The amnesty buyout period starts today: Aaron Rome on waivers already

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

The amnesty buyout period starts today: buyout tracker

Renaud Lavoie 

"Stars buyout the last year contract of Aaron Rome. He's on waivers today. #tvasports"

5. Anton Volchenkov, Devils. At $4.25 million per season for the next two years, Volchenkov is the fourth-highest paid player on New Jersey – ahead of goalie Cory Schneider ($4 million) – and their top-earning blueliner. However, the 32-year-old Russian plays an average of just 16:47 per game – dead last among Devils D-men. He’s also missed at least 10 games every season since 2006-07.
    The Devils currently have $57.7 million in used salary cap space for the 2014-15 campaign; if they hope to bring back unrestricted free agent defenseman Mark Fayne – and when they need to sign Schneider to a new deal next summer – using Volchenkov’s money will be a big help.

4. Marc-Andre Fleury, Penguins. Maybe new Penguins GM Jim Rutherford will find a taker for the final season (and the $5 million cap hit) of Fleury’s contract. However, there aren’t a slew of teams looking for a No. 1 goalie whose performance has been spotty when the games matter most.
    The Pens are another team with major cap challenges – they’ve got decisions to make on UFA blueliners Matt Niskanen and Brooks Orpik, as well was UFA winger Jussi Jokinen and restricted free agent Brandon Sutter – and freeing up cap space via a Fleury buyout makes sense. It also makes sense from a personal perspective for the 29-year-old, who could use a change of scenery at this point. Rutherford has said he doesn’t expect to use his compliance buyouts, but things can change, especially if he makes a move for different look in net – say, Carolina’s Cam Ward – and can’t unload Fleury in a trade.

3. David Booth, Canucks Booth is a shadow of the player he was when he signed a six-year, $25.5-million deal with the Florida in 2009 and was a source of buyout speculation last summer. With goalie Roberto Luongo dealt to the Panthers, Booth’s deal becomes the main contract on Vancouver’s roster worth amnestying. He’s got one year left on it (at a $4.25 million cap hit) and new GM Jim Benning can use that money to ease his team’s cap burden, which already is hefty at $60.2 million.
    If, after a buyout, Booth gets more than half that salary on the open market, many would be surprised; this is a player who was on the ice an average of 13:28 last season.

2. Brad Richards, Rangers Is Richards a husk of a talent former Rangers coach John Tortorella was justified in scapegoating in the 2013 post-season? No. His 20-goal, 51-point regular season was respectable and his veteran leadership would benefit any team. Unfortunately for him, the specter of the NHL’s punitive cap recapture penalties is too ominous for Blueshirts GM Glen Sather to ignore.
    If the Rangers find some way to justify keeping Richards around, it should be the last straw for Sather’s tenure. The team’s cap situation isn’t pretty ($63.5 million in salary already committed to next season, and new contracts needed for RFAs Chris Kreider, Derick Brassard and Mats Zuccarello) dictates the organization needs to bid adieu to Richards, even in the immediate wake of its Stanley Cup Final appearance. Ultimately, this is all about Sather’s typical largesse coming back to bite him again.

1. Ville Leino, Sabres The Sabres are the only one of the teams on this list who aren’t in cap trouble, but the Leino contract stinks like a limburger cheese factory destroyed by a collision with a curry truck and must be disposed of this off-season.
    Buffalo fans have over the years been accustomed to good players leaving town for big money paydays elsewhere, so seeing a bad player leaving town for a fraction of the payday with another NHL team – if the 30-year-old Finn doesn’t leave for the KHL or another pro league, that is – will be a novelty. The only question about Leino’s future is what day Sabres GM Tim Murray announces the buyout."

There will be some interesting ones for sure.

Playoffs: Reilly Smith > Tyler Seguin

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Re: The amnesty buyout period starts today: Aaron Rome on waivers already

Not surprised by any of these. The only one I would be interested in possibly is Volchenkov, provided he comes relatively cheap after his buyout. And pray he does not end up once again on IR...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Not surprised by any of these. The only one I would be interested in possibly is Volchenkov, provided he comes relatively cheap after his buyout. And pray he does not end up once again on IR...

[/QUOTE]

I like that Volchenkov plays a rugged style but that's sort of what works against him regarding the injuries.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to dezaruchi's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I like that Volchenkov plays a rugged style but that's sort of what works against him regarding the injuries.

[/QUOTE]

Very true, Dez. If only the guy could just stay healthy...he is a monster out there-when he does play.

Maybe with ties to PC from his Sens days the B's could get him for cheap....probably not though.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

It's just a pure delight to read this forum today.  Warms my heart to see MAF in this conversation as well as no talk of any Bruins being bought out.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

I played hockey against Renaud Lavoie , he's a feisty little MOFO. 

David Booth should go back to Florida.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to BsLegion's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I played hockey against Renaud Lavoie , he's a feisty little MOFO. 

David Booth should go back to Florida.

[/QUOTE]

They have plenty of average players making too much money!  See:  Bergenheim, Kopecky, Fleischmann

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

They have plenty of average players making too much money!  See:  Bergenheim, Kopecky, Fleischmann

[/QUOTE]

You missed Upshall or is he finally a ufa?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"but the Leino contract stinks like a limburger cheese factory destroyed by a collision with a curry truck and must be disposed of this off-season.'

Terrible contract like "stinky cheese". Pretty much remember everyone on BDC predicting this contract was straight up awful.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=675349&navid=nhl:topheads

Buyout tracker

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=722919&navid=nhl:topheads" rel="nofollow">http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=722919&navid=nhl:topheads

The Buffalo Sabres will place forward Ville Leino on waivers Tuesday with the intent of using one of their two compliance buyouts on him, according to multiple reports.

Leino, 30, has three years remaining on a six-year, $27 million contract he signed prior to the 2011-12 season. The annual average value of the remaining contract is $4.5 million per season.

Leino signed the contract after he set career highs with 19 goals and 53 points for the Philadelphia Flyers in 2011-12. He did not have a goal in 58 games this season and had 15 assists. Leino has 10 goals and 46 points in 137 games with the Sabres.

"Free agency starts first of July, and we'll go from there," Leino's agent, Markus Lehto, told the Buffalo News, adding Leino was not surprised by the buyout. "His priority is to play in the NHL. He knows he's a very good NHL player. Obviously, the past two seasons have been just average, I would say, but I'm not going to go and try and analyze what happened. I mean, we'll just look forward."

No brainer.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

aw shucks, not nearly as much fun as listening to the Habs, Flyers Rangers and etc. use their compliance buyouts.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Booth now too:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=455024" rel="nofollow">http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=455024

Not surprising in the least

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to BadHabitude's comment:[QUOTE] aw shucks, not nearly as much fun as listening to the Habs, Flyers Rangers and etc. use their compliance buyouts.   [/QUOTE]

Well at least we can laugh at the canuckleheads now. I want Benning to do well but not that well.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:
    [QUOTE]

You missed Upshall or is he finally a ufa?

[/QUOTE]

Upshall earns his money.  The rest of them don't!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

On the cheap id like brad richards.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:[QUOTE] On the cheap id like brad richards.  [/QUOTE]

Bruins have plenty of left handed shots, need right-handed shots on the 1st and 3rd.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to shuperman's comment:[QUOTE] On the cheap id like brad richards.  [/QUOTE]

Bruins have plenty of left handed shots, need right-handed shots on the 1st and 3rd.

[/QUOTE]

I agree.  Ive been saying that for a bit.  But on the cheap id still take him.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Eriksson and smith are natural rws that shoot left. If the bruins got rid of Kelly's contract and signed Richards for similar dollars I would be thrilled with an Richards soderberg eriksson line

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to bostonfan191646's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Eriksson and smith are natural rws that shoot left. If the bruins got rid of Kelly's contract and signed Richards for similar dollars I would be thrilled with an Richards soderberg eriksson line

[/QUOTE]

I like that as well.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't mind Richards, but not at Kelly money... it's still too much!!!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I'll take that, but I really think Chiarelli wants a right handed forward..

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

I'm going to do my Stanley prediction imitation. 

The Bruins will not sign any bought out players or UFA's for next year. There will be no interest on those fronts.

All new players going to the Bruins will be acquired by trade or brought up from Providence.

And no I will not be sitting at the draft table.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to Chowdahkid-'s comment:
    [QUOTE]

I'm going to do my Stanley prediction imitation. 

The Bruins will not sign any bought out players or UFA's for next year. There will be no interest on those fronts.

All new players going to the Bruins will be acquired by trade or brought up from Providence.

And no I will not be sitting at the draft table.

[/QUOTE]

I think you could be right.  I see Loui as the guy moving to the top line.  I do think Iggy might stay though.  Which would essentially give us the same team minus the dancing ape.  

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

How many buyouts are you allowed?  How much of the buyout counts against the cap.  The Bruins might have to use one of them on Kelly.  They are now listed as the highest payroll team with the cap penalties from last season.  Boy oh boy I don't get a good feeling for the cap jail that this team is in.

Street hockey is great for kids. It’s energetic, competitive, and skillful. And best of all it keeps them off the street.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

In response to MeanE's comment:
    [QUOTE]

How many buyouts are you allowed?  How much of the buyout counts against the cap.  The Bruins might have to use one of them on Kelly.  They are now listed as the highest payroll team with the cap penalties from last season.  Boy oh boy I don't get a good feeling for the cap jail that this team is in.

Street hockey is great for kids. It’s energetic, competitive, and skillful. And best of all it keeps them off the street.

[/QUOTE]
    Each team is allowed just 2 amnesty buyouts. The buyout is a product of the lower than expected cap coming out of the lock out. Once you've used your 2 you're done. Montreal already used theirs as they bought out Gomez and Kaberle.

The salary is gone as far as the cap is concerned but based on the players age the team has to pay either 1/3 or 2/3 of the salary. And I think the team gets to stretch that out over twice the length of what was left on the contract.

Sections
Shortcuts