Thanks Jack

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Re: Thanks Jack

Yes, as mentioned earlier, the NY Times folks apparently banned my avatar. No joke.

They must all be Jets fans. Poor souls.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from callodthedom19. Show callodthedom19's posts

In Response to Re: Thanks Jack:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Thanks Jack : I'll bite.... Pot...meet kettle.
    Posted by scooter244[/QUOTE]
    Me? or NAS? 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bgrif008. Show bgrif008's posts

Ya, I like Brick a lot....Cool guy. I had a chance to talk with him 2 seasons ago when the B's were visiting the Blue Jackets. He really does get it.....He even said that many of the players today could never play when he played, due to how physical the game was, plus you had all the clutching and grabbing.....Its definitely different than when he played.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from stingerjp. Show stingerjp's posts

Jack does seem to polarize many fans.  Personally, I am a big fan.  He is a homer but his strange comments make me laugh.

An earlier poster was right- just listen to the NHL network any night and listen to the random cut-ins.  Most play-by-play guys have no passion and put me to sleep.  Edwards loves the game and his team. 

All play-by-play guys butcher names.  They have to know all the guys in recall their names on the spot. Color guys aren't going to butcher a name-they have till the end of the play to get it right.

We are lucky to have both Jack and Brick.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerrynewyork. Show jerrynewyork's posts

i met Jack in Edmonton and the first thing he asked me was my name. very nice guy and i do enjoy his enthusiastic  play by play. one of the best things about him is he can make a dull game fun .

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Thanks Jack : Me? or NAS? 
    Posted by callodthedom19[/QUOTE]

NAS of course

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from KrayzieJoe. Show KrayzieJoe's posts

I still think Dale was better

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

[QUOTE]Jack does seem to polarize many fans.  Personally, I am a big fan.  He is a homer but his strange comments make me laugh. An earlier poster was right- just listen to the NHL network any night and listen to the random cut-ins.  Most play-by-play guys have no passion and put me to sleep.  Edwards loves the game and his team.  All play-by-play guys butcher names.  They have to know all the guys in recall their names on the spot. Color guys aren't going to butcher a name-they have till the end of the play to get it right. We are lucky to have both Jack and Brick.
    Posted by stingerjp[/QUOTE]

I think Jack is actually better than Dale, but I am not sure we are lucky to have Jack.

Brick, yes.

It'd be nice to see them look for a sportscaster who has a unique voice.  I think that is as important as the way they call the game.

Not everyone is going to have a Jiggs McDonald or a Mike Emerick, but it'd be nice if they looked around a little instead of just choosing the next obvious choice from the Boston area.

How great was Bob Wilson on the radio?  If not for Cusick on tv, Wilson was THE MAN calling Bruins games. Superb for a long time.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karl-Hungus. Show Karl-Hungus's posts

i love jack but he annoyed me on this road trip for some reason.  can't put my finger on it.   

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Cusick was the best, wasn't big on Dale Arnold,Dave Shea was ok.

Emrick still the best. dave Strader is real good, too bad he does Pheonix games, Gary Thorne has the voice but messes up too many names. Steve Levy should get back into hockey, never happen as long as he's with ESPN.
    Sidekicks, Brickley is real good, starting to get noticed and I love Pang and Melrose...Terry Crisp probably the worst.
    i watch too much hockey

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

don't forget fred saying "he walked in unmolested!!".....lol

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

i have nhl centreice and i prefer jack over any other announcer. the other guys don't even know half of the players names. the other night (edmonton i think?), they called marchand "boychuk". i've never really noticed the resemblance. i know no one's gonna agree with me on this, but i can't stand brickley. he sounds like cliff claven when he starts his long winded stories.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from DallasSmith. Show DallasSmith's posts

[QUOTE]Arnold was terrible. The way he over-announciated every player's name was so annnoying. Edwards is annoying in his own way. He's more of a fanboy type. Cusick was an absolute legend, arguably one of the greatest NHL sportscasters ever. He used great adjectives to describe the action. "Blistering" was always a gem. "Heavy, heavy hit" was another.  "Shifts" when describing a rush up the ice.  Simple words that had such an effect.  He didn't try to oversell the play on the ice.  He only did that when they scored a big goal. RIP Fred http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSjDPq9z8Ag&NR=1 PS Pardon the sight of Charlie Jacobs in this above video.
    Posted by BBReigns[/QUOTE] I loved the way Fred called a game but thought Derek and Fred were too biased in their opinions.I realize 99% of their audience were Boston fans but they were still nowhere near objective.I like the combination of Jack and Andy .Brickley comes across as the average Joe type ,his accent can be hilarious to listen to at times .I still think Brickley had the talent /desire to have a much better career than he did,he never did seem to get the breaks .  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

I love how Jack kisses up to Brick everytime a stick breaks. He always throws in a dig against composite sticks...For those of you who don't know Bricks brother does or used to make wooden sticks for a living.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from golden9x2. Show golden9x2's posts

Would you rather have that minor league game show host Rick Jeanneret(sic)?!??!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TomOBrien. Show TomOBrien's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Thanks Jack : Oh NAS, you messed up.
    Posted by callodthedom19[/QUOTE]
    Maybe the Bruins and NESN can send him down the river or spoon him out the door...I cringe when I hear those comment, but I have to say he has grown on me...just don't look at his teeth.  :-)
    Doc

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beezfan4life. Show Beezfan4life's posts

Fred was the best....he'd go absolutely bonkers when the Bruins scored...but when they got scored on....it was like somebody ran over his dog.. Classic Fred!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]Cusick was the best, wasn't big on Dale Arnold,Dave Shea was ok.
    Posted by kelvana33[/QUOTE]

I recall Dave Shea being the most boring announcer ever.  When he did the road games on SBK I would wonder if they checked to see if he flatlined during commercials.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kennedy97. Show Kennedy97's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Thanks Jack : I dont think edwards could hold cusik's jockstrap, brick saves him 20 times a game
    Posted by Bird8817[/QUOTE]

That's unfair, though. Replacing Fred is like replacing Foster Hewitt on HNIC.   Nobody's going to be Fred; he's one of the best to ever get behind the mic.

My biggest complaint with Edwards is that he mocks opposing hockey players despite having a neck the size of a Ticonderoga #2 pencil. Real easy to do from the "9 stories above the ice", but also really lame. His pre-memorized calls are also lame (the one where he referenced the American Revolution is one of the worst ever). Him being a homer is fine; that's what he's there to do. But Arnold was almost as much of a homer and was a better announcer (who didn't call out guys who could snap him like a twig).

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from CafardoSaysTradeBrady. Show CafardoSaysTradeBrady's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Thanks Jack : That's unfair, though. Replacing Fred is like replacing Foster Hewitt on HNIC.   Nobody's going to be Fred; he's one of the best to ever get behind the mic. My biggest complaint with Edwards is that he mocks opposing hockey players despite having a neck the size of a Ticonderoga #2 pencil. Real easy to do from the "9 stories above the ice", but also really lame. His pre-memorized calls are also lame (the one where he referenced the American Revolution is one of the worst ever). Him being a homer is fine; that's what he's there to do. But Arnold was almost as much of a homer and was a better announcer (who didn't call out guys who could snap him like a twig).
    Posted by Kennedy97[/QUOTE]

I bet Bill Laimbeer could've whaled on Johnny Most.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Thanks Jack : I loved the way Fred called a game but thought Derek and Fred were too biased in their opinions.I realize 99% of their audience were Boston fans but they were still nowhere near objective.I like the combination of Jack and Andy .Brickley comes across as the average Joe type ,his accent can be hilarious to listen to at times .I still think Brickley had the talent /desire to have a much better career than he did,he never did seem to get the breaks .  
    Posted by DallasSmith[/QUOTE]

Classic homers, no doubt. But, I honestly can;'t think of one duo that wasn't or isn't like that. Some are just more extreem than others.

I was just speaking mostly on Cusick's style, delivery, voice, word choices, etc.

You could argue he's the best ever, really.

I can't think of too many from the 1950s on, where you've been able to hear NHL sportscasters on audio, where they called a better game than Cusick.

Definitley one of the best in NHL history.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonguy67. Show bostonguy67's posts

Bob Wilson was the best B's announcer ever, IMHO.

Edwards called a nice game in Calgary but I found myself lowering the volume during the Vancouver and Edmonton games.

Occasionally while listening to his play by play I find myself thinking, "shut the ---- up".

His commentary on the hit that got Paille suspended was embarrassing...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

[QUOTE]Bob Wilson was the best B's announcer ever, IMHO. Edwards called a nice game in Calgary but I found myself lowering the volume during the Vancouver and Edmonton games. Occasionally while listening to his play by play I find myself thinking, "shut the ---- up". His commentary on the hit that got Paille suspended was embarrassing...
    Posted by bostonguy67[/QUOTE]

Listen to Pierre McGuire sometime.

Jack is fun, Brick keeps his head in it at times.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaymiller. Show jaymiller's posts

Jack and Brick are awesome !!!!

Sections
Shortcuts