The Brooklyn.....Islanders?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

The Brooklyn.....Islanders?

So not really, but interesting to hear bold statements by the new arena owner in Brooklyn that they built 14,500 seats with an intent on hosting more than an occasional NHL game. Can't help but think of attendance struggles in NYI.

I'd imagine they need to seriously consider this.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nhl/story/_/id/7873444/barclays-center-owner-bruce-ratner-hopeful-nhl-tenant

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Re: The Brooklyn.....Islanders?

Something has to be done there. I know Wang tried to get a new rink and whole complex much like Kraft has here but it didnt work out. The arena is terrible and if nothing is done rather soon it will cost them Tavares and other young players, established NHL free-agents seem to avoid that place like the plague. If I were them I'd just move to Quebec.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In Response to The Brooklyn.....Islanders?:
    [QUOTE]So not really, but interesting to hear bold statements by the new arena owner in Brooklyn that they built 14,500 seats with an intent on hosting more than an occasional NHL game. Can't help but think of attendance struggles in NYI. I'd imagine they need to seriously consider this. http://espn.go.com/new-york/nhl/story/_/id/7873444/barclays-center-owner-bruce-ratner-hopeful-nhl-tenant
    Posted by asmaha[/QUOTE]

Bettman's not keen on it, I think he wants their new home to be either in Nassau or Queens

http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey/islanders/nhl-head-bettman-islanders-need-new-home-1.3673799

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Bruce Ratner can make all the statements he wants but James Dolan is one of the most powerful sports owners in North America. I'm sure he was already on the phone ordering Bettman around.

Tery Pegula did it right unlike Jim Balsillie...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

And 14,500 for hockey? A small rink works in a high demand yet low population market like Winnipeg, but would the same strategy work in Brooklyn?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

Given that their average attendance for the past season was only about 13,200, they wouldn't even be able to fill the Brooklyn arena.  However, at some point, you'd like to have the ability to fit in larger crowds when (if?) the team improves to the point where it can draw those numbers.  A 'cap' of 14,500 is pretty limiting for your long-term revenue prospects.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Governor Christie says good riddance to the Nets.  Me thinks the "LLLLonnng Islanders" say the same.  Brooklyn is perfect!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 86redsox. Show 86redsox's posts

aside from novelty, where's the appeal of that team?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Dodgers would be a good name!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

I remember during the realignment talk a bunch of people had excellent ideas on scheduling. One of my favs was a more balanced conference schedule where you play everyone in your half more evenly, everyone from the other conf home-and-home, and it left (2) games to play with...the best idea for those 2 games is to have neutral ice regular season games. Places like Brooklyn for a NYI-NYR game would be a ton of fun, and there are plenty of 12k-16k arenas not currently used for NHL teams that could host these types of games.

Who wouldn't want to see a MTL-BOS game in Quebec, or a BOS-NYR game in Hartford?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

Do it. The Nassau coliseum is a true dump. Took the wife half a period to just go to the bathroom (they have a grand total of 3 of them). I heard that they may need to force it closed due to asbestos issues. They would do better in Bridgeport.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

seo, the Harbor Yard arena or what ever its called? Thats not nearly big enough for an NHL team. My former colleges basket ball team plays there too lol

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

In Response to Re: The Brooklyn.....Islanders?:
    [QUOTE]seo, the Harbor Yard arena or what ever its called? Thats not nearly big enough for an NHL team. My former colleges basket ball team plays there too lol
    Posted by lambda13[/QUOTE]

I'm aware of that. I was just making a point (I wouldn't advocate Brideport for anything), I could have easily said they would do just as well at the Yale Whale (Ingalls Rink). The obvious point is, The Nauseous Coliseum is not a legitmate home for an NHL franchise...and it's too bad, the Isles fans deserve better.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

Haha ok, wasn't sure, its such a small place, you never know

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

Well the Islander name would have to go if they do move to Brooklyn. They'd be the  "HeyYouCantFugginParkDeres"

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In Response to Re: The Brooklyn.....Islanders?:
    [QUOTE]Well the Islander name would have to go if they do move to Brooklyn. They'd be the  "HeyYouCantFugginParkDeres"
    Posted by WalkTheLine[/QUOTE]

I'm thinking Brooklyn Blow Outs, or Brooklyn Fist Pumpers.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

Brooklyn Bombers?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

Hockey in Brooklyn, sounds like it will be super successfull (sarcasm)

The Rangers are the number one seed in the east, and there are still just as many caps fans at their playoff games as their are Rangers fans.

The Isles should definitely get out of NY.