The "Energy" Line

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Re: The "Energy" Line

Boychuck's smarts and the 4th line are the primary weaknesses in this strong team. Perhaps Boychuck's gaffs can be overcome by his blocking shots; once in a while accurate shots;and his size/strength. However, as mentioned numerous times, it's now time to either eliminate or rotate Shawn the pugilist. My list is Campbell Caron,Hamill, Paille, then Pouliot and Thornton. The skills are there , no need for any trade, simply better management, as reluctant as it is.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sportsnutty. Show Sportsnutty's posts

In Response to Re: The "Energy" Line:
    In Response to Re: The "Energy" Line : Campbell is second for SHTOI in the forwards. As for the fourth line not playing well, I wonder when You-Know-Who is going to break out his golden stick and get moving on his double digit goal scoring expectations.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

Accoring to NHL.com stats, youre right. I missed Campbell but Paille is well down the list. But to quote Leslie Nielsen, "thats not important right now." The Bruins SH special teams are doing really well. Its the 4th line that I SEE as a struggling line. I wish I shared your personal loathe for "that other guy", but maybe he is the weak link. And line changes will be coming.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mohawkbruin. Show mohawkbruin's posts

In Response to The "Energy" Line:
    I don't think the Bruins are so far out of the woods to make a big stink about the play of their 4th line, but clearly I'm at the stage of sniffing around to see what stinks and looking at the dog. Last year, being last year, the 4th line of Campbell, Thornton, and Paille had a fairly significant role for the team. Bring "energy" and a tenacious hounding of the puck was their mandate and I loved it. It was a absolute bonus that these guys did some scoring as well. Collectively I think they did their job well and potted nearly 30 goals to boot. However this year, the same cant be said. All three are minus players and unlike last year when they came on the ice you see them almost playing defensively, rather than the aggressive checking/harassing play of last year. And they have combined for a whopping 3 goals so far. My question is, I suppose, what to do? Does Claude 2.0 make changes he seems more willing to make this year? I'll tell you this much, all three are getting roughly the same amount of TOI. Only Thorton is logging 2 minutes less TOI from this year to last.
    Posted by Sportsnutty

I guess winning 4 straight does please many people, first off Paille only played 43 games last year so it was a different looking line with Marchand in there for quite a bit to start the year, second we are 14 games in and as noted before they are a collected -4, and you claim they are not scoring goals, they are not here to score goals, Campbell's role is to be defensive, win draws, pk, play with an edge, he does it, Paille is strictly defensive and pk, throw in a few checks along the boards and use his speed, he does it, Thornton is to play physical, play the enforcer role, and be a team leader, he does it well, so before we throw them under the bus, take a deep breath and remember we are on a winning streak because the guys paid the big bucks are playing well now, and remember a 4th line is to be just that a 4th line, they are probly still the best at what they do

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to The "Energy" Line : I guess winning 4 straight does please many people, first off Paille only played 43 games last year so it was a different looking line with Marchand in there for quite a bit to start the year, second we are 14 games in and as noted before they are a collected -4, and you claim they are not scoring goals, they are not here to score goals, Campbell's role is to be defensive, win draws, pk, play with an edge, he does it, Paille is strictly defensive and pk, throw in a few checks along the boards and use his speed, he does it, Thornton is to play physical, play the enforcer role, and be a team leader, he does it well, so before we throw them under the bus, take a deep breath and remember we are on a winning streak because the guys paid the big bucks are playing well now, and remember a 4th line is to be just that a 4th line, they are probly still the best at what they do
    Posted by mohawkbruin

Why is suggesting Thornton doesn't need to dress for 82 games, "throwing them under the bus"?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

In Response to The "Energy" Line : I guess winning 4 straight does please many people, first off Paille only played 43 games last year so it was a different looking line with Marchand in there for quite a bit to start the year, second we are 14 games in and as noted before they are a collected -4, and you claim they are not scoring goals, they are not here to score goals, Campbell's role is to be defensive, win draws, pk, play with an edge, he does it, Paille is strictly defensive and pk, throw in a few checks along the boards and use his speed, he does it, Thornton is to play physical, play the enforcer role, and be a team leader, he does it well, so before we throw them under the bus, take a deep breath and remember we are on a winning streak because the guys paid the big bucks are playing well now, and remember a 4th line is to be just that a 4th line, they are probly still the best at what they do
    Posted by mohawkbruin

Despite this 4 game winning streak, the Bruins still have to climb over three teams to be in a playoff spot, and make up 7 points to have home ice in the first round.  Some offensive contribution from the fourth line would come in handy.  There will be nights when the spectacular six don't get it done.  Depth depth depth.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: The "Energy" Line : Despite this 4 game winning streak, the Bruins still have to climb over three teams to be in a playoff spot, and make up 7 points to have home ice in the first round.  Some offensive contribution from the fourth line would come in handy.  There will be nights when the spectacular six don't get it done.  Depth depth depth.
    Posted by scooter244

It's the second week of November.  They don't need to climb over anyone or make up any points.  It's too early for all of that.  Teams are still figuring out their identites at this point.  Playoff positioning will be a concern in February.

Unless you actually expect Kessel to win the Art Ross, far too many things are going to happen between now and then. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoveTheBruins. Show LoveTheBruins's posts

At the end of the day,  I'm glad we ended up with Sean Thornton instead of Joe Thornton.  His presence in the Cup finals changed the series.  No one can say Big Joe has ever changed a series around (for the better at least).

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

In Response to Re: The "Energy" Line : It's the second week of November.  They don't need to climb over anyone or make up any points.  It's too early for all of that.  Teams are still figuring out their identites at this point.  Playoff positioning will be a concern in February. Unless you actually expect Kessel to win the Art Ross, far too many things are going to happen between now and then. 
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

We're coming up on 20% of the season in the books.  Ask the Devils what happens if you wait too long.  To a certain extent the Hawks as well.  Never too early to dig themselves out, especially when the NHL gives out points like candy at Halloween. 
    Four good games preceded by a ten so-so to stinkers.  Can't afford another stretch like that. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: The "Energy" Line : We're coming up on 20% of the season in the books.  Ask the Devils what happens if you wait too long.  To a certain extent the Hawks as well.  Never too early to dig themselves out, especially when the NHL gives out points like candy at Halloween.  Four good games preceded by a ten so-so to stinkers.  Can't afford another stretch like that. 
    Posted by scooter244

Did the Devils miss the playoffs last season because they had a poor start, or was it because they weren't a very good team?  I would say it was the latter.  They were missing their #1 center for all but 13 games.  Fatso Brodeur was limited to 56 games so Johan "Expectations Too High" Hedberg had to fill in and did so...poorly.  After Kovalchuk and Elias, no one on that team had 15 goals.  The defense was a joke, lead by Andy Greene and Henrik Tallinder.

The Bruins are a good team.  There's a big difference.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In Response to Re: The "Energy" Line : Did the Devils miss the playoffs last season because they had a poor start, or was it because they weren't a very good team?  I would say it was the latter.  They were missing their #1 center for all but 13 games.  Fatso Brodeur was limited to 56 games so Johan "Expectations Too High" Hedberg had to fill in and did so...poorly.  After Kovalchuk and Elias, no one on that team had 15 goals.  The defense was a joke, lead by Andy Greene and Henrik Tallinder. The Bruins are a good team.  There's a big difference.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

29 regulation losses in their first 41 games . 10 regulation losses in their last 41 games. Could be a bit of both ( bad team and poor start ) but judging by the above ..........

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

In Response to Re: The "Energy" Line : 29 regulation losses in their first 41 games . 10 regulation losses in their last 41 games. Could be a bit of both ( bad team and poor start ) but judging by the above ..........
    Posted by Chowdahkid-

a 7-7 start doesn't really compare to this.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In Response to Re: The "Energy" Line : a 7-7 start doesn't really compare to this.
    Posted by goodnewsbears

No it doesn't and never thought of it that way at all. Just info about how NJ's season went last year. Bad first half followed up by a good second half.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

In Response to Re: The "Energy" Line : Did the Devils miss the playoffs last season because they had a poor start, or was it because they weren't a very good team?  I would say it was the latter.  They were missing their #1 center for all but 13 games.  Fatso Brodeur was limited to 56 games so Johan "Expectations Too High" Hedberg had to fill in and did so...poorly.  After Kovalchuk and Elias, no one on that team had 15 goals.  The defense was a joke, lead by Andy Greene and Henrik Tallinder. The Bruins are a good team.  There's a big difference.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

They looked like a pretty damn good team the last half of the year.  They just dug themselves too big a hole.  one game above 500 this year, not sure they are happy with that, but they are by no means out of it.  Time will tell which team they really are.  We'll dig up this discussion some time in the new year. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

In Response to Re: The "Energy" Line : No it doesn't and never thought of it that way at all. Just info about how NJ's season went last year. Bad first half followed up by a good second half.
    Posted by Chowdahkid-

yeah, i guess i was responding more to scooter saying "ask the devils what a bad start can do".  i just responded under your post because i was too lazy to look up the actual numbers from nj's start last season and waited for you to do the work for me.  thanks.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: The "Energy" Line : 29 regulation losses in their first 41 games . 10 regulation losses in their last 41 games. Could be a bit of both ( bad team and poor start ) but judging by the above ..........
    Posted by Chowdahkid-

In December, they won two and lost 11.

That's not a bad start.  That's a bad team.

Poor offense.  Poor defense.  Poor goaltending.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: The "Energy" Line : No it doesn't and never thought of it that way at all. Just info about how NJ's season went last year. Bad first half followed up by a good second half.
    Posted by Chowdahkid-

Because you have decided to jump into the conversation for the sole purpose of trying to dispute my statement, I'll keep this going and, one again, point out that you're a fool.

Good second half, starting at Game 42:

February:  9 wins, 2 losses
    Teams Beat:  Montreal, Carolina x 3, Toronto, San Jose, NYR, Dallas, Florida
    Average final standing position:  8.55

March:  14 games.  Regulation wins:  4  Regulation losses 5

8 wins, 6 losses

Team Beat:  TB, Pitt, NYI (shootout), ATL (OT), NYI (shootout), ATL, CLB, NYI
    Average final standing position:  9.5

April:  6 games

3 wins, 3 losses

Team Beat:  Philly, Toronto, Boston
    Average final standing position:  5

----

Looks to me like they had a good six game April, but that's just my point of view.  Chowda, to contradict my previous post, you have told us that New Jersey had "a good second half" last year.  Considering the above information, can you explain further how the second half of New Jersey's season was "good"?

Thanks.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In Response to Re: The "Energy" Line : Because you have decided to jump into the conversation for the sole purpose of trying to dispute my statement, I'll keep this going and, one again, point out that you're a fool. Good second half, starting at Game 42: February:  9 wins, 2 losses Teams Beat:  Montreal, Carolina x 3, Toronto, San Jose, NYR, Dallas, Florida Average final standing position:  8.55 March:  14 games.  Regulation wins:  4  Regulation losses 5 8 wins, 6 losses Team Beat:  TB, Pitt, NYI (shootout), ATL (OT), NYI (shootout), ATL, CLB, NYI Average final standing position:  9.5 April:  6 games 3 wins, 3 losses Team Beat:  Philly, Toronto, Boston Average final standing position:  5 ---- Looks to me like they had a good six game April, but that's just my point of view.  Chowda, to contradict my previous post, you have told us that New Jersey had "a good second half" last year.  Considering the above information, can you explain further how the second half of New Jersey's season was "good"? Thanks.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

Looks to me like all they had was a good february. LOL, I could read you two going at it all day. Very entertaining.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: The "Energy" Line : Looks to me like all they had was a good february. LOL, I could read you two going at it all day. Very entertaining.
    Posted by kelvana33

...and informative.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: The "Energy" Line : Looks to me like all they had was a good february. LOL, I could read you two going at it all day. Very entertaining.
    Posted by kelvana33

No.  It's a good second half.

Just ask Chowda.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In Response to Re: The "Energy" Line : Because you have decided to jump into the conversation for the sole purpose of trying to dispute my statement, I'll keep this going and, one again, point out that you're a fool. Good second half, starting at Game 42: February:  9 wins, 2 losses Teams Beat:  Montreal, Carolina x 3, Toronto, San Jose, NYR, Dallas, Florida Average final standing position:  8.55 March:  14 games.  Regulation wins:  4  Regulation losses 5 8 wins, 6 losses Team Beat:  TB, Pitt, NYI (shootout), ATL (OT), NYI (shootout), ATL, CLB, NYI Average final standing position:  9.5 April:  6 games 3 wins, 3 losses Team Beat:  Philly, Toronto, Boston Average final standing position:  5 ---- Looks to me like they had a good six game April, but that's just my point of view.  Chowda, to contradict my previous post, you have told us that New Jersey had "a good second half" last year.  Considering the above information, can you explain further how the second half of New Jersey's season was "good"? Thanks.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

28-10-3 in the last 42 games is not good ? That's over .700 isn't it ? Also , last I looked every team has to play who's on their schedule . Do teams get extra points for beating better teams ?

Your welcome.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: The "Energy" Line :  Do you think Thornton should dress for 82 games? I wouldn't mind seeing a 4 man rotation on line 4. Posted by dezaruchi

No he shouldn't but he will dress for every game and it won't change no matter what it could mean.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Posted by Not-A-Shot

BTW next time you might want to post the right info Game 42 started Jan. 9. You missed a month in which they lost only once.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: The "Energy" Line :  28-10-3 in the last 42 games is not good ? That's over .700 isn't it ? Also , last I looked every team has to play who's on their schedule . Do teams get extra points for beating better teams ?  Your welcome.
    Posted by Chowdahkid-

Oh, I'll absolutely agree with you that 28-10-3 is good!  On the surface, that looks like a serious business team.  However, when you take a closer look, you can see that most of their wins were against non-playoff teams.  Having to go to the extra frames to beat teams like NYI, Atlanta and Florida is pretty poor.

Nice stats.  Bad team.

Example:  If the #14 team plays five games against the #15 and #16 teams and wins them all, I wouldn't really call that "good".  Sometimes in discussing sports, you have to look a bit deeper.  I guess it just takes a little more knowledge than you might possess to understand that.  I'm sorry.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: The "Energy" Line :  28-10-3 in the last 42 games is not good ? That's over .700 isn't it ?Do teams get extra points for beating better teams ?  Posted by Chowdahkid-

No that's Damn Good, Yes and No you don't.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Posted by kelvana33

Actually January was better .

Sections
Shortcuts