Thank you 98.5, and stay classy EEI

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigbadbruinsfan. Show bigbadbruinsfan's posts

Thank you 98.5, and stay classy EEI

So glad 98.5 came around to give hockey the forum it deserves in one of America's top 3 hockey states and cities.  WEEI mocked us for years, would never talk Bruins or NHL, and now they are suffering.  I would like to give WEEI a great, big, Shawn Thornton esque, SUCK IT!  Bruins nation drives the bus around here, we are the most loyal fans, and they alienated us.  Again, thanks to 98.5!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Re: Thank you 98.5, and stay classy EEI

Rememebr when ordaway used to greet the callers by scarcastically calling it 'hockey talk!!!"....Now he's paying the price..he totally underestimated the amount of people who wanted to talk hockey. Funny listening to Dennis & Callahan try to talk hockey....Felger does a great job, sure beats trying to listen to a bunch of slobs yelling over each other.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from nix02061. Show nix02061's posts

Listening to the guys on EEI trying to talk hockey was often hilarious.  So many glaring errors in commentary.  I guess I should give them credit for trying but like you said, for so many years they practically refused to acknowledge the Bruins.

Happy to see that the hub guys were on some of the boats today! 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from LUCICmilan17. Show LUCICmilan17's posts

In Response to Thank you 98.5, and stay classy EEI:
    [QUOTE]So glad 98.5 came around to give hockey the forum it deserves in one of America's top 3 hockey states and cities.  WEEI mocked us for years, would never talk Bruins or NHL, and now they are suffering.  I would like to give WEEI a great, big, Shawn Thornton esque, SUCK IT!  Bruins nation drives the bus around here, we are the most loyal fans, and they alienated us.  Again, thanks to 98.5!
    Posted by bigbadbruinsfan[/QUOTE]

Couldnt agree more. I was a loyal WEEI listener but the moment the sports hub came around I deleted WEEI off my favorites on my internet browser. If I am at work or often times doing things in the house I am always locked into 985thesportshub on the internet.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

In Response to Re: Thank you 98.5, and stay classy EEI:
    [QUOTE]Rememebr when ordaway used to greet the callers by scarcastically calling it 'hockey talk!!!"....Now he's paying the price..he totally underestimated the amount of people who wanted to talk hockey. Funny listening to Dennis & Callahan try to talk hockey....Felger does a great job, sure beats trying to listen to a bunch of slobs yelling over each other.
    Posted by kelvana33[/QUOTE]

This is so true.  B's fans would call on in plead for some "hockey talk" and Ordway would lecture them on how nobody wants to hear it and that it would be terrible for ratings. 

I haven't listened to EEI in over a year, I don't even know if Ordway still has a show.  Many can't stand Felger because he is obnoxious, but the guy is a passionate hockey fan. I'll keep tuning into 98.5 for my drive home.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigbadbruinsfan. Show bigbadbruinsfan's posts

Kelvana, love it that felger named his recent show on Comcast (the one on non game nights and they took callers on TV), "hockey talk".  He and Neumy all but said they named it that since formerly influential media members (aka big O)used to mock bruins fans with hawkeyyy talk, your on hawkey talk.  Eat that Ordway and the rest of EEI, anyone who would listen to them about hockey is a basketball fan.  I dont care who they get for a guest, Milbury etc, still wont listen to those basketball honks.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigbadbruinsfan. Show bigbadbruinsfan's posts

By the way, as a footnote, please add ESPN to the WEEI list.  I will never watch that channel again, why would we with local channels like CSN, NESN, NFL Network, NHL Net, hopefully Versus/NBC start making a push here too.  If I want tennis, WNBA, or low level college basketball games or my highlights on Sports Center to be full of basketball and baseball, I'll wath ESPN again.  Unfortunately for them, Football and Hockey are the two best sports and gaining major momentum.  ESPN covers NFL, but I'd rather poke my eyes out rather than listen or see Stu Scott.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from LUCICmilan17. Show LUCICmilan17's posts

[QUOTE]Kelvana, love it that felger named his recent show on Comcast (the one on non game nights and they took callers on TV), "hockey talk".  He and Neumy all but said they named it that since formerly influential media members (aka big O)used to mock bruins fans with hawkeyyy talk, your on hawkey talk.  Eat that Ordway and the rest of EEI, anyone who would listen to them about hockey is a basketball fan.  I dont care who they get for a guest, Milbury etc, still wont listen to those basketball honks.
    Posted by bigbadbruinsfan[/QUOTE]

+1

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from michaelf101. Show michaelf101's posts

Don't forget the jerk with the holly hockey minute.I changed the station every time he said that . I never liked the beachball in the afternoon probably because he is a nba guy and didn't know anything about hockey. Felger started the hockey talk love him or hate him we listened. Could you imagine if we didn't have 98.5 during this run? I stopped watching espn years ago

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from niftybear. Show niftybear's posts

At WEEI they got rid of their only hockey fans, Dale Arnold and Pete Shephard(sp) and now they are trying to talk hockey with a bunch of basketball guys. Dimwits! like hockey fans wouldn't be able to tell? So glad for the Sports Hub and Versus is so much better than ESPN ever was. I like Jeremy Roenick in the studio.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Interesting how 98.5 is owned by CBS and CBS was telecasting the playoffs.  They took a gamble and it paid off.

I have to admit that I jumped on the band wagon during the post season in large part due to the coverage on 98.5.  The credit for winning the Cup all goes to the Bruins.  But some of their new found popularity is due to 98.5

I gained a new found respect for hockey durong the play-offs.  Those guys played their hearts out.  The NHL has to have the most grueling post season of the 4 major sports. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from habssuck09. Show habssuck09's posts

EEI sucks always has always will

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kennedy97. Show Kennedy97's posts

[QUOTE]Interesting how 98.5 is owned by CBS and CBS was telecasting the playoffs.
    Posted by DirtyWaterLover[/QUOTE]

NBC was broadcasting the playoffs. CBS hasn't had hockey on its national airwaves in decades.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from RickyHussle. Show RickyHussle's posts

Couldn't agree more with this thread.  I am one of the callers who was told a few times that Boston doesn't want to talk hockey.  When I did get through on a slow day it was only so that they could call me out publicly.  Everything worked out in the end, thanks SportsHub.  I would like to add that I don't think Toucher and Rich are extremely knowledgeable, but they talk hockey, and have been just as long as Felger if my memory serves me correctly.  Add to that, my wife thinks there funny and I have a very nice morning commute.  She also hates D&C on WEEI.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Amen.  I recall during the lean years and even recently, WEEI not just refusing to talk about hockey, but openly mocking hockey fans.  It was one of the main reasons I stopped listening.  Think Ordway watched the parade and wondered how he misjudged the fan base so badly?  Dennis and Callahan?

No forgiveness from me, stick with 98.5.  I feel the same way about ESPN.  They decided to become the NBA network and their national radio hosts (Cowert, Gottlieb, etc) mock hockey fans regularly.  I don't really care about the overall popularity of the sport much, but as a hockey fan why bother with shows that mock the sport?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kennedy97. Show Kennedy97's posts

Honestly, this has everything to do with ratings and radio competition than anything else, not love or respect for the franchise.

When the Bruins weren't very good (in the days before 98.5), nobody talked hockey on WEEI because not as many were interested in the Bruins as they were the more successful teams (the Sox and Pats were winning championships, and in 2008 of course we had the Celtics championship in the spring/early summer).

When 98.5 came along, they were the first REAL direct competition to WEEI. They quickly added the Bruins games to their channel, and when that happened, of course WEEI wasn't going to spend much time with the Bruins. It would be openly advertising on their station a product that would have people switch the channel to their biggest competitor.

It's the same with ESPN. Once they didn't have hockey any more, they stopped covering it with any real depth.

Broadcast entities (even and especially ones that focus on sports) are all about the bottom line, like most businesses. And they're not going to do much to promote something that makes the other guy money / more successful.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytf25. Show jaytf25's posts

They did the same thing in the summer 04 when I called in complaining about the trades for Rick Fox(who retired) and Gary Payton. The producer or person who screens the calls said oh nobody cares about the Celtics and didn't put me through. Things are cyclical. Summer of 04 it was all Sox and Pats, then the Bruins and Celts last. Ordway was the Celtics color and play by play guy for years so I could understand his bias for the Celts over the Bruins. This playoff year even in the beginning they(WEEI) were talking Bruins almost as much as the Celts. Even Cedric Maxwell(who I love) was chiming in. I listen on the computer to EEI at home when I can.(I live in Philly) Can you get 98.5 on the web?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from RickyHussle. Show RickyHussle's posts

[QUOTE]They did the same thing in the summer 04 when I called in complaining about the trades for Rick Fox(who retired) and Gary Payton. The producer or person who screens the calls said oh nobody cares about the Celtics and didn't put me through. Things are cyclical. Summer of 04 it was all Sox and Pats, then the Bruins and Celts last. Ordway was the Celtics color and play by play guy for years so I could understand his bias for the Celts over the Bruins. This playoff year even in the beginning they(WEEI) were talking Bruins almost as much as the Celts. Even Cedric Maxwell(who I love) was chiming in. I listen on the computer to EEI at home when I can.(I live in Philly) Can you get 98.5 on the web?
    Posted by jaytf25[/QUOTE]

It's available on iTunes, and I agree with your explanation regarding WEEI's coverage, but just because I can explain something doesn't mean I have to like it.  98.5 took a gamble that listeners might tune out as WEEI predicted, they won the gamble and I appreciate them for it.  I will never ever go back to EEI where it seems there sole purpose is to show up people who seem less significant then them.  Sometimes they downplay your sport of preference other times they taunt you with the fact that they have more impressive 1040 statements.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockguy0818. Show Hockguy0818's posts

I called WEEI about a week before the draft last year (Big Show) to talk about the Taylor Hall/Tyler Seguin debate, and potential players they could target/trades in free agency. I pretty much got dismissed and laughed at.

Anyone else have something similar happen to them?

P.S About a month ago I mentioned Jeff Skinner, and they didn't even know who he was. Thank goodness Jack was in the studio, or my points would have resulted in dead silence.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bleedinblackandgold. Show Bleedinblackandgold's posts

The worst offenders were Dennis and Callahan. Nevermind the Bruins, half the time they dont even talk *sports*, and they even mock people who com[plain about that faqct

Toucher and Rich, while not experts, clearly care about hockey. Felger and Mazz have also done a fantastic job (and this is coming from a guy who dislikes Felger

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockguy0818. Show Hockguy0818's posts

[QUOTE]The worst offenders were Dennis and Callahan. Nevermind the Bruins, half the time they dont even talk *sports*, and they even mock people who com[plain about that faqct Toucher and Rich, while not experts, clearly care about hockey. Felger and Mazz have also done a fantastic job (and this is coming from a guy who dislikes Felger
    Posted by Bleedinblackandgold[/QUOTE]
    Agreed. You should check out the audio on EEI about Callahan getting in an argument with a caller. The caller was calling him a fraud for acting as if he were a true Bruins fan, and how he had belittled hockey callers, as well as the sport, for years. Amen to that.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytf25. Show jaytf25's posts

I do miss Dale Arnold on the midday. He was the only one who wouldn't insult you and was level headed. Plus he likes hockey since he used to be a Bruins broadcaster.

Sections
Shortcuts