Tale of the Tape

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucdufour. Show lucdufour's posts

Tale of the Tape

An important B's consideration is getting more SIZE in their Top 6.  It became apparent, particularly without Horton, that the B's forwards were getting slowed down and suffocated by bigger Caps forwards.  This was also true during the latter portion of the regular season.    Plus, if you want net prescence, it helps to have size; this is why our 3rd line played the best out of the lines during the series.    By the way, Parise is 5'11 and 190.  While I'd love to see him in a B's uni, they may continue to be challenged by bigger teams without more balance.

Here was our Top 6

Berg.  6'2   194
    Krejci  6'0  178
    March  5'9  183
    Seguin 6'1  186
    Lucic  6'3    228
    Peverley  6'0  200

Here is the Caps Top 6

Ovi 6'2  220
    Semin 6'2  209
    Johannson 5'11   189
    Backstrom  6'1  210
    Chimera   6'2  216
    Laich  6'2   210

five out of 6 Caps over 6'1 and pushing 210....   and for the B's only Lucic, and it is considerable.   

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Re: Tale of the Tape

Caps developed as big before many others. Lucic, Bergie, Seguin are Ok; Marchand does play bigger than his size, but the Caps were well prepared for him; Kreji and Peverly rely on speed and shiftiness, and do not play a bruising game. Horton will be welcomed back, but Imo there's no need to replace if he comes back. If Horts does not come back, Caron is a good fill in on Bergie's line and Seguin will play well with Kreji. The only up-front weakness comes from the once "vaunted " 4th line. Why Peter doesn't see that Thornton has outlived his usefulness is beyond me; Paille is big enouch and fast enough as is Pouliot, but they are both lacking finish. Campbell is tough and scrappy, but someone younger, bigger, and faster would help. Peverly fits well with Kelly if Kelly can be re-signed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from fourrings. Show fourrings's posts

Bergeron is not 6'2 not sure he's even 6'0

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In Response to Re: Tale of the Tape:
    [QUOTE]Bergeron is not 6'2 not sure he's even 6'0
    Posted by fourrings[/QUOTE]

Nor is Peverley 6'0

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jwb413. Show jwb413's posts

My wife and I met Marchand at the Cheesecake Factory in Cambridge last year while they were playing Tampa and my wife is 5'9" and she was not wearing heels and she was at least 2" taller than him. There's no way he is 183lb. either. I'd guess 170ish.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

It would be nice to know if the league is going to call interference strictly or let the clutching and grabbing of the trap seep back into the game, like it has been, before we make decisions on needing to be bigger or not.

I just shuddered thinking of the post-lockout signings of guys like Dave Scatchard in an effort to "get bigger".  It doesn't always work.

Secondly, let's not forget that guys like Marchand and Krejci were among the most effective players in the postseason one year ago.  Not that much has changed.

Lucic was invisible against the Caps and he is the biggest, most physical forward we've got.

Furthermore, the Caps played a 1-4 trap.  You don't beat the trap with more size, you're better off beating it with more speed.  The Bruins played bad in a lot of ways, I'm not so sure size was a deciding factor.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

[QUOTE]Caps developed as big before many others. Lucic, Bergie, Seguin are Ok; Marchand does play bigger than his size, but the Caps were well prepared for him; Kreji and Peverly rely on speed and shiftiness, and do not play a bruising game. Horton will be welcomed back, but Imo there's no need to replace if he comes back. If Horts does not come back, Caron is a good fill in on Bergie's line and Seguin will play well with Kreji. The only up-front weakness comes from the once "vaunted " 4th line. Why Peter doesn't see that Thornton has outlived his usefulness is beyond me; Paille is big enouch and fast enough as is Pouliot, but they are both lacking finish. Campbell is tough and scrappy, but someone younger, bigger, and faster would help. Peverly fits well with Kelly if Kelly can be re-signed.
    Posted by bogie6[/QUOTE]
    For the same reason Ryder was not resigned at over $3 mil a year to play on the 3rd line,Kelly is likely going elsewhere.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Neecic. Show Neecic's posts

size is important but you have to know how to use it.  (i've heard that somewhere before).  you have the pitbulls like gerbe, marchand, parise, and you have the great danes like wheeler and gill.

The key is to find the rottweilers like brown, backes, lucic etc.

My concern regarding size is less about the team as it is and more about the farm system, other then hamilton there are not many big guys in the mix for making the team in the next couple yrs especially on D.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucdufour. Show lucdufour's posts

[QUOTE]It would be nice to know if the league is going to call interference strictly or let the clutching and grabbing of the trap seep back into the game, like it has been, before we make decisions on needing to be bigger or not. I just shuddered thinking of the post-lockout signings of guys like Dave Scatchard in an effort to "get bigger".  It doesn't always work. Secondly, let's not forget that guys like Marchand and Krejci were among the most effective players in the postseason one year ago.  Not that much has changed. Lucic was invisible against the Caps and he is the biggest, most physical forward we've got. Furthermore, the Caps played a 1-4 trap.  You don't beat the trap with more size, you're better off beating it with more speed.  The Bruins played bad in a lot of ways, I'm not so sure size was a deciding factor.
    Posted by Fletcher1[/QUOTE]

Fletch, I agree with a lot of what you're saying...but we also need some guys who can establish net presence and knock in some rebounds.  The playoffs are a lot about getting dirty goals and the B's personnel without Horton is severely lacking in that department amongt the Top 6.  We need another Rottweiler as another poster put it...a Doan, Backes, type.  The Scatchard types are not Top 6 material. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

Nathan Horton: 6'2" 229
    Jordan Caron: 6'2" 202

Since 2011-2012 is over for the B's, and assuming Horton is back for the start of next year, he'd be in the top 6 and provide more size.

Caron is a top 9, occasional fill in on the top 6, who is also a decent size.

Sections
Shortcuts