Team USA Needs New GM

1. This post has been removed.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Re: Team USA Needs New GM

While I think Bobby Ryan and Okposo may have provided more offensive punch, nobody was complaining about the roster after the first three games.  I think this comes down to failure in execution, in many ways, so I have no problem pointing the finger at Bylsma for some of it.  Reminds me of the star-laden Pens getting dominated by the Bruins.

I don't think there is too much blame to go around on the Canada game.  Canada played so well and just looked better to me, despite a strong effort from the Americans.  But getting worked by Finland and the failure to score once in their last two games is awful.  A failure from top to bottom.

I would say that Bylsma was out-strategized, among other problems.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

It's easy to second guess.  But, what stood out to me the most is their systems.  Penguins/Blackhawks style hockey is losing hockey in the Olympics.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

I don't think that the NHL is going to let the players play again. If however the NHL Board of Governors are somehow locked in a dungeon during the vote by Walsinhgham or Beckett. I would want Stan Bowman to make the personnel decisions without Shero, Poile, or Burke being involved.

Taking Wheeler over Ryan then stapling Blake to the bench is where I have a huge problem with the US selection committee in the 1st place. Why bring Wheeler over Ryan if you have no intention of playing Blake ? Bylsma couldn't adjust to the hybrid-trap whatsoever. Orpik and/or Martin over Yandle another complete joke with Shero's hand prints all over it.

I just hope that the OHL, Colleges and AHL clubs will release good players to play in 2018. I wouldn't think they would have any problem with it, they haven't in the past.

All HAIL Brian Burke peeling back the curtain!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

If the NHL won't go back, then they should dredge up Father David Bauer's old plan, dust it off, and have an actual formal full-time national team leading up to the games. Same thing for the States - get an actual team together a year ahead of time like Brooks did.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Look how having a team together for a period of time has worked out for the US during the U20 and U18 tournaments. I'm pretty convinced the NHL has made up there mind, they are not going back.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from biggskye. Show biggskye's posts

I don't see that the Americans losing today, being a big deal. Their Olympics, for all intense purposes, ended yesterday.

I have no doubt that Canada would not have fared any better today, against the Finns.

The Americans and Canadians have the same mindset. Anything other than Gold, means you lost.

The Bronze medal is a big deal to Finland, and the entire team was motivated. The US players were all wishing they were on a plane, heading home.

In all the games that mattered, the American players performed well. They have nothing to be ashamed of.

There is no reason to start up the blame game.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In response to biggskye's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I don't see that the Americans losing today, being a big deal. Their Olympics, for all intense purposes, ended yesterday.

I have no doubt that Canada would not have fared any better today, against the Finns.

The Americans and Canadians have the same mindset. Anything other than Gold, means you lost.

The Bronze medal is a big deal to Finland, and the entire team was motivated. The US players were all wishing they were on a plane, heading home.

In all the games that mattered, the American players performed well. They have nothing to be ashamed of.

[/QUOTE]

yup I remember Nagano. Canada lost to these same Finns and Selanne was there.

That team in Nagano was supposed to be Canada's dream team.  It's gold or nothing.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Look how having a team together for a period of time has worked out for the US during the U20 and U18 tournaments. I'm pretty convinced the NHL has made up there mind, they are not going back.

[/QUOTE]

I don't know if they need to go back to amateurs though. Why not get some cash together, spend three years talking to players who may not be on contract in 2018 yet, and also scout the AHL and SEL and other leagues for guys who'd be willing to play for their country, and then put an actual team together. Have them play exhibitions against anyone and everyone.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from days-of-Orr. Show days-of-Orr's posts

In response to BsLegion's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to biggskye's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

yup I remember Nagano. Canada lost to these same Finns and Selanne was there.

That team in Nagano was supposed to be Canada's dream team.  It's gold or nothing.

[/QUOTE]

it's like Craig Simpson said that nhlers, notably North Americans, are programmed to win top prize, nothing less....  like he said,  in the nhl, teams that lose out during conference finals don't then play each other for third place....  europeans are bred differently....

US has nothing to be shamed about, it was two goals away from playing for gold....

Canada won't be any happier if all it comes away with, God forbid, is silver....

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

[QUOTE]

ITaking Wheeler over Ryan then stapling Blake to the bench is where I have a huge problem with the US selection committee in the 1st place. Why bring Wheeler over Ryan if you have no intention of playing Blake ? Bylsma couldn't adjust to the hybrid-trap whatsoever. Orpik and/or Martin over Yandle another complete joke with Shero's hand prints all over it.

All HAIL Brian Burke peeling back the curtain!

[/QUOTE]

Thats the question right there,why pick Wheeler if your not going to play him.Yandle would have been better than both Orprick or Martin,looks good on Bylsma & Shero.Burke,well i'm sure he'll have some hot air to blow off. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from days-of-Orr. Show days-of-Orr's posts

hard to use all your players....  you're already cutting back the time of those that you're playing....

i don't think St. Louis stepped on the ice at all in yesterday's game....

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to red75's comment:[QUOTE] Look how having a team together for a period of time has worked out for the US during the U20 and U18 tournaments. I'm pretty convinced the NHL has made up there mind, they are not going back.[/QUOTE]

I don't know if they need to go back to amateurs though. Why not get some cash together, spend three years talking to players who may not be on contract in 2018 yet, and also scout the AHL and SEL and other leagues for guys who'd be willing to play for their country, and then put an actual team together. Have them play exhibitions against anyone and everyone. [/QUOTE]

I think the USHL has been doing this, we know the Spengler cup is awesome. I just don't know how each AHL team GM will feel about it if the NHL doesn't participate. NHL owners and GMs have influence on their affiliates.

The KHL and other European leagues won't have a a problem letting their players go play though. There seasons aren't as long. The money that NHL loses will be a major factor. I think it has already been decided, especially after Tavares.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to days-of-Orr's comment:[QUOTE]

hard to use all your players....  you're already cutting back the time of those that you're playing....

i don't think St. Louis stepped on the ice at all in yesterday's game....[/QUOTE]

But I would have more confidence in Babcock or Laviolette making those choices. At least you have Yandle and Ryan there, to at least have that choice of who gets fed more minutes. 

Simpleton Poile got out flanked by Burke and Shero.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from days-of-Orr. Show days-of-Orr's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to days-of-Orr's comment:[QUOTE]

i don't think St. Louis stepped on the ice at all in yesterday's game....[/QUOTE]

But I would have more confidence in Babcock or Laviolette making those choices. At least you have Yandle and Ryan there, to at least have that choice of who gets fed more minutes. 

Simpleton Poile got out flanked by Burke and Shero.

[/QUOTE]

i think the offense was well-rounded but don't understand not picking Yandle....

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In the most (only?) meaningful game of the Olympics, the US lost by one goal.

Yeah, utter failure.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from CubanPete. Show CubanPete's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

In the most (only?) meaningful game of the Olympics, the US lost by one goal.

Yeah, utter failure.

I saw the game. It wasn't as close as the 1-0 score indicated. Canada completely dominated. Not only did they shut out the USA, but had several blown chances. Meanwhile Canada controlled the NZ and primarily kept the puck in the USA end. That said, there's no way Orpick should have been on the team. That, and failing to show up against Findland, that's all on the coach.

Bottom Line: failure to get any medals is epic fail.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to CubanPete's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I saw the game. It wasn't as close as the 1-0 score indicated. Canada completely dominated. Not only did they shut out the USA, but had several blown chances. Meanwhile Canada controlled the NZ and primarily kept the puck in the USA end. That said, there's no way Orpick should have been on the team. That, and failing to show up against Findland, that's all on the coach.

[/QUOTE]

It's not on the coach.  Those aren't his players.  Do you think Ryan Suter cares what Dan Bylsma thinks?

As for the rest of what you said, it doesn't matter.  It was a one goal game.  If Canada controls 59:30 of the game and in one 30 second span the US gets two, it's good.  No team ever won a game by controlling the neutral zone.  They don't award any points for that.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Team Finland average age: 29

Team USA average age: 27

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucdufour. Show lucdufour's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Median might work better since Selanne (The Yoda of hockey) is about 400 years old. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to lucdufour's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to kelvana33's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Median might work better since Selanne (The Yoda of hockey) is about 400 years old. 

[/QUOTE]

Can still snipe and if he were selling his wheels, there would be a line of 20 something year old NHLers out the door.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to CubanPete's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

It's not on the coach.  Those aren't his players.  Do you think Ryan Suter cares what Dan Bylsma thinks?

As for the rest of what you said, it doesn't matter.  It was a one goal game.  If Canada controls 59:30 of the game and in one 30 second span the US gets two, it's good.  No team ever won a game by controlling the neutral zone.  They don't award any points for that.

[/QUOTE]

I want to say that too, especially because it's a such a short time they have together, but then San points out how he fails to make adjustments, much like the Pittsbugh series last year when they couldnt score. I'm on the fence about that, for those reasons, argument could be made either way. I certainly didn't see a problem in his coaching the first 3 games. I thought they looked great, and the forwards seemed to have great chemistry, especially the Callahan/Backes/Brown line.

One thing though, they had alot of returning players from 2010, does anyone know if Ron Wilson was asked to coach and turned it down or wasnt asked? I don't think we ever touched on that here.