Thank god we won the cup: Colborne lighting up AHL

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

Re: Thank god we won the cup: Colborne lighting up AHL

Well, now that Joe Colborne is "lighting up" the AHL, does that mean the teams will be saving on electrical costs?

I heard a sound bite of one of his goals the other day, and wouldn't you know - Joe Colborne is playing without skates. "He walks right out in front...score!

Unbelieveable. This kid will soon walk on water. (If you ask a Leaf fan).

But, seriously, Claude Losielle, the Leaf player development guru says that Joe is more "NHL ready" than Nazim Kadri. Wow!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Good for Joe, he has the potential to be another Bobby Holik.  I was a bit more concerned the Make Beliefs got a first rounder out of Boston with the Kaberle trade.  For this fan, winning the cup is better than having another Bobby Holik.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

And Shawn Thornton said," thank God we won the game" after the latest win. Good for Colborne. Chiarelli took a decent gamble , and Kaberle was less than he should have been, but, he had to adapt to a different game to meet Claude's demands. Some guys can, and some guys cannot.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoveRealHockey. Show LoveRealHockey's posts

Joe Colborne was not going to make the Bruins at center.

PC made what I thought was a good move to acquire Kaberle; without having ot give up anyone from their NHL roster and essentially picks along with Colborne.

Debateable whether Bruins would have still won the cup without Kaberle, but it showed the fans and the team that he was willing to do what he could to help them get there.  I think the players appreciated PC getting Kaberle at the deadline for the push to the Cup.

Leafs, on the other hand, got probably a bit more then they should have given Kaberle only had a select few number of teams that he would go to

So in the end it was a good deal for both teams.

Colborne will likely be a good 2nd or 3rd centerman for the Leafs as early as the 2nd half of the year, but more likely next year.  Kid has great hands and skates well.  Was a bit more like a deer in headlights at training camp so I think he needs at least 1 more year in the AHL.

I can understand Bruin fans not being happy with players that bolt (like Kessel), but Colborne didn't ask to be traded and is doing his best to reach his potential and make it to the show.  Not sure why anyone should bemoan that.

From what I've seen so far, he has great hands and should be a good NHL offensive player.  He is certainly not physical enough to take advantage of his height, but it's getting a bit better.  The Wheeler comparison might be a good one, although I hope it ends up better for the Leafs then it did for Wheeler and the Bruins.

Regads

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chappy28. Show Chappy28's posts

In Response to Re: Thank god we won the cup: Colborne lighting up AHL:
    Joe Colborne was not going to make the Bruins at center. PC made what I thought was a good move to acquire Kaberle; without having ot give up anyone from their NHL roster and essentially picks along with Colborne. Debateable whether Bruins would have still won the cup without Kaberle, but it showed the fans and the team that he was willing to do what he could to help them get there.  I think the players appreciated PC getting Kaberle at the deadline for the push to the Cup. Leafs, on the other hand, got probably a bit more then they should have given Kaberle only had a select few number of teams that he would go to So in the end it was a good deal for both teams. Colborne will likely be a good 2nd or 3rd centerman for the Leafs as early as the 2nd half of the year, but more likely next year.  Kid has great hands and skates well.  Was a bit more like a deer in headlights at training camp so I think he needs at least 1 more year in the AHL. I can understand Bruin fans not being happy with players that bolt (like Kessel), but Colborne didn't ask to be traded and is doing his best to reach his potential and make it to the show.  Not sure why anyone should bemoan that. From what I've seen so far, he has great hands and should be a good NHL offensive player.  He is certainly not physical enough to take advantage of his height, but it's getting a bit better.  The Wheeler comparison might be a good one, although I hope it ends up better for the Leafs then it did for Wheeler and the Bruins. Regads
    Posted by LoveRealHockey

Good post....nice to see somebody look at it in a reasonable way

Why hate on Joe?  He was one of our top prospects here and anything I've read about him projected him to be a future #1 or #2 center in the NHL.  We got fleeced on the Kaberle trade and we knew it when it happened, but you've got to give to get right?

Sure it sucks that we gave up a good player but the Bruins are deep at center and we dealt from a position of strength and we won the cup so stop whining.  Just because we didn't keep Kaberle doesn't mean we have to hate the player we gave up for him.  Now we have Spooner and Koko coming up through the pipeline so I don't think we are going to be weak at center anytime soon.  Trades happen and we can't keep every good player we draft so get over it.  It's not like we trades Seguin who will is a can't miss star.  We trades a project with high potential and he is starting to live up to that potential -- good for him.

To take it one step further, why hate on the Leafs?  I actually think they are a up and coming team that has some skill and are pretty fun to watch.  Like most teams who hang out at the bottom of the league for a few years they have some young exciting talent that is starting to pan out for them.  Boston also has some young exiting talent that just brought home a cup.  The difference is that we didn't have sit at the bottom of the league to get there.  Instead of having a bunch of 1st roung picks live up to their potential, we have a bunch of 2nd and 3rd round picks that turned out to be gems -- Lucic, Krecji, Bergeron.  And to boot we get Seguin without being the worst team in the league.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Olsonicator. Show Olsonicator's posts

In Response to Re: Thank god we won the cup: Colborne lighting up AHL : Wow, classy lady. So I see you're joining the ranks of those who lash out like a scorned lover at all those who disagree. I had no idea that only like-minded posters should reply to your thread. My mistake but bravo! Give yourself a pat on the back while explaining what 2 of our best assets were given up for our leading scoring D-man in the playoffs who supposedly could've blown a knee out and contributed more. How's Boston's transition game without him so far? Is it still good or have you bothered watching between marquee AHL matches? I'll wait until someone from the Leafs end of the trade records more than 1 NHL point before crying about what we gave up on the way to a Cup run. Apparently the tears flow easier from your eyes. I mean I show up to the debate with the leading D scorer for the Cup champs and you show up with the AHL player of the month along with picks 30 and 60 and I'm the illogical one? That's just like a woman to allow personal feelings to forego all reason and logic. You're clearly evolving at a faster pace than the rest of us so maybe you should worry more about your own hurt feelings and less about how I operate. You've already got enough issues to work on. Aren't you due to be punching a wall somewhere?
    Posted by dezaruchi

good points, I was too antagonistic. Sorry.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Joe Colborne was not going to make the Bruins at center. PC made what I thought was a good move to acquire Kaberle; without having ot give up anyone from their NHL roster and essentially picks along with Colborne. Debateable whether Bruins would have still won the cup without Kaberle, but it showed the fans and the team that he was willing to do what he could to help them get there.  I think the players appreciated PC getting Kaberle at the deadline for the push to the Cup. Leafs, on the other hand, got probably a bit more then they should have given Kaberle only had a select few number of teams that he would go to So in the end it was a good deal for both teams. Colborne will likely be a good 2nd or 3rd centerman for the Leafs as early as the 2nd half of the year, but more likely next year.  Kid has great hands and skates well.  Was a bit more like a deer in headlights at training camp so I think he needs at least 1 more year in the AHL. I can understand Bruin fans not being happy with players that bolt (like Kessel), but Colborne didn't ask to be traded and is doing his best to reach his potential and make it to the show.  Not sure why anyone should bemoan that. From what I've seen so far, he has great hands and should be a good NHL offensive player.  He is certainly not physical enough to take advantage of his height, but it's getting a bit better.  The Wheeler comparison might be a good one, although I hope it ends up better for the Leafs then it did for Wheeler and the Bruins. Regads
    Posted by LoveRealHockey

LRH, as you'll notice in my posts, I'm not trashing Colborne or his chances to become a good player down the road. What I won't do is start sulking about assets given up before they at least get to a point in their career to be worth complaining about. I agree with all who say he's got tremendous potential. I'm just not willing to forget they said the same thing about guys like Kris Beech. I think Colborne could eventually replace Steckel on your depth chart. Maybe he becomes a Keith Primeau type talent? Who knows? Good luck though. Cheers.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

In Response to Re: Thank god we won the cup: Colborne lighting up AHL : I agree with the premise of what I cut.  The Bruins dealt from strength - a number of prospects at C, and a young core of Cs, plus sufficient good draft picks last year.  Give up 30 because you're picking 9 and 40, and live with the extra pick even if it's upgraded because you win a Cup.  I don't like Kaberle, and I didn't want them to deal for him, but I don't feel any worse about the deal if Colborne or Rackell does well.  And I looooove that they dealt the Bruins two firsts that ended up much higher than they thought, while Boston dealt them one first that ended up as low as possible. But "why hate the Leafs"?  Force of looooong habit.  I've hated them since birth.  They're a division rival.  Leaf fans are some of the most mouth-breathing pink-hatters you'll ever meet.  No team that consistently bad should be able to sustain such consistent support from the national media ... but they do!  F--- the leafs.
    Posted by Bookboy007

In VanCity, we're genetically wired to hate the Leafs -- or anything TO, for that matter.  Western Canadians, before we are allowed to take our driving test, are required to swear an oath of hate towards everything Toronto. 

To Toronto (the center of the Universe), "the West" is Thunder Bay.  Everything beyond that is "that place where we get our wheat, oil and lumber".

I think Boston called itself "the hub"; Toronto actually believes it.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Good for Colborne, he seems like a good kid.  That said, not sure 9 AHL games are a large enough sample for me to think he will be special.  He played 81 AHL games prior to this year with a 20-24-44 line, nothing special there.  Still only 21 and developing, it will be interesting to see how it goes.
    Posted by Crowls2424

Agreed Crowls, I like Colbrone, and good for him.  I watched him play just about every game for Denver U a couple years ago and I never knew quite what to think about him.  Still don't.

He has a lot of talent and seemed like a very well liked kid.  People love his size, but it is kind of irrelevant because he just don't use it much.  He will never be a power forward and he rarely drives to the net.  He's a skill player, passer, and perimeter guy.

A lot of people thought he would only play one year of college because he was so good.  He didn't, he played two.  A lot of people thought he would just need  a little seasoning in the AHL (if any) and then make the big leagues.  Well, he's still in the AHL.  For Boston, he was a very expendable part.  Maybe he'll have more opportunity in Toronto.  Until he makes the NHL though, I would hold off on judgments of how good he is.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

To take it one step further, why hate on the Leafs?  I actually think they are a up and coming team that has some skill and are pretty fun to watch.  Like most teams who hang out at the bottom of the league for a few years they have some young exciting talent that is starting to pan out for them.  
    Posted by Chappy28

I agree with the premise of what I cut.  The Bruins dealt from strength - a number of prospects at C, and a young core of Cs, plus sufficient good draft picks last year.  Give up 30 because you're picking 9 and 40, and live with the extra pick even if it's upgraded because you win a Cup.  I don't like Kaberle, and I didn't want them to deal for him, but I don't feel any worse about the deal if Colborne or Rackell does well.  And I looooove that they dealt the Bruins two firsts that ended up much higher than they thought, while Boston dealt them one first that ended up as low as possible.

But "why hate the Leafs"?  Force of looooong habit.  I've hated them since birth.  They're a division rival.  Leaf fans are some of the most mouth-breathing pink-hatters you'll ever meet.  No team that consistently bad should be able to sustain such consistent support from the national media ... but they do!  F--- the leafs.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

the leafs have been irrelevant so long...i just find them annoying. i save all the hating for the habs. there's a lot to hate. if anything i'd like to thank the leafs, the two moves made with them kessel/kaberle directly attributed to a bruins stanley cup.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

i meant "contributed" instead of "attributed'- my bad, i'm a PE teacher, cut me some slack. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Thank god we won the cup: Colborne lighting up AHL : good points, I was too antagonistic. Sorry.
    Posted by Olsonicator

I also apologize for my over-reaction. You're a terrific poster. Cheers! Go Bruins!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"Joe Colborne was not going to make the Bruins at center.

PC made what I thought was a good move to acquire Kaberle; without having ot give up anyone from their NHL roster and essentially picks along with Colborne.

Colborne will likely be a good 2nd or 3rd centerman for the Leafs as early as the 2nd half of the year, but more likely next year.  Kid has great hands and skates well.  Was a bit more like a deer in headlights at training camp so I think he needs at least 1 more year in the AHL."

Nailed it LRH!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In Response to Re: Thank god we won the cup: Colborne lighting up AHL : Agreed Crowls, I like Colbrone, and good for him.  I watched him play just about every game for Denver U a couple years ago and I never knew quite what to think about him.  Still don't. He has a lot of talent and seemed like a very well liked kid.  People love his size, but it is kind of irrelevant because he just don't use it much.  He will never be a power forward and he rarely drives to the net.  He's a skill player, passer, and perimeter guy. A lot of people thought he would only play one year of college because he was so good.  He didn't, he played two.  A lot of people thought he would just need  a little seasoning in the AHL (if any) and then make the big leagues.  Well, he's still in the AHL.  For Boston, he was a very expendable part.  Maybe he'll have more opportunity in Toronto.  Until he makes the NHL though, I would hold off on judgments of how good he is.
    Posted by Fletcher1

Bang on Fletch, if he is so good why isnt he on the Leafs? We are talking about a cellar team who is rather thin at center. He's off to a great start in the AHL after 9 games, oh my god, we should give the Cup back, c'mon.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

i meant "contributed" instead of "attributed'- my bad, i'm a PE teacher, cut me some slack. 
    Posted by adkbeesfan

Consider it cut.

Shab hate comes from history, but Laff hate is environmental.  Lived out west when there were no teams in Western Canada (Laff fans everywhere - but then the Laffs weren't irrelevant), then moved to Toronto.  I've heard more stupid things about hockey uttered by Laff fans than any other segment of the population - and Laff media is almost worse.  Any mention, no matter how tangential, of the year 1993 will send them into apoplexy as they curse whatever gods there be, Gary Bettman, all refs ever, the mafia, immigrants, women....whoever they need to blame on Gretzky not getting tossed for drawing blood on Gilmour.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

"Kaberle has nothing to do with the Cup."

Wrong.  Even if Kaberle was a disappointment in terms of what he was brought in to do, he still made the breakout more efficient and he did lead the D in points in the playoffs.  We know he didn't get those points on the PP, right?  But remember - if he's not there, the next guy in line was Shane Hnidy.  After that, Bartkowski.  After he healed it would have been Kampfer....  But I would suggest that the Bruins might not get by the Scabs with the top four or five D playing longer minutes and Hnidy/Bart as the sixth D.  It was awfully close with Kaberle playing 18 minutes a night.  If you look at it as value over his replacement, Kaberle's role in bringing the Cup to Boston is much clearer.

As for the rest, well this is the more telling statistical comparison:

Kessel: playoff points over the last two years - 0
    Seguin: playoff points in one period - 4.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

BDC - please fix your time travel virus.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

We don`t know the future. Too many variables. Contracts, injuries ......... But for now Burke looks impressive. Kessel NHL : GP= 165,  G= 72  P= 140 Colborne AHL : GP= 30, G= 17, P= 34, NHL GP=1,P=1 Biggs : ???? Second round pick 2012 : ???? Seguin : NHL : GP= 98, G= 18, P= 38, Knight : ??? Hamilton : ??? Kaberle was nothing to do with the Cup.
    Posted by BlueChip99

Seguin has played in 85 games...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BlueChip99. Show BlueChip99's posts

We don`t know the future. Too many variables. Dispute contracts, injuries .........
    But so far Burke looks impressive.

Kessel NHL (tor): GP= 165,  G= 72  P= 140
    Colborne AHL (Marlies): GP= 30, G= 17, P= 34, NHL GP=1,P=1
    First round pick 2011 : Biggs:?? or equivalent
    Second round pick 2012 : ????

Seguin : NHL : GP= 98, G= 18, P= 40,
    Knight : ???
    Hamilton : ???
    Kaberle has nothing to do with the Cup.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BlueChip99. Show BlueChip99's posts

In Response to Re: Thank god we won the cup: Colborne lighting up AHL : Seguin has played in 85 games...
    Posted by lambda13

+ 13 in the playoffs = 98

These statistics include the NHL playoffs and with their respective team.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

We don`t know the future. Too many variables. Contracts, injuries ......... But for now Burke looks impressive. Kessel NHL : GP= 165,  G= 72  P= 140 Colborne AHL : GP= 30, G= 17, P= 34, NHL GP=1,P=1 Biggs:?? or equivalent Second round pick 2012 : ???? Seguin : NHL : GP= 98, G= 18, P= 38, Knight : ??? Hamilton : ??? Kaberle was nothing to do with the Cup.
    Posted by BlueChip99

Where do you get the numbers for your graphics? Your post is full of misinformation. Burke's team hasn't been in the playoffs since he arrived. I guess you're easy to impress. Seguin(7 points) and Kaberle(11 points) each won Cup rings after these impressive trades you speak of. Toronto, on the other hand, has fallen in the standings since Burke arrived.....pretty impressive.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ronstar8. Show Ronstar8's posts

We don`t know the future. Too many variables. Contracts, injuries ......... But so far Burke looks impressive. Kessel NHL : GP= 165,  G= 72  P= 140 Colborne AHL : GP= 30, G= 17, P= 34, NHL GP=1,P=1 Biggs:?? or equivalent Second round pick 2012 : ???? Seguin : NHL : GP= 98, G= 18, P= 38, Knight : ??? Hamilton : ??? Kaberle was nothing to do with the Cup.
    Posted by BlueChip99

Why are you comparing Colbourne's AHL stats? Why not factor in Hamilton's & Knight's junior stats while you're at it.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BlueChip99. Show BlueChip99's posts

In Response to Re: Thank god we won the cup: Colborne lighting up AHL : Why are you comparing Colbourne's AHL stats? Why not factor in Hamilton's & Knight's junior stats while you're at it.
    Posted by Ronstar8

Do the math if you want. Not me.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ronstar8. Show Ronstar8's posts

In Response to Re: Thank god we won the cup: Colborne lighting up AHL : Do the math if you want. Not me.
    Posted by BlueChip99

My point is that you cannot count AHL points for basis on who got the better of the trade. Neither GM traded for AHL'ers therefore, those Colbourne numbers mean nothing. Let's see him put up those numbers in the NHL. 

I don't hate the guy. I'm just sayin' that until he makes it to the big league, it's still a Kessel vs Seguin deal right now.

Sections
Shortcuts