Takeaways for Ottawa from Last Night

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3957105. Show user_3957105's posts

Takeaways for Ottawa from Last Night

Yes, it was a meaningless game for the B's last night but not so for Ottawa. They had most of their regulars playing, aside from their backup goalie. That said, here are some things I saw last night which I think will carry on into the playoffs. I am assuming, of course, that the B's are going to play them in the first round:

1. Karlsson-was on the ice for all three B's goals.Yes, he plays lots of minutes but he is also a riverboat gambler (Sandis Ozolinsh anyone?) and the B's can exploit that very easily.

2. Bishop-the Sens better pray that they will not have to use him because, aside from his huge size, he does not have much going for him. I personally don't think Anderson is a large leap forward from "Big Ben" either. Their tending is weak.

3. Neil-He is going to be a problem and will be running around stirring up crap. B's better be careful not to take to many retaliation penalties on his account.

4. Alfie and Spezza-these guys are still very, very dangerous. They are also such a big part of that team's offense that how they go, the team goes. B's should smother them and smack them around at every opportunity

5. Sens team-Diving is going to be an issue once again I think. I saw Spezza and Turris falling down every time a B breathed on them. Van/Habs 2.0? I hope not but am expecting it.

That's my take. Am I missing something?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Re: Takeaways for Ottawa from Last Night

Not much more. From the bruins side, it was obvious Claude dictated a conservative game. Thought Krug, once again, showed unexpected skills and speed. Sweeney may have found his alter ego. Khudobin, as noted was very good.Caron and Pouliot showed some chemistry.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chappy28. Show Chappy28's posts

I'm starting to really like Krug.  Small sample, but seems to be exactly what you dream of when you say PMD -- despite his small size.  Good decisions, good poise, crisp passes, no stupid plays

As opposed to Corvo -- bad gambles, misfired passes, and constantly being out of posiont

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3957105. Show user_3957105's posts

Did anyone else here Jack state his case as to why Karlsson should not win the Norris? Kind of petty on his part but, as last night showed, he is not that far off in his assertions. The first B goal, and how Karlsson played it, proved Jack's point about his defensive deficiencies. If Karlsson wins the Norris then, which I doubt, then they might as well change the definition of the trophy to "highest scoring defencemen."

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from montecristo. Show montecristo's posts

I thought Krug looked out of position a number of times. I am sure it's due to his lack of time in the organiztion, but that has to and will improve.

I actually almost threw up when I saw what I thought was him make a huge accross center ice off the board pass to Kelly (?). I was like, wow ballsy, dangerous pass...only to notice it was Ference.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from LordByron77. Show LordByron77's posts

In Response to Re: Takeaways for Ottawa from Last Night:
    [QUOTE]Did anyone else here Jack state his case as to why Karlsson should not win the Norris? Kind of petty on his part but, as last night showed, he is not that far off in his assertions. The first B goal, and how Karlsson played it, proved Jack's point about his defensive deficiencies. If Karlsson wins the Norris then, which I doubt, then they might as well change the definition of the trophy to "highest scoring defencemen."
    Posted by jaywall[/QUOTE]

Heard Jack go on about that too. Smiling the whole time. I love his rants most of the time. IF Karlsson wins, I believe a nomination will be awarded, that would taint the whole reason for having a Norris trophy.
    Jack said it best " the first two  syllables is de-fence"
    Maybe the league will look into this "injustice" if Karlsson doesn't win and offer another trophy for the leagues highest scoring "de-fence man"

imo Weber or Chara will win. And believe how far each team goes into the playoffs will be factored in

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from matttt87. Show matttt87's posts

One big arguement I see (since it is best ALL-AROUND defenseman) is his lack of SH ice time. He is a distant 7th (yes 7th) on the defense in average SH ice time per game.

In my eyes a Norris trophy winner should be on the ice whenever sound defense is paramount.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

Agreed. Karlsson takes WAY too many chances, he seems to be below the dot in the offensive zone so often. He puts an awful lot of pressure on his forwards to have to cover back for him. Very exciting player but he's not to be confused with a well rounded defenseman.

The things I'll take from last night are that Khudobin was impressive. Krug has a high hockey IQ. That Caron just continues to improve nightly. That the B's are more than their collective parts, especially on defense (not so many CJ haters now, eh?). That Seguin seems to be scuffling offensively, especially with 17 and 46, and that Ference is an underrated player in this league.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3957105. Show user_3957105's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Takeaways for Ottawa from Last Night : Heard Jack go on about that too. Smiling the whole time. I love his rants most of the time. IF Karlsson wins, I believe a nomination will be awarded, that would taint the whole reason for having a Norris trophy. Jack said it best " the first two  syllables is de-fence" Maybe the league will look into this "injustice" if Karlsson doesn't win and offer another trophy for the leagues highest scoring "de-fence man" imo Weber or Chara will win. And believe how far each team goes into the playoffs will be factored in
    Posted by LordByron77[/QUOTE]

I agree. Remember when Rod Langway won back to back Norris trophies in the 1980's? It was not because he led all d'men in scoring that's for sure. That said, I would be in favour of another trophy to acknowledge points. Kind of like the Rocket Richard Trophy but for Defencemen. That would make sense to me.

I think it will be between Weber and Chara also but there are more than a few who are pining for Pietrangelo of the Blues but I think he is too young yet to be given serious consideration. Despite what anyone says, a player's whole body of work is still taken into account. That is partly why Lidstrom won last year despite being a -2 on the season.

Chara will win. He is besting both of them in points, +/-, and is the most intimidating man in the NHL who plays a regular shift (sorry John Scott).

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In Response to Takeaways for Ottawa from Last Night:
    [QUOTE]Yes, it was a meaningless game for the B's last night but not so for Ottawa. They had most of their regulars playing, aside from their backup goalie. That said, here are some things I saw last night which I think will carry on into the playoffs. I am assuming, of course, that the B's are going to play them in the first round: 1. Karlsson -was on the ice for all three B's goals.Yes, he plays lots of minutes but he is also a riverboat gambler (Sandis Ozolinsh anyone?) and the B's can exploit that very easily. 2. Bishop -the Sens better pray that they will not have to use him because, aside from his huge size, he does not have much going for him. I personally don't think Anderson is a large leap forward from "Big Ben" either. Their tending is weak. 3. Neil -He is going to be a problem and will be running around stirring up crap. B's better be careful not to take to many retaliation penalties on his account. 4. Alfie and Spezza -these guys are still very, very dangerous. They are also such a big part of that team's offense that how they go, the team goes. B's should smother them and smack them around at every opportunity 5. Sens team- Diving is going to be an issue once again I think. I saw Spezza and Turris falling down every time a B breathed on them. Van/Habs 2.0? I hope not but am expecting it. That's my take. Am I missing something?

Karlsson has more talent in his left hand then Ozolinsh had in his whole body. The kid is the real deal, I think defense is a real hard position for a young kid to learn, especially at the NHL level, he has his flaws, but he'll only get better in that department. Still at his age, he's the best offensive d-man out there and everyime he steps on the ice, he's the best skater out there. Give him a year or two to learn how to play D, add 15-20 pounds to that frame, he's gonna be scary good. I'd take him and his defensive flaws on my Bruins any day of the week.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Takeaways for Ottawa from Last Night : The kid is the real deal, I think defense is a real hard position for a young kid to learn, especially at the NHL level, he has his flaws, but he'll only get better in that department. Posted by kelvana33[/QUOTE]

I agree. Knocking him down in order to prove a point about the Norris is pretty harsh. He is what he is, which is a stellar defenseman who will only get better. The fact remains that it's pretty impressive he's even considered for the trophy at this point in his career. Green showed the same early flashes and then tailed off (perhaps due to a shoddy work ethic), but I don't see that happening with this kid. He's going to be good for a long time.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3957105. Show user_3957105's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Takeaways for Ottawa from Last Night : Karlsson has more talent in his left hand then Ozolinsh had in his whole body. The kid is the real deal, I think defense is a real hard position for a young kid to learn, especially at the NHL level, he has his flaws, but he'll only get better in that department. Still at his age, he's the best offensive d-man out there and everyime he steps on the ice, he's the best skater out there. Give him a year or two to learn how to play D, add 15-20 pounds to that frame, he's gonna be scary good. I'd take him and his defensive flaws on my Bruins any day of the week.
    Posted by kelvana33[/QUOTE]

Not doubting his skill Kel, just agreeing with Jack that he is still far away from being the best defenceman in the league. I am not suggesting he will not improve, just that he has a while to go yet before anyone should annoint him with the Norris.

By the way, I got to see Sandis a few times when he was in his prime with Colorado. There are, in fact, many similarities in their game. Also, Ozolinsh was 3rd in Norris voting in 97.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Takeaways for Ottawa from Last Night : Karlsson has more talent in his left hand then Ozolinsh had in his whole body. The kid is the real deal, I think defense is a real hard position for a young kid to learn, especially at the NHL level, he has his flaws, but he'll only get better in that department. Still at his age, he's the best offensive d-man out there and everyime he steps on the ice, he's the best skater out there. Give him a year or two to learn how to play D, add 15-20 pounds to that frame, he's gonna be scary good. I'd take him and his defensive flaws on my Bruins any day of the week.
    Posted by kelvana33[/QUOTE]
    I remember when people spoke the same way about Mike Green.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from orr4neely8. Show orr4neely8's posts

If the Bruins play the Sens in the playoffs. The Bruins will man handle the Sens in a 7 gm. match up way too much depth with continuous forecheck. I will expect to see Looch pounding Karlson with hits and wear/tear along the boards. Remember Komisarek in a playoffs with Looch. Chara will be all over Spezza, Bergy will the man to face Alfy and our famous pest March will give MickaleK a hard time, Marchand will be all over Mick. like a fly on honey.

I am hoping for the Sens in the 1st rd. not Fld. if so it will be a trap defence gm. and i will be having a snooze alarm set up every two mins. to catch some excitement hopefully.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Takeaways for Ottawa from Last Night : I agree. Remember when Rod Langway won back to back Norris trophies in the 1980's? It was not because he led all d'men in scoring that's for sure. That said, I would be in favour of another trophy to acknowledge points. Kind of like the Rocket Richard Trophy but for Defencemen. [/QUOTE]

Yep. Time to bring in the Robert Gordon Orr Trophy.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3957105. Show user_3957105's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Takeaways for Ottawa from Last Night : Yep. Time to bring in the Robert Gordon Orr Trophy.
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]

Nice name but perhaps the Paul Coffey Memorial Trophy may be more fitting. 

Wink

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Takeaways for Ottawa from Last Night : Nice name but perhaps the Paul Coffey Memorial Trophy may be more fitting.                                        

Don't even joke (also, when did Coffey die?) If you're going to have a scoring title trophy for a D, then name it after the only D to ever win the Art Ross.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3957105. Show user_3957105's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Takeaways for Ottawa from Last Night : Don't even joke (also, when did Coffey die?) If you're going to have a scoring title trophy for a D, then name it after the only D to ever win the Art Ross.
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]

Heh...there are many here in the deep west that tell me Coffey died to them the minute he was traded to the Pens. Does this count?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Takeaways for Ottawa from Last Night : Don't even joke (also, when did Coffey die?) If you're going to have a scoring title trophy for a D, then name it after the only D to ever win the Art Ross.
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]
    Can't argue against that logic.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Takeaways for Ottawa from Last Night : Yep. Time to bring in the Robert Gordon Orr Trophy.
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]

It's long overdue.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3957105. Show user_3957105's posts

Actually, the only problem I have with naming it after Orr is that it implies that the winner be both the best scorer and defenceman (+128 anyone?). I would prefer they re-name the Norris after Orr and find another name for the highest scoring D-man if they want another trophy.