The "Energy" Line

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sportsnutty. Show Sportsnutty's posts

The "Energy" Line

I don't think the Bruins are so far out of the woods to make a big stink about the play of their 4th line, but clearly I'm at the stage of sniffing around to see what stinks and looking at the dog.
    Last year, being last year, the 4th line of Campbell, Thornton, and Paille had a fairly significant role for the team. Bring "energy" and a tenacious hounding of the puck was their mandate and I loved it. It was a absolute bonus that these guys did some scoring as well. Collectively I think they did their job well and potted nearly 30 goals to boot.
    However this year, the same cant be said. All three are minus players and unlike last year when they came on the ice you see them almost playing defensively, rather than the aggressive checking/harassing play of last year. And they have combined for a whopping 3 goals so far.
    My question is, I suppose, what to do? Does Claude 2.0 make changes he seems more willing to make this year? I'll tell you this much, all three are getting roughly the same amount of TOI. Only Thorton is logging 2 minutes less TOI from this year to last.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

Re: The "Energy" Line

I would like to see Caron riding wing on the 4th line. Put Thornton in the press box most nights.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SomethingBrewin. Show SomethingBrewin's posts

With 24 goals scored in their last 4 games, I doubt you'll see any changes in lines.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tom857. Show Tom857's posts

I disagree with your assessment that they aren't doing those things. The whole team got off to a poor start, so it's not surprising there stats are down, but as you said, their scoring is a bonus. Thorton's TOI is down primarily because the RW situation is different. Rex and Seguin last year weren't logging as many minutes as Seguin and Peverely this year. I think Thornton's reduced minutes has more to do with the players in front of him than the coach thinking he's going down hill. If someone disagrees with the philosophy of having an enforcer, that's fine, but the Bruins clearly buy into it, and Thornton's a good one who, additionally, can play a lot better than most. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: The "Energy" Line:
    [QUOTE]I would like to see Caron riding wing on the 4th line. Put Thornton in the press box most nights.
    Posted by WalkTheLine[/QUOTE]
    Walk, I've wondered for awhile now why Thornton dresses almost every game. I understand he's got a role with the team. I just think he should be treated more like some of the league's other fighters. Dress when it's felt he's needed, sit when he's not. I agree with you. Most nights, he isn't really needed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from nrguy. Show nrguy's posts

If you are complaining about the 4th line, there really isn't much to complain about. Thornton is your clown who can play and Campbell and Paille are two of your best defensive forwards.

Did you really expect the 4th line to play better than last year when Marchand was on the line?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]If you are complaining about the 4th line, there really isn't much to complain about. Thornton is your clown who can play and Campbell and Paille are two of your best defensive forwards. Did you really expect the 4th line to play better than last year when Marchand was on the line?
    Posted by nrguy[/QUOTE]
    Nope. I just expect them to play better than they have.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Do You expect the 4th line to play better than last year ? No, but it would certainly help Paille and Campbell's effort if their right wing had more skill and smarts. No question that Thorny ignites the crowd when he fights. He ignites nothing when he cannot find an opponent. he has been valuable in the past, but this is a bigger, stronger Bruins team and guys like McQuaid can step up when needed. In addition, good clean solid checks, like Chara laid on Taylor last night, are more consistently beneficial.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sportsnutty. Show Sportsnutty's posts

[QUOTE]If you are complaining about the 4th line, there really isn't much to complain about. Thornton is your clown who can play and Campbell and Paille are two of your best defensive forwards. Did you really expect the 4th line to play better than last year when Marchand was on the line?
    Posted by nrguy[/QUOTE]

Well yes, I am complaining. Last year was last year, this year is its own seperate entity in my mind.  And this year, the fourth line that has a job to do and isnt doing it (i.e. play aggressive defensive energetic hockey) for about 11 minutes is worth mentioning. Their play is a weak link as the only line playing at a "minus". My question remains, is that ok? Or what might be done about it?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The "Energy" Line : Walk, I've wondered for awhile now why Thornton dresses almost every game. I understand he's got a role with the team. I just think he should be treated more like some of the league's other fighters. Dress when it's felt he's needed, sit when he's not. I agree with you. Most nights, he isn't really needed.
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

Hater

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The "Energy" Line : Hater
    Posted by shuperman[/QUOTE]
    That's harsh. I'm more of a disliker.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

I was thinking of starting a new thread on this, but this is pretty close.  So, of the available choices for bottom six forward, who stays and who goes?  Assuming Peverley and Kelly are safe for this discussion, that leaves Paille, Campbell, Thornton, Poulliot, Caron, Hammil...six guys for 4 spots.  Who's out?  I have to say Poulliot and Thornton at this point.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]I was thinking of starting a new thread on this, but this is pretty close.  So, of the available choices for bottom six forward, who stays and who goes?  Assuming Peverley and Kelly are safe for this discussion, that leaves Paille, Campbell, Thornton, Poulliot, Caron, Hammil...six guys for 4 spots.  Who's out?  I have to say Poulliot and Thornton at this point.  
    Posted by scooter244[/QUOTE]
    That's the choice I'd make.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The "Energy" Line : Their play is a weak link as the only line playing at a "minus".
    Posted by Sportsnutty[/QUOTE]

Campbell and Paille are -1 and Thornton is a -2 on a team with as many losses as wins.

Trade 'em all. 

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]I don't understand the dumping so much on Thornton.   We all now his role as instigator/fighter, but it does get overshadowed by his effort when he's actually playing.   The 4th line has a purpose: to buzz around in the other end, create havoc, and play keep away while our "scoring" lines take a breather. All I've seen from Thornton since last year is a guy who hustles, forechecks, and actually is even willing to shoot the puck.   The line was superb last year.  Why mess with it?
    Posted by ipot[/QUOTE]
    Because it isn't superb this year. Do you think Thornton should dress for 82 games? I wouldn't mind seeing a 4 man rotation on line 4.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from LB34. Show LB34's posts

I agree with a 4 man rotation but overall the 4th line is fine. They play 10 shifts a night and with a salary cap you just can't have 12 excellent forwards unless most are young rfa's. 22 plays every night on my team. If your going to dress a guy that cant score i would opt for energy and physical play then mistake prone soft players like Pouliot and Paille. I'm more concerned with Hortons inability to finish scoring chances.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sportsnutty. Show Sportsnutty's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The "Energy" Line : Campbell and Paille are -1 and Thornton is a -2 on a team with as many losses as wins. Trade 'em all. 
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

As you know, +/- isn't an end-all-be-all indicator of performance. I mentioned it in my OP to illustrate a larger point. I know you watch the games, their PLAY isn't up to par either. So should I even ask "whats with the glib 'point'"?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Beyond the line itself is the play of the individuals.

The B's penalty kill is 8th in the league.  Campbell and Paille are key components to this.  You-Know-Who should be out at the Kowloon as a headliner for Dick Doherty instead of on the ice, but that's a story for 100 different threads.

It has felt, on a few occasions, that they've been hemmed in with no hope of recovery, but hey, it's the fourth line.  If they don't get scored upon, they did their job.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sportsnutty. Show Sportsnutty's posts

[QUOTE]Beyond the line itself is the play of the individuals. The B's penalty kill is 8th in the league.  Campbell and Paille are key components to this.  You-Know-Who should be out at the Kowloon as a headliner for Dick Doherty instead of on the ice, but that's a story for 100 different threads. It has felt, on a few occasions, that they've been hemmed in with no hope of recovery, but hey, it's the fourth line.  If they don't get scored upon, they did their job.

Ok then. I can agree with Campbell and Paille as being a part of a successful penalty kill unit. They are behind Bergeron, Kelly, Peverley in SHTOI for forwards by the way. Their units rank certainly warrants some credit. Here's to hoping one of the following occurs:

1) Their 5v5 line starts returning to form from last year. (I absolutely stand by the statement that the 4th line isnt playing well)
    2) Claude shakes the line up a bit with some fresh blood.
    3) The line gets reduced minutes even more with a nod to the aforementioned SH guys.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bandgbleeder. Show bandgbleeder's posts

It doesn't help that most of the defense has been pretty pathetic all year. Last time I checked the defense were the last line between opponents and the goaltender. You wanna see a bad fourth line, go look at Chicago's, they've got two of them.

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The "Energy" Line : Campbell and Paille are -1 and Thornton is a -2 on a team with as many losses as wins. Trade 'em all. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Klaas. Show Klaas's posts

I like the concept of this 4th line, two penalty killers and a tough guy. If they're too good, you just know CJ will use them more, which isn't good for the top 3 lines ice time.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The "Energy" Line : Ok then. I can agree with Campbell and Paille as being a part of a successful penalty kill unit. They are behind Bergeron, Kelly, Peverley in SHTOI for forwards by the way. Their units rank certainly warrants some credit. Here's to hoping one of the following occurs: 1) Their 5v5 line starts returning to form from last year. (I absolutely stand by the statement that the 4th line isnt playing well) 2) Claude shakes the line up a bit with some fresh blood. 3) The line gets reduced minutes even more with a nod to the aforementioned SH guys.
    Posted by Sportsnutty[/QUOTE]

Campbell is second for SHTOI in the forwards.

As for the fourth line not playing well, I wonder when You-Know-Who is going to break out his golden stick and get moving on his double digit goal scoring expectations.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from bandgbleeder. Show bandgbleeder's posts

Paille and Pouliot both have goals, can Sugar Shawn's hat trick be far behind?

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The "Energy" Line : Campbell is second for SHTOI in the forwards. As for the fourth line not playing well, I wonder when You-Know-Who is going to break out his golden stick and get moving on his double digit goal scoring expectations.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGuyWithDaThing. Show TheGuyWithDaThing's posts

Byron Bitz....get 'em back

Sections
Shortcuts