Targets with Freed Up Cap Space

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

Targets with Freed Up Cap Space

Have heard Iginla's name for the last couple of years.  I am thinking about 2 players that I think would fit nicely on the 3rd line.  Both of them have been healthy scratches this week, but can be difference makers when then want to be.  Dustin Penner and Brian Boyle.  Either one of these guys brings size to that 3rd line and both could be used on the PP to park in front of the crease.  I don't think it would take a roster player to get one of them in a trade, thus not messing with the current chemistry.  Who would you like to have?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Re: Targets with Freed Up Cap Space

If Stephen Weiss is indeed available, I want him on the 3rd line. Perfect to compliment Peverley's speed, Weiss burys his chances and his contract is expiring. Tough though because So many teams are with in 2 or 3 points of an 8th spot. Teams like Florida have to get in because of the revenue needed for a small market.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruinsGENIUS. Show bruinsGENIUS's posts

O'Rielly or Neidermister.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

In response to bruinsGENIUS' comment:

O'Rielly or Neidermister.

O'Rielly wants 5 for $25, not sure he is worth that kind of dough?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

O'Reilly is holding out for big dough, plus the Avs would want a major piece for him.  He was their leading scorer and best player last year and he's very young.  Everyone wants him.

Same with Neiderieter, way too expensive.  The Isles would want Hamilton.

Penner is notoriously inconsistent and bounces around teams with a very uneven effort.  Not sure he would help.

Boyle, another center...I'd prefer a winger and someone who's not just a 3rd/4th liner.

Weiss is a good choice to me.  He's a center but certainly has the speed and ability to play wing.

Ryan Jones in Edmonton is another option.  I love his play and he could easily get squeezed out amid the glut of young potential stars there.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

If Stephen Weiss is indeed available, I want him on the 3rd line. Perfect to compliment Peverley's speed, Weiss burys his chances and his contract is expiring. Tough though because So many teams are with in 2 or 3 points of an 8th spot. Teams like Florida have to get in because of the revenue needed for a small market.

I'll take Weiss. Also, Morrow has been mentioned. I'd have no problem slipping either of them on the left wing..If your Stephen Weiss though, you gotta get the heck out of there.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Anybody.  Everybody.  Problem is that this is nothing more than informed wishing at this point - we have no sense of who might be available at what price or when because we're not even at the 1/4 pole of a 48 game season.  Feaster has said his preference is to keep Iginla, and the Flames are notorious for starting slowly, so once they get their legs - and they won their last two to pass the Kings in the standings - they may need to keep him around.  Jones might get squeezed for playing time, but he wouldn't get more time in Boston.  Weiss, if Florida moves him, will cost a fair amount because his contract is reasonable and he's a kid in his prime.  Makes Chris Kelly money.  He's a 60 point player on a top line, but who knows what he's worth on a third line.

Fletch's idea of thinking about upgrading at the top of the roster is interesting (i.e. not just a 3rd or 4th liner) if we're talking about a hockey move that would require taking on salary.  Anaheim's doing really well right now, but they still have to find money for both Perry and Getzlaf.  You could think about a move for Perry if you think the leverage is right - that is, they need to move him and others are low-balling them.  A deal that offers Marchand - sort of Perry lite - gives the Ducks a guy who's cheaper than Perry and already signed for the next four years.

Right now, that's the only opportunity I see for a big move that makes sense.  Everything else, I don't see why the other team would make the move unless Boston was making a ridiculous offer.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

I'll take Weiss. Also, Morrow has been mentioned. I'd have no problem slipping either of them on the left wing..If your Stephen Weiss though, you gotta get the heck out of there.

1. Tallon and PC already have worked some great trades together.

2. Weiss is not re-upping in Florida (is what i've heard).

3. Expiring contract BUENO!

4. Perfect compliment for Peverley or maybe even the 2nd line.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

Anybody.  Everybody.  Problem is that this is nothing more than informed wishing at this point - we have no sense of who might be available at what price or when because we're not even at the 1/4 pole of a 48 game season.  Feaster has said his preference is to keep Iginla, and the Flames are notorious for starting slowly, so once they get their legs - and they won their last two to pass the Kings in the standings - they may need to keep him around.  Jones might get squeezed for playing time, but he wouldn't get more time in Boston.  Weiss, if Florida moves him, will cost a fair amount because his contract is reasonable and he's a kid in his prime.  Makes Chris Kelly money.  He's a 60 point player on a top line, but who knows what he's worth on a third line.

Fletch's idea of thinking about upgrading at the top of the roster is interesting (i.e. not just a 3rd or 4th liner) if we're talking about a hockey move that would require taking on salary.  Anaheim's doing really well right now, but they still have to find money for both Perry and Getzlaf.  You could think about a move for Perry if you think the leverage is right - that is, they need to move him and others are low-balling them.  A deal that offers Marchand - sort of Perry lite - gives the Ducks a guy who's cheaper than Perry and already signed for the next four years.

Right now, that's the only opportunity I see for a big move that makes sense.  Everything else, I don't see why the other team would make the move unless Boston was making a ridiculous offer.

Don't you think Edmonton will be moving guys though?  Hemsky has to be on the market this year unless the Oilers are in solid playoff contention.  Ryan Jones is good enough to play on a 2nd line, in my opinion, but it can't happen in Edmonton.  He did really well last year (17-16-33) without ever getting big minutes or PP time there.

And how many smallish uber-talented, finesse-y future stars can you have?  Hall, Eberle, Yakapov, Gagner, RNH, Paajarvi, Lander, Petrell, Omark...someone's gotta go.  Still widly speculative (that's the fun of it) but Edmonton has to be a target. 

And lest I get corrected, I'm not saying I want all of these guys, but someone good might be available.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Anybody.  Everybody.  Problem is that this is nothing more than informed wishing at this point - we have no sense of who might be available at what price or when because we're not even at the 1/4 pole of a 48 game season.  

That's the reason I threw out Boyle & Penner, as they both have been healthy scratches.  Penner had a very good playoff run and on a veteran team like the B's, their iffluence should help with his lapses in "want to".  It's going to be fun watching how it all plays out.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

Can't stand Boyle, Penner is an enigma & if we're going after the likes of him, I'd rather have Ryder. Weiss, Hemsky, Jones all sound good to me. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:

Can't stand Boyle, Penner is an enigma & if we're going after the likes of him, I'd rather have Ryder. Weiss, Hemsky, Jones all sound good to me. 

From your list I would take Weiss or Hemsky. Ryder is past nostalgia and Jones is really a marginal 3rd liner on a weak team (yes, I have seen him play on many occasions).

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

2 times penner has raised his level of play in the playoffs.  Penner has decent wheels for a big guy.  I'd be more then ok with grabbing him for he 3rd line.  He also is good in front on the pp.  I think he's a god idea.  Boyle won't be traded to a playoff rival. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:

From your list I would take Weiss or Hemsky. Ryder is past nostalgia and Jones is really a marginal 3rd liner on a weak team (yes, I have seen him play on many occasions).

I'd take hemsky for the sheer fact he can set up a pp.  he has magic hands.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:

2 times penner has raised his level of play in the playoffs.  Penner has decent wheels for a big guy.  I'd be more then ok with grabbing him for he 3rd line.  He also is good in front on the pp.  I think he's a god idea.  Boyle won't be traded to a playoff rival. 

The thing is we already have two superior versions of Penner in Lucic and Horton. I would go for pure skill that can backcheck and help the PP.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Exactly......the only catch is he is signed for next year too whereas Weiss is not.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Exactly......the only catch is he is signed for next year too whereas Weiss is not.

Hemsky is better pure offence and won't cost as much as Weiss.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

For those saying it is too early for trades, not so much, another today!  Ellerby to Kings.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Hemsky is better pure offence and won't cost as much as Weiss.  

He is set to make $5.5 mill next season. I don't think Weiss would be that much if PC would want to re-sign him

http://stats.nhlnumbers.com/teams/EDM?year=2013

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ProudBruinsfan. Show ProudBruinsfan's posts

In response to MeanE's comment:

For those saying it is too early for trades, not so much, another today!  Ellerby to Kings.

LA gave a 5th round pick for a 1st round pick , 10th overall ...unreal !

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Curious why you say that?  Not that it is wrong, just curious what you're seeing.  Since his call up from minors he has consistently gotten better, he scored 17 goals from the 3rd line without a lot of ice time on a bad team, and the coaches were raving about him by the end of last year.  I think the only thing that is marginal is that he's stuck on the 3rd/4th line behind a lot of talent.  17 goals in that position could translate to a lot more on a better line with more ice time.  He hits well, forechecks hard, and fights on occasion.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Why not take a look at Kovalev? Slot him on the 3rd line, have him play the half boards on the PP...Not as good as he once was, but if the PP continues to falter, I don't see how he'd make it worse. Healthy scratch last couple of games, and I know, if he's a healthy scratch on a team like Florida, what can he do for the Bruins...If he's around better players, and you could squeeze out of him what little hockey he has left, he could help.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:

Curious why you say that?  Not that it is wrong, just curious what you're seeing.  Since his call up from minors he has consistently gotten better, he scored 17 goals from the 3rd line without a lot of ice time on a bad team, and the coaches were raving about him by the end of last year.  I think the only thing that is marginal is that he's stuck on the 3rd/4th line behind a lot of talent.  17 goals in that position could translate to a lot more on a better line with more ice time.  He hits well, forechecks hard, and fights on occasion.

Hi Fletch:

Yes, stats-wise he has consistently produced a bit more each year but I think he vastly overachieved last season  as the Oilers gave him plenty of action on their first three lines due to various team injuries. He is a decent checker, high-energy, and goes in the dirty areas.

The thing is, he does not do anything particularily well. Yet, since he has overachieved the last couple of years his next contract will undoubtably be overinflated. A good comparison is Joel Ward in Washington. Good fourth liner but not at $3.5 million. On a decent team he is on the third line or (ideally) a fourth line energy guy. Do not expect a repeat performance offensively from him long term.

Just my opinion.

Cheers

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:

Why not take a look at Kovalev? Slot him on the 3rd line, have him play the half boards on the PP...Not as good as he once was, but if the PP continues to falter, I don't see how he'd make it worse. Healthy scratch last couple of games, and I know, if he's a healthy scratch on a team like Florida, what can he do for the Bruins...If he's around better players, and you could squeeze out of him what little hockey he has left, he could help.

kovalev might not be a bad idea.  Super cheap re cap. And likely would cost a late pick.  I'd take him.  For all his flaws his offence is amazing.