The Brooklyn Islanders

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

The Brooklyn Islanders

The Isles are moving. Wang, Snow, Bettman and Bloomberg have a press conference scheduled today at the Barclays Centre to announce that the Isles will be moving to Brooklyn in 2015.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=408031

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Re: The Brooklyn Islanders

Just checked and Barclays only sits 14,500 for hockey, by far the smallest rink in the league.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Klaas. Show Klaas's posts

Based on their historic attendance rate, Barclays makes sense for the Islanders.

http://www.hockeydb.com/nhl-attendance/att_graph.php?tmi=7085

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to red75's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Just checked and Barclays only sits 14,500 for hockey, by far the smallest rink in the league.

[/QUOTE]

That's still considerably more than the Islanders are currently averaging though.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

the brooklyn islanders definitely has a better ring to it than say.... the BROOKLYNETTES! a fitting name for a bunch of premadonna hoopsters if you ask me. still makes me laugh to think of a bunch of tatooed 7 foot guys wearing diamond earings in a kick line. hehe. sorry for the b-ball reference... but i had to.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

Kind of a strange seating configuration for hockey.  One of the ends has two big notches of seating cut out, aligned with the face-off circles. You lose a big chunk of premium seating, and it looks like the clock/screen won't be lined up with centre ice.  I suppose it's that way so that the other end of the ice lines up with the end of the basketball court, but it looks kind of goofy.

http://www.barclayscenter.com/events-tickets/3d-seating-charts

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Well, the rink also has 101 luxury suites, which is 101 more than the Colliseum, so that should help with revenue. And 49, you're right, that is weird seating - no seats at all in two of the corners, which are some of the best seats in most rinks.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

Anything is better than the dump that is the Nassau (Nauseous) Coliseum. The pot smoke from the Grateful Dead shows there 30 years ago is still lingering among the asbestos along with the smell of stale beer and urine. If you went there right now, there would still be women in line for the 2 bathrooms, dating back to last season. They should let the Islanders season holders have a lottery to push the implosion pin.

Even with lowered capacity, moving to Brooklyn can only be a good thing for that franchise.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In response to Klaas's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Based on their historic attendance rate, Barclays makes sense for the Islanders.

http://www.hockeydb.com/nhl-attendance/att_graph.php?tmi=7085

[/QUOTE]
    I knew their attendance was bad, but according to that chart the Isles have only averaged more than 14,500 fans a season three times since Bossy retired. Wow. Guess Barclays will work afterall.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Could this be a ploy to put pressure on Nassau county to build a new arena?

The way Kraft had the move to Hartford all set to go?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

I don't think so BadHab. If it was just a ploy Bloomberg and Bettman wouldn't be showing up at the announcement. Plus McKenzie says it's a done deal.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to BadHabitude's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Could this be a ploy to put pressure on Nassau county to build a new arena?

The way Kraft had the move to Hartford all set to go?

[/QUOTE]

Bingo, Badhab. This is what I think is going on here. Thats a lot of tax revenue leaving Long Island.

BTW, I didnt even know the Nets moved to Brooklyn until last night. I also saw that Jay-z owns the team now and right away changed the colors to the same as the Raiders. What a suprise.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Chang has given them ultimatums for 2-3 years now.  I think it's official.

I would change their name though, the Islanders for Brooklyn ?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Legion, Brooklyn's still on Long Island. Don't see why they'd need to change the name.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to BsLegion's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Chang has given them ultimatums for 2-3 years now.  I think it's official.

I would change their name though, the Islanders for Brooklyn ?

[/QUOTE]

Brooklyn Fist pumpers? Brooklyn Bloomin Onions?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Reading more about this, no, I'll take it back.  Not a ploy.  There's no way the politics will cough up money for a new stadium.  The only possibility I see is if a ton of private money comes into this and that's just not going to happen.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

The hockey part of my brain is dead today.

Has a Stanley Cup winning team ever moved?  In the "modern era" that is, since the original six?

And I mean a 'substantial' move and not just one like the Bruins or Penguins or Montreal (or I think every other cup winner) to another very near by facility.

I *think* this is a first.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

It's only 25 miles - not that much different than the moves you mentioned, and about the same as the Canucks move. And you're right, no modern Cup winning team has moved. The last time a Cup champ relocated was the original Senators to St. Louis.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]

It's only 25 miles - not that much different than the moves you mentioned, and about the same as the Canucks move. And you're right, no modern Cup winning team has moved. The last time a Cup champ relocated was the original Senators to St. Louis.

[/QUOTE]

But the Canucks never won a cup which is just one of the many reasons why they don't matter.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

lol

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Good lord, most of the TSN comments on this story are an argument about whether or not Brooklyn in on an island, which is pretty simple to resolve - you just need to look at a map.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

It's on the Island but it it's never been considered on "The Island"

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

I get it, but it's still a silly discussion, even moreso when you consider that when I lived in Queens I was about a 40 minute walk from where the rink is now, the name of my neighbourhood was Long Island City and outside my window I could see Gantry Plaza with it's massive signs that read in capital letters "LONG ISLAND". Outside of the Bronx, everywhere in NYC is an island. NY Islanders still makes sense to me. Seriously, this is the same town that has two football teams in Jersey called New York.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

Cool, I like the Islanders. Could become a competitive team just in time for their move if these guys continue to develop.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

25 miles?  The distance from the Pacific Coliseum to Rogers Arena is less than 5km (as the crow flies).