The 6 Most Perplexing Decisions Of The NHL Offseason

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

The 6 Most Perplexing Decisions Of The NHL Offseason

Grantland takes look at six summer decisions made by NHL teams seen by them to be the most puzzling so far.  When I saw the title I quickly thought the Seguin deal might be in there.  It's not but another Bruin management choice is. 

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/69338/the-six-most-perplexing-decisions-of-the-nhl-offseason

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

Re: The 6 Most Perplexing Decisions Of The NHL Offseason

I'll hold off commenting on the B's one until shupe checks in.

But looking at the others, TO getting Bernier had me scratching my head.  But as we know, no one tells the truth anymore.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to hangnail's comment:

But looking at the others, TO getting Bernier had me scratching my head.  But as we know, no one tells the truth anymore.

I dont need to comment on this.  

Bernier to the leafs i think is a great thing.  Two young goalies battling to be the starter.   

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

should we just start a downgoesbrown thread at this point? so much great stuff coming out of there. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

I don't see how the Bernier trade is perplexing. I would have Khudobin signing with the Canes on that list. As long as Cam Ward is healthy, and he now is, Khudobin does not have a chance at number one there. On teams like Edmonton,Calgary,Philly etc..I think he could have had a legit shot at being the number one, especially for 800,000.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I think the Flames going with Ramo is perplexing.  I'm not sure any of the others are all that puzzling really.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:

I dont need to comment on this.  

Bernier to the leafs i think is a great thing.  Two young goalies battling to be the starter.   

Just grinding your gears shupe! And I thought Nonis came out and clearly stated Reimer was his man.  Just posturing I guess.

I know you were.  I play well with others.  Haha.  I think bernier is going to be given 35-40 gms.  I bet they split time unless reimer goes nuts.  Reimer is a good goalie.  Looking fwd to seeing what bernier can do.  Win win for the leafs.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:

I think the Flames going with Ramo is perplexing.  I'm not sure any of the others are all that puzzling really.  

I think the flames are the new oilers. They are going to finish last a lot.  Id be dealing cammalleri, glencross and giordano for the best return.  Likely at the deadline.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I think the flames are the new oilers. They are going to finish last a lot.  Id be dealing cammalleri, glencross and giordano for the best return.  Likely at the deadline.  

I agree they are going to stink and may end up dealing pieces of value at the trade deadline.

But I'm not sure that is an excuse not to get a decent goalie.  You're still an NHL team that is trying to win games, I think.  Anton Khudoban could have been had for $1 million, apparently.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

I'd read news about Bernier while a King and it seemed to usually be pretty good write-ups about him i.e., to paraphrase, excellent NHL-level talent, he'd be the LA starter Quick weren't there.  This kind of thing, hang. 

In his post-Game 7 press conference I'm sure I'd heard Nonis, who received a 5-year extension from Lieweke today, say the Leafs were satisfied with Reimer.  I incorrectly assumed that statement included Schrivens in the assessment. 

The trade for Bernier upgrades their situation in goal but I honestly figured they were going to address their need for a what I've repeatedly heard described up here as a big, strong, horse of a center.  I didn't envision Bozak as that guy.  They may still try to get whom they think fits that bill.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

I know you were.  I play well with others.  Haha.  I think bernier is going to be given 35-40 gms.  I bet they split time unless reimer goes nuts.  Reimer is a good goalie.  Looking fwd to seeing what bernier can do.  Win win for the leafs.  

Exactly, shupe.  I'd take Bernier over the departed Schrivens and Nonis did.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

I agree they are going to stink and may end up dealing pieces of value at the trade deadline.

But I'm not sure that is an excuse not to get a decent goalie.  You're still an NHL team that is trying to win games, I think.  Anton Khudoban could have been had for $1 million, apparently.

Yeah there are a few teams that should have grabbed him, the flames being one, i think they received goalie prospects in soe of their trades.   Winning gms doesnt get you 1st overall picks.  Sure they have to come in to play and do their best.  But lets not kid ourselves, they added nothing in ufa.   They have a boat load of cap space, no franchise player, nothing really exciting to watch.  Start at ground zero, rebuild through the draft.  I think flames fans are smart enough to realize they have an ahl team.   

Khudo would have been an ideal pickup.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

It did allot for the Bruins in the beginning of the 2011 season, Thomas wanted then won his job back. Having two good goalies battling is always great.

The NHL allowing the Yotes to remain in Arizona, the horrrific names for the NHL divisions, Clowes contract are more perplexing than the writers assertions.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

It did allot for the Bruins in the beginning of the 2011 season, Thomas wanted then won his job back. Having two good goalies battling is always great.

The NHL allowing the Yotes to remain in Arizona, the horrrific names for the NHL divisions, Clowes contract are more perplexing than the writers assertions.

Well done, those are certainly perplexing, especially the divsion names.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Kovalchuk to the KHL...?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Kovalchuk to the KHL...?

How the heck did I forget about that? Better yet, how did Grantland forget about it?

Nathan Horton getting as much as he did was kind of suprising.

With all this, how is the Bernier trade the first one on that list? That article is becoming more perplexing by the minute.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Kovalchuk to the KHL...?

I think that one is the opposite of perplexing.  The guy gets to go home and make the same money in half the time.  I think most people would want that.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

Kovalchuk to the KHL...?

I think that one is the opposite of perplexing.  The guy gets to go home and make the same money in half the time.  I think most people would want that.

I would   Plus zero boo boos in that mens rec league hockey.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

T-Bay signed Valtteri Filppula to a 5 year, $25 million contract.  His breakout season was 2011/12 when he had 66 points on 23 goals and 43 assists in 81 games.  This was a full year before his Red Wing deal ended.  Last year he had 9 goals, 8 assists for 17 points in 41 games. 

Question: Is his new contract based on the assumption he returns to his 2011/2012 form because he's going to be paid like it. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

I find the Panthers ticket prices to be perplexing. Turns out I'm not the only one:

http://welcometoyourkarlssonyears.com/2013/07/24/today-we-are-all-ottawa-senators-season-seat-holders/

Great stuff.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[/QUOTE]

I would   Plus zero boo boos in that mens rec league hockey.  

[/QUOTE]

Still find it perplexing.  You've got one of the best players in the world and a guy who was a fierce and physical competitor while in Atlanta, and he gives it up to play in the B League.  Might as well be a beer league ringer and he's got more money than he could ever spend on the table in either league.  Now he can duck the top competition to go to a place where team planes crash and guys die on the ice while coaches look for first aid kits.  Not to mention living in the greatest city in the world vs. shuttling across Siberia all winter.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

I know you were.  I play well with others.  Haha.  I think bernier is going to be given 35-40 gms.  I bet they split time unless reimer goes nuts.  Reimer is a good goalie.  Looking fwd to seeing what bernier can do.  Win win for the leafs.  

[/QUOTE]

I guess my head scratching was due to the fact that Nonis came out and proclaimed Reimer as his guy.  Then he goes out and signs Bernier for almost twice the money of what Reimer makes.  Who's the back-up here?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

I guess my head scratching was due to the fact that Nonis came out and proclaimed Reimer as his guy.  Then he goes out and signs Bernier for almost twice the money of what Reimer makes.  Who's the back-up here?

[/QUOTE]

They'll probably use training camp and the exhibition games to settle things, hang.  Maybe it'll be a 1 and 1a situation with Carlyle going with whomever has the hot hand.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Still find it perplexing.  You've got one of the best players in the world and a guy who was a fierce and physical competitor while in Atlanta, and he gives it up to play in the B League.  Might as well be a beer league ringer and he's got more money than he could ever spend on the table in either league.  Now he can duck the top competition to go to a place where team planes crash and guys die on the ice while coaches look for first aid kits.  Not to mention living in the greatest city in the world vs. shuttling across Siberia all winter.

Newark is the greatest city in the world?  LOL 

Sections
Shortcuts