The 4th line

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

The 4th line

Has been fantastic & getting better by the game!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 306bruinsfan. Show 306bruinsfan's posts

Re: The 4th line

In Response to Re: The 4th line:
    [QUOTE]the 4th line has played well, but once again Claude's lack of flexibility and lack of smarts takes over. Recchi played poorly the whole game, as he has year to date, why not replace him with Seguin in the 3rd??  Thornton's goal, when he should have passed to an open Seguin, was lucky, and Thorny is not noted for his goal scoring. Claude is not the coach for these better offensive players, nor, so far, is anyone on his staff. He has shackled Seguin who fed Wheeler at least three potential goal opportunities; and the faultering play from Recchi has not helped Caron who mirrored Recchi with a long cross ice pass that was picked off. Wake up Claude, you are abusing talent.
    Posted by Bogie6[/QUOTE]

Recchi played because Seguin was having an awful game, turning over the puck, making bad passes, etc.  Recchi may have not played well but he was not making blatant mistakes.

And during Thorton's goal, the goalie took away the pass by going down so he roofed it backhand.  I wouldn't call that lucky.  I'd call that reading the situation and reacting.

The rookies have a lot of talent but at this point they aren't ready for tight checking games like this.  In time they'll get more minutes and given more responsibility.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

I'd be curious to see TOI tonight.  It seemed like they were out there all night to me.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MDsizzle. Show MDsizzle's posts

Just because its his first of the year does not make it a bad example, its just one of the many reasons why the 4th line has gotten so much ice time, because it has been earned and deserved. They are not starting this line on most games for nothing. CJ have the confidence to put them up against the top opposing line because they are solid defensively as well as have a ton of energy. Marchand and Campbell have been great on the PK also. So lets see, CJ starts the 4th line against the top opposing line, they are getting just as much playing time as the other lines (sometimes more), 2 of the 3 are on the PK (and doing very well, including Marchands shortie) they have a ton of energy and they have been creating some offense as well. I'm having a tough time believing you have some magical insight that CJ is not aware of...

I see a very impressive line, especially for the 4th.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The 4th line : ..and which line scored the goal to get us to OT? My guess is the line that deserved to be out there due to their solid play. I guess I can't tell that from looking at the score sheet. Please tell us which line that was, I forgot.
    Posted by MDsizzle[/QUOTE]

They also drew at least one penalty with their aggressive play in the third period. When it comes to getting this team going, in the past few games it's been the fourth line that's come through. Marchand has been a real spark plug, and he's fun to watch on the PK too.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]I was at the game Saturday night, and the so-called fourth line not only tied the game with seven minutes left, but played solidly all night. They're working their tails off, playing well, and consequently getting rewarded. It's a simple concept.  

Posted by duinne[/QUOTE]

Know what else is a simple concept?

Goal scorers should be on the ice when goals are needed.  Great, CJ rewarded guys who barely score (11, 22, 63 have a combined four goals in 11 games). 

And the Bruins lost the game.

If they were so great, where were they in OT?  Where were they in the shootout? 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

It was late in the 3rd and it did bother me a little to see the 4th line on again with the addition of Ryder ....  well made me feel a little better as he was having a good game.  Then Campbell got tripped due to their cycling in the Blues zone,  that's when I understood the 4th line does have it's place .
    As long as they don't get stuck playing against the 1st of their opponent and not get caught in their own zone I'm happy.  
    Important was that tweak Julien did keeping the center (Campbell) ,  Marchand that was working hard and the addition of Ryder to improve the 4th line.
    Thorton has been wroking hard but let's face it he's not the offensive guy needed when winning a game and he understands his role.  Pens game vs Cooke

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Getting scoring chances and playing almost every shift in the offensive zone . Is there any other line that the Bruins have that is playing more consistent ? And btw they have scored in the last two games. At the moment they are 4th line in name only.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MDsizzle. Show MDsizzle's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The 4th line : Know what else is a simple concept? Goal scorers should be on the ice when goals are needed.  Great, CJ rewarded guys who barely score (11, 22, 63 have a combined four goals in 11 games).  And the Bruins lost the game. If they were so great, where were they in OT?  Where were they in the shootout? 
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

..and which line scored the goal to get us to OT?

My guess is the line that deserved to be out there due to their solid play. I guess I can't tell that from looking at the score sheet. Please tell us which line that was, I forgot.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I don't mind seeing the 4th line rewarded with ice time in the 3rd period, since truly they seemed to be creating as many chances as any other line and were playing very well.

In overtime I would have liked to see just the top scorers out there.  Defense is largely insignificant in OT because there is nothing to lose (you get the point either way).  All the more reason to get your speed and scoring out there to take a crack at getting the extra point.  I would much rather see Seguin than Campbell in OT.  Speed kills at 4 on 4.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]The last time I saw the 4th line on the ice was with about 10 minutes left (I might be mistaken) I'm fine with that. Bergeron's line have not been consistent IMO where as earlier this season they were that line earned no ice time last night. Sitting Seguin and Caron late in the game had to be done in a 1 goal or tied game because you can't have any mistakes in a game like last night. I'm starting to think that PC or Cam spoke to Julien because he has been shortening the bench. I'm not pissed about the ultimate outcomes of the last 2 games because now I know the Bruins have the mojo to come back against very good teams. The 4th line earned ice time in the last 2 games IMO they've been consistent. Funny over on hfbaords last night posters were complaining that Campbell was a downgrade compared to Sobotka WHAT!? then Greg scores and of course all was well again. Campbell 25 for Begin 32 was a steal engineered by PC no doubt about it. He's the main reason for the 4th line sucess.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]

http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreports/20102011/TH020188.HTM

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from siestafiesta. Show siestafiesta's posts

"They are the fourth line for a reason.  They are not big scorers and they aren't great defenders."

Considering that Marchand and Campbell are 2 of their core penalty killers, it's pretty funny to say they aren't great defenders.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

They are the fourth line for a reason.  They are not big scorers and they aren't great defenders.

To see Marchand, Thornton and Campbell out there with two minutes left in a one goal game makes me insane.  I thought it was crazy that they were taking a regular shift when the minutes dropped to single digits in the third, but to have them out there then just doens't make sense.

They are doing a good job playing fourth line hockey.  They should not be on the ice during first or second line situations.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

Most consistent line on the team.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The 4th line : ..and which line scored the goal to get us to OT? My guess is the line that deserved to be out there due to their solid play. I guess I can't tell that from looking at the score sheet. Please tell us which line that was, I forgot.
    Posted by MDsizzle[/QUOTE]

Campbell was on the ice with Marchand and Ryder when he scored.  That's a poor example seeing as it was Campbell's first of the year.

Bigger picture, MD. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

[QUOTE]They are the fourth line for a reason.  They are not big scorers and they aren't great defenders. To see Marchand, Thornton and Campbell out there with two minutes left in a one goal game makes me insane.  I thought it was crazy that they were taking a regular shift when the minutes dropped to single digits in the third, but to have them out there then just doens't make sense. They are doing a good job playing fourth line hockey.  They should not be on the ice during first or second line situations.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]
    Well, say what you want. It was 2 members of the 4th line & 1 from the 3rd that tied it up. Besides the 1st line, they were the ones that did the most sustained pressure. With the exception of Ryder, the 2 & 3 lines didn't work hardly at all. The 2 rooks got benched for some of the 3rd & the ot. I'm with you on the last 10 min of a period that no 4th line should be out there. In this game though; they deserved to be out there. That line didn't get pushed around & left hemmed in their zone for long stretches.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

I was at the game Saturday night, and the so-called fourth line not only tied the game with seven minutes left, but played solidly all night. They're working their tails off, playing well, and consequently getting rewarded. It's a simple concept.  

Also, when looking at the TOI, remember that Marchand and Campell are one of the three pairs; Marchand had 1:30 in PK time, and Campbell 1:59.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

[QUOTE]The last time I saw the 4th line on the ice was with about 10 minutes left (I might be mistaken) I'm fine with that. Bergeron's line have not been consistent IMO where as earlier this season they were that line earned no ice time last night. Sitting Seguin and Caron late in the game had to be done in a 1 goal or tied game because you can't have any mistakes in a game like last night. I'm starting to think that PC or Cam spoke to Julien because he has been shortening the bench. I'm not pissed about the ultimate outcomes of the last 2 games because now I know the Bruins have the mojo to come back against very good teams. The 4th line earned ice time in the last 2 games IMO they've been consistent. Funny over on hfbaords last night posters were complaining that Campbell was a downgrade compared to Sobotka WHAT!? then Greg scores and of course all was well again. Campbell 25 for Begin 32 was a steal engineered by PC no doubt about it. He's the main reason for the 4th line sucess.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]

Er, yeah. Campbell scored with seven minutes left to tie the game.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]Getting scoring chances and playing almost every shift in the offensive zone . Is there any other line that the Bruins have that is playing more consistent ? And btw they have scored in the last two games. At the moment they are 4th line in name only.
    Posted by Chowdahkid-[/QUOTE]

With a combined 33 games, they have four goals.

That's a four line that is aptly named in my view.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

Here's the offical ice times.
    SHFFOWFOL
    Gregory Campbell4100011014:2422711
    Michael Ryder1010010015:472100
    Brad Marchand1010011014:271902
    Nathan Horton8000000217:352100
    David Krejci5000000220:32251311
    Mark Recchi4000000015:272012
    Milan Lucic3000000017:562302
    Tyler Seguin200000-1009:491544
    Adam Mcquaid1000000214:542600
    Patrice Bergeron1000000021:142399
    Blake Wheeler100000-1016:152100
    Zdeno Chara1000001029:153600
    Shawn Thornton1000000010:121400
    Andrew Ference10000011714:322100
    Mark Stuart0000000519:192700
    Dennis Seidenberg000000-1027:283300
    Matt Hunwick000000-1220:052500
    Jordan Caron0000000012:54

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The 4th line : I have no doubt we'll see Seguin in OT in games to come, but he was struggling last night and I can understand not wanting him on the ice in a 4-on-4 situation. Campbell has experience on the PK and understands the dynamics of a 4-on-4 better than Seguin at this time.
    Posted by duinne[/QUOTE]

Disagree.  That's fine for the 3rd period and 5 on 5 hockey, but overtime is when you run and gun for the extra point, not play it safe with guys like Campbell (who again, had a very nice game).

That's exactly why that overtime period seemed so slow and the Bruins never really threatened to score.  I want to see only their fastest most dynamic scorers out there at forward during the overtime, utilizing the space and fast breaks of 4 on 4 hockey.  Campbell having two shifts in the OT was a little disappointing.  Did you catch Seguin's shootout goal?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

[QUOTE]I don't mind seeing the 4th line rewarded with ice time in the 3rd period, since truly they seemed to be creating as many chances as any other line and were playing very well. In overtime I would have liked to see just the top scorers out there.  Defense is largely insignificant in OT because there is nothing to lose (you get the point either way).  All the more reason to get your speed and scoring out there to take a crack at getting the extra point.  I would much rather see Seguin than Campbell in OT.  Speed kills at 4 on 4.
    Posted by Fletcher1[/QUOTE]

I have no doubt we'll see Seguin in OT in games to come, but he was struggling last night and I can understand not wanting him on the ice in a 4-on-4 situation. Campbell has experience on the PK and understands the dynamics of a 4-on-4 better than Seguin at this time.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

the 4th line has played well, but once again Claude's lack of flexibility and lack of smarts takes over. Recchi played poorly the whole game, as he has year to date, why not replace him with Seguin in the 3rd??  Thornton's goal, when he should have passed to an open Seguin, was lucky, and Thorny is not noted for his goal scoring. Claude is not the coach for these better offensive players, nor, so far, is anyone on his staff. He has shackled Seguin who fed Wheeler at least three potential goal opportunities; and the faultering play from Recchi has not helped Caron who mirrored Recchi with a long cross ice pass that was picked off. Wake up Claude, you are abusing talent.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

With 2 minutes to go do you play 1st or 2nd line and risk being scored on, or do you put your 4th line on to make sure you skate off to OT having rested your 2 top lines, with an intermission break to start the OT with ?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from MDsizzle. Show MDsizzle's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The 4th line : They also drew at least one penalty with their aggressive play in the third period. When it comes to getting this team going, in the past few games it's been the fourth line that's come through. Marchand has been a real spark plug, and he's fun to watch on the PK too.
    Posted by duinne[/QUOTE]

Very true. I don't ever remember a 4th line contributing so much. I also agree about Marchand, he brings the energy to that line and creates opportunities Heck, Thornton even has doubled his goals aready. Campbell has been solid and was rewarded with the only goal last night and Marchand could have easily had a few more goals, just a little snakebitten to get his first.

I don't understand how you can not see this if you are actually watching the games??

Maybe nas was beaten up by Marchand when he was a kid or something...

Sections
Shortcuts