thats why he plays

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from xdrive. Show xdrive's posts

thats why he plays

He's a fighter but he's more than that, give him a bit of space and.....snipe!!  Back off haters cuz he always has his teammates backs and he can play a little too!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

Re: thats why he plays

In response to xdrive's comment:
    [QUOTE]

He's a fighter but he's more than that, give him a bit of space and.....snipe!!  Back off haters cuz he always has his teammates backs and he can play a little too!!

[/QUOTE]

I agree, but he doesn't need to be in the lineup every night. If they continue this sitting him to allow Caron or someone else to play I'm OK with that.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from xdrive. Show xdrive's posts

I get that too but bringing spooner up to play 6-8 mins a game because people hate ST doesn't make sense to me either

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

Can't say I am a Thornton or a Caron fan... is there a third option?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:[QUOTE] He's a fighter but he's more than that, give him a bit of space and.....snipe!!  Back off haters cuz he always has his teammates backs and he can play a little too!! [/QUOTE]

I agree, but he doesn't need to be in the lineup every night. If they continue this sitting him to allow Caron or someone else to play I'm OK with that. [/QUOTE]

All I've asked for.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaymiller. Show jaymiller's posts

In response to Bruinfaninnewjersey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Jay Miller

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Joe

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

I would advocate ST getting a day off occasionally even if his TOI is only a few minutes.  Caron would be the logical replacement, if possible.  I would also promote AHL players for a game for NHL experience.  ST is a slow skater, he needs time to work on his mind set/energy.  He was active last night and he gave the Merlot line some toughness.  BTW Campbell simply should not fight.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from xdrive. Show xdrive's posts

In response to islamorada's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I would advocate ST getting a day off occasionally even if his TOI is only a few minutes.  Caron would be the logical replacement, if possible.  I would also promote AHL players for a game for NHL experience.  ST is a slow skater, he needs time to work on his mind set/energy.  He was active last night and he gave the Merlot line some toughness.  BTW Campbell simply should not fight.  

[/QUOTE]

yeah soupy just can't fight

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mxt. Show mxt's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Trent Whitfield....just kidding.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

In response to islamorada's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Campbell has to take care of our talented players such as Shawn Thornton who thinks he became Sidney Crosby since he scored 3 goals ....

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

I think Fletch predicted this thread yesterday if ST scored.

Thornton is a fighter who no longer fights. His 2-4 goals per year are of negligble impact considering almost anyone who replaces him will likely score the same amount, at least. If he's a dressing room guy, great, make him an assistant coach.

I had no problem with him when he was doing what he is paid to do...take on the leagues toughest so someone else doesn't have to. But he is no longer doing that. Case in point, Campbell last night.

Time to move on.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think Fletch predicted this thread yesterday if ST scored.

Thornton is a fighter who no longer fights. His 2-4 goals per year are of negligble impact considering almost anyone who replaces him will likely score the same amount, at least. If he's a dressing room guy, great, make him an assistant coach.

I had no problem with him when he was doing what he is paid to do...take on the leagues toughest so someone else doesn't have to. But he is no longer doing that. Case in point, Campbell last night.

Time to move on.

[/QUOTE]

LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE ....jmwalter ...I love you

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from tremha77. Show tremha77's posts

ultimately the bruins are a better team w/o ST in the line-up.  The need for his role is diminsihing rapidly in the NHL and the B's have lots of team toughness.  would rather see speed and slill in the line up.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

another option. matt fraser. spooner on the third and kelly on the fourth. thornton should remain on the roster, but not as an every day player. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaymiller. Show jaymiller's posts

Give this Shawn Thornton thing a rest already ....

Here's the bottom line: he's 36 years old and on the last year of his contract. Yes his speed and puglistic skills  aren't what they were, but that doesn't mean he isn't valuable. His presence on the bench keeps other teams from going goonery, which in turn keeps guys like Lucic or Chara on the ice vs the penalty box. The Bruins are a loyal organization and will utilize Thornton as much as they can this season, or until circumstances dictate otherwise.

From Wikipedia

credit the insertion of Thornton into the line-up during Game 3 of the Finals as a turning point for the series. Thornton's physical play changed the tone of the series and the Bruins went on to win four of the last five games with him in the line-up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shawn_Thornton

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to jaymiller's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Give this Shawn Thornton thing a rest already ....

Here's the bottom line: he's 36 years old and on the last year of his contract. Yes his speed and puglistic skills  aren't what they were, but that doesn't mean he isn't valuable. His presence on the bench keeps other teams from going goonery, which in turn keeps guys like Lucic or Chara on the ice vs the penalty box. The Bruins are a loyal organization and will utilize Thornton as much as they can this season, or until circumstances dictate otherwise.

From Wikipedia

credit the insertion of Thornton into the line-up during Game 3 of the Finals as a turning point for the series. Thornton's physical play changed the tone of the series and the Bruins went on to win four of the last five games with him in the line-up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shawn_Thornton

[/QUOTE]

No worries.  I fixed it.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Well, that was quick.  Someone at Wikipedia is awake and loves ST.

I tend to think there's really only one way to make this team even fractionally better by taking Thornton out of the lineup - and I mean fractionally. That's playing Spooner between Soderberg and Smith with Kelly on the fourth line.  I say this would potentially make a fractional difference because Kelly would continue to get about 15 shifts/game because he'll continue to play the PP, which Thornton didn't.  He might lose 3-4 shifts to Spooner, who would also get about 15 shifts (Thornton's 11 + the 3-4 from Kelly).

Thing is, Kelly is not a major upgrade on Thornton in terms of production.  They both have 3 goals.  Kelly has extra assists, but he has them playing with players who are better with the puck than he is.

The downside is I would now say that the 3rd line is no longer a defense first but you are expected to contribute offensively line.  They're a third line that has to score to contribute.  If they don't they aren't likely to be contributing physically or as an energy line.

Spooner's got 2 assists in 6 games of NHL experience.  That wouldn't be an acceptable tradeoff for changing the makeup of the third line.  He'd have to produce for it to be worth it.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

Here's the deal, Thornton's not going anywhere, case closed. At least not this year, really an old subject, but if it keeps Stanley busy and off the streets thats ok, i guess. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

When I saw this thread, I thought it would be a thread about why Tuuka played in the second game of back to backs. He was the main reason the B's won last night.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:
    [QUOTE]

When I saw this thread, I thought it would be a thread about why Tuuka played in the second game of back to backs. He was the main reason the B's won last night.

[/QUOTE]

Glad the B's have him locked up for 8 yrs.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Thornton is a fighter who no longer fights. 

[/QUOTE]

Silly and incorrect statement. He has 4 fights this year, most on the Bruins.

All one has to do is go to http://www.hockeyfights.com/players/299 to get the correct info which shows his fight totals have been near the league leaders every year.

Hate Thornton for your own satisfaction but get the facts correct at least.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"He'd have to produce for it to be worth it."

And here I thought Spooner would need to prove himself 1st in the AHL. Guess a point per game isn't enough.

Sections
Shortcuts