The Bruins and their continued softness.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Uncle-Salty. Show Uncle-Salty's posts

The Bruins and their continued softness.

Not signing Thornton and not being able to sign Iginla are an obvious trend towards the style from the infamous Dave Lewis era. How did that work out again?--- Lewis made Chara into Christain Erhoff and clearly made it known that he not only hated fighting but overall physical play as well. A creampuff like Mark Mowers was absolutely adored by Lewis who played him over a tougher, more physical player. Lewis changed the entire culture of this team and the result wasn't pretty.

Three years ago we had easily the toughest and most feared team in the league as we won the cup. Unless this situation is addressed by free-agency (Cody McCormick would be a good addition) I expect a boring, season where we play roughly .500 and make a first-round exit from the playoffs.

Before someone suggests that Chara, Lucic and Millar/Mcquaid handle the fighting, let's take a look at that. Chara is 37 and not someone who is even that skilled as a fighter. Lucic, while very capable, is one of our best offensive threats. Miller is still unproven and Mquaid plays 5-6 games per year.

We *need* to add grit to the fourth line. Example: Is Jordan Caron a better player than a McCormick? Do we want to see Caron float for another year instead of having a guy who can rough things up when needed? Unfortunately Claude seems to have a strange Mowers/Lewis-like infatuation with Caron which makes our situation even more troubling.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Re: The Bruins and their continued softness.

What?

Thornton is a 37 year-old enforcer with diminishing fighting skills and hockey skills.  When was the last fight he won anyway?  Bye.

B's would sign Iginla, but they have no cap room.  That's not adjusting strategy, it's simply a reality of life in the cap-era.

Your team isn't tough because you have a goon.  If that assumption was true, the Sabres would have been the toughest team in the NHL for the past 2 seasons.  That is until Justin Johnson planted the big doofus, of course.

The Kings are plenty tough and ranked 21st in fighting majors.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

I don't know what PC is thinking.  How does he expect the Bruins to make it out of the first round with Fraser or Florek on the fourth line instead of Thornton?

-GNB, King Of The Forum

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

Thornton OUT best thing that happened to the BRUINS in a century ....him with Pandolfo and flying mosquito are the 3 worst players we had in the last 10 years....we dont need enforcers with players like FAT, MCQUAID, CHARA, HAMILTON, who can take care of themselves players like Parros, Thornton have no business to do in the NHL anymore ....wake up and smell the coffee we are not in the 70's we need talent , Spooner has already wasted a whole season in the AHL, Kokho could also play in the NHL ...ENOUGH IS ENOUGH ....we need talent on this team 

Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011 & 3 more Cups by 2020

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In response to StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's comment:

we dont need enforcers with players like FAT, MCQUAID, CHARA, HAMILTON, who can take care of themselves  

Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011 & 3 more Cups by 2020

Fat, McQuaid, Chara and......ummmmmm........Hamilton ???????

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to goodnewsbears' comment:

I don't know what PC is thinking.  How does he expect the Bruins to make it out of the first round with Fraser or Florek on the fourth line instead of Thornton?

-GNB, King Of The Forum

Well it certainly didn't work all that well having them platoon on the third line :)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to Chowdahkid-'s comment:

Fat, McQuaid, Chara and......ummmmmm........Hamilton ???????

Ha! you never know. Ever see Hamilton fight? Me neither lol

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I'll defer to Chowdah on the details, but I think he fought twice in Niagara, and only one was because he absolutely lost his nut on a guy who was "agitating".  He's not a wallflower, but you don't want him fighting someone who knows what they're doing.

Are you not entertained?!?!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

I could see that. He's a big kid but I have never seen him even approaching the type of aggression on the ice needed to drop the mitts.

Images in my head of Dougie in a fight is Wheeler (that one and only time)or Caron when he does it.....s**ting their pants and hoping to god they fall down at the first punch.

But, again, you just never know.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

The measure is flawed, but I'm not sure I disagree with the premise.  I don't care if they fight less or are "feared".  There will always be guys - a lot of guys - who go into the corner second because they know Lucic is coming and who slow up on the forecheck knowing Chara is back there getting the puck.  That's functional fear, not the "oh no, the big bad Bruins might beat me up" kind of thing that probably hasn't existed since the instigator rule and the end of line brawls where every once in a while, Denis Savard lined up with Dave Brown.

What I'm not crazy about is the number of guys in the system who are under 200lbs.  Like Fletch said on the draft thread, tall skinny guys are the most fun to hit.  Guys built like a barrel are not.  Even when you initiate the contact, you pay a price, and that's been key for the Bruins for the last 4 or 5 years.  People want to look at hits and say the Bruins are or are not physical.  That's not the point for a team that plays a pretty solid possession, tempo-control game.  If you possess the puck a lot, you're going to get hit a lot, and you want that contact to wear down the chaser not the chased.  Hitting Krug must be kinda fun.  Hitting Hamilton is getting less fun as he fills out.  Hitting Spooner, Khokhlachev, Worseoffsky, Bartkowski, Eriksson - no one will hesitate.

The Bruins and the Kings both had a dozen guys tip the scales at 209 or more.  The difference with the Kings is that they didn't have anyone under 189.  Big guys who roam the ice and win puck battles.

I think this is why you're more likely to see Fraser and Florek next year than Khokhlachev and Griffith and Cunningham.  Bigger bodies.  Looks like they'll have to find a way to use Spooner, too, though, and he's the lightest guy among the forwards.  Similarly, you'll see Trotman over Worseoffsky - Trotman's 220.

Are you not entertained?!?!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

And also why replacing Iginla with the likes of Vrbata (if it happens) is a net loss in this respect as well

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"Worseoffsky"

Dang twice even...where's a constable when I need him. Issue a moving violation on this one Kelv!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

The whole premise that they lose something but letting ST go makes no sense to me.
    Yeah, he was "tough" and was an enforcer, But he missed almost every check he went out of his way to try and make. I don't recall the last time I saw him come out of the corner after winning a puck battle. He and his 6 minutes a game are no loss.

But I do agree they do need to get/keep some size and grit up front. The Kings were indeed punishing in their style of play.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Uncle-Salty. Show Uncle-Salty's posts

I didn't say I wanted Thornton back. I want him replaced with a younger version.

It's a disturbing trend that Chiarelli is on with the little wimpys drafted and such.

If this trend continues the Bs will be softer than I was after watching that "Golden Girls" marathon on Nick at Night a while back.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

In response to Uncle-Salty's comment:

I didn't say I wanted Thornton back. I want him replaced with a younger version.

It's a disturbing trend that Chiarelli is on with the little wimpys drafted and such.

If this trend continues the Bs will be softer than I was after watching that "Golden Girls" marathon on Nick at Night a while back.

I think you greatly underestimate the ability of the Bruins front office.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from riptide757. Show riptide757's posts

Not signing Thornton and not being able to sign Iginla are an obvious trend towards the style from the infamous Dave Lewis era. How did that work out again?--- Lewis made Chara into Christain Erhoff and clearly made it known that he not only hated fighting but overall physical play as well. A creampuff like Mark Mowers was absolutely adored by Lewis who played him over a tougher, more physical player. Lewis changed the entire culture of this team and the result wasn't p

Three years ago we had easily the toughest and most feared team in the league as we won the cup. Unless this situation is addressed by free-agency (Cody McCormick would be a good addition) I expect a boring, season where we play roughly .500 and make a first-round exit from the playoffs.

Before someone suggests that Chara, Lucic and Millar/Mcquaid handle the fighting, let's take a look at that. Chara is 37 and not someone who is even that skilled as a fighter. Lucic, while very capable, is one of our best offensive threats. Miller is still unproven and Mquaid plays 5-6 games per year.

We *need* to add grit to the fourth line. Example: Is Jordan Caron a better player than a McCormick? Do we want to see Caron float for another year instead of having a guy who can rough things up when needed? Unfortunately Claude seems to have a strange Mowers/Lewis-like infatuation with Caron which makes our situation even more troubling.

I understand your premise but whether we like it or not the leage is moving away from thayt syle of play ever so slowly and especially evident in playoff competition. did you see many if any fights in all the playoffs? stanley cup? nope!  and the Bruins as far as i know have gone 3 straight playoff series without the need to drop the gloves so guys like Thorton become useless. the Bruins still have plenty of grit up front and especially on the back end and still one of the most feared if not the most feared in the NHL.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Watching a Golden Girls marathon ? Sheesh !!!!!!!!!!

Your taste in entertainment is similar to that of an 80 year old lady.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pucman. Show pucman's posts

Energy from a 4th line is just as important as fisticuffs. When you tap a 4th line in & they go out and bang bodies for a shift that's more of a game changer then Thornton asking someone "you want to go?"

Sections
Shortcuts