and far from a broad blanket statement like your eliminate taxes comparison.  Don't sign anymore 4-7th dmen, no more 3rd/4th liners, don't blow it up/we do have good pieces in place, sign ufa or rfa/trade for 1 or 2 more top end guys (the lists are out there, you fill in the name that makes you happy).  Not difficult.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from thedauber1. Show thedauber1's posts

okay nevermind, you don't understand the way the league works or how a hockey team is built so i'm just going to stop this debate

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigbadbruinsfan. Show bigbadbruinsfan's posts

What? ha.  You just can't make a real argument without putting words in someone's mouth, that's why you're stopping the debate.  What don't I get?  How RFA's work, or UFA, maybe trades, this Bruins team?  Seems like none of the above to me, see I have actually made points.  You on the other hand come out with your "you don't get it", or justifying your thoughts with something I didn't even say.  You're right, the debates over, actually never even started.

Ahhh, lucic has more goals than datsyuk so we wouldnt need a guy like him.  Ahhhh, why should PC destroy this team to sign someone who isn't another mucker.  Ahhh, why don't you love Chris Kelly, guys awesome.  Ahhh, you want O'bama to fix world hunger but you don't have answers.  Huh? 

All excellent points by you, however, none of which have even the slightest thing to do with anything I've said in this thread.  You did come close with the question, who should we get, but that was it.  I'm done, can someone intelligent maybe help add something to this conversation please?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

So if Savard does not come back there will be two forward positions open (Ryder and recchi gone) and  one on defense. So PC has just over 49 mill to play with.

Marchand (RFA) will probably get a Wheeler deal-2.2 mill

Which means he has about 7 mill (if the cap is at 59 mill) to sign three players. PC should have about 1 mill in reserve for season call-ups and posible injury replacements so he is down to 6mill.

If two rookies take the forward positions then that is another 1.75 mill (entry level contracts at 875K each ). This does not inlcude bonuses leaving 4.25 mill for one defenseman.

It could be money for Kaberle if he re-signs. So, no money for a big UFA signing. If Savard comes back then no Kaberle.

What remains, barring a trade, is roughly the same team we have now. I hope it is enough.....

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from thedauber1. Show thedauber1's posts

okay, firstly, bigbadbruin you didn't make points, you just said kelly is bad and PC needs to get a big name...anyway, moving on from that jmwalters i think your numbers are a touch off 

Lucic (4) Krejci (3.75) Horton (4)     11.75
    Marchand (2.5) Bergeron (5) Seguin (.9)    8.4
    Peverly (1.325) Kelly (2.125) xxxxxxx      3.45
    paille (1) Campbell (1.1) Thornton (.825) 2.925

Chara (6.5) Seids (3.25) 9.75
    Kaberle (?) McQuaid (.6)  .6
    Ference (2.25) Boychuk (1.875)  4.125

Thomas (5)
    Rask (1.25)

i get 47.25 mill with that, with the cap likely to be at about 61, the Bs have plenty of room 
    re-sign Kaberle at 4-4.25 and you still have over 9 mill, keep a million for wiggle room, and a million for a scratched forward, and you could legitimately trade for an elite player (if such a thing were possible)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

JM, I think the cap will end up at 62Mil(hoping but it should). Not sure if Kelly and Paille make the cut this October now that's not a ton of money but it should leave enough for call ups and get Kaberle in comfortably.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

Let's play with salaries, shall we?

2011-2012 Changes
    Ryder (-$4,000,000) & Recchi (-$1,950,000) will likely come off the books.
    Chara's cap hit is reduced (-$583,333).
    Schaefer's buyout comes off (-$766,677).

Bergeron's cap hit increases (+$250,000).
    Eaves' buyout hit increases (+$300,000).

Everything else remains the same.

For me, it all hinges on Savard and how early he makes his decision. The Bruins will have $10,757,143 to spend if Savard retires (he would get his full salary but the full amount comes off the cap hit). If he doesn't retire, the cap space reduces to $6,750,000....but the assumption is he's good to go in this case.

Meanwhile...back at the Hall of Justice...

Most think Kaberle will command in the range of a $4,000,000 annual hit.
    Marchand will need a new contract. What is he worth? $1.75-$2.0 mil annually?

Ergo....vis-a-vis....

I would think the desire to re-sign Kaberle and Marchand reduces if they have the full $10,757,143 to play with. At that point, they can really open the checkbook and try to land the top guys. Savard stays on the books and they only have the $6,750,000, then I really don't see many changes coming.

Look over the list of free agents....is there anything on this list that really stands out as a better use of $6,750,000 than Kaberle and Marchand?

www.capgeek.com/free_agents.php">http://www.capgeek.com/free_agents.php

What would I do? Thanks for asking...

Even though the temptation is there to land a big fish, I don't think it's the best move. I'm also not a GM at the NHL level, so there it is.

If $10,757,143 and no Savard:

+ Kaberle (33) at $4 mil annually x 4 years
    + Marchand at $2 mil annually x 4 years
    + Erik Cole (32) at $3.25 annually x 3 years. I like his size, grit, 20+ goals and leadership

Hold $1.5 mil for the trade deadline / injury relief

Lucic-Krejci-Horton
    Cole-Bergeron-Seguin
    Marchand-Peverly-Kelly
    Thornton-Campbell-Caron/Paille

If $6,750,000 and a healthy Savard:
    + Kaberle at $4 mil annually
    + Marchand at $2 mil annually
    Hold the $750,000 for the trade deadline / injury relief

Lucic-Krejci-Horton
    Peverly-Savard-Seguin
    Marchand-Bergeron-Caron
    Thornton-Campbell-Kelly/Paille

But I digress...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

[QUOTE]JM, I think the cap will end up at 62Mil(hoping but it should). Not sure if Kelly and Paille make the cut this October now that's not a ton of money but it should leave enough for call ups and get Kaberle in comfortably.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]

If the cap does go up then PC will have much more lverage to improve the team. Good point. I am not sure this will occur but it seems to go up every year so why not in 2011.

As for Paille and Kelly, I think they are staying put. Both are good systems soldiers for a relatively cheap price. As PC's pickups this year shows (Kelly and Peverly), he is more interested in facilitating Julien's system then looking for big money superstars. I may not agree with this but I do respect that he is giving his coach everything he needs to succeed in his own way. Whether is works or not falls to Julien himself.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from rocketdan9. Show rocketdan9's posts

Savvy is done. He will retire

Bruins lineup next year

Coach = Paul Mclean

Lucic Krejci Horton
    Spooner Bergeron Marchand
    Caron Seguin Peverly
    Thornton Campbell Arniel/Paille

Chara FA/trade
    Seidenberg Kampfer
    Mcquaid Ference

Ryder, Recchi, Kelly all three should not be resigned
    Trade boychuck or Ference, don't resign Kaberle and spend some money on a decent offensive defensemen

Its also time to get rid of some old legs and give some young legs a try. We need more speed in our lineup

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

[QUOTE]Savvy is done. He will retire Bruins lineup next year Coach = Paul Mclean Lucic Krejci Horton Spooner Bergeron Marchand Caron Seguin Peverly Thornton Campbell Arniel/Paille Chara FA/trade Seidenberg Kampfer Mcquaid Ference Ryder, Recchi, Kelly all three should not be resigned Trade boychuck or Ference, don't resign Kaberle and spend some money on a decent offensive defensemen Its also time to get rid of some old legs and give some young legs a try. We need more speed in our lineup
    Posted by rocketdan9[/QUOTE]

Kelly is already signed for next year at 2.1 mill....

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from thedauber1. Show thedauber1's posts

[QUOTE]Savvy is done. He will retire Bruins lineup next year Coach = Paul Mclean Lucic Krejci Horton Spooner Bergeron Marchand Caron Seguin Peverly Thornton Campbell Arniel/Paille Chara FA/trade Seidenberg Kampfer Mcquaid Ference Ryder, Recchi, Kelly all three should not be resigned Trade boychuck or Ference, don't resign Kaberle and spend some money on a decent offensive defensemen Its also time to get rid of some old legs and give some young legs a try. We need more speed in our lineup
    Posted by rocketdan9[/QUOTE]

i needed a good laugh, thanks

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from thedauber1. Show thedauber1's posts

also does anyone else think boychuk gets moved in the off season?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ronstar8. Show Ronstar8's posts

[QUOTE]also does anyone else think boychuk gets moved in the off season?

I think that will depend greatly on his playoff performance this year.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

[QUOTE]also does anyone else think boychuk gets moved in the off season?

With Kampfer progressing it is a possibility. If  Kaberle is signed then I think it is a possibility Boychuk gets moved if only to free up some cap space for breathing room. He is in a similar situation that Stuart was in, a regressing season with a 1.875 mill cap hit....

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Take a glance at 2011-2012 season:[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Take a glance at 2011-2012 season :  As for Paille and Kelly, I think they are staying put. Both are good systems soldiers for a relatively cheap price. Whether is works or not falls to Julien himself. Posted by jmwalters[/QUOTE]

Caron and Sauve will be ready to take the spots I don't see either needing to spend more time in the AHL. PC will have to make money decisions after he overpays for Kaberle as his agent has Chiarelli over a barrel for the way his client was pursued the last two seasons.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Hope you are right SanDog. While I repsect pluggers, nothing is better then having a team of true youth, hunger, and skill.

I see Kaberle going elswhere, just an intuition....

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from thedauber1. Show thedauber1's posts

[QUOTE]Hope you are right SanDog. While I repsect pluggers, nothing is better then having a team of true youth, hunger, and skill. I see Kaberle going elswhere, just an intuition....
    Posted by jmwalters[/QUOTE]

the bruins have been after this guy for two years, and kaberle's number one destination was boston, and you think hes going elsewhere? why?