Team toughness-- a numeric comparison

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsFanInPenTerritory. Show BruinsFanInPenTerritory's posts

Team toughness-- a numeric comparison

I have a pile of work I should be doing but the Bruins come first. Like a lot of fellow delusional posters, I dream of the Bruins making a big trade (come on down Jerome Iginla!). But I am more of a stats guy myself, so I compared the Bruins against two teams from the East and two teams from the West that are higher up in the standings: Philly, Tampa, Detroit, and Vancouver. What I found:
    • Philly is fifth overall in the league with 747 penalty minutes and 31 fighting majors. Boston is eleventh in the league with 631 penalty minutes and 43 fighting majors (the fighting majors are by far the most of the five teams I considered). Vancouver and Tampa are in the lower third of the league in terms of PIMs and Detroit is dead last.
    • Another measure of team toughness should be how well they do in tough games-- i.e., one-goal games. The Bruins may be tallying up the PIMS and fighting majors but this doesn't look good: Tampa has the best winning percentage in the entire league in 1-goal-games at .680, followed by Philly at .591% (sixth in the league), Detroit at .565% (ninth in the league), Vancouver at .458% (18th in the league) and Boston with a .421 winning percentage in one-goal games (8 wins total, good for 25th in the league).
    Things could be worse, we could support the Canucks, who rank near the bottom in both categories. However, this suggests that for all of the complaining that occurs about the Bruins' willigness to fight, we are up there. Basically, the Bruins are racking up the penalties and fights but when push comes to shove ... it doesn't bode well for the playoffs.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from nrguy. Show nrguy's posts

Re: Team toughness-- a numeric comparison

Great jump, I think this data proves that the Bs won't make it past the 1st round. Winning percentage don't matter anymore and it's all about your record in one goal games..........even when you pot an empty netter or blow out some teams, don't count those games because those were "soft" wins and not indicative of what happens in the playoffs.

Good job not letting your opinions get in the way of good research........

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsFanInPenTerritory. Show BruinsFanInPenTerritory's posts

Thanks nrguy. You make a lot of sense, I think it could be a 1 and done playoff run this year. We shall see what happens.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Team toughness-- a numeric comparison:
    [QUOTE]Great jump, I think this data proves that the Bs won't make it past the 1st round. Winning percentage don't matter anymore and it's all about your record in one goal games..........even when you pot an empty netter or blow out some teams, don't count those games because those were "soft" wins and not indicative of what happens in the playoffs. Good job not letting your opinions get in the way of good research........
    Posted by nrguy[/QUOTE]
    I don't think the data "proves" anything.How can scoring into an empty net be considered a "soft win"?I remember the last time we played(and lost)against Montreal.A missed empty net was the difference between a win and a loss.Do teams not pull their goalie in the playoffs?What am I missing from your argument?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I appreciate the research, but I don't think it tells us much either.  I don't think that a teams record in 1 goal games has anything to do with 'team toughness'.  It has a lot more to do with the ability to score and the ability to hang onto a lead...team defense, goaltending, etc.

The Avs win a lot of games 6-5 or 5-4, largely because they stink of defense and have suspect goaltending, along with a wide open system offensively and d-men who always jump into the play.  That isn't toughness.

Not to mention Dez's point about empty netters -- if the Bruins score an empty netter with 10 sceonds left, was the game no longer a "tough" one?

I would say that hits per game might be an even better measure of team toughness than PIMs.  Bad, sloppy teams take a lot of penalties.  Tough teams hit and forecheck consistently.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

i'll take disciplined over tough any day...the team that surrenders the fewest goals is usually the most disciplined. that would be the bruins. it doesn't hurt they have the leagues best goalie also. how do the wings win if they are such wimps-they are disciplined-and play their system- i have no idea what this one goal nonsense is supposed to mean 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsFanInPenTerritory. Show BruinsFanInPenTerritory's posts

Eh, I just wanted to generate a discussion with something other than Eklund's rumors. I think these stats, though, reveal a potential problem with this team. Last night's victory over the Canes was solid, and the type of game the Bruins will need to get past last year's debacle against Philly.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

One goal games aren't necessarily tough games and tough games aren't necessarily one goal games.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from siestafiesta. Show siestafiesta's posts

I agree with some of the other posters who don't really see a cause - effect relationship with some of the stats you're quoting.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

Pts   G/gm   GAA/gm  +/-     Hits         Pmins      Majors

1Van  32-10-9 73   3.28-3  2.29-3   47-1   1170-12    604-20    24-19th
    2Philly  33-3-5  71  3.39-1  2.57-9   40-4   1119-17    751-6      33-12
    3TB     32-15-5 69  2.94-9  2.92-21  4-13  937-29      573-22     15-27
    5Det   30-13-6  66  3.35-2  2.88-17  13-6  1060-22    442-29      8-30
    7Bos   29-15-7  65  3.02-6  2.14-1   41-2   1122-16    672-11    44-6

Only Van and Bos would make the playoffs if it was on Hits being in top 16, Pmins and majors would only be Phi and Bos.

Boston brings a team toughness comparable or better than those others and are also in the top in the main categories such as scoring and defence and winning.
                 En
    24Van        3
    7Philly        7
    20TB         4
    10Det         5
    3Bos          8

Bos leads in EN goals I would say that makes their mental fortitude or toughness is better at getting the job done and putting the game away.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

GOAT investigatin and backin it up with stats good on yah.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsFanInPenTerritory. Show BruinsFanInPenTerritory's posts

Nice job GOAT, Ii think your stuff shows a sense that I overlooked. I concede.

As I mentioned, at least we're not debating the same re-tread trade rumors.

Sections
Shortcuts