Talk radio skewing people's opinion of TT

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from stingerjp. Show stingerjp's posts

Talk radio skewing people's opinion of TT

It has been nice to see some local talk radio hosts focusing a lot more on hockey the last couple of years.  However, too many people in this town let these hosts think for them. When these media members have OPINIONS about games and players, it's amazing to see how many people in Boston just assume they are right and don't use their own judgement on what they saw.

Case in point- talk show guys saying TT has never stole a playoff game before last night.  Talk radio has harped on this so much that Bruins fans actually think it is true. Look at other threads if you want plenty of evidence.  Here are the FACTS:

2008:TT went 3 games in a row vs MTL allowing 1 goal per game with a save% of .964, .964 and .969.  He went 2-1 over that stretch. Pretty good numbers/play.

2009 vs MT: TT gave up 4 goals in 6 games and had a .946 save% for series.
    2009 vs CAR: GAme 1= 1 GA, Game 5=shutout, Game 6=1 goal. 

Looking at the STATS/RESULTS, it sure looks like TT has carried this team at times in the playoffs, regardless of what talk radio says!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from nix02061. Show nix02061's posts

Re: Talk radio skewing people's opinion of TT

Hater's will always hate.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from JLEO25. Show JLEO25's posts

In Response to Talk radio skewing people's opinion of TT:
    It has been nice to see some local talk radio hosts focusing a lot more on hockey the last couple of years.  However, too many people in this town let these hosts think for them. When these media members have OPINIONS about games and players, it's amazing to see how many people in Boston just assume they are right and don't use their own judgement on what they saw. Case in point- talk show guys saying TT has never stole a playoff game before last night.  Talk radio has harped on this so much that Bruins fans actually think it is true. Look at other threads if you want plenty of evidence.  Here are the FACTS: 2008:TT went 3 games in a row vs MTL allowing 1 goal per game with a save% of .964, .964 and .969.  He went 2-1 over that stretch. Pretty good numbers/play. 2009 vs MT: TT gave up 4 goals in 6 games and had a .946 save% for series. 2009 vs CAR: GAme 1= 1 GA, Game 5=shutout, Game 6=1 goal.  Looking at the STATS/RESULTS, it sure looks like TT has carried this team at times in the playoffs, regardless of what talk radio says!
    Posted by stingerjp

If you mean Felger or Ordway, their opinions are not worth a f*rt in a windstorm. Both are blowhards with no knowledge of the game (outside of what the producer tells them) and are only trying to incite or inflame a controversy. Once Dale left the air, no one on talk radio has any idea of what he is talking about. Except for LB. I stopped listening to them years ago.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from nix02061. Show nix02061's posts

Aside from LB and occasionally Toucher and Rich there is rarely any good hockey talk on talk radio.  Felger lives for controversy, its his gimmic.  It's how he gets his ratings and callers.  Ordway, he's a football guy and probably hasn't watched much hockey over his lifetime.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

The worst of the group is Felger on 98.5.  He spouts his jewels of wisdom, and then tells us how he's a fan of "MarchMAND".  Spelling Krejci as "Krecji" is understandable on forums because that's a weird name to us, but if the radio guy doesn't know how to pronounce the names, he's a fraud.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Or people actually watch the games and form their own opinions? 

Two common themes in my posts about TT in this year's playoffs:
    1) Soft/bad goals allowed in the series
    - Game 1: Gionta goal was bad
    - Game 2: two bad rebounds were weak
    - Game 3: two bad 5-hole goals
    - Game 4: Sopel goal is bad, Subban goal was weak 

2) We should ride him until he can't play anymore, not the time to put in Rask

TT was unreal last night, I have been waiting for that type of performance from him all series.  Others in the respected hockey media, exclusive of 98.5, have also pointed out that TT has not been as sharp in this series.

I am comfortable with my comments, they are intended to be constructive, not straight out Timmy-bashing, hopefully they have come across that way.  That said, the TT Fanboys do everything in their power to choke off any honest debate of his play.  Not saying that is the intention of this thread, more a general observation. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from nix02061. Show nix02061's posts

Felger's routine is to start controversy.  He will say whatever it takes to get people to call in and argue with him.  Kind of like some of our posters here it seems....

Having your own opinion is fine. But this is the stuff he has done for a long time, from his stints on Comcast and 98.5.  Its his gimmic, it gets him his ratings can't fault that the man knows job security.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sportsnutty. Show Sportsnutty's posts

I'll take Felgy's schtick any day. At least it starts discussion about the sport that seemingly most of us love! I find Felger-Mazz to be entertaining.. I'll take it over no hockey talk at all, which is what we were reduced to for years on the radio.
    Go B's!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Since I am retired and live in Southwest Virginia i am not besieged by know nothing talk radio for hockey. However I do have some observations about Timmy. He has been giving up lots of scary rebounds in the past few MONTHS, not just the playoffs. It may be the catalyst for Chiarelli to start planning for an off season trade since Timmy is completing his second year on the new contract. Chiarelli may even believe that a Rask/ Khudoban duo might be as good or better. In addition, after last nite's performance, Kaberle may have played himself into free agency. It's tough to just lose Joe Colborne, but that was the risk. A final issue is coaching. With Murray no longer in Providence, one perception may be that Scott Gordon was , and is, a very good coach, and prepared call-ups very well, unlike Bartkowski. Any one interested??

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from JLEO25. Show JLEO25's posts

Bogie6 wrote:
    "A final issue is coaching. With Murray no longer in Providence, one perception may be that Scott Gordon was , and is, a very good coach, and prepared call-ups very well, unlike Bartkowski. Any one interested??"                         

Piece in local paper about Gordon coaching Team USA at the IIHF tournamnet. He said he's willing to take a coaching job-NHL, AHL, wherever, to get back into the game. He did an excellent job in Providence. Murray was not a good choice (IMHO) as defensemen never seemed to improve under his tutelage. Did not expect much from him and expectations were realized. Bring back Gordon!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mabhookubhoo. Show Mabhookubhoo's posts

In Response to Re: Talk radio skewing people's opinion of TT:
    Since I am retired and live in Southwest Virginia i am not besieged by know nothing talk radio for hockey. However I do have some observations about Timmy. He has been giving up lots of scary rebounds in the past few MONTHS, not just the playoffs. It may be the catalyst for Chiarelli to start planning for an off season trade since Timmy is completing his second year on the new contract. Chiarelli may even believe that a Rask/ Khudoban duo might be as good or better. In addition, after last nite's performance, Kaberle may have played himself into free agency. It's tough to just lose Joe Colborne, but that was the risk. A final issue is coaching. With Murray no longer in Providence, one perception may be that Scott Gordon was , and is, a very good coach, and prepared call-ups very well, unlike Bartkowski. Any one interested??
    Posted by bogie6

If you've followed the P-Bruins for any length of time then you've witnessed TT in the minors, doing two tours in Providence. While he holds the shutout record for the P-Bruins, he also provided some VERY SCARY moments during his tenure. It took a while for us to get used to him. Even then, he would do things that made me question his sanity, or even what game he was playing in. Bottom line: Let Timmy be, he's one of the best and a role model for every blue collar working fan out there. My only criticism is that he should NEVER, under any circumstances whatsoever, be allowed to handle the puck behind the net. EVER.

Sections
Shortcuts