That bum Chiarelli

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

That bum Chiarelli

NHL.Com -

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=665441&navid=nhl:topheads

3. Peter Chiarelli -- 43

One of several current GMs with either a background in law, player representation or both, Chiarelli took charge of the Boston Bruins in the summer of 2006 and has revived a proud franchise. Chiarelli's most famous moves include signing Zdeno Chara, who played for the Ottawa Senators when Chiarelli was their assistant GM, and making the "Phil Kessel trade" in which the Bruins netted Tyler Seguin, Dougie Hamilton and Jared Knight.

Chiarelli also made a series of deft moves to fill out the roster and return the Stanley Cup to Beantown in 2011 for the first time since 1972, and the Bruins are built to be a top contender for years to come.

"Well, let's see, under Chiarelli's watch the Bruins have drafted well, signed top free agents, made smart trades and won the Stanley Cup," NHL.com senior writer Dan Rosen said. "He drafted Milan Lucic, Brad Marchand and Dougie Hamilton. He signed Zdeno Chara. He traded for Nathan Horton and Gregory Campbell, who has been the perfect so-called program player. He traded for Tuukka Rask. He traded for Jaromir Jagr. The list goes on and on. Chiarelli is hardly known for just one trade; his fingerprints are all over the Bruins' successes."

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Re: That bum Chiarelli

Love PC, but unless I'm confused, he didn't draft Lucic and he didn't trade for Rask. He was hired prior  to either of those happening, but was not "supposed" to be involved.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"Well, let's see, under Chiarelli's watch the Bruins have drafted well"

If you can't draft better be able to make some good trades and he has done that. When all is said and done before PC retires or starts a new with another organization he will have 3 Stanley Cups with the core he has now.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

In response to red75's comment:

Love PC, but unless I'm confused, he didn't draft Lucic and he didn't trade for Rask. He was hired prior  to either of those happening, but was not "supposed" to be involved.

Do you remember Chara's speech at his 1,000th game? He slipped in "Thank you for Peter for bringing me here." - but it kinda trailed off at the end of the sentence as if he was realizing perhaps not a good thing to say out loud.

In other words, we all know what was really happening that off-season.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

I give PC an A+ with the highest grade being A++.

As critical as I have been over the draft picks it's not as if the drafting is all that bad.

With a tweak to the drafting he goes to the A++.

Look around the league and see what some of these other nitwits have been up to and how can't you be satisfied with the gm we have.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

NHL.Com -

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=665441&navid=nhl:topheads

3. Peter Chiarelli -- 43

Chiarelli also made a series of deft moves to fill out the roster and return the Stanley Cup to Beantown in 2011 for the first time since 1972, and the Bruins are built to be a top contender for years to come.

Why do people who don't live here call it Beantown?  Those who live here haven't called it that in 200 years.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to BadHabitude's comment:

I give PC an A+ with the highest grade being A++.

As critical as I have been over the draft picks it's not as if the drafting is all that bad.

With a tweak to the drafting he goes to the A++.

Look around the league and see what some of these other nitwits have been up to and how can't you be satisfied with the gm we have.

In the cap era it is very hard to field a competitive team year after year as witnessed by the teams left floundering every year. You have to be a astute cap manager,talent assesor, scouting department hirer and have a firm grip on whats happening on your team.PC has done all of this and we should be ecstatic that he runs the B's.You need only look at how over half of the teams in the NHL are run and managed and be thankful. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

I think he is an excellent GM. He's made some very good moves like getting Chara and Savard here via FA. Astute trades getting Kelly, Recchi, Siedenburg, Boychuk, Paille and of course the big one that nabbed Hamilton & Seguin(yes it was some pure dumb luck it worked out that well). Having Thomas signed for cheap money when he arrived also worked out well for him. Plus he has a ring. The Rask trade was handled by Jeff Gorton not PC.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

He is also responsible for signing the Yetiberg or sods or soda or...........the B's third line left wing.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to 50belowzero's comment:

He is also responsible for signing the Yetiberg or sods or soda or...........the B's third line left wing.

Easy.....he's not in Boston just yet......:)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:

Easy.....he's not in Boston just yet......:)

He will be here Jm, just wait and see, the 3rd line messiah will invigorate the masses.Bring on the Herring!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

He will be here Jm, just wait and see, the 3rd line messiah will invigorate the masses.Bring on the Herring!!

lol....mmmm, pickled raw fish for everyone!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:

Roll mops, thats it, we'll call the 3rd line the "Roll mops", once Sods gets over here.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Lol....mmmm, pickled raw fish for everyone!!

Roll mops, thats it, we'll call the 3rd line the "Roll mops", once Sods gets over here.

works for me....I don't know if this conversation is making my stomach growl or making me sick to my stomach.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mxt. Show mxt's posts

PC has done well. Unless we go deep in the playoffs, his next big move might be finding a new coach.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"Roll mops" that is good stuff 50!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

I hope I dont jinx of this happening by typing it, but how genius will PC look if the Big Foot with one bad eye comes to Boston and ends up being a John Druce. Lol

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from biggskye. Show biggskye's posts

Is he totally blind in that eye? I don't know how he could be very impactful as a player, if that is the case. I only have one eye, and it is a challenge to even play catch, because of the lack of depth preception.

Will the NHL even let him play?

March 12, 2013 Eye Injuries In Hockey   This is Greg Neeld, the first player to wear a visor. He was a promising junior defenseman with the Toronto Marlboros. His career took a major turn on February 17th, 1974 when he lost his left eye thanks to an errant high stick courtesy of Kitchener's Dave Maloney.

But he tried to play on and was even drafted by both the NHL and the WHA. The WHA let him play (just 17 games with the Toronto Toros in 1975-76) but the NHL would not, despite Neeld's protective helmet featuring a visor then dubbed as "the Neeld Shield."

Neeld even took the NHL to court to try to play. The NHL refused to let a one-eyed player in the league, because if Neeld were to injure his good eye, the insurance costs of having a player to go blind due to injuries would be insane not to mention the bad publicity.

Bylaw 12:6 of the National Hockey League forbids players who are sightless in one eye from playing in the NHL. It states that players with one eye, or 3/60ths of normal vision, shall not be eligible to play for a member club. Loss of 75 percent of sight in an eye is required for insurance to take effect.

The regulation became known as the "Trushinski Bylaw" because of a major leaguer named Frank "Snoozer" Trushinski who played right defense for the Kitchener Greenshirts. According to NHL officials at the time, Trushinski lost sight in one eye due to a high stick in 1921. He came back and lost most of the sight in his other eye after fracturing his skull in another accident. The NHL didn't want that to risk having its players lose their eye sight and they didn't want to pay the high insurance costs, so they created Bylaw 12:6

Mrs. Trushinski once recalled her husband's problems several years after he died:

"A year or so before he lost his eye, his skull was fractured in a game against the Toronto Granites hockey team. He got along seeing, but not too well."

"All his life he had a film on his left eye, so he really had trouble after the puck hit his right eye; that was during a game in 1921 when a puck hit the eye. He never saw out of it again. He was able to work a long time, though, for Schneider's, a meat company in Kitchener, Ontario."

The Trushinski Bylaw became important in March 1939 when Toronto Maple Leafs left winger George Parsons lost his left eye in an injury during an NHL game at Maple Leaf Gardens against the Chicago Black Hawks.

"NHL president Frank Calder told me that I couldn't play in the NHL again" said Parsons, who was 25 at the time of forced retirement. "Calder said that the NHL governors wouldn't allow one eyed players in the league because of the Trushinski precedent. Calder said the NHL didn't want that happening again."

The ruling was challenged in June 1975 when forward Greg Neeld was drafted by the Buffalo Sabres of the NHL. Neeld had lost sight in one eye while playing amateur hockey in 1973. Neeld felt he could play with his specially designed helmet, featuring the first visor in hockey, nicknamed the Neeld Shield. Neeld's lawyer Roy McMurtry threatened to sue the NHL when Neeld was kept out of the league because of the Trushinski Bylaw.

NHL governors voted 13-3 (with two abstentions) to continue to bar one-eyed players from the league. The league felt that it could not afford to insure Neeld and that his special helmet could cause injury to other players. Neeld ended up playing in the WHA, which did not bar one-eyed players.

As far as I understand it, the Trushinski Bylaw still exists, but it has been successfully challenged. The NHL changed its policy and allowed Bryan Berard to play. The difference here is advances in medical technology. Berard had been fitted with a special contact lens that gave him more sight than Neeld had.

I absolutely cringe every time I see a player suffer a serious eye injury. It is probably the scariest injury in all of hockey. High sticks and flying pucks to face happen all too often in hockey. Name dropping could be an endless task, but here's just a few examples.

Bryan Berard,  Al MacInnis, Anders Hedberg, Kevin Smyth, Pierre Mondou, Hector Marini,  Jeff Libby, Mark Deyell, Jamie Hislop, Glen Sharpley, Steve Yzerman, Mattias Ohlund and Manny Malhotra.

If the NHL had their choice, all players would be required to wear a visor, or at least a grandfathered rule so that all newcomers would have to wear one. Close to 75% of the league wears visors already. All the newcomers from junior, college and European hockey have grown up wearing full or partial facial protection. It should be an easy and obvious decision, but for reasons no one can understand, the NHLPA opposes it. And until they back down from this irresponsible stance, we will always dismiss the NHLPA as an organization that lacks any leadership beyond the financial interests of the players. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to biggskye's comment:

Is he totally blind in that eye? I don't know how he could be very impactful as a player, if that is the case. I only have one eye, and it is a challenge to even play catch, because of the lack of depth preception.

Yes he is. Here is a recent photo of him:

The patch is very telling....

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from brunod. Show brunod's posts

That bum PC has put together a Stanley cup team and has set the B's up with picks that will help us for many years. PC that bum has set the Bruins up for many years to come and there are many teams that only hope they had a PC. The man needs to be resigned for a multi year contract and praised by Bruins FANS.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

It's the pirate costume that's telling.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Overall, pleased with PC.  I would grade him around B/B+.

On the plus side: 

- Key acquisitions to win a Cup

- Helping to build and secure a strong nucleus of young talent that assures a certain amount of long-range stability/success

- Effective Trades that typically work out in B's favor

- Quick mistake correction with Dave Lewis and hired Julien

On the negative side:

- Has not used all financial resources at his disposal to optimize roster (nearly $6M under this year, and hasn't spent to Savard LTIR money for past 2 years)

- Contracts: re-signing players have been slightly above market and have included NTC's (Kelly, Peverley & Boychuk have them)

- Drafting: since 2007, the only players drafted that have played over 30 NHL games are; Seguin, Caron & Hamilton.  2007 & 2008 Drafts are "F's", while the only rays of "hope" for 2009 are Caron & Tyler Randell.  Recent drafts have resulted in roster players and promising prospects in the system.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Chiarelli put together the team that won the Cup.  I will be forever grateful for that.

His drafting is a joke.

Hamill, Colbourne and Caron.  El Busto, El Busto and looking like El Busto.  His first round winners are Seguin (bushmen in the Sarengeti could have made that pick) and Hamilton (logical choice).  Don't bother telling me Subban was a winning draft pick as he's never played a pro game. 

Taking Seguin and Hamilton out of the story, since 2007, Chiarelli draft picks have 33 points.  Taking Caron out of that, they have EIGHT.

In 2007, the Habs selected Subban and Pacioretty.  256 combined points.

In 2008, the Rangers took Stepan and Del Zotto.  235 points.

There are always examples of people doing better or worse.  (I find draft history very interesting, as you may know.)  These were the first ones on Google, so I used them. 

Once again, before you click that "reply" button and attempt to blow me up:  I'm happy the Bruins won the Cup.  Chiarelli made a few very important moves to get the team there.  Without those moves, it is very unlikely we could have had a parade in 2011.  This is the present.  As we watch slug after slug get called up from Providence and fail, a review is in order.  Outside of two gimmes, no Chiarelli draft pick is an NHL player.  (NHL player = NHL playing time while never getting scratched for Pandopho.)  And that's poor.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"- Has not used all financial resources at his disposal to optimize roster (nearly $6M under this year, and hasn't spent to Savard LTIR money for past 2 years)"

This is Chiarelli's own fault as he had to use the LTIR in 2011 becuase of his ill advised previous extensions. Jacobs is the one who says yes or no to this. PC will have to got to JJ for the 2013-2014 season for Savard's money. Chiarelli had better hope there is a yes or he is going to have another 2009 and 2010 trade market, no cap room to take on contracts.

It is now up to Kelly and Peverley to prove their extensions were good business decesions, playoffs aren't a bad place to do it.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from KWPatsFan. Show KWPatsFan's posts

It was noted the Bruins have the least amount of amateur scouts in the NHL.  This stinks of a cheap Jacobs rather than PC's poor drafting abiity.  Source was a TSN conversation with ex bruin GM Mike O'Connell.

Sections
Shortcuts