The 4th line

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Re: The 4th line

In Response to Re: The 4th line:
    [QUOTE]Just because its his first of the year does not make it a bad example, its just one of the many reasons why the 4th line has gotten so much ice time, because it has been earned and deserved. They are not starting this line on most games for nothing. CJ have the confidence to put them up against the top opposing line because they are solid defensively as well as have a ton of energy. Marchand and Campbell have been great on the PK also. So lets see, CJ starts the 4th line against the top opposing line, they are getting just as much playing time as the other lines (sometimes more), 2 of the 3 are on the PK (and doing very well, including Marchands shortie) they have a ton of energy and they have been creating some offense as well. I'm having a tough time believing you have some magical insight that CJ is not aware of... I see a very impressive line, especially for the 4th.
    Posted by MDsizzle[/QUOTE]

If the team is losing and there is left than 10 minutes left in the game, who is more likely to score:  A guy who is paid to score goals, or a guy who isn't?

Great.  Campbell got one.  In his 11th game, he got one.    Yahoo.  He's on pace for seven or eight goals total.  When the B's need a goal, he needs to be on the bench.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: The 4th line:[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The 4th line : Er, yeah. Campbell scored with seven minutes left to tie the game.
    Posted by duinne[/QUOTE]

Ryder got the assist when did he land on the 4th line ? Er...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The 4th line : Disagree.  That's fine for the 3rd period and 5 on 5 hockey, but overtime is when you run and gun for the extra point, not play it safe with guys like Campbell (who again, had a very nice game). That's exactly why that overtime period seemed so slow and the Bruins never really threatened to score.  I want to see only their fastest most dynamic scorers out there at forward during the overtime, utilizing the space and fast breaks of 4 on 4 hockey.  Campbell having two shifts in the OT was a little disappointing.  Did you catch Seguin's shootout goal?
    Posted by Fletcher1[/QUOTE]

Although he was benched late in the 3rd I was expecting Seguin on the ice in the OT,  it's like the coach saying "Kid,  show me what you got "  ,  not the case.  I would've loved to have seen Seguin on the open ice at least 1 shift.
    Agree Campbell was teamed with Horton and kind of wasting a goal scorer on that shift.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The 4th line : If the team is losing and there is left than 10 minutes left in the game, who is more likely to score:  A guy who is paid to score goals, or a guy who isn't? Great.  Campbell got one.  In his 11th game, he got one.    Yahoo.  He's on pace for seven or eight goals total.  When the B's need a goal, he needs to be on the bench.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]
    NAS, come on, your being stubborn on this one. You're smarter & know the game better than this. If you're goal scorer's aren't creating the chances they're paid to do (KHL line not included, but you can't triple shift these guys) & they're turning the puck over in their own end & trying to make rink wide passes that are getting picked off? I'm in agreement with you about using the 4th line when you're down a goal. There's exceptions to every rule though. The guys that scored that goal last night were the ones that deserved to be out there. Marchand, Ryder, Campbell, Stuart, Ference, Horton, Krejci & Rask were the best players on the ice last night.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

The last time I saw the 4th line on the ice was with about 10 minutes left (I might be mistaken) I'm fine with that. Bergeron's line have not been consistent IMO where as earlier this season they were that line earned no ice time last night.

Sitting Seguin and Caron late in the game had to be done in a 1 goal or tied game because you can't have any mistakes in a game like last night. I'm starting to think that PC or Cam spoke to Julien because he has been shortening the bench.

I'm not pissed about the ultimate outcomes of the last 2 games because now I know the Bruins have the mojo to come back against very good teams. The 4th line earned ice time in the last 2 games IMO they've been consistent.

Funny over on hfbaords last night posters were complaining that Campbell was a downgrade compared to Sobotka WHAT!? then Greg scores and of course all was well again. Campbell 25 for Begin 32 was a steal engineered by PC no doubt about it. He's the main reason for the 4th line sucess.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Somebody's following me around again and knocking at my door . But you can't come in . Maybe you can talk hockey with someone who understands you .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laxyoaHOP1c

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The 4th line : If the team is losing and there is left than 10 minutes left in the game, who is more likely to score:  A guy who is paid to score goals, or a guy who isn't? Great.  Campbell got one.  In his 11th game, he got one.    Yahoo.  He's on pace for seven or eight goals total.  When the B's need a goal, he needs to be on the bench.

Disagree. It's called in game coaching . Players who are playing the best play . What good is it for the guy who is getting paid to score goals being out there and he's not doing anything other then playing in his own end or not creating anything offensively that night ? If any player is playing good that night keep throwing them out there.

Just another way of being held accountable for effort and contributing on the ice .

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The 4th line : Disagree.  That's fine for the 3rd period and 5 on 5 hockey, but overtime is when you run and gun for the extra point, not play it safe with guys like Campbell (who again, had a very nice game). That's exactly why that overtime period seemed so slow and the Bruins never really threatened to score.  I want to see only their fastest most dynamic scorers out there at forward during the overtime, utilizing the space and fast breaks of 4 on 4 hockey.  Campbell having two shifts in the OT was a little disappointing.  Did you catch Seguin's shootout goal?

Yes, I was at the game. And Campbell played well throughout the game, Seguin did not, and that's why Campbell played in the OT and Seguin didn't. Some people accuse Julien of having everything set in stone and not making in-game changes. He does. As I said, down the road Seguin will most certainly get his share of OT time. Last night, he didn't deserve it.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

"Our young kids -- we're talking about [Tyler] Seguin here, [Jordan] Caron was in the same boat -- I felt that these last two games [against the Capitals and Blues] were against big teams, high tempo, and a lot going on," said Claude Julien. "It seemed like it was a bit of a struggle for these guys at some points. So you got to go with a little bit more experience, especially when you're down by a goal."

Okay, here is my point:  Fine, bench Seguin for the third period.  No problem there.

But the Bruins weren't "down by a goal" in overtime.  If you look at the way the points work, there is no reason to play safe in overtime by having more experienced 4th line guys out there.  You can't lose a point -- you can only gain a point.  So you try to do everything you can to score and you use your most dynamic scorers.  Same principal as the shootout really.

Seguin offers the dynamic of speed and scoring ability that is lethal in 4 on 4 hockey.  Campbell does not.  He had two shifts in overtime that resulted no scoring chances at all.  I would have preferred to see Seguin out there in OT instead of settling for one point.  OT is no time to play it safe!  That's the whole reason the NHL set it up the way they did.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The 4th line : Why did he "deserve" a spot in the shootout then?? We may just have to agree to disagree on this, duinne.  I agree about Campbell playing better than Seguin during the game.  I still would have liked to see them use Seguin in overtime.  To heck with responsible two-way hockey in OT -- get your speed and skill out there and go for the win. If it was as simple as Seguin being punished, then why have him in the shootout? This is not an indictment of Julien, who I like, I just would like to see them use Seguin in 4 on 4 OT because I think he presents more of a threat to score than Campbell.  Thought it was a mistake last night.

He wasn't being punished, as I noted before. It's all about learning.

Julien noticed both Seguin and Caron were having difficulty keeping with the pace demanded by the talented Blues. But he indicated the move wasn't a referendum on the way Seguin has been playing lately, or general unhappiness with the rookie simply going through a funk in his game....

..."Our young kids -- we're talking about [Tyler] Seguin here, [Jordan] Caron was in the same boat -- I felt that these last two games [against the Capitals and Blues] were against big teams, high tempo, and a lot going on," said Claude Julien. "It seemed like it was a bit of a struggle for these guys at some points. So you got to go with a little bit more experience, especially when you're down by a goal.

"Certainly, you know, [Seguin's] a young kid that's learning. It's certainly not a negative thing. It was more about making the right decision as a coach with some young guys who were, I guess, struggling a little bit with the pace."

Seguin's struggles included tossing drop-back passes to nobody in the vicinity while attacking in the first period, and hatching backhanded passes off the boards in his own zone that landed right on the stick of St. Louis forecheckers. It's unlike the precious puck prodigy to treat the puck like a ticking hand grenade, but there it was out in the open as a classroom on the ice for Seguin.

Those kinds of mistakes can kill you in a game against a rising, improving team like the Blues, who are riding a six-game winning streak after holding on for the 2-1 shootout victory Saturday night.

The silver lining comes in a couple of different forms for Seguin and the Bruins: After sitting for all the third period and overtime, he was able to cash in on a nifty backhanded shootout goal that was vintage Seguin. The 18-year-old brandished one of the big areas he's going to immediately impact the Black and Gold team.

In the end it's all just a part of the maturity process for a young kid in the NHL.

http://www.csnne.com/11/07/10/Seguin-benched-still-contributes-in-shoo/v1_landing_bruins.html?blockID=347543&feedID=3944

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The 4th line : Although he was benched late in the 3rd I was expecting Seguin on the ice in the OT,  it's like the coach saying " Kid,  show me what you got "  ,  not the case.  I would've loved to have seen Seguin on the open ice at least 1 shift. Agree Campbell was teamed with Horton and kind of wasting a goal scorer on that shift.
    Posted by BsLegion[/QUOTE]

The only thing I can think of that makes any sense is that Caron & Seguin were being told. "You can't be trusted TONIGHT; with the Blues puck pursuit." Seguin & Caron are still growing. The Blues have some big bodies that can skate. TJ Oshie being just one. Not a fan of Campbell out there in OT either. Let's hope this isn't going to be one of CJ's brainwaves for all the B's OT this season.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

Yep...just like Byron Bitz, Paille and Begin. They were all "playing good" - good enough for CJ to "throw them out there" with the first line last year.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

First of all I missed the first period on NESN.  Secondly, a person who watches a game live has a better perspective on positional play.  Last, I am not a supporter of the CJ offensive system.   

Now that said, the regular season play is important in the new NHL as one point can make the difference in the final standings.  CJ was trying to get the one point.  He did with Campbell on the ice at the end of the game!  The 4 on 4 play in OT should have included Seguin and Caron nonetheless.  If you are going to build for the playoffs the rookies have to play in November. Seguin offensive skills on open ice are obvious... look at the shootout.  

In other words, CJ was using players who were playing positionally the best during the game.  He benched players, rookies, as their play was seemingly off in a close game.  He did not adjust though when the time was set to win the game in OT.  Seguin should have been played with Krejci out of the lineup.  IMO CJ weakness as a coach was observed in last nights game.  Lastly, 4th liners are no goal scores... totally agree.  Offensive schemes do have risks in defensive play.  Loosen up CJ!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The 4th line : Yes, I was at the game. And Campbell played well throughout the game, Seguin did not, and that's why Campbell played in the OT and Seguin didn't. Some people accuse Julien of having everything set in stone and not making in-game changes. He does. As I said, down the road Seguin will most certainly get his share of OT time. Last night, he didn't deserve it.
    Posted by duinne[/QUOTE]

Why did he "deserve" a spot in the shootout then??

We may just have to agree to disagree on this, duinne.  I agree about Campbell playing better than Seguin during the game.  I still would have liked to see them use Seguin in overtime.  To heck with responsible two-way hockey in OT -- get your speed and skill out there and go for the win.

If it was as simple as Seguin being punished, then why have him in the shootout?

This is not an indictment of Julien, who I like, I just would like to see them use Seguin in 4 on 4 OT because I think he presents more of a threat to score than Campbell.  Thought it was a mistake last night.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MDsizzle. Show MDsizzle's posts

Um, first off, with 10 min left in the game, basically everyone will have a few shifts...

So you are faulting the coach for, coaching? Do you think he should have just pulled out his iphone went to his Line Change App, punched in the score and the time left in the game and put out what the app tells you?

All we are saying here is the 4th line has been playing very solid, and should be getting the ice time that they ARE getting.

Sections
Shortcuts