The Birth of the Cool, Cap Management Edition

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

Re: The Birth of the Cool, Cap Management Edition

I'm not nearly as concerned w/PC's cap mgt. (which, as BB points out, has been pretty savvy--pun intended), as with the overall make-up of the team.

Is it better than when he came on board? No question, but then again, most of the pee wee squads that are featured on mini-one on one in between periods are better than the Bruins team he inherited.

The question for all Bruins fans should be is he building a team capable of winning it all? My best assesment of that is--maybe, but not at least for another couple of years.

I think Seguin needs time to mature into a Stamkos-like talent (I think he can do this), and the defensive corps especially needs to move from a box-type, stay-at-home collective to include some goal-scoring threats. Plus more natural scorers up front. Last year's leading goal scorer on the B's (Sturm) barely cracked the 20-goal mark. The Bruins need more goal-scoring up front and from the back end to really be considered legit Cup contenders...can he do this b4 the trade deadline this year? If he can, he's a magician. My guess tho', is that the team is still a couple of years away.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In Response to Re: The Birth of the Cool, Cap Management Edition:
    [QUOTE]I'm not nearly as concerned w/PC's cap mgt. (which, as BB points out, has been pretty savvy--pun intended), as with the overall make-up of the team. Is it better than when he came on board? No question, but then again, most of the pee wee squads that are featured on mini-one on one in between periods are better than the Bruins team he inherited. The question for all Bruins fans should be is he building a team capable of winning it all? My best assesment of that is--maybe, but not at least for another couple of years. I think Seguin needs time to mature into a Stamkos-like talent (I think he can do this), and the defensive corps especially needs to move from a box-type, stay-at-home collective to include some goal-scoring threats. Plus more natural scorers up front. Last year's leading goal scorer on the B's (Sturm) barely cracked the 20-goal mark. The Bruins need more goal-scoring up front and from the back end to really be considered legit Cup contenders...can he do this b4 the trade deadline this year? If he can, he's a magician. My guess tho', is that the team is still a couple of years away.
    Posted by TryToBearIt[/QUOTE]

I do too, but the combination of locking up key veterans, securing top-flight goaltending, and bringing in true blue-chip prospects should give the Bruins as good a shot as any team for assembling a Stanley Cup winner.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]I'm not nearly as concerned w/PC's cap mgt. (which, as BB points out, has been pretty savvy--pun intended), as with the overall make-up of the team. Is it better than when he came on board? No question, but then again, most of the pee wee squads that are featured on mini-one on one in between periods are better than the Bruins team he inherited. The question for all Bruins fans should be is he building a team capable of winning it all? My best assesment of that is--maybe, but not at least for another couple of years. I think Seguin needs time to mature into a Stamkos-like talent (I think he can do this), and the defensive corps especially needs to move from a box-type, stay-at-home collective to include some goal-scoring threats. Plus more natural scorers up front. Last year's leading goal scorer on the B's (Sturm) barely cracked the 20-goal mark. The Bruins need more goal-scoring up front and from the back end to really be considered legit Cup contenders...can he do this b4 the trade deadline this year? If he can, he's a magician. My guess tho', is that the team is still a couple of years away.
    Posted by TryToBearIt[/QUOTE]
    Your opinion yesterday was that they wouldn't make the playoffs so forgive  me for not putting too much stock in what you spew from one minute to the next.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]'bookboy' Half the guys on your list are still Bruins because - and thankfully - Chiarelli is such an inept horse-trader. Though he does try. Oh Pete is 'panicky' alright, he's just not very good at it. At last count, Savard, Thomas, Wheeler, Ryder and Sturm have all been shopped. I'm going to wait and see just how much of Chiarelli's flailing can actually be called flying Oh and 'SanDogBrewin', though I realize you're just trying to score some points with the boys, I don't deserve that. You are showing no respect. I don't hate anything or anyone. This is called a 'forum', that means something like a balance can be achieved between divergent opinions. I'm not talking about freedom of speech, just providing a black to a white, a yin for a yang, a nay for a yea and not for its own sake - that would be lame - because i happen to believe it. In this particular case, my opinion of the success of Chiarelli's performance, diverge from 'bookboy's'. I think 'bookboy' makes a very cogent, eloquent statement about how Chiarelli has managed the last two months. I was merely saying, it think its due more to neglect than design. Personally, I don't think I made as good a case for neglect as 'bookboy' did for design, I don't think 'bookboy' took it personally. The Joe Thornton piece was written by Lyle Richardson on the 5 year Anniversary of the trade. He runs a rumour/blog site called Spector's Hockey. I thought, given the weird coincidence that Sturm was almost traded 5 years to the day, that that would be timely, funny even. Guilty: As a Bruins fan I found the Thornton trade embarrassing. Guilty: I still find Dupont's weekly bon-mots indictments of Joe Thornton's abilities,...yea, embarrassing,like sour grapes in reverse. Guilty: I wonder what the Bruins could really do with a different GM. I think he's overpaid a buncha guys. I'm not convinced of his 'horse-sense'. I keep waiting for his 'legacy' deal. Kessel to the leafs might be it. Guilty: I really wonder what this team could do with a different coach, one with more imagination Guilty: I think the Bruins Defence, as presently constituted, will not hold water come Playoff time I'm sure there's more, but now I'm doing your job, 'SanDog'... But, 'SanDogBrewin' - though you didn't ask and don't deserve, as you chose to ignore it  - I posted yestreday that I was as happy as anyone, with Chiarelli's 'intent to trade' of Marco Sturm, to finally be able to put the Joe Thornton trade behind us. 'Onwards and upwards', I think I said, with not a hint of hate nor malice
    Posted by Awry[/QUOTE]
    I suggest you stop concerning yourself with what-ifs and should'ves.Concentrate on the actual deals PC has made rather than the ones you think he tried to make.What if they had a different coach?What if they kept Kessel and raycroft?What if Neely didn't get hurt?I prefer to judge on absolutes rather than wild speculation and what-ifs but you have at it.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Awry. Show Awry's posts

'Fletcher1' with regard to Thomas this summer, more than just 'listening to offers', Chiarelli actually went as far as to ask Thomas's agent Bill Zito (i think is his name?) to look for/broker a deal. I didn't make this up.  I remember Zito when asked by the Press, saying something to effect of: "Huh? My client wants to stay in Boston!"  He's an agent. What else could/would he say?  I'm sorry, but to me, that's just dumb of Chiarelli...and too-publicly so.

Unless..it was all some elaborate plan by Chiarelli to play on Thomas' legendary sense of pride (he lives to prove the doubters wrong) to light yet another flame of incentive under Thomas knowing it would spread into the Vezina-worthy performances we're now seeing nightly.

'Fletcher1 says;
    "Because he was patient and did not panic, he did not accept the offers or make a move.  He waited."

No Thomas wasn't traded because Chiarelli failed to trade him.

And i would hazard a guess that a small part of Tim Thomas is playing like a guy who wants to prove his employer and everyone else wrong. We're all  better for it and none more so than Peter Chiarelli who must shudder at the prospect of what he came so close to doing.

Thomas is saving EVERYONE's bacon right now

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

C'mon Awry -- that makes no sense.  Chiarelli kept Thomas and it has worked out very well, and you want to blame him still because he might have/almost traded the guy??

You're judging him for what he might have/could have done, instead of reality.

dezaruchi is right -- you are concerning yourself only with what ifs.  Chiarelli was right to explore every option this summer, including the possibility of trading Thomas.  But at the end of the day, he made the right decision and kept him.

That's what you get judged on -- what you actually do.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

http://www.necn.com/06/25/10/Chiarelli-Tim-Thomas-wants-to-be-a-Bruin/landing_sports.html?blockID=260841&feedID=3352
    It wasn't even that hard to find.

Sounds like much-ado about little.  Chiarelli know other teams would be asking about Thomas, and he didn't want Zito to be caught by surprise if another GM called him to talk about Thomas, without first hearing from Chiarelli that something might be on the table.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]'Fletcher1' with regard to Thomas this summer, more than just 'listening to offers', Chiarelli actually went as far as to ask Thomas's agent Bill Zito (i think is his name?) to look for/broker a deal. I didn't make this up.  I remember Zito when asked by the Press, saying something to effect of: "Huh? My client wants to stay in Boston!"  He's an agent. What else could/would he say?  I'm sorry, but to me, that's just dumb of Chiarelli...and too-publicly so. Unless..it was all some elaborate plan by Chiarelli to play on Thomas' legendary sense of pride (he lives to prove the doubters wrong) to light yet another flame of incentive under Thomas knowing it would spread into the Vezina-worthy performances we're now seeing nightly. 'Fletcher1 says; "Because he was patient and did not panic, he did not accept the offers or make a move.  He waited." No Thomas wasn't traded because Chiarelli failed to trade him. And i would hazard a guess that a small part of Tim Thomas is playing like a guy who wants to prove his employer and everyone else wrong. We're all  better for it and none more so than Peter Chiarelli who must shudder at the prospect of what he came so close to doing. Thomas is saving EVERYONE's bacon right now
    Posted by Awry[/QUOTE]
    I guess Zito must've dropped by your house to let you know he was told to "broker a deal" because no one else got this as concrete fact.In your next sentence you say that when asked about it by the media Zito replied"huh my client wants to stay.......".Hardly sounds like a guy that knew he was supposed to broker a deal.You thinking you've got this inside knowledge about how PC's mind works dosen't make it fact.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tom857. Show Tom857's posts

GM's discuss trades all the time. And when salary is the issue, mulitple ways/players are considered, tires are kicked, and sometimes you talk about a trade and then decide after mulling it over "I don't want to do that." The assertion that Thomas, Savard, Ryder, etc. were all shopped makes me say "... well, DUH... they're all viable solutions to salary cap paring," but just because they're options and were discussed, and then weren't acted on, doesn't make him a poor negotiator or bad at trading... just he opted for a different route. And it's worked out well. It's not like PC was trying to DRIVE Savard or Thomas out of town... he just looked at them because of the situation. And he found an even better solution. So well done.
    I mean, I was-- up until a few weeks ago-- really sore about the Ference signing. Then when Boychuk went down, Ference stepped in and was steady and a physical presence. I like Thomas and always have, but even I thought they gave him too much money when they signed him. Looking like good value right now, which speaks nothing to how it will look in a few years, but my point is this: Chiarelli has made a number of great moves, and even most of his bad moves are at least UNDERSTANDABLE.
    Boyes trade? Boyes was having a TERRIBLE year after one good HALF of a season on a line with Sturm and Bergeron, and hadn't really displayed anything that would give you confidence that he would turn into a 40 goal man. It happened. In the mean time, the Bruins acquired Wideman, who was a servicable puck-mover for a few years before having a dreadful season last year. Then he turned him into Nathan Horton. All in all, not TOO bad, given what Chiarelli had to go off of at the time of the Boyes deal.
    Versteeg trade? Sure, he lost that one. But remember the place the B's were at when he made that trade? We needed scoring, he got immediate help... still, he missed on his evaluation because Versteeg went on to be really solid, and Bochenski did not. That's what impatience gets you in some instances, and I feel Chiarelli really learned from that deal.
    He took us out of the age of Tenkrat, Chistov, Stastny, Alberts, etc. and brought this team legitimacy. Get off his back.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

In line with Tommy617 said above and what NAS has repeatedly stated, hockey is an entertainment business.  If PC did not entertain offers then he is not doing his job. As for the players feeling out of sorts for their names being marketed especially during the summer, all I can say is use it as motivation.  Thomas has, kudos to him! Otherwise I for one do not care how they feel on their names being used as trade fodder, it is capitalism! Players make the team not the fans, sorry.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Awry. Show Awry's posts

"What I did was talk to [Bill Zito] at some point after the season and said 'Bill . . . look. We're in a position where there will be some teams to come forward and ask about Tim. At some point if deals become realistic, you and I have to work together with Tim and his family. We need complete transparency. I'm going to send an e-mail allowing you to talk to some other teams if they call you.’ That’s all it was. There’s no overt effort to trade Tim and there’s been no request by Tim. Tim wants to be a Boston Bruin, so I just wanted to set the record straight on that."

Yup, this is definitely Chiarelli addressing the question of how and why he hung out his 'Goalie For Sale' sign, this summer. it's the ol Chiarelli backwards softshoe away from the wreckage of another, fumbled, bumbled attempt at a deal. He said the same basic thing at the end of the 'done deal' that was Kessel for Kaberle, the same thing after dangling Savard this summer and he's saying it again now after whatever it is you'd call what he's doing with Sturm.

C'mon guys! I'm obviously talking about the WAY Chiarelli does or doesn't do it, the way he does or doesn't get a deal done. He's messy about it, the deals fall through, everyone knows when he's shopping a guy, everyone including, most notably and disconcertedly, the GUY who's he's being shopped. And then, Chiarelli has to pull out his becoming-all-too familiar placation dance. And THEN, when the guy he didn't succeed in dealing becomes a revelation, a sensation even, Chiarelli's all of a sudden some kinda genius!? That's rich.

At least when OC traded Thornton, he was merciful and quick about it, surgical even.

Listen to offers, sure, 'kick tires' ok, mull and mingle but, geez Chiarelli, do it in private. Trade a guy or don't. There is no try.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

The problem I think most people have with your stance, Awry, is this:
    • Chiarelli wants to trade Thomas, but can't convince anyone to take him, to the team's benefit
    • Chiarelli considers trading Thomas, but no teams make an adequate offer so he doesn't pull the trigger, to the team's benefit.
    Both of these scenarios present the same observables - rumblings about Thomas being 'shopped' and no trade.  Why should we assume the problem was that Chiarelli bungled it, rather than he looked at his options and decided to keep Thomas?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

If you don't know that Bill Zito asked for permission to shop Thomas in which PC had to give permission via email answer then you're refusing to acknowledge it. Zito was doing his job which is to get max dollars and keep his client happy.

Murphy/Haggs/Mcdonald mused that Chiarelli shopped Savard all summer which is perposterious because like today's "Lombardi's medical records" Marc would not have passed any physical's last summer ZERO PC listed but didn't shop

Awry, How many under 26 core players does Chiarelli have locked up ? When and where did MOC and Sinden do this ? Don't answer I already know.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]"What I did was talk to [Bill Zito] at some point after the season and said 'Bill . . . look. We're in a position where there will be some teams to come forward and ask about Tim. At some point if deals become realistic, you and I have to work together with Tim and his family. We need complete transparency. I'm going to send an e-mail allowing you to talk to some other teams if they call you.’ That’s all it was. There’s no overt effort to trade Tim and there’s been no request by Tim. Tim wants to be a Boston Bruin, so I just wanted to set the record straight on that." Yup, this is definitely Chiarelli addressing the question of how and why he hung out his 'Goalie For Sale' sign, this summer. it's the ol Chiarelli backwards softshoe away from the wreckage of another, fumbled, bumbled attempt at a deal. He said the same basic thing at the end of the 'done deal' that was Kessel for Kaberle, the same thing after dangling Savard this summer and he's saying it again now after whatever it is you'd call what he's doing with Sturm. C'mon guys! I'm obviously talking about the WAY Chiarelli does or doesn't do it, the way he does or doesn't get a deal done. He's messy about it, the deals fall through, everyone knows when he's shopping a guy, everyone including, most notably and disconcertedly, the GUY who's he's being shopped. And then, Chiarelli has to pull out his becoming-all-too familiar placation dance. And THEN, when the guy he didn't succeed in dealing becomes a revelation, a sensation even, Chiarelli's all of a sudden some kinda genius!? That's rich. At least when OC traded Thornton, he was merciful and quick about it, surgical even. Listen to offers, sure, 'kick tires' ok, mull and mingle but, geez Chiarelli, do it in private. Trade a guy or don't. There is no try.
    Posted by Awry[/QUOTE]

We're going round and round, so I won't bother restating everything.

Is it not true that the fairest way to judge him, is based on what has acually happened??

If you don't like the deals, fine.  But don't knock him for things he didn't actually do because you think he may have been considering bad ideas.  I've considered doing some really stupid things too, but would prefer to be judged on what path I ended up taking.

Never heard the Thornton trade referred to as "surgical" -- what on earth does that mean?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Awry. Show Awry's posts

Well out, 'Dr CC'. I suppose i have more trouble witht he bungler side of Pete Chiarelli Bungler-Genius.

"If you don't know that Bill Zito asked for permission to shop Thomas in which PC had to give permission via email answer then you're refusing to acknowledge it. Zito was doing his job which is to get max dollars and keep his client happy."

SanDog...I don't know that Zito didn't ask for permission from Chiarelli to shop Thomas, I do know that listening in my car to the Fan590 in Toronto, this summer, when contacted on the phone and speaking over the airwaves, Zito sounded very much like the agent who was contacted by a GM offering permission to field offers and look around for opportunities for his client.I must add that Zito's countenance belied a certain, palpable...surprise.
    His client was already happy he expressed, playing where he wanted to play and getting max dollars.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Awry. Show Awry's posts

sorry 'DrCC' I meant, 'well put'

'Fletcher1'....'surgical', ya know...quick, clean, precise, not messy....
    dumb, of course
    but surgical

and good point. better to be judged on what you do and not the stupid things you were considering...or, i might add, the stupid way you were considering doing the stupid thing

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

Well, at least we can agree that claiming it was all an attempt by Chiarelli to get Thomas motivated is silly.  And that's being nice.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]sorry 'DrCC' I meant, 'well put' 'Fletcher1'....'surgical', ya know...quick, clean, precise, not messy.... dumb, of course but surgical and good point. better to be judged on what you do and not the stupid things you were considering...or, i might add, the stupid way you were considering doing the stupid thing
    Posted by Awry[/QUOTE]

I got ya.  I might have prefered a slower, sloppier process if it involved getting more talent and less...uh...Wayne Primeau, but that's another discussion entirely.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mutant211. Show Mutant211's posts

The Thornton trade was "quick, clean, precise, not messy..." because he as only dealing with one other GM.  MOC surprised the hockey world with the trade because most other GMs did not know that Thornton was available.  After the trade, other GMs said that they would have given up much more for Joe Thornton.

In the case of Savard and Thomas, other GMs were informed that Chiarelli was accepting offers.  Some other GM (I suspect one in Toronto who PC made look bad) informed the media that Savard and Thomas "were being shopped" by PC.  It almost certainly was not Chiarelli leaking out his intentions to the media.  What possible benefit is there in doing that?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]The Thornton trade was "quick, clean, precise, not messy..." because he as only dealing with one other GM.  MOC surprised the hockey world with the trade because most other GMs did not know that Thornton was available.  After the trade, other GMs said that they would have given up much more for Joe Thornton. In the case of Savard and Thomas, other GMs were informed that Chiarelli was accepting offers.  Some other GM (I suspect one in Toronto who PC made look bad) informed the media that Savard and Thomas "were being shopped" by PC.  It almost certainly was not Chiarelli leaking out his intentions to the media.  What possible benefit is there in doing that?
    Posted by Mutant211[/QUOTE]

Those are my thoughts exactly.  A GM has to balance getting the word out to as many GM's as possible with trying to avoid the media getting the story out and embarassing the player.  Chiarelli and MOC may have both erred one way or the other, but I am more concerned with the final result being a good one for the team.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]Well out, 'Dr CC'. I suppose i have more trouble witht he bungler side of Pete Chiarelli Bungler-Genius.     "If you don't know that Bill Zito asked for permission to shop Thomas in which PC had to give permission via email answer then you're refusing to acknowledge it. Zito was doing his job which is to get max dollars and keep his client happy." SanDog...I don't know that Zito didn't ask for permission from Chiarelli to shop Thomas, I do know that listening in my car to the Fan590 in Toronto, this summer, when contacted on the phone and speaking over the airwaves, Zito sounded very much like the agent who was contacted by a GM offering permission to field offers and look around for opportunities for his client.I must add that Zito's countenance belied a certain, palpable...surprise. His client was already happy he expressed, playing where he wanted to play and getting max dollars.
    Posted by Awry[/QUOTE]
    You're about as open-minded as the Kessel lovers(but less entertaining).Arguing for the sake of arguing isn't intelligent debate.Enough arguing about what-ifs( you don't want to acknowledge the actual deals that took place other than to call them lucky).time to ignore.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]The Thornton trade was "quick, clean, precise, not messy..." because he as only dealing with one other GM.  MOC surprised the hockey world with the trade because most other GMs did not know that Thornton was available.  After the trade, other GMs said that they would have given up much more for Joe Thornton. In the case of Savard and Thomas, other GMs were informed that Chiarelli was accepting offers.  Some other GM (I suspect one in Toronto who PC made look bad) informed the media that Savard and Thomas "were being shopped" by PC.  It almost certainly was not Chiarelli leaking out his intentions to the media.  What possible benefit is there in doing that?
    Posted by Mutant211[/QUOTE]
    About the same benefit we're receiving from trying to debate a troll.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Too many bars on the what if spectrum when it comes to what did or did not happen this summer.  However.  There's too much smoke around Chiarelli shopping Savard for it to be entirely bogus, and it makes too much sense for him to think about it and explore his options.  You have two very good and potentially great NHL centres in Bergeron and Krejci, and you know you'll add another potential top two centre at the draft.  On the flip side, you need scoring off the wing and more mobility and puck smarts on the blueline.  I think it would behoove you to go shopping with a big chip.  And if nothing's available for what you're willing to pay, you walk away.  If Chiarelli wanted to deal Savard for cap space, that would have happened - and we'd have seen this whole medical records problem then.

Chiarelli's explanation re: Thomas makes sense to me.  Everyone and their dog saw TT sit on the bench throughout the playoffs and could see the Bruins were up against the cap.  Go back and count how many people thought the Bruins had to deal TT.  Of course there would be calls, and of course, if Chicago had called and offered Byfuglein and Bolland for Thomas, Chiarelli would have had to consider it, right?  Giving teams permission to talk to Thomas and his agent is a necessary step to avoiding tampering while easing the whole "waiving of NTC".  I'm not convinced that just dumping his salary was on the table once Rask came in on very reasonable dollars (before season's end).

As for guys knowing they're on the block...well, I'm of two minds.  I'm traditional enough to think it's better not to mess with their heads, but I like to think that it's at least honorable not to hide the possiblity from them and leave them be surprised, shocked, and hurt when all the world is in their faces.

Oh: Jalvis - always a good call!
    and Awry: Nope.  BB didn't take it personally.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

http://www.nesn.com/2011/02/peter-chiarelli-looking-at-options-with-good-possibility-of-putting-marc-savard-on-injured-reserve.html

PC doesn't always move as quickly as I would like but he does have a good pulse on the team. I'll need to revisit this thread again around July 10th for GOATs favorite word "evaluate" to see how PC did at the draft and during the first week of free agency I think it will be favorable.

PS. Chiarelli feel free to wave to Burke on the way up to the podium.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

This thread has been resurrected from December, but the message is still very positive.Until today the cap was tight and unrest was evident. Now Peter can make some moves and adjustments. Hamill is an OK fill-in, but others need to be moved or stimulated.

Sections
Shortcuts