Thank god we won the cup: Colborne lighting up AHL

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

Re: Thank god we won the cup: Colborne lighting up AHL

Colborne's start isn't getting much word up here in Toronto.  Perhaps the solid start of the big club has helped overshadow it.  This time last year they were already starting to struggle and I'd imagine if the same were true this season, the Leaf-centric news would be pumping Colborne.  It's not like Bruin brass didn't know he was an excellent prospect.  Good luck to him.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

So let me use the internets  and see who else has been an AHL player of the month...

April 2011 - Trent Whitfield
    April 2010 - Jerome Samson
    Jan 2009 - Mike Santorelli
    Mar 2010 - Johnny Boychuk
    Oct 2011 - Keith Aucoin
    Mar 2008 - Cal O'Reilly

OK, that's all I can find.  I couldn't find a full list.
    To me, this isn't exactly an awe inspiring list.  I count 2 decent NHL players.

So Joe won it, its about as meaningless as meaningless can be.

Not saying Joe won't become a HOF player, or that he'll be a bust, but this AHL player of the month thing means nothing as for what he will or won't be in the NHL.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BlueChip99. Show BlueChip99's posts

In Response to Re: Thank god we won the cup: Colborne lighting up AHL:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Thank god we won the cup: Colborne lighting up AHL : My point is that you cannot count AHL points for basis on who got the better of the trade. Neither GM traded for AHL'ers therefore, those Colbourne numbers mean nothing. Let's see him put up those numbers in the NHL.  I don't hate the guy. I'm just sayin' that until he makes it to the big league, it's still a Kessel vs Seguin deal right now.
    Posted by Ronstar8[/QUOTE]

``those Colbourne numbers mean nothing.``

You`re wrong. Its statistics mean something. That means Colborne is the best in its class. Don`t forget that he has only 21 years and is still considered a very good prospect. That's why I put his statistics.

And there's not just the statistics. Colborne is a big guy. He was drafted in the Junior A. Like other big boy he takes longer to develop but the potential is there.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Thank god we won the cup: Colborne lighting up AHL: [QUOTE]We don`t know the future. Too many variables. Dispute contracts, injuries ......... But so far Burke looks impressive. Kaberle was *has nothing to do with the Cup. Posted by BlueChip99[/QUOTE]

We know the past though Burke didn't draft or bring all the players in for the Ducks cup inherited quite a few , Kaberle has a Stanley Cup ring with the Bruins not the Leafs and Brian Burke with Phil the pill has no Stanley Cups in Toronto.

Need any help with the present math on that ?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Thank god we won the cup: Colborne lighting up AHL : ``those Colbourne numbers mean nothing. `` You`re wrong. Its statistics mean something. That means Colborne is the best in its class. Don`t forget that he has only 21 years and is still considered a very good prospect. That's why I put his statistics. And there's not just the statistics. Colborne is a big guy. He was drafted in the Junior A. Like other big boy he takes longer to develop but the potential is there.
    Posted by BlueChip99[/QUOTE]

Look at *all* of the statistics.  He started the year hot in Providence and finished with 12 g and 14 a in 55 games.

Like what other big boys?  How about the other big boys in his draft year, Stamkos, Doughty, Bogosian, Schenn and Myers?

Potential?

We all have potential.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Thank god we won the cup: Colborne lighting up AHL : There are several players who have a Stanley Cup ring to their fingers and  have done nothing to deserve it. 2010 TV show. Michel Bergeron Former NHL coach Posted by BlueChip99[/QUOTE]

And Burke as a GM That's what I say

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chef09. Show Chef09's posts

I question anyone's sanity who thinks Kaberle had nothing to with the cup win.Everyone contibuted something and I think we already talked about that in June. No passengers.(not even Ryder) I wish Colborne all the best but PC did what he had to do and we saw the B's win a cup that I have been waiting a long time for. And YES winning the cup does mean it was the right move.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Thank god we won the cup: Colborne lighting up AHL : As they develop their skills more slowly , we will see them later.

Not necessarily, not at all.
    Eric Lindros was big and in his first season scored 41 34 a and found the time to rack up 147 pim in 61 games.

Lemieux was big, no waiting for him.

Keith Primeau, played part of 2 seasons in the A, but he was a bona fide good NHL player by the time he was 21.

Even, Joe Thornton, slow first year, but by the time he was 21 he had 23 goals in the NHL.

It is more true of defenseman in general, not forwards.

Joe was a -16 in Providence.  Minus 16.

Significant stat, is it not?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BlueChip99. Show BlueChip99's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Thank god we won the cup: Colborne lighting up AHL : We know the past though Burke didn't draft or bring all the players in for the Ducks cup inherited quite a few , Kaberle has a Stanley Cup ring with the Bruins not the Leafs and Brian Burke with Phil the pill has no Stanley Cups in Toronto. Need any help with the present math on that ?
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]

There are several players who have a Stanley Cup ring to their fingers and  have done nothing to deserve it.

2010 TV show.
    Michel Bergeron Former NHL coach 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BlueChip99. Show BlueChip99's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Thank god we won the cup: Colborne lighting up AHL : Look at *all* of the statistics.  He started the year hot in Providence and finished with 12 g and 14 a in 55 games. Like what other big boys?  How about the other big boys in his draft year, Stamkos, Doughty, Bogosian, Schenn and Myers? Potential? We all have potential.
    Posted by BadHabitude[/QUOTE]

Think about that
    As
    they develop their skills more slowly, we will see them later.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BlueChip99. Show BlueChip99's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Thank god we won the cup: Colborne lighting up AHL : And Burke as a GM That's what I say

I must admit that Bergeron has never won anything either.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

After back-to-back poundings by the Redwings, the Bruins looked like they had a weakness in terms of puck movement in the back end. They addressed that weakness by dealing a prospect who was already into his 20's but had little chance of making the team in the near future for the most prolific scoring defenseman who didn't play for the Redwings. That was a good trade. Nothing that happened or will happen after that matters.  Not the Cup, nor the 5 NHL scoring titles that Colborne is sure to win because he is tall.  All that matters is a good decision was made with what was known at the time.  It was also a good trade for the Leafs. If Colborne has success, all it says to me is the the Bruins scouting staff is good at identifying talent.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Thank god we won the cup: Colborne lighting up AHL : I must admit that Bergeron has never won anything either. Posted by BlueChip99[/QUOTE]

You don't have to tell me I know that Marc-Andre has never helped a team win a Stanley Cup. Patrice most certainly has after coming back from another concussion and that must kill a Hab troll like you seeing that Montreal could have had him before Boston nabbed him with the 45th pick.

Montreal could have picked Sauve and Caron as well but failed just like your posts. Man Gainey and Gauthier can't even keep their own talent in it's own backyard, that's just pitiful.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoveRealHockey. Show LoveRealHockey's posts

Interesting article in the Toronto Star on Colborne for everyone that's interested.  Seems committed to getting to the NHL.  Time will tell

http://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs/article/1081308--cox-the-paper-boy-who-can-t-stop-growing

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ronstar8. Show Ronstar8's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Thank god we won the cup: Colborne lighting up AHL : ``those Colbourne numbers mean nothing. `` You`re wrong. Its statistics mean something. That means Colborne is the best in its class. Don`t forget that he has only 21 years and is still considered a very good prospect. That's why I put his statistics. And there's not just the statistics. Colborne is a big guy. He was drafted in the Junior A. Like other big boy he takes longer to develop but the potential is there.

Congratulations. You got a solid AHL'er out of that trade.

You're not understanding my point (or choosing not to understand it). I do not dislike Colbourne whatsoever. All I'm trying to say is a player can score 100 pts in one month of AHL play, it doesn't guarantee success in the NHL! Just like there are no guarantees with Hamilton & Knight either right now.

Rob Schremp was also very good in the AHL.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Thank god we won the cup: Colborne lighting up AHL : I must admit that Bergeron has never won anything either.

Feel free to read the names on the Stanley Cup.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BlueChip99. Show BlueChip99's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Thank god we won the cup: Colborne lighting up AHL : Congratulations. You got a solid AHL'er out of that trade. You're not understanding my point (or choosing not to understand it). I do not dislike Colbourne whatsoever. All I'm trying to say is a player can score 100 pts in one month of AHL play, it doesn't guarantee success in the NHL! Just like there are no guarantees with Hamilton & Knight either right now. Rob Schremp was also very good in the AHL.
    Posted by Ronstar8[/QUOTE]

I understand your point, but you know a player who has a guarantee to play with succes in the NHL? Ask to Marc Savard if there are guarantees, ask to Andrew Raycroft Rookie of the Year in 2004. Sean Avery GP = 565 G = 87 P = 244, Ask to Sydney Crosby if he can still play in the NHL and for how long.

There are never guarantees that you can play in the NHL.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ronstar8. Show Ronstar8's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Thank god we won the cup: Colborne lighting up AHL : I understand your point, but you know a player who has a guarantee to play with succes in the NHL? Ask to Marc Savard if there are guarantees, ask to Andrew Raycroft Rookie of the Year in 2004. Sean Avery GP = 565 G = 87 P = 244, Ask to Sydney Crosby if he can still play in the NHL and for how long. There are never guarantees that you can play in the NHL.

That's it! That's exactly my point!

So the fact that he was player of the month means..... all together now.... NOTHING!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

lets be honest, colborne is going to be a good NHL player, but that trade helped the bruins win the cup, so i would do it every time

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]lets be honest, colborne is going to be a good NHL player, but that trade helped the bruins win the cup, so i would do it every time
    Posted by bostonfan191646[/QUOTE]
    SHOULD be a good NHL player

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Thank god we won the cup: Colborne lighting up AHL : . You should get to know hockey. it's a beautiful sport. http://www.amazon.ca/Hockey-ABC-First-NHL-Book/dp/1551683652 http://www.historyofhockey.net/

You can't recommend something that you haven't read. Run along now back to school with you whittle troll. Max Pack and PK are teaching "diving on ice but not from a board", quite sure you know all about that wearing a toilet seat and all...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BlueChip99. Show BlueChip99's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Thank god we won the cup: Colborne lighting up AHL : You don't have to tell me I know that Marc-Andre has never helped a team win a Stanley Cup. Patrice most certainly has after coming back from another concussion and that must kill a Hab troll like you seeing that Montreal could have had him before Boston nabbed him with the 45th pick. Montreal could have picked Sauve and Caron as well but failed just like your posts. Man Gainey and Gauthier can't even keep their own talent in it's own backyard, that's just pitiful.
    You seem not to know Michel Bergeron former Nordiques and Rangers head coach. 1980- 90

You should get to know hockey. it's a beautiful sport.
    http://www.amazon.ca/Hockey-ABC-First-NHL-Book/dp/1551683652

http://www.historyofhockey.net/

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Thank god we won the cup: Colborne lighting up AHL : SHOULD be a good NHL player
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

MIGHT be an NHL player (-good)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Thank god we won the cup: Colborne lighting up AHL : MIGHT be an NHL player (-good)
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]
    With his size and skill-set Colborne should be able to play in the NHL. Positively agree there is no guarantee of that happenning.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Thank god we won the cup: Colborne lighting up AHL : Feel free to read the names on the Stanley Cup.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

And I hope the glare from his Gold Medal doesnt hinder his abilty to read the cup.

Sections
Shortcuts