The annual BadHab Development camp report

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

The annual BadHab Development camp report

Overheard comment from people sitting nearby, "worst development camp I've ever been to."  I agree.

My usual disclaimer; it's just one day.  And this one day won't effect what happens tomorrow or the next day or the next year.

They were supposed to be on the ice at 10:30.

They didn't go on the ice until 11:20.

Malcom Subban didn't show up until about noon time.

For about the first 40 minutes drills were run and executed poorly.

Pastrnak - he sure has some moves, good hands,

Donato - also has really good hands, second only to Pastrnak out of this bunch.  It would be a huge mistake for this kid to play prep school hockey this coming season.  One thing weird, and maybe this is one of those things he did today and doesn't usually do - very odd skating style.  When he crossed over it was only in "half steps" and his stride seems odd.

Invites Bardeau, Norberg and Yevenko looked decent.  Yevenko is a big body.

Bjork - kid looked decent, pleasant surprise.

Wiley Sherman - overheard comment from someone sitting nearby "he looks out of place."  I noticed that his shot is absolutely lame, surprising to me for a big kid.  There's an issue with skills, didn't notice much speed.

Mitchell Dempsey - his conditioning looked much better than last camp.

Blidh, Cerlarhik, Arnesson - looked the same as last year or possibly digressed.  I was disappointed.

Baun, Doherty, Fitzgerald, Hargrove, Benning, Johansson, Sweezey and O'Grara made no impression one way or the other

Grzelcyk was red shirted, he's got good hands, but as you all know - not very big.

Globke - I am thankful he was an invite.

Subban and Gothberg - I didn't focus on them very much, but both seemed OK.  

Why was Subban 1.5 hours late?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaveyN. Show DaveyN's posts

Re: The annual BadHab Development camp report

In response to BadHabitude's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Overheard comment from people sitting nearby, "worst development camp I've ever been to."  I agree.

My usual disclaimer; it's just one day.  And this one day won't effect what happens tomorrow or the next day or the next year.

They were supposed to be on the ice at 10:30.

They didn't go on the ice until 11:20.

Malcom Subban didn't show up until about noon time.

For about the first 40 minutes drills were run and executed poorly.

Pastrnak - he sure has some moves, good hands,

Donato - also has really good hands, second only to Pastrnak out of this bunch.  It would be a huge mistake for this kid to play prep school hockey this coming season.  One thing weird, and maybe this is one of those things he did today and doesn't usually do - very odd skating style.  When he crossed over it was only in "half steps" and his stride seems odd.

Invites Bardeau, Norberg and Yevenko looked decent.  Yevenko is a big body.

Bjork - kid looked decent, pleasant surprise.

Wiley Sherman - overheard comment from someone sitting nearby "he looks out of place."  I noticed that his shot is absolutely lame, surprising to me for a big kid.  There's an issue with skills, didn't notice much speed.

Mitchell Dempsey - his conditioning looked much better than last camp.

Blidh, Cerlarhik, Arnesson - looked the same as last year or possibly digressed.  I was disappointed.

Baun, Doherty, Fitzgerald, Hargrove, Benning, Johansson, Sweezey and O'Grara made no impression one way or the other

Grzelcyk was red shirted, he's got good hands, but as you all know - not very big.

Globke - I am thankful he was an invite.

Subban and Gothberg - I didn't focus on them very much, but both seemed OK.  

Why was Subban 1.5 hours late?

[/QUOTE]

I read he had leg cramps before camp started or something.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Thanks for the update, Bhab.  This annual rite of summer keeps us going.

I'm happy that Dempsey, the #1,204th pick overall, lost some weight.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You should be happy.  How would you like sitting around for about an hour waiting for them to get on the ice?  And of course the crowd gets antsy and the guy next time starts up a conversation and tells me about how he runs his squirts practice, no wait - and he wanted to make this clear - how he HELPS run the squirts practice, he's the assistant coach not head coach.  Made me think what the hell am I doing here.  I have about 10 million better things to be doing with my time.

I hope someone else goes and is as miserable as I was.  Or maybe all the kids were jet lagged and someone can have a much more optimistic post.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Don't screw around with me anymore at least for today or I swear I'll take Stanley off ignore.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"For about the first 40 minutes drills were run and executed poorly."

If it were the 2nd or 3rd day of pre-season camp I probably would have a problem with that. It is summer so I do not. The ice at that cr @ p arena is just that...cr @ p!

Grzelcyk is probably wearing the red shirt because of the broken arm he suffered during the past season. Matt is going to have Jack Eichel to work with this winter at BU. Going to be fun to watch.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

"For about the first 40 minutes drills were run and executed poorly."

If it were the 2nd or 3rd day of pre-season camp I probably would have a problem with that. It is summer so I do not. The ice at that cr @ p arena is just that...cr @ p!

Grzelcyk is probably wearing the red shirt because of the broken arm he suffered during the past season. Matt is going to have Jack Eichel to work with this winter at BU. Going to be fun to watch.

[/QUOTE]

re: the first 40 minutes.

I have no idea about what was going on, but a clean completed pass was a rarity.

The ice was excellent.  I didn't have much to do for that hour so I got a really good look at various angles and I didn't see a single rut or divot anywhere, unlike the garden ice where you see ruts and divots all over the place.  There were no fluttering or bouncing pucks, they stayed flat.  The rink was very cool, but not the typical ice box it usually is.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Oh yah, foot notes;

I think Jamie Erdahl was there, I only noticed her when she was already by me. And there was another woman there dressed identically with a pink shirt and black pants, but had longer blonde hair. Both looked fine. Both were in the press area

Haggs was there not looking fine. I don't remember him being all that fat, but he seems like he wants to perfect the fat slob look.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

I've skated at Ristuccia during the winter and it was terrible.

Better sheets of ice in San Diego and it is usually terrible here.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I've skated at Ristuccia during the winter and it was terrible.

Better sheets of ice in San Diego and it is usually terrible here.

[/QUOTE]

It might get hacked up more in winter than summer.  There was no one on for hours before and it sat for at least 1 hour before anyone got on it - no wet spots.

Otherwise, the place is your very basic and typical rink.  A little dark and feels dirty no matter how clean it is.  Can't help but notice they use standard florescent lights in the ceiling, that's a bit on the cheesey side.  And I can't help but wonder how the place will go now that the letter of intent has been signed for the new practice rink.

I imagine its going to be a lot better for the players not to have to make that drive up from Boston every day.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

http://nesn.com/2014/07/bruins-prospect-zane-gothberg-eyes-ncaa-title-other-notes-from-development-camp/

WILMINGTON, Mass. —

North Dakota’s Zane Gothberg is one of the top goaltenders in college hockey, and after a disappointing end to the 2013-14 season, he’s highly motivated to claim the national title that has eluded him so far. “The biggest thing is going back to school and getting the national championship,” Gothberg said Wednesday at the Boston Bruins development camp. “That’s what I’ve dreamed of as a kid, playing for the Sioux first off, and then winning a national championship for them.” Gothberg led his team to the 2014 Frozen Four, where it lost to 2-1 to Minnesota.

Overall, he enjoyed a tremendous season. Gothberg finished with a 20-10-3 record, a .920 save percentage and a 1.99 goals against average. The 21-year-old netminder was selected by the Bruins with the 165th overall pick (sixth round) in the 2010 NHL draft. He’s an athletic goaltender with good poise under pressure and great puck-handling skills.

His rebound control must improve, but he has all the physical tools needed to be a quality netminder at the NHL level. “He spent a couple years extra in the USHL (United States Hockey League) and played a lot of games, grew up on and off the ice,” Bruins assistant general manager Don Sweeney said after Wednesday’s session. “I think he was much more prepared when he ended up going to UND (University of North Dakota) and I think you’re seeing that. He was a sophomore last year but he was able to take the pressure in situations and did a nice job with it.

Now he is really, really – you watch the progression on and off the ice, the maturity of Zane, he’s far different than he was a number of years ago and I think that’s healthy.”

Here are some other notes from Wednesday’s skate:

–Gothberg and 2012 first-round Malcolm Subban were the two goalies present at camp on Wednesday, and Bruins assistant manager Don Sweeney is pleased with the depth that the organization has at the most important position. “Well that’s a good thing from an organizational standpoint,” Sweeney said. “I think it’s healthy for the competition, I think you saw goaltenders in the last couple of years that have gone on to other organizations that have come in and played well for us. So I think it’s a necessary thing to have.”

–David Pastrnak displayed his excellent skating ability during Wednesday’s skate. He started the team drills a little passive by looking to pass more often than normal, but the 2014 first-round pick quickly became more aggressive and started beating goalies high glove side. “I think he has a bit of a flare on and off the ice and I like the excitement, I think it’s infectious for everybody and we’re excited to have him as part of the organization,” Sweeney said.

–Malcolm Subban likely will be the starting goalie for the Providence Bruins this season. After Day 1 of camp, he talked about his debut season in the AHL. “I thought last year was huge for my development, just adjusting to the game and seeing where you belong and what kind of style you need to play,” Subban said. “Obviously you don’t want to change too much, I thought I made a couple of adjustments going into the AHL, but I fit in really well.”

–Ryan Donato, who the Bruins selected 56th overall in Round 2 of the 2014 draft, doesn’t know where he will play next season. The two likely choices are returning to the Dexter School in Brookline, Mass., or going to the USHL. “We’ll actually talk to Ryan and his family and his advisor,” Sweeney said. “The player obviously controls that. Does the organization obviously have an opinion? Yeah and we are going to share that with him as to what we think is best for his overall development both as a hockey player and personally and make a, hopefully, what we think is a collective decision.”

More for your reading pleasure!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Was that his draft position or weight class?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Thanks Badhab.  Was thinking about trying to go on Friday, but I only have about an hour to spend there.  If they're hitting the ice an hour late, or late at all, I won't bother.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

Yevenko is the worst hockey player ever. It sickens me knowing he was invited to camp. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Joe Haggerty ‏@HackswithHaggs 7hIt's pretty amazing that only 4 of the 23 players invited to B's development camp are Canadian. Outnumbered by the Mass kids by a 5-4 margin

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to bostonfan191646's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Yevenko is the worst hockey player ever. It sickens me knowing he was invited to camp. 

[/QUOTE]

Worse than Reul?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Thanks Badhab.  Was thinking about trying to go on Friday, but I only have about an hour to spend there.  If they're hitting the ice an hour late, or late at all, I won't bother.

[/QUOTE]

Please go - but maybe go an hour late just in case. I hope you can spot something better than I did. IMO there were maybe 4-5 guys who could be AHL ready in 2-4 years. Maybe.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Worse than Reul?

[/QUOTE]

Literally the worst hockey player of all time

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Ha! That is indeed a bold claim. I almost want to watch him for the pure comedy gold......almost.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Ha! That is indeed a bold claim. I almost want to watch him for the pure comedy gold......almost.

[/QUOTE]

He might look fine in a practice situation, but the only thing worse than his skating is his hockey sense. It's like he's never played before  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

History of concussions? Dropped on his head at birth maybe?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]

Worse than Reul?

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Disagree, you must not have seen Reul.  He wasn't even the worst player at camp.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Yeah but that workout video made up for it!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

In response to BadHabitude's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Worse than Reul?

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Disagree, you must not have seen Reul.  He wasn't even the worst player at camp.

[/QUOTE]

Have you seen him play in a game?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yevenko isn't THAT bad. I didn't attend dev camp but saw him play at UMass a bunch. First think you notice is he's tall. Second thing you notice is he skates a bit like he picked the game up in high school after basketball didn't pan out. Third thing I noticed is even though he's not very impressive he does seem to get in front of a lot of shots and can be a bit disruptive in his own end. Fourth thing you notice is he has absolutely no offensive skill or instincts. Zip. Nada.

Not sure why he was invited to camp. Maybe a favor to the UMass coach or maybe they figured he's a project like Chara lite or something. Untapped potential, lightning in a bottle, lots of upside, no cost gamble, etc.
    [object HTMLDivElement]