Tampa Bay assistant: Bruins fans come for the fight and the hockey game is 2ndary

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Re: Tampa Bay assistant: Bruins fans come for the fight and the hockey game is 2ndary

I don't mind fighting (I'm a big advocate of once again allowing it in the women's game, like it was for the first 80 years that women played) but I prefer watching the artistry and strategy of the game. I appreciate a big hit or a Gordie Howe hatrick, but I'd rather watch a Dale Hawerchuk or Adam Oates type of player than a Shane Churla or a Kelly Chase type.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Re: Tampa Bay assistant: Bruins fans come for the fight and the hockey game is 2ndary

In Response to Re: Tampa Bay assistant: Bruins fans come for the fight and the hockey game is 2ndary:
    [QUOTE]I agree with getting rid of the cavemen with sticks.  Problem is some of these guys turn into decent players.  You can pretty much point out the obvious ones Boogieman-Scott-Parros-Shelley. But then a guy like Cartner and Prust come up and you gotta think twice.  Cartner isnt bad.  Prust is playing great.  Both known for fists and it is why they are in the league. It will never happen until fighting is completely gone. 
    Posted by shuperman[/QUOTE]

I am actually glad you mentioned Carkner. He is a decent third pairing D-man. Actually, so is Engellend from Pitts. Both paid their dues in the A and ar emore than just their fists...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Neecic. Show Neecic's posts

jmw, you may be able to add Mcquaid to that list soon

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In Response to Re: Tampa Bay assistant: Bruins fans come for the fight and the hockey game is 2ndary:
    [QUOTE]jmw, you may be able to add Mcquaid to that list soon
    Posted by Seabasshole[/QUOTE]

I agree. McQuaid is quietly having a fine season and was rewarded last night by being paired with Chara for a while. Good for him.

There is one difference between him and the other two however. McQuaid was a second round pick so the potential was always seen to be there for him. The other two were lucky to be drafted....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Neecic. Show Neecic's posts

good point, plus the other difference would be that mquaid is a player that can fight, the other 2 are fighters that can play.  My money would not be on mquaid in either of those tilts!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from number08. Show number08's posts

[QUOTE]What a jerk, Id love to beat him up!
    Posted by mattymcgee55[/QUOTE]

That is awesome, I'm with you!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

jmw,

I see McQuad with more talent than Cartner.  Engelland was another great example and there are more and thats why its hard to seperate the meat head goon from a true player.  Bottom line is that dmen have to be able to play the game.  Its much too fast for a team to have a clown playing defense.  Unless you wanna lose.  Cartner when partnered with the right guy is a solid addition.  I actually would much rather that type on my team over our own guy(thorton) b/c he gets his minutes of playing time and could be the current heavy weight champ. 

I mean you look at a guy like PJ Stock(who I played against when he played at St. FX).  He was a 2nd liner but was there b/c of his skill.  He had to fight to make it(short lived).  Hendricks in Washington this year knew the only way to stay in the league was to fight as much as he could.  Lets face it, Washington had a lot of guys that are grinders but not many drop the gloves(outside Bradley and John E-who is playing very well.)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

Well they lost 2 in a row and he is just frustrated.....hope they beat the habs ....well not so sure anymore now that we are 2nd overall...I'd love to see the BRUINS finish 1st in the conference....

Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011-2012-2013

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

[QUOTE]jmw, I see McQuad with more talent than Cartner.  Engelland was another great example and there are more and thats why its hard to seperate the meat head goon from a true player.  Bottom line is that dmen have to be able to play the game.  Its much too fast for a team to have a clown playing defense.  Unless you wanna lose.  Cartner when partnered with the right guy is a solid addition.  I actually would much rather that type on my team over our own guy(thorton) b/c he gets his minutes of playing time and could be the current heavy weight champ.  I mean you look at a guy like PJ Stock(who I played against when he played at St. FX).  He was a 2nd liner but was there b/c of his skill.  He had to fight to make it(short lived).  Hendricks in Washington this year knew the only way to stay in the league was to fight as much as he could.  Lets face it, Washington had a lot of guys that are grinders but not many drop the gloves(outside Bradley and John E-who is playing very well.)

Exactly Shupe. I think Seabasshole's response up there is perfect for this. "McQuaid is a player that can fight and the other two are fighters that can play".

Good info on Stock. I had no idea he could do more than use his head to stop fists. Some of his fights are legendary though, he is still remembered fondly by many...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerrynewyork. Show jerrynewyork's posts

well you know what,he might have a point. i was at the game and i actually heard booing in the 3rd period !  are you kidding me ?

here we have a team in 1st place won 6 in row on road(i was in Vancouver/Edmonton) and people are booing. but in the second during the fights the place went nuts,actually louder than when Lucic scored the goal. i brag to my New York friends how Boston is a hockey city,whether it's Bruins or college.
    now this game is only one example and i've never noticed it before. i've been coming to  games in Boston since the mid 80's. i guess when a team starts winning people expect perfection.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

[QUOTE]If my new defensive stud acquisition got his head handed to him like that, I'd probably say stupid things also.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

I didn't watch this game , can you elaborate ?
    Someone ?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerrynewyork. Show jerrynewyork's posts

[QUOTE]Gotta be honest..I sit up in the Cheap Seat because its all I can afford and as of Late since probably the Dallas game there are more people in the stands who are looking for "FIGHT NIGHT AT THE GARDEN" not a good hockey game...I really do not consider these meatheads hockey fans and they really do not know anything about the game....They are usually hammered as well. They do not pay attention to the game much until there is a big hit or fight. Pathetic if you ask me.
    Posted by rockett7[/QUOTE

good point. i should have mentioned that i sat upstairs(314) and as Lucic scored the goal there was a fight 2 rows below. and yes they were hammered.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

Did the same guy bother to mention the cheap hit his player laid on Kampfer leaving him with a mild concussion? Didn't think so...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

jmw,

Shelly played for Dalhouise when I was playing as well.  he was brutal.  he can't skate and he fought(which is an auto 3 game suspension)  and lost.  He couldnt skate.  I was mr. stayathome dman but he was brutal.  Stock was a chippy player but played a lot and was fast.  Engelland also played CIS for Alberta.  Boyce (Leafs) with UNB. 
    Playing junior I played against Bonvie and while with the AHL was visiting Fredericton.  He had buddies on the team I played for and after his pre-game skate was joking how he is in the NHL HOF for scoring the 1st AHL allstar game goal.  And then following up by saying-not bad for someone who can't skate backwards. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Neecic. Show Neecic's posts

kampfer hit looked good and clean to me, small d men get rocked sometimes, it happens.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoveTheBruins. Show LoveTheBruins's posts

Fighting is part of the game.  Love to watch them and the Bruins clearly play better when they do fight.

The people that claim they would watch more hockey if the fights were gone are full of it. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

[QUOTE]jmw, I see McQuad with more talent than Cartner.  Engelland was another great example and there are more and thats why its hard to seperate the meat head goon from a true player.  Bottom line is that dmen have to be able to play the game.  Its much too fast for a team to have a clown playing defense.  Unless you wanna lose.  Cartner when partnered with the right guy is a solid addition.  I actually would much rather that type on my team over our own guy(thorton) b/c he gets his minutes of playing time and could be the current heavy weight champ.  I mean you look at a guy like PJ Stock(who I played against when he played at St. FX).  He was a 2nd liner but was there b/c of his skill.  He had to fight to make it(short lived).  Hendricks in Washington this year knew the only way to stay in the league was to fight as much as he could.  Lets face it, Washington had a lot of guys that are grinders but not many drop the gloves(outside Bradley and John E-who is playing very well.)

Funny you brought up PJ last night.  After my game I went to a local pub with the guys and guess who was there ? None other than PJ Stock.  I was at the bar ordering some beers and was going to talk to him right after but lost him in the shuffle.  He might have left early. Too bad because word is he's still a big Bruins fan.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

[QUOTE]jmw, Shelly played for Dalhouise when I was playing as well.  he was brutal.  he can't skate and he fought(which is an auto 3 game suspension)  and lost.  He couldnt skate.  I was mr. stayathome dman but he was brutal.  Stock was a chippy player but played a lot and was fast.  Engelland also played CIS for Alberta.  Boyce (Leafs) with UNB.  Playing junior I played against Bonvie and while with the AHL was visiting Fredericton.  He had buddies on the team I played for and after his pre-game skate was joking how he is in the NHL HOF for scoring the 1st AHL allstar game goal.  And then following up by saying-not bad for someone who can't skate backwards. 

Excellent story. Thanks for this. Somehow I am not surprised Bonvie could not skate backwards as it does not inlcude punching something....lol!!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

He may have a point about SOME fans... in EVERY arena... but I guess I wonder what he would say if we asked him if the few fans that show up for Tampa games come  for the diving first and the hockey second?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

[QUOTE]He may have a point about SOME fans... in EVERY arena... but I guess I wonder what he would say if we asked him if the few fans that show up for Tampa games come  for the diving first and the hockey second?
    Posted by SoxFanInIL[/QUOTE]

SoxFan - That is brilliant!  I think the GM's comments are misguided when his roster includes noted nutter, Steve Downie.  Wasn't it Downie, then a Flyer, who obliterated Dean McCammon (I think) some seasons ago by literally launching himself at the Sen player as he came around his own net?  I doubt he'd have anything to say had his club won.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

I'd love to have Downie. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from callodthedom19. Show callodthedom19's posts

[QUOTE]I'd love to have Downie. 
    Controversial Shupe!!! I would love to have him as well if I knew he could control himself. I just don't know if he can.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Callo-

Downie is a skilled player and yes he makes runs at people and he does cross the lines at times.  But he was also labelled before he got here.  He is a guy that has gone through a lot and still continues on.  Is he gonna make a bone head play from time to time?  Likely!  But the positives in his game out weigh the negatives.  The fact he plays on TBay's top line tells me something. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]Callo- Downie is a skilled player and yes he makes runs at people and he does cross the lines at times.  But he was also labelled before he got here.  He is a guy that has gone through a lot and still continues on.  Is he gonna make a bone head play from time to time?  Likely!  But the positives in his game out weigh the negatives.  The fact he plays on TBay's top line tells me something. 

Downie, minus the REAL stupid stuff (see: Downie McAmmond) is a Bruin.