Team USA Needs New GM

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pauly1. Show pauly1's posts

Re: Team USA Needs New GM

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

In response to pauly1's comment:

This is just my post Olympic stop by. After reading on here how the usa hockey team is going to steam roll canada  I just couldn't resist sticking by for a laugh.  Bottom right hand corner has a little option called ignore it's there for anybody that wants to use it.

Why would anyone want to ignore you.  Since backup-goaler has left us, you're about all we have for comic relief.  I personally wish you'd post more.

Hey nas lets play trivia. What Country has won 7 of the last 8 Olympic gold medals in hockey?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pauly1. Show pauly1's posts

This is just my post Olympic stop by. After reading on here how the usa hockey team is going to steam roll canada  I just couldn't resist sticking by for a laugh.  Bottom right hand corner has a little option called ignore it's there for anybody that wants to use it.

Why would anyone want to ignore you.  Since backup-goaler has left us, you're about all we have for comic relief.  I personally wish you'd post more.

Hey nas lets play trivia. What Country has won 7 of the last 8 Olympic gold medals in hockey?

Okay so u don't want to here it.  CANADA CANADA CANADA

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Okay so u don't want to here it.  CANADA CANADA CANADA

I don't want to where it?

Wait, 7 of the last 8.  Are you counting Chick Stick-n-Puck?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I'm Canadian and we are the hockey SUPER POWER and i like to bring that up once in awhile and that doesn't fly here.

If Canada is the hockey super power, why hasn't a team in that country won the Stanley Cup in 20 years?

NHL - greatest hockey league

Stanley Cup Winner - greatest hockey team that year

USA - most Stanley Cups, including a current 20 year run

Nice job winning the gold medal, Canada.  Too bad you can't win a Cup.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pauly1. Show pauly1's posts

I'm Canadian and we are the hockey SUPER POWER and i like to bring that up once in awhile and that doesn't fly here.

If Canada is the hockey super power, why hasn't a team in that country won the Stanley Cup in 20 years?

U cant be serious can u? Are u that clueless?  No wonder i lost interest here. U stupid ---k there almost all Canadian players that won your cups.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pauly1. Show pauly1's posts

U cant be serious can u? Are u that clueless?  No wonder i lost interest here. U stupid ---k there almost all Canadian players that won your cups.

Canada is the hockey super power and the usa is the bridesmaid.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pauly1. Show pauly1's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Sorry pauly, gonna have to make you eat this sandwich again.

http://boston.com/community/forums/sports/bruins/on-the-front-burner/lock-out-will-likely-make-junior-tourny-boring/100/6390616

How's that taste?  Again...

Cool

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

Canada is the hockey super power and the usa is the bridesmaid.

As much as Canadians take pride in their hockey lineage...they're equally proud of their humility and understatedness.

Quit trying to fek that up Pauly. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

If Canada is the hockey superpower, why doesn't it have any teams that have won a Cup in the past 20 years?  Longstanding clubs like Montreal, Toronto, and Calgary have continued to fail while start up teams in the US like Carolina, Anaheim, Dallas and Tampa have all had parades.

After the age of 27, a player without a contract can choose where he plays.  Why do the best players keep choosing to play hockey in the US when Canada is the supposed superpower?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Double Double

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from marco0863. Show marco0863's posts

"Canada is the hockey super power, why hasn't a team in that country won the Stanley Cup in 20 year"

This is a common statement among those who don't follow hockey too much

- only 6 teams in canada -  20% chance 

- that has absolutely nothing to do with a country supremacy. Nhl composed of 60% canadian players

Btw- the % of canadian players was even higher 20years ago. It has been going down though. Us born players are increasing which is nice too see and ofcourse europeans too. I.e. esp russia

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from marco0863. Show marco0863's posts

After the age of 27, a player without a contract can choose where he plays.  Why do the best players keep choosing to play hockey in the US when Canada is the supposed superpower?"

You gotto b kidding?

First off ottawa edm cal vanc - not big mkts - vanc little bigger then those but not big mkt .there are 80%

Us based teams do of course likekihood much higher to sign with a US team

Mtl & tor do their share of signings and tor can sign anyone. 

US IS becoming a stronger hockey nation but still not at canada level. If quebec could ger act straight and produce more quebec born players then Canada would be much greater force . 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Montreal would be a cornerstone of the superpower of hockey right?

They won't even name a Canadian captain anymore. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/05/31/why-cant-canada-win-the-stanley-cup/?_php=true&_type=blogs&_r=0

I've shared this before but it's a fantastic analysis of Canada's Cup woes by statistician supreme Nate Silver.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In response to marco0863's comment:

US IS becoming a stronger hockey nation but still not at canada level. If quebec could ger act straight and produce more quebec born players then Canada would be much greater force . 

I'm actually not sure that the US is becoming stronger in terms of producing hockey talent at the NHL level.  I think they've stayed about the same.  Not sure that the current period can match the American-born influx of the late-80's early 90's (Tkachuk, Modano, Leetch, Chelios, Amonte, Roenick, Housley, etc, etc).

As youth/high school sports have become more and more about chossing one sport instead of playing three or four, America's best athletes still rarely choose hockey.  As anyone knows, it is less about how many kids get in youth hockey programs, and more about getting the best athletes there and then having them choose hockey as their passion.  Every American kid plays soocer when they're under 10.  Then all the good athletes choose other sports.  

Seems like in Canada all of the best athletes want to be hockey players.  In the vast majority of the US, kids don't play hockey.  Maybe in Massachusetts or Minnesota, some of the best athletes play hockey, but even at my high school (Mass.) it seemed like the best athletes largely chose other sports (football, basketball, baseball).

I think that will continue to be an advantage for Canada and cause a talent disparity.  The US is big enough to produce some real good players and have a shot at the international level, but the American public is never going to care about things like the WJC, and I think the sport will continue to get a very small percentage of good athletes who decide to dedicate their lives to hockey. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

2010 U20 US Gold Medal team

http://worldjuniors.usahockey.com/page/show/705385-team-usa-roster

2013 U20 US Gold Medal Team

http://worldjuniors.usahockey.com/page/show/768438-2013-u-s-national-junior-team-roster

I'm very pleased with what US Hockey Development is churning out these past few years. It's getting better and better. I know the US players from the 96' World Cup team had better NHL careers but the jury is still out on these young kids that now are a threat to medal in the U20 and U18 Tournaments every time out now.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from marco0863. Show marco0863's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:

In response to marco0863's comment:

I'm actually not sure that the US is becoming stronger in terms of producing hockey talent at the NHL level.  I think they've stayed about the same.  Not sure that the current period can match the American-born influx of the late-80's early 90's (Tkachuk, Modano, Leetch, Chelios, Amonte, Roenick, Housley, etc, etc).

As youth/high school sports have become more and more about chossing one sport instead of playing three or four, America's best athletes still rarely choose hockey.  As anyone knows, it is less about how many kids get in youth hockey programs, and more about getting the best athletes there and then having them choose hockey as their passion.  Every American kid plays soocer when they're under 10.  Then all the good athletes choose other sports.  

Seems like in Canada all of the best athletes want to be hockey players.  In the vast majority of the US, kids don't play hockey.  Maybe in Massachusetts or Minnesota, some of the best athletes play hockey, but even at my high school (Mass.) it seemed like the best athletes largely chose other sports (football, basketball, baseball).

I think that will continue to be an advantage for Canada and cause a talent disparity.  The US is big enough to produce some real good players and have a shot at the international level, but the American public is never going to care about things like the WJC, and I think the sport will continue to get a very small percentage of good athletes who decide to dedicate their lives to hockey. 

Actually youth hockey  registration in USa is steadily increasing. Keep in mind europe esp with russia makes it more difficult. There's certainly much more potential in Usa  . Would like to see more players from calif , wisconsin Texas illinois etc.. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

From a 2012 Globe and Mail article on youth hockey registrants:

"Over the past decade, hockey registrations in the United States have risen each year but one – they slipped, not surprisingly, following the previous NHL lockout – and now stand at 511,378. That is not far from the 580,000 registrants Hockey Canada expects this year, a figure that is at best flat and at worst slipping among males as the numbers have benefited greatly from the rising popularity of women’s hockey."

USA's hockey numbers are going up, Canada's are going down -that should lead to greater parity at some point.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Again, my point is not so much about the numbers of players.  Millions and millions of US kids play soccer when they're young.  But it just isn't a big part of the culture as they get older so A) the best athletes choose other sports and B) kids play it casually instead of dedicating themselves to it.  After the youth level it is a fringe sport.  So despite 100 times as many youth players as a country like Scotland, they produce pro players at about the same rate.

I think USA Hockey has done a great job too, and at the junior level they seem to be on par with everyone, but I still think they are held back by the cultural irrelevance of the sport in most of the country.  To find a top notch athelete in the US who wants to dedicate themselves to hockey (like, leave their friends at 16 and live with a billet family in Saskatoon) is alarmingly rare and unique.  Most Americans wouldn't even hear of it.  In hockey mad Canada it seems like part of the culture -- play hockey, try to make a junior team, go as far as you can.

Not saying all Canadian kids will sacrifice their youth to be a hockey star, but among the best athletes in the country a higher proportion may go that route.  In America, they're playing football.

Not making excuses for the US either, who have the population and wealth to be good in every sport.  But Canada is at the headquarters of the hockey universe and the US just tries to keep up.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

I agree with the cultural aspects Fletch. There's a reason that the Dutch absolutely smoked the rest of the world in Speedskating in Sochi.

However the culture of sport is not fixed and can evolve over time. If you take the ebbs and flows of American sporting culture into account you can see the cultural focus, and therefore which sport attracted the best athletes, shift overtime. Once upon a time Boxing was on par with baseball and football, and in fact in the late 19th and early 20th centuries it was the big dog. The sport has declined drastically to an almost fringe point of attracting American athletes. Track as well for a period (1910's through 1930's) was one of the culturally premier sports before it waned. And basketball was an after thought for much of the 20th Century, and it wasn't truly popularized until the touring days of the Globetrotters, and then cemented culturally by the rise of the NBA and in particular the Cousy and Russell era Celtics. The culture changes, and along with it the quality of athlete.

If you look at winter sports, snowboarding and freestyle skiing used to be a complete joke, but now there's been a cultural shift where, in Canada at least, other traditional sports are being shunned in favour of those two.

Is it unlikely there will be a significant cultural shift in the US towards hockey? Yes, but it isn't an impossibility. If you asked Howard Cossell 50 years ago if there'd be a time when boxing wasn't a major component of the American sporting culture, he would have laughed in your face.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to red75's comment:

Once upon a time Boxing was on par with baseball and football, and in fact in the late 19th and early 20th centuries it was the big dog. The sport has declined drastically to an almost fringe point of attracting American athletes.  If you asked Howard Cossell 50 years ago if there'd be a time when boxing wasn't a major component of the American sporting culture, he would have laughed in your face.

More people watch WWE than boxing because at least they know its fake but WBA & WBC boxing bosses still want the paying public to believe everything is on the up & up with their sport,which certainly isn't the case. If fans think reffing in the NHL or more to the point the Bell Center is fishy,they should try watching a boxing match and see what those judges come up with.Howard would be laughing all right but the evidence would be staring him right in the face. King Kong Bundy rules!!!!!!!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bungalow-Bill. Show Bungalow-Bill's posts

In response to DeadAhead2's comment:

First off, they have to do better than Bylsma.  He sucks. Completely overrated coach.  I've always thought that about him and Fleury in Pitt.  He has loaded talent in Pitt, so don't anyone claim he's some kind of special coach.  He's a dorky joke.   He still needs his face re-arranged for the ordered hit from Orpik on Eriksson.

Next, Kesler had a terrible competition. Out of position and just lost. I don't care if he was blocking shots, either. Awful.  I always felt he was overrated, but the Wheeler and Kesler moves made no sense to me from the beginning.

Overall, that was an embarrassment going for the bronze today, and the fact they quit, made it worse.

Bylsma should be nowhere near a coaching staff that wants to win, ever again.

You are a complete know nothing. Finland plays outstanding team defense and would have probably been in the gold medal game if Rask played against the Swedes. Fins gave Canada a good run for their money too.

And they are not that old. Just because Selanne is a fossil doesn't mean the whole team is. They had 4 players on the team born in the 1970's - that's the same number as Canada.

Lastly, Bylsma won a cup didn't he? "Anyone can take Pittsburgh out of the East with their talent." You say this after trashing their goaltender - the most important position in the SC playoffs. Wow, what a bozo.

Anyone can take them out of the east just like you could walk into Dallas and put a 3 year plan together to make the Cowboys a Super Bowl team, right? LMAO. Still can't believe you actually said that.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to 50belowzero's comment:

Once upon a time Boxing was on par with baseball and football, and in fact in the late 19th and early 20th centuries it was the big dog. The sport has declined drastically to an almost fringe point of attracting American athletes.  If you asked Howard Cossell 50 years ago if there'd be a time when boxing wasn't a major component of the American sporting culture, he would have laughed in your face.

More people watch WWE than boxing because at least they know its fake  King Kong Bundy rules!!!!!!!

And now this thread will get interesting.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

if King Kong was on the B's blueline paired with Chara it would be the best shutdown,slamdown pairing in the league!

• Sections
    Shortcuts